Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It has nothing to do with power. The 3rd gen iPad doesn't have the new network chipset to support AirDrop.

Absolutely correct. The newer broadcom chipset allows airdrop to create and connect to an adhoc network connection between devices for airdrop. Jailbreakers will likely enable it so that you can airdrop when you're on the same wifi as friends, but the Apple version requires a direct wifi connect to the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I need a gold 128GB iPad to go with my Gold plated AK.

Then you can charge it on the nightstand that is holding up this beauty:
http://www.zuomod.com/shop/artemis-table-lamp/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

drat, t-mobile is playing hard ball. Apparently they're going to be offering the iPads on their no-contract contracts. Buy the iPad, get a free 200 megs, the option to buy unlimited week passes for vacation, and spread the cost out over 2 years with 0 interest. I was on the fence about it, but it looks like a 32 gig lte is in my future. Now just to decide on air versus mini.

Yep going to do the same - was going to get a wifi - but no point in not getting in on that free sweet LTE.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yes. For sure. I have a 16GB iPad Mini and a 32GB iPad 2 and.. although I thought "Oh why do I need to buy a 32? I'm going to stream every loving thing anyway!" I find it ended up severely restricting the amount of pictures I could carry on it. I love photography and showing people pictures I took on my iPhone is silly. Basically I can load up maybe 2-3 movies and I'm pretty much shot for space.

On the other hand, I never felt 32GB on my iPad was too much, and will be heavily considering getting the 64GB iPad Air as my upcoming purchase.

As much as I would like to get 16gb again, its so frustrating deleting things constantly whenever something new and cool comes out. Definitely going 32gb this time around.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The Anandtech review pushed me towards the full size over mini -- that and I want it asap, and don't want to get stuck ordering the last week of November, and waiting until late December for a delivery.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Any word on other stores price matching Walmart?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Ordered them through in store pickup using the apple App Store app.

Great experience placing the order, well see how picking them up goes.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

beergod posted:

This thing loving owns god drat

It's pretty absurd - my new ipad has twice the storage, twice the speed, is lighter, thinner, and just loving sexy as hell. It feels like a slightly bigger ipad mini.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

randyest posted:

This seems popular and cheap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDXLSL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: asked in the iphone thread but will do here too in case it's different on pad: where did the "find in page" option go in ios7 safari?

Type your query in the URL bar, and scroll the results down. You'll see it at the bottom (hidden by keyboard while it's initially up). I definitely like it less in ios7 than how it was previously.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Verizon ipad is the "best" because you get the Verizon sim if you're ever going to use it and should be white listed. You can buy an att or tmobile sim and they work perfectly fine.

Took me two minutes to swap the verizon card for a tmobile card and get it setup.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Wait, since when? I was about to post something like this since I've had gmail set up on the default mail client for ages, and it's only very recently stopped working.

Dunno mine broke a while ago - using Mailbox (and gmail app) make it push notifications instantly.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dzarc posted:

I don't know how to the phrase the question in a Google search. So how high of a pixel density do you need so that you can't see them anymore no matter how close you are to the screen (to the naked eye)? Would jamming a 4k display on a 10" or even 12" tablet be overkill?

That would probably do it - but it would absolutely destroy battery life (for no realistic gain for 95-99.9% of the use cases).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dexter6 posted:

OK. Call me Timb but...

Does anyone else's Mini Retina screen seem to have really lovely colors? Holding it against my iPad 3 Retina or my iPhone 5s, the greens and reds looks particularly bad.

Or is it just me?
People have been complaining that the color gamut is lower, resulting in a washed out looking screen when directly comparing:

Not certain of the validity - have to wait for Anandtech to do his in depth review to really know details about the screen quality.

e: but yours sounds horrendous - maybe go to a store, compare, and switch it out?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Is it possible to get a T-mobile sim later for the free data?

Yes - I got one from the T-mobile website; it activated perfectly fine in my Verizon iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get this to work and it's because my MBA is a year too old for Airdrop, Handoff, and Instant Hotspot. :(

Do you have the 2011 one? I was able to enable the functionality on my 2011 MBA