Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Looks incredible, I'd be proud of it too. Washington definitely has more than its fair share of great scenery for landscapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted my first ever oil painting today, a simple river and some hills.

Glad I signed up for some classes, trying to follow stuff on youtube wasn't really working for me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted a pear today. next weekend in class I'm going to learn how to paint a glaze over it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thank you! Yeah it's oils on canvas, but from a canvas pad.

I cannot believe how much fun I'm having with oil painting, wish I had been exposed to it at a younger age.

I've gone through a whole pad of canvas and a whole tube of white paint in the last week, mostly just painting different color variations of the river landscape I posted earlier.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted an apple today.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

More practice.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted some candles.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks everyone! Having a ton of fun getting back into art while I'm unemployed. Taking both an oil painting and a drawing class right now. The drawing class is only 2 months but I'll probably just always keep the oil painting class going, it's taught by a local longtime professional artist.

So far my oil painting teacher has only had me paint with 100% oil paint, haven't touched any mediums yet.

I should have waited longer to paint the white, the red paint was still wet almost a week later and had to be careful to keep it from blending together.

The black line on the tray was also kind of difficult just because I had a hard time keeping it straight for that long. Guess I need to get one of those bridge things.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A couple great looking birds! Love Silicone Thrill's crow, and Harvey is yours some kind of kingfisher?

I painted something "loose and expressive" for the first time. Definitely not my style, but it was fun to do something different.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Also painted some watermelons, didn't go dark enough with the values of the lower parts closer to the bowl.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

When life gives you lemons...

I need to get some better detail brushes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Touched up shadows and highlights.

Even my smallest brush felt too big for this part.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thank you! I'm a student of a local professional artist with like 50 years of oil painting experience and several decades of teaching experience. He's been great at giving me increasingly difficult projects to work on and tips for improvement, I'll definitely keep being a student of his unless he eventually retires.

Making your own cards has something I've been interested in lately too, and I've already replaced hallmark style cards with cards designed by local artists. I like how that one turned out! Reminds me of the finches that hang out in the tree by my back porch.

Gouache and watercolors is something I want to start learning as well and work into my painting repertoire.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Comstar posted:

Hello art forum. I have never had a reason to post here before.

Is there a specific thread for watching Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting and finally taking the plunge or is this the right one?

That looks great! Especially for just starting out, I started oil painting this past summer myself.

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah there's no exact right way to do the thing other than get the paint out of the brush. But in general try to keep the toxins contained as much as you can.

Speaking of - finished a few paintings. neither of these are varnished yet.

18x24 oil The Tulip Girls

I messed up the bench a little bit so its a tiny bit wonky so im actually repainting this on a 12x12 so i can focus in a bit better and try some other techniques but I really loved the photo I took so im gonna probably paint a few things off it.

9x12 oil Carkeek Crow

I just like crows as per usual.

Both look great, but really love the light and color in The Tulip Girls.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For those of you painting with layers, how long do you wait between sessions, and what medium(s) are you using? I just did a yellow mixed with gamsol for an underpainting of a landscape I'm about to start.

So far my painting teacher has just had me do pure oil paint directly on the canvas, with some minimal painting a week or more after most of it has dried.

Also looking at works by the "old masters" many of them paint in a way that minimizes the appearance of brush strokes, and I'm curious what methods they used while painting. I'm assuming it's definitely a medium of some kind being mixed with the paint? Painting with just pure oil paint seems impossible to hide brush strokes. The way I've mostly been painting seems like it would lend itself better to techniques that hide brushstrokes.

However this landscape I'm about to start I'm actually planning on painting more "loose" and "expressive".

edit: and one thing that annoys me about using pure oil paint is when I'm close to my paintings I can see tiny spots of the white canvas underneath because the paint is too thick to get into every nook and crevice of the canvas.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Don't really like how this one turned out but it's my first ever portrait. Reference painting had lots of shadows and it was tough to emulate.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks everyone!

databasic posted:

Agreed! It's very good for a first portrait! (I am so afraid of portraits, so this is awesome to me.)

It does look like harsh lighting, but overall, it seems like you captured the forms and levels of the face really well in a slightly abstract way. Not sure whether you're looking for feedback/what kind you're looking for, but the hair is a little structurally confusing to me. Do you have a pic of the source?

Out of curiosity, did you use acrylics or oils?

Definitely always welcome to feedback, and I agree about the hair. Initially I was trying to get the thick paint for the hair that's in the reference.

Worked on it some more today, darkened some shadows, the background, and started messing with the hair a bit. Eventually going to go back in with more light colors.

Also next to the reference picture I'm using.

edit: I only use oils

Mustang fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 19, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Love it! What's your process for making stuff like that?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Interesting! Will have to read up more on how that's done.

Current project and my second portrait. Pretty happy with how it's coming along.

edit: wish I could pull off the fluid strokes of the reference painting, but I think it's because I'm not using any kind of medium. My painting teacher is going to start teaching me to use galkyd lite in my next project.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Did some more work on this one. Think I'm going to find a movie screenshot for my next portrait.