Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

caboodle posted:

Take the iPad to a coffee shop and try it on their WIFI. Then you'll know if its your network or your iPad.
If its the iPad then back up and erase and then set-up as new to see if it's a software issue.

You could also turn off cellular on your phone, but turn on Wi-Fi, and test your home connection that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

frogg posted:

A 32gb or higher Mini is what you need if you'll be travelling.

Only if you're going to be downloading multi-hundred megabyte books, magazines, and movies. You're unlikely to fill up the space with just apps and games before getting bored with those apps and games and deleting them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echobucket posted:

That says the Mini may have the A7.. I find that hard to believe and keep the existing Mini price point. Do you think they'll raise the price? I figured the Mini would get like an A6X chip or something.

I don't think the Mini has the form factor for an X chipset, though I could be wrong. Apple may decide they need the improved GPU from the A7 to drive the Retina display, making it cheaper to produce than shoehorning an X chip in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Space Racist posted:

I was curious if a vanilla A7 would be enough to drive a mini with a Retina display, then I looked up Anandtech's review of the 5s and the GPU in the A7 seems to have near identical power to the one in the A6X. I guess that leaves the full-size iPad to get an A7X and be the performance leader (or 'Pro' model) of the iPad line.

Yeah.

Although, are there any apps or games that would even take advantage of an extra GPU power, even on the high-res displays? Maybe they'll stick with the A7 and deliver like 12 hours of battery life or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Did you set them up on some kind of proxy? Fwiw I've never had exchange issues like the one you're describing on any of my iPads.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Doubt it. Apple usually likes to keep the camera on its flagship iPhone ahead of the iPad.

More than that, they also gimp the software - iPads don't get panorama, for instance.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What an idiotic statement to make. Perhaps it is a game changer to some people, who you know, have different needs than you.

It amazes me people still make comments as ignorant as yours.

Don't be a moron, this is what someone at a mac site wrote when the OG iPad came out in 2010. Tim Cook made fun of it in the presentation yesterday.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unless you need to do serious corrections or adjustments (which is fine, I do too, sometimes), I've been pretty impressed with the RAW editing apps available on iOS.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

What's the deal with Apple's order page for the iPads proclaiming that they will only work for the provider you select, when you hit the cellular options?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

I think it always says that.

Ah, good to know. I've always just picked an iPad up in store.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I do wonder if the Mini is clocked to the same level as the iPad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm not claiming anything. I'm just wondering. When the iPad was still using iPhone processors, Apple often clocked it higher than the iPhone. I wonder if the Mini will be clocked to the same freq. as the iPhone or the iPad Air, or if they'll all be the same.

Either way it's still going to be a completely worthy upgrade.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Laserface posted:

picked up 64GB wifi Air and a red cover. felt nice in the store, even with the bulky anti-theft tether.

worst case scenario I can sell and get a retina mini. but this feels nice.

EDIT: holy poo poo its lighter than my workmates mini. this is definitely fine weight wise, and the size isnt as large a factor in terms of overall volume.

How? What on earth sort of case is on their Mini?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

Why don't you open it at the store and make sure it's ok?

Yeah when I've exchanged Apple stuff in the past, they always open it right there to make sure it looks okay.

Also try your local Apple store. I've had luck exchanging things in Canada when I bought it in the U.S., before.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

smackfu posted:

Does Apple even have different SKUs for the different carriers? It just seems odd that they would be providing Verizon with a whitelist of iPads they sold with a Verizon SIM, just so that Verizon make the device less useful.

Or is this all just internet rumor crap?

I think that all happens when the device is first activated.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

It's glass. Aluminosilicate/Gorilla or whatever glass, but still a type of glass. This is from the iPad 2 but essentially the same stuff (except probably thinner in the Air):
http://youtu.be/r4vvQq7BpiE

Compared to the iPhones the main difference construction wise is that the glass is still a separate part in the iPads, while it's laminated/glued to the screen in iPhone.

Yup. This is also why it feels hollow; you're hitting that gap when you thunk your paws down on the glass. Eventually they'll move to laminating the iPads, too. Surprised they haven't already, to be honest.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

It's glass. Aluminosilicate/Gorilla or whatever glass, but still a type of glass. This is from the iPad 2 but essentially the same stuff (except probably thinner in the Air):
http://youtu.be/r4vvQq7BpiE

Compared to the iPhones the main difference construction wise is that the glass is still a separate part in the iPads, while it's laminated/glued to the screen in iPhone.

Yup. This is also why it feels hollow; you're hitting that gap when you thunk your paws down on the glass. Eventually they'll move to laminating the iPads, too. Surprised they haven't already, to be honest.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh cool, phone time out dbl post. Gj, mediaphage.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

Since unveiling have there been * any * interesting info dumps, leaks, hands-on, etc regarding the Pro?

Some Pixar designers got some hands on with one: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/09/29/pixar-tests-the-ipad-pro-perfect-palm-rejection/

And the Adobe MAX conf is going on right now I guess? There are some hands on reports starting to trickle out from there, since Adobe is showing off their new apps on it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TinTower posted:

Question about the SD card connector: does it copy RAW files over non-destructively? Copying the photos from my DSLR to my iPad might be less annoying than DSLR to MacBook.

I guess I don't know if it's non-destructively, but it definitely copies over what appear to be "original" RAW files. Pretty excited for 128GB iPad Pro so I can just take my camera and iPad places.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I think I'll probably get an iPad Pro; I don't use my iPad 3 much in situations where I have to stand up and hold it one-handed now, and I just switched to a 6s+ from a 5, which I think obviates my need for a Mini.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah. They're not my thing but the Surface Pro is super good. My previous company had a few with the dock for the office and it was awesome what you could do with it.

Agree; they're made very well. I really like the build quality.

We have a SP in the house (my SO uses it) and I like it, but I think it's still this weird, stilted hybrid of a device. It's great for stylus things, inside of apps that have been using things like Wacom styli for years, but it completely falls apart outside of that (a notable exception might be made for something like OneNote); personally I think the keyboard and an external mouse is sort of a requirement for that device.

For me personally, the iPad Pro would win at using it without the stylus - I mean, I'd still want a keyboard if I were using it to write an extended piece, but it's way more usable as a touch-only device. The downside is that for the moment, and possibly for a very long time, the same sort of powerful apps won't be available. I think the trade-off is worth it, but I a lot of people won't.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

Do I need to press something specific to get 'drawing' mode in Notes app? I have my apple pencil working but that app I can't even find the button or whatever to draw any way, even with my fingers...

[Ed my bad I was not in the right section of my notes. The right section's notes have a squiggle line button.

Not sure for the iPad but on the iPhone version there's a plus sign in the corner that lets you "insert" your drawing. Might be a secondary tap menu on the iPad?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pencil's in stock on BestBuy.ca for my fellow pals living above the border.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I like LiquidText for that, but it's a little weird.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

What can one do with an original iPad (not Air, like the OG iPad)? I mentioned earlier that we're gifting my grandparents an Air 2 and they've got an OG iPad in perfect condition that I'll probably end up in charge of recycling or whatever. Can I trade it in somewhere to get them cash for the App store or something, or if I kept it are there any neat tasks I could put it to use on (wireless monitor, stuff like that)?

I haven't looked so I'm talking out my rear end here, but I bet it's still jailbreakable, which probably opens up a world of weird little options.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also, don't forget that Best Buy still gets periodic stock of Pencils and Smart Keyboards in; that's how I got my Pencil, by refreshing the Best Buy website a couple of times a day and ordering as soon as I saw it update. Got it a couple days later.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I also recommend the Logitech BT keyboard. Their stuff is great.

Unlike the majority of the thread, though, I love the ASK; it's perfect and light for carrying to the coffeeshop, or whatever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Laserface posted:

Probably more a general iOS question, but why don't imported photos show up in photo stream on other devices?

I took a bunch of pics on my GoPro and imported via the SD-lightning adapter. They go to camera roll on the iPad but don't end up on photo stream.

Mine do? I pulled like 80-some from my dslr onto my iPad yesterday, and they were all options to upload a Facebook picture from on my iPhone later on. Maybe there's a setting somewhere?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

One of the big reasons I bought it was for reading magazines and comics (admittedly mostly comics), which I felt the regular iPads have always been bad at.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah I finished school just a little before all the tablet revolutions happened and I'm so insanely jealous. Would've given my eye teeth for an iPad pro.

Regarding development, I've been using c9.io a lot lately. I love it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

They announced a new ipad air in march to no one's surprise. If it comes out with markedly better speakers and stuff, can't decide if I'll sell my pro and go back to the normal size. I keep thinking I'll get used to how big the pro is but I just keep finding it awkward to use in bed sometimes.

This is perhaps a ridiculous suggestion, but I think the Mini is the perfect size for bedtime use, maybe get one of those for the bedroom? (who have i become that i am seriously suggesting a bedroom ipad jesus christ)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Procreate is probably the best overall Pencil utlilizing app I've tried. For note taking, nothing really super dazzles me so far, Paper is probably my favorite.

If you're hardcore into note taking (like in school or w/e) it probably isn't great but for small notes and sketches the native Notes app is great.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Call of Cholula posted:

Big thread, etc, but what is the recommended 'best keyboard' for the iPad Pro? I have one coming this week and will be stopping by the Apple Store for the Pencil and will pick up the apple keyboard cover if it's still considered to be the best.

Also, selling my iPad Air 1 - seems like trading it in to Amazon is going to yield a decent enough return ($225 in good condition) unless there's a better quick and painless suggestion that I'm missing.

I vote to go with the Apple Smart Keyboard. Its best feature is that it's so lightweight and thin; I don't think it's hard or unpleasant to type on at all. My singular complaint is that it doesn't have backlighting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I tried the Logitech K380 at Best Buy and didn't like it at all. The round keys are annoying, and it's almost twice the weight of a good portable keyboard (it's over 15 ounces).

Does anyone know of a good, light mobile Bluetooth keyboard that can sync to multiple devices? Looks like there are some good cheap Ankers on Amazon but they only pair to one device at a time, and I want to switch between at least 2 (if not 3) without re-pairing or disabling Bluetooth on my devices.

Check out the Microsoft products.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

For real.Having owned an air and played extensively with a Pro, as a *production* device (e.g. using pencil) vs. a consumption device, I'd much rather have the large screen.

It's a better consumption device too, in just about every way except portability.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bolind posted:

I have a 32gig iPad Air purchased in April 2014. Model number MD786ZP/A. I bought it in Hong Kong, but I live in Denmark.

It has recently developed a quite annoying flickering problem, where the screen will turn off completely, for a fraction of a second to several seconds. When it's flickering "off" it's completely

I've fiddled with the brightness and autobrightness settings (some people seem to indicate that can fix things.) but that doesn't work.

Called Apple Support Denmark and they won't touch it, as it's more than a year old.

Crap part is that it's really been pampered, basically never left my couch, rarely used, never been dropped...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

If there's no Apple store near you, find an AASP and get a quote. Maybe the repair won't be too expensive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Haggins posted:

I currently have a iPad 4, and I was gonna wait until the event to see what the 9.7 inch iPads were going to be, but now I'm really thinking pro.

At first it seemed like the pro was more for people looking for a laptop replacement, but it seems like that doesn't have to be the case. My iPad lives in my backpack and I don't see how having a couple extra inches will really change how portable the thing is. If I need something ultra portable, I have my iPhone.

My main uses are reading books, magazines, and comics, editing photos, web surfing, and watching movies (usually on airplanes). I think I will like the pen for class note taking as I prefer to take notes by hand.

By the way, how is the iPad pro in coach on a flight? My 15 inch MBP is too big to open up for me, but I hear 13 inches works well.

It'll be fine on a plane, mine is. Magazines and comics are also WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL on the iPad Pro. It was honestly a big reason I wanted one; I always wnated to read them on my iPad/iPad 3 but the screens were just too small to really enjoy it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

logikv9 posted:

So I'm going on an international trip and that means dealing with a long international flight. I want to being my iPad mini (obviously) but not my macbook because other than the flight there and back I won't be using it.

I want to cram it full of movies and shows and poo poo but obviously I have limited space. Is there a cheap way (read: not a wifi hard drive that I would use once) to add more storage? I have a portable external right now that has all my poo poo, I would love it if there was a way to connect it to my iPad.

A Google search gives me largely "no" answers but those are years old.

There are a couple of special drives you can get that work with proprietary apps; there are also those wifi units that come with integrated storage that your iPad can connect to and access data on.

But honestly even a 16gb iPad could contain dozens of hours of video footage if you don't insist on 1080p content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm a big fan of the mini but for me personally I wouldn't want to do much in the way of annotating on it. The new iPad Pro is coming out in a 10-in model so that might be right up your alley.