Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Op is great but just FYI Sprint sells LTE iPads too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Isn't it like $10 a year for 20 gigs.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Space Racist posted:

Traded my 16 gig iPad 3 toward a 64 gig Air 2, and all I can say is holy crap is the difference in speed amazing. Such a pleasure to use thus far.

Orientation lock switch though! :argh: My only real gripe.

Anyway, here's hoping the extra system RAM and CPU core allow real multitasking in iOS 9.

What do you mean by real multitasking.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Gnomedolf posted:

I agree with what's been said about the Create keyboard. The keyboard itself is great, but it adds way too much bulk for me. The Apple keyboard is the style I like. I just wish it had backlit keys and a Home button key like the Create has. Maybe in a future model...

Command+Shift+H will make it go home but yeah, a dedicated key would be better.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

metztli posted:

I do a lot of flowcharting and diagramming, and the Pro + Pencil is really nice for that as well. The palm rejection is wizardry compared to the Air + pencil by 53.

What app do you use for that?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

wooly posted:

For night shift, why would you use sunrise/sunset though? It's not like you need less sleep in the summer, more in the winter is it?

Huh? I thought the setting just meant when the sun sets, it will enable night shift mode and when the sun rises, it will disable it. Presumably because the sun is set when most people go to bed.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Actually, if you follow any of the deals sites like 9to5toys, pretty much all of Apple's poo poo goes on sale from small regional websites or sellers on eBay all the time. I already saw sales for the 2016 MacBook for $100 off and AppleCare+ from like Appleinsider. If you can find a good deal on the big pro, jump on it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Laserface posted:

I've been employed in an IT role and my predecessor set up an ipad with a bunch of locked down restrictions. Unfortunately, the code for restrictions is different to the PIN and was not documented and they dont know what it is.

can I just factory reset it or am I going to need the restriction access code?

EDIT: cant even wipe the loving thing without the restriction code. had to reassign the email alias for the old IT guy to my account, reset the password, and then remote wipe via find my device.

For future reference, you can still wipe it without the restrictions code by powering it off, holding the home button, plugging it into iTunes and selecting Restore device from iTunes when it detects it. Just forces it into recovery mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204306

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

The Lord Bude posted:

Why should I have to wait while Apple repairs something? In Australian law, I'm the one that gets to decide whether Apple (or the retailer) repairs, gives me a new one, or just gives me a refund. Apple has no say whatsoever in the matter. That's how it should be.

The Apple site detailing the Australian consumer law doesn't say anything about having to give you an out of the box new phone, just that they will repair or replace it. You'll get a refurb and like it.

Actually, I just remembered I have a coworker who worked at an Apple Store in Australia last year, I will ask them to confirm. Pretty sure you get the same replacement stock everyone else does. You could maybe take it to a civil court or whatever and make them give you a new one but in store you'd get the refurb.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

EconOutlines posted:

iPad users, especially iPad Pro + stylus users, how useful do you(or would you) find it for school vs a MacBook? I had one a few years back but it really didn't seem to be too productive. Perhaps that's changed now with apps/accessories like stylus & keyboard.

I have a desktop at home, its more for doing stuff between classes or for when I travel. So its up in the air of this vs a MacBook purchase at this point.

I use my Big Pro and a Stylus for note taking and scratch paper with Evernote. I got so accustomed to using it that when the battery in my Pencil needed to be charged I felt helpless, haha. It's really good for note taking.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
It might get upgraded in a few months because its been almost a year since it came out but it's still great. I got it near launch and I've pretty much switched to iPad Pro only. Sold my MacBook to pay for it. There are apps for everything you need, and now it has Office on there so you can do your writing poo poo. Worst case you can use Splashtop to remote into your Mac Mini if you NEED OSX for something.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Im using my big pro as my desktop replacement. I use the Smart Keyboard case and the pencil. For printing I use my printer which supports AirPrint. For any websites that don't work in safari I use Puffin.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm just glad Google Maps finally updated to support retina resolutions on the big ipad. Looks great now.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Splinter posted:

Refurb iPad Air 2 just arrived and the touch screen seems to be incredibly defective. It doesn't seem to register all touches and when it does it is often slow to react and/or inputs multiple characters (even though the visual feedback only shows one character press on the soft keyboard). Took me at least 10 minutes to enter a simple 9 character all lowercase wifi password and slide to shut down doesn't work at all. Is there a possibility they will exchange it on the spot if I take it to an Apple store, or should I just mail it back?

It has the same warranty as a new iPad so if you take it to the Apple Store they will exchange it, you would still need an appointment but it should be exchanged once they see you if they have it in stock.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Splinter posted:

I now have a store appointment tomorrow after phone support had me update from 10.3 to 10.3.2 which didn't resolve the issue, but is there actually a chance they would have an Air 2 in stock? I would assume not since it's now discontinued and only available from the refurb store, but maybe that's not the case? If not, I suppose they could replace it with a 2017 iPad, but that would require upgrading me from 64GB to 128GB, so that doesn't seem too likely. Also, I do like the thinness and the fully laminated display of the Air 2.

I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks on Saturday, so if there's not a decent chance I'd leave the Apple Store tomorrow with a working iPad it makes more sense time wise to just return this iPad via mail and order a new one once I return.

They still have 4S's in stock for Genius Bar purposes. They usually always have 1 or 2 of everything. I think there's a chance they have an Air 2.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I just sold my old big pro and pre-ordered the new big one with 256gb. I can't wait. I'm thinking they are going to wait another year and a half before refreshing this one so it's nice to get in the ground floor. I actually use the pencil so I will notice the difference with the new screen. Worth it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

GoldfishStew posted:

Yo how much you get

I just looked on the Craigslist in my area at what they were selling for and tossed it on for $610 and it sold in a few hours. May have been able to fetch $650 if I waited but that's good enough for me.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Weedle posted:

I just reset my iPad to try to resolve some springboard freezes I was experiencing. I made sure I had a current iCloud backup, then went to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, and it asked me to enter my iCloud password to remove the iPad from my iCloud account. I guess this must have deleted the iCloud backup, because when I selected "Restore from iCloud backup" during the setup process, it said it couldn't find any backups, and when I checked my iCloud account from my phone, there was no longer a backup of my iPad listed there. What the gently caress happened? Did I do something wrong?

Do you have 2 factor authentication enabled? Try disabling it and then trying to restore the backup again. There's a bug with it that causes iCloud backups to not show up sometimes.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Hughlander posted:

Just got my 10.5 iPad Pro with pencil. I'm looking for two apps I've used when borrowing other people's pros but I can't remember. Both are for pencil.

The first was a drawing program. It had a shape converter. Draw a square a line and arrow push a button and it became perfect square straight line, imbedded arrow. The other thing I remember is if you scribbled over some writing it would be erased. edit this was Nebo

Second is a note taking program that did near instant OCR of written letters. As you'd write it would automatically scroll the 'page'. Other than that I don't recall anything about it.

Second one might be MyScript Nebo MyScript Nebo – Note Taking for Apple Pencil by MyScript
https://appsto.re/us/Qr8Ucb.i

I got my new 12.9 on Friday. I'm keeping it on iOS 10. The Promotion display is so cool and smooth looking, you don't even think about it but pretty much everything I do on my iPad involves scrolling and this makes it easier on the eyes. The Truetone feature is neat too. Definitely worth the upgrade if you can sell your old one and only be out of pocket $200 or so. I haven't even gotten a chance to use my pencil on the new screen yet but that will probably make it worth it even more.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Has anyone figured out a way to view HDR content on the new iPads?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I use Splashtop and it can remote into anything. Really great at streaming video from it, too.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

logikv9 posted:

Currently have a pro 9.7 that I use for writing and annotating PDFs. Always felt like it was too cramped for those purposes though. How is the 10.5 for writing, does that minimal size bump really make a difference?

I would jump to the 12.9 but that's definitely just a tad too big, and a waste of money since it's behind in specs now.

The 12.9 and the 10.5 have the same specs?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
You can run 4, technically. 2 in split view, one in slide over, and a video in picture in picture mode.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Make sure you've gone to Settings -> Notes -> Access Notes from Lock Screen and turn it on. I had to do that before it started working that way.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Hamburlgar posted:

My 12.9" Smart Keyboard has been playing up for a month now and had to buy a new one. Super infuriating having 'this cable or accessory is not supported' pop up with an official apple product...

There’s a quality program by Apple to replace those for free for 3 years from date of purchase. Should have done that. Return the new one.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Protube was good but after it died I switched to Tubextreme and it does everything protube did and more.

If you have an iPad, get Tubextreme, it allows background playing and PiP.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Well, it’s either that fixes it or it’s a hardware multitouch issue that would require replacing the iPad anyway. Just make sure it’s backed up.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Post a picture of the crack.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

bobfather posted:

Has anyone had to ask Apple to replace their iPad Pro keyboard that has begun to malfunction?

I’ve heard that if you can demonstrate a defect in a store they’ll give you a new one, no problem, but the keyboard I have was a gift so I don’t have a receipt. Think they’ll still take care of me?

They have a quality program for the iPad Pro keyboards that lasts 3 years so you should be good to take it in and get it swapped out. Hard part is reading the serial number from the Smart Keyboard.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
That’s been happening to me too, on the latest iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 11. Very annoying. Usually fixed by turning the screen off and back on

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also (semi-unrelated), you can probably count on the iPad Pros getting a price increase like the iPhone did if Apple adds FaceID.

Based on nothing at all but my guess, I think they'll bump the Pro's up $100 each to $749 for the 10.5 and $899 for the 12.9 but drop the price of the regular iPad to $299 and then upgrade the mini for probably the same price as their budget options. And I'm gonna buy the new big Pro even though my 2017 Big Pro is just fine.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The first thing I did when I got my iPad was make my Memoji and send it to my friends. I spent $1200 for this. I had a perfectly good 2017 iPad Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I have both Orion and Genki Studio and used them both to play my Xbox using the iPad as the display. Genki was free and felt like the latency was lower. I preferred Genki.