Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

The best phone in the world charges super fast.

Nokia 3310i 🤔?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

Somehow my Pro 12.9 has insane durability as well. I have dropped it sooooooo many times, and I use it without a case. It has numerous dents in the side (all of which are small, the metal must be pretty tough). But somehow it still works like a champ and the actual screen glass is immaculate.

Of course now after saying this, I will break the screen tomorrow.

I've also dropped my without-a-case 12.9 god-knows-how-many times. Like. A lot of times. And it has a couple dents and that's the extent of it. I don't know how it's so loving durable. I'm a dude who's broke 3 iPads previously. My Applecare+ is going to be a waste!

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is the new 2017 iPad any good or should I spring for the 10" iPad Pro?

Second question, why is the iPad Pro even a thing? Like I mean, you're still severely limited to iOS and the App store. Not trying to be ignorant, hoping someone can legitimately tell me what they do on a pro iPad because all I ever do is just web browse and watch movies and I have no idea how I would use an iPad as a serious productivity thing.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 24, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you draw? get the iPad Pro.
It also has a better screen than the new iPad. Wider colour reproduction, better coating.
If you don't care about that stuff just get a regular iPad or even an Air 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The screen on the 2017 iPad isn't as good, and it's a bit slower, but probably nothing you'll notice in normal use. It's an excellent deal at its price point.

As for the iPad Pro, lots of creative types really like the Pencil and what can be done with that. I just like that it's big, so I can read comics at closer to real size. If there was a 12.9" non-Pro, I'm sure I'd be perfectly content with it. That said, for everyone who has been discouraged by the regular iPad's non-active screen that's wanted to use one to take notes, I could see it being very useful.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ipad pro is really good for notes too - i take physical notes on it with the pencil and record at the same time, love it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Like Phallus said, better screen, Pencil support. The CPU is also better (may want to wait for the refresh to keep that true) and you've got that smart connector which conceivably could add additional upgrade functionality as time goes on. The smart connector keyboard makes typing on an iPad so much nicer. Finally the speakers are far better on the Pro.

Also, according to people in this thread iPad Pros never shatter when you drop them. Don't test this.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I use my 10" pro quite a bit for stuff I used to just use my laptop for. Note-taking, photo editing, and even a bit of coding (mostly just snippets I write in Bear for later).

I would say that a regular laptop is still better at most of these things. I often find myself wishing I could use my Magic Trackpad instead of pawing at the screen, but the portability & general niceness of iOS are worth it to me. Since I'm on break from classes I mostly use it for reading or playing around with the synths in gadget, or watching TV shows in bed :v:

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So the pro's screen is better than the non-pro. Would I be at a considerable loss trying to watch movies on a non-pro iPad in a bright setting? Would the pro then be a better choice for that?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
probably not - unless you were using the speakers, then the audio would noticeably be worse

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

kiwid posted:

So the pro's screen is better then, would I be at a considerable loss trying to watch movies on a non-pro iPad in a bright setting? Would the pro then be better at that?

The anti-reflective coating is alright. I've never noticed too much of a difference. Any tablet is going to be tough to read in bright sunlight. Don't think the Pro has somehow solved that issue. It'll be usable in more circumstances, but if that's what's keeping you on the bubble it's probably not worth the extra money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably not something you'd notice without putting them side by side, really.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I have an older mini and a 9.7" iPad Pro. I use both for music production. You'd be surprised how many capable synths and clever, near-professional music creation apps there are. That said, multitasking on the Pro is really nice, as well as a noticeable difference with the Pro speakers in stereo.

Still can't bring myself to ditch the mini, though, so I started using it for reading and as a teaching tool during drum lessons. Love the form factor.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Refurb iPad Air 2 just arrived and the touch screen seems to be incredibly defective. It doesn't seem to register all touches and when it does it is often slow to react and/or inputs multiple characters (even though the visual feedback only shows one character press on the soft keyboard). Took me at least 10 minutes to enter a simple 9 character all lowercase wifi password and slide to shut down doesn't work at all. Is there a possibility they will exchange it on the spot if I take it to an Apple store, or should I just mail it back?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Splinter posted:

Refurb iPad Air 2 just arrived and the touch screen seems to be incredibly defective. It doesn't seem to register all touches and when it does it is often slow to react and/or inputs multiple characters (even though the visual feedback only shows one character press on the soft keyboard). Took me at least 10 minutes to enter a simple 9 character all lowercase wifi password and slide to shut down doesn't work at all. Is there a possibility they will exchange it on the spot if I take it to an Apple store, or should I just mail it back?

It has the same warranty as a new iPad so if you take it to the Apple Store they will exchange it, you would still need an appointment but it should be exchanged once they see you if they have it in stock.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Biodome posted:

It has the same warranty as a new iPad so if you take it to the Apple Store they will exchange it, you would still need an appointment but it should be exchanged once they see you if they have it in stock.

I now have a store appointment tomorrow after phone support had me update from 10.3 to 10.3.2 which didn't resolve the issue, but is there actually a chance they would have an Air 2 in stock? I would assume not since it's now discontinued and only available from the refurb store, but maybe that's not the case? If not, I suppose they could replace it with a 2017 iPad, but that would require upgrading me from 64GB to 128GB, so that doesn't seem too likely. Also, I do like the thinness and the fully laminated display of the Air 2.

I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks on Saturday, so if there's not a decent chance I'd leave the Apple Store tomorrow with a working iPad it makes more sense time wise to just return this iPad via mail and order a new one once I return.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you go to the Apple Refurb store page, you can check to see if a certain item/configuration is available in store. It also looks like they can send stuff to the store for in-store pickup, so in theory they can get a unit sent there for you.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Splinter posted:

I now have a store appointment tomorrow after phone support had me update from 10.3 to 10.3.2 which didn't resolve the issue, but is there actually a chance they would have an Air 2 in stock? I would assume not since it's now discontinued and only available from the refurb store, but maybe that's not the case? If not, I suppose they could replace it with a 2017 iPad, but that would require upgrading me from 64GB to 128GB, so that doesn't seem too likely. Also, I do like the thinness and the fully laminated display of the Air 2.

I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks on Saturday, so if there's not a decent chance I'd leave the Apple Store tomorrow with a working iPad it makes more sense time wise to just return this iPad via mail and order a new one once I return.

They still have 4S's in stock for Genius Bar purposes. They usually always have 1 or 2 of everything. I think there's a chance they have an Air 2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Apple Stores keep stock of most everything. Unless a bunch of people come in with defective iPads Air 2, you should be able to leave with a fresh refurb.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

kiwid posted:

Is the new 2017 iPad any good or should I spring for the 10" iPad Pro?

Second question, why is the iPad Pro even a thing? Like I mean, you're still severely limited to iOS and the App store. Not trying to be ignorant, hoping someone can legitimately tell me what they do on a pro iPad because all I ever do is just web browse and watch movies and I have no idea how I would use an iPad as a serious productivity thing.

The new iPad is a great device for iPad stuff, exactly the way you said it: watching movies and web browsing. The iPad Pros aren't significantly better at the casual stuff, but are definitely more powerful so running stuff like Office apps will work nicer (also the drawing stuff people mentioned). If you don't plan on using it as a full computer, the main benefit of the Pro would be better sound. The laminated screen is nicer but really isn't that big a deal of you're not using it bright (sun)light.

I also can't imagine iOS for work stuff, I was forced to do it for a while when I had no laptop and not having an accessible filesystem is a major pain in the rear end. Even when only dealing with Office documents, notes and e-mail. Simple stuff like attaching files to an e-mail were at times a major headache or downright impossible (saved a doc to Dropbox? Guess what, you can only send it as an external link). Now I have to admit: I've talked about this with a friend and supposedly you don't run into all this mess when you go full Apple: Pages for PDFs, the official e-mail app.. I use a lot of stuff like Microsoft Office (saves to Dropbox or OneDrive), the Gmail app, etc. So basically the iPad Pro does most of what people want out of a computer pretty well, but you have to accept that using it as a computer comes with a limited range of options for doing each task.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I Am Crake posted:

The new iPad is a great device for iPad stuff, exactly the way you said it: watching movies and web browsing. The iPad Pros aren't significantly better at the casual stuff, but are definitely more powerful so running stuff like Office apps will work nicer (also the drawing stuff people mentioned). If you don't plan on using it as a full computer, the main benefit of the Pro would be better sound. The laminated screen is nicer but really isn't that big a deal of you're not using it bright (sun)light.

I also can't imagine iOS for work stuff, I was forced to do it for a while when I had no laptop and not having an accessible filesystem is a major pain in the rear end. Even when only dealing with Office documents, notes and e-mail. Simple stuff like attaching files to an e-mail were at times a major headache or downright impossible (saved a doc to Dropbox? Guess what, you can only send it as an external link). Now I have to admit: I've talked about this with a friend and supposedly you don't run into all this mess when you go full Apple: Pages for PDFs, the official e-mail app.. I use a lot of stuff like Microsoft Office (saves to Dropbox or OneDrive), the Gmail app, etc. So basically the iPad Pro does most of what people want out of a computer pretty well, but you have to accept that using it as a computer comes with a limited range of options for doing each task.

I've never used it as a full computer replacement, but I use it extensively with the Pencil. It's fantastically good for PDF annotation and diagram creation using OmniGraffle (pro version can export vxd format). Since a lot of my work is project based I find myself using it at least a couple hours a day.

I haven't gone the Apple Works route, but instead use MS Office and OneDrive with my work O365 account. I'm not sure how well it works with BOX or Dropbox, but Outlook for iOS works great with OneDrive.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Also we us Gsuite at work and with all the apps and google drive my iPad is pretty good for work. Especially with the keyboard case and pencil.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I use my 12.9" iPad Pro quite often as a "full-desktop" replacement, mostly by Remote Desktoping into Windows systems. I like Jump Desktop for this, since aside from being a great RDP/VNC client it also supports a couple mice.

With a decent keyboard and a supported mouse, I can't see ever needing a laptop ever again. Even without those devices, Jump Desktop using touch mousing and on-screen keyboard is passably decent for quite a few simple tasks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've mentioned it before in this thread, but I tried to use an iPad Pro extensively in my last job as a network engineer and it worked surprisingly well. Outlook was fine, Excel was okay, Word was great. OneNote was loving awesome because the iPad camera made adding visual notes much easier. Plus, Pencil support.

I didn't have Visio, but there's no Mac version either. SSH was meh, but still usable. Good enough that I'd take my iPad with me into the data center instead of a laptop if I was logging into devices for testing.

My biggest problem was the mobile browser. Ticketing web apps like Remedy almost worked, but are just incompatible enough to make the experience miserable. I give it two more upgrade cycles before mobile browsers are as good as desktop.

Ironically the file system was the best part. No laptop I've ever owned could pull up a PDF faster than the iPad. You just had to tag stuff you needed to find instead of sticking everything in labeled folders. So there was slightly more work on the front end, but tagging poo poo is the future of all file organization, iPad or not.

A significant number of kids starting high school right now will never own a desktop or laptop at work or home and they won't miss anything.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Completely agree. Hell im in my 30s and ditched the new MacBook for the pro after taking both for their 30 day return policy trial runs

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just how likely is Apple updating the 12.9 at WWDC? Do they usually do hardware there? I fell for the rumors of a march update so I sold mine and I want to buy a new one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When they launch hardware at WWDC, it's generally *new* hardware, not refreshed. Not to say it won't happen, but I'm not entirely sure it will happen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah I'd assume the 10.5 inch will be the big announcement iPad wise and maybe a new pencil?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
As some of y'all may have seen in HTS, I've been nursing a 2010 MacBook Air long for years, dealing with power cord troubles, gunked airflow, etc. I finally took it to a great little computer shop in Portland OR that cleaned it top-to-bottom and put in a new battery, though it's still kinda slow (HD is packed) and the track-pad a little wonky, but at least it works.

I'd been avoiding buying a new MacBook because they just don't excite me; they're basically the same externally as what I have now, just faster. Going from a white plastic brick 2005 MacBook to the 2010 Air was absolutely amazing, and I wanted that feeling again. Well, I got it by getting a 9.7 iPad Pro and a Logitech Create case, and it's just adorable and quick as hell and interfaces with my phone and the Apple Watch I have coming in.

I'm going to back-up and empty out my Air of everything but MS Suite and whatnot, and give it to my 13yr old cousin when he comes to stay for the summer in Montreal. Thanks thread(s) for all the past help.

Quick new question: I really didn't think I need an Apple Pencil, since I don't draw much, but I'm sufficiently stoked by my new rig to give it a shot. Should I instead wait and see if the aftermarket makes a better non-Apple one, or is the AP probably as good as it gets? And the white looks lovely, is there any company that can do a hydro-wrap on it or something (not just a sticker, something durable) to make it cool? I would love to have it with a Bakelite wrap, for example. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Trawl eBay or Craigslist for a used pencil or buy one from Apple and return it if you don't like it.

If you go with CL, try to see proof of purchase to make sure you're not buying stolen goods.

E: we might see a new pencil at WWDC so either way wait. If we get a gen2, then Gen one prices will drop for secondhand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The 12 inch IPad Pro is almost certainly going to be updated when they announce the new 10.5. It's running a slower processor than the 9.7 and has a worse screen. I really think the Pencil will see a 2.0 announcement as well. There current one is just annoying enough that Apple knows early adopters will buy it along with new users.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What are the things that people speculate Apple would improve with a v2 Pencil? One thing I don't like about it is not having a way to check the battery on the Pencil and not knowing until 5% what the battery life is. I also don't like that there is no way to keep it with the iPad - an elastic loop on the Smart Keyboard would have been great. I don't think that they would change either of these though so what are the issues that might be changed?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Krispy Kareem posted:

The 12 inch IPad Pro is almost certainly going to be updated when they announce the new 10.5. It's running a slower processor than the 9.7 and has a worse screen. I really think the Pencil will see a 2.0 announcement as well. There current one is just annoying enough that Apple knows early adopters will buy it along with new users.

The processor upgrade, while necessary for hardware parity is just silly at this point. The iPad Air 2 is still fast enough for most things iPad in 2017.

I also think the truetone screen is a downgrade, not an upgrade. I do photo editing on my iPad and the idea of the iPad dynamically altering screen temperature gives me a headache.

I do think the iPad Pro 12.9 needs to be bundled with the 45W adapter by default, along with a USB-C to Lightning cable.

I'm also afraid that the 10.5 Pro is going to be a much better device than the 12.9, which I find to be heavy and have relatively poor battery life compared to the other iPads. Time will tell!

bobfather fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 25, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

What are the things that people speculate Apple would improve with a v2 Pencil? One thing I don't like about it is not having a way to check the battery on the Pencil and not knowing until 5% what the battery life is. I also don't like that there is no way to keep it with the iPad - an elastic loop on the Smart Keyboard would have been great. I don't think that they would change either of these though so what are the issues that might be changed?

Shorter. As it stands now it's an awkward shape. Also an improved charging method. Maybe a software option to turn it off. I hate charging it 100% and having it dead when I go to use it again because it's always on. It needs better power management for infrequent users.

But I'll settle for a better battery and non-retarded charging

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

One thing I don't like about it is not having a way to check the battery on the Pencil and not knowing until 5% what the battery life is.

Put the Batteries widget on your "Today View" screen. Then just swipe down to see your Pencil's battery level.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh poo poo. I didn't know I could do that - thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Shorter. As it stands now it's an awkward shape. Also an improved charging method. Maybe a software option to turn it off. I hate charging it 100% and having it dead when I go to use it again because it's always on. It needs better power management for infrequent users.

But I'll settle for a better battery and non-retarded charging

My gast is still flabbered that there's no way to use the Smart Connector to charge *and* store the pencil. It's already used to power the Apple and Logitech keyboards, I'm sure they could have figured out the Pencil. I'm sure at this point it would be a major overhaul from an engineering and design perspective, but I just don't get why it wasn't considered at the get go instead of this really clumsy charging and no native way to store/dock the Pencil with the iPad Pro.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I Am Crake posted:

I find that iCloud Drive works well enough as a file system. I can't think of any apps I use that can't access it, and I'm by no means "full apple."

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah a lot of that just isn't true, at least anymore. Office has full Dropbox and iCloud integration. So does final draft, and my niche email client, protonmail.

I prefer Dropbox to iCloud for my documents folder but try stuff out and see what you like. I basically tested different stuff for a month and settled on what worked best for me.

Splitscreening is so dope and useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, Apple Stores keep stock of most everything. Unless a bunch of people come in with defective iPads Air 2, you should be able to leave with a fresh refurb.

The store I had the appointment at didn't have any matching models in stock, but thankfully another nearby store did. Woot!