Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I don't like magazines on the ipad mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

terre packet posted:

I have:

1) An iPad
2) A first-gen Airport Express
3) A Brother HL-2240 printer

Is it possible for me to print to the Brother printer with this combination or should I just sell it and buy an AirPrint-capable printer?

Plug the printer into a computer running fingerprint and it'll turn any printer into an airplay printer.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Not the best solution but if you jailbreak your iPad there's an app out there that will allow you to put passwords as soon as you try and open up a specific application. This will help you if you want to give out your iPad but not have them click on specific apps that they don't need access to

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
A 16gb ipad would be completely poo poo with 2 user accounts. Perhaps that's why.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I Am Crake posted:

I'm a poor person and I want a 32GB iPad mini retina. Am I stupid yes/no? I work a sales job so there's no actual reason for wanting one except being a bit of a gadget freak and only having owned Android devices for the past four years. I already have the Asus TF300T (ten inch Android tablet with lower specs than my phone) which I never use because it's basically a giant phone and the size means it's not particularly more portable than a laptop. I'd be much happier if I could actually play with one before buying it, the demo models in stores don't allow you to install apps and I'm really wondering how stuff like Google Drive feels on the device. Stuff like web browsing works amazing though.

I might be able to buy one at a 20% discount if someone I know doesn't use their personnel discount before it expires.

Just watch YouTube videos of people using it to see how it works with games

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I immediately changed my password but it seems this app is often downloaded in cases like this? Can I report this to Apple or something?

No. You're not allowed. Thanks for checking with us.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Laserface posted:

Try using an android device and you won't find it slow anymore.

My galaxy s4 is just as fast as my iPhone 5 in terms of usability.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

What do you do if your ipad locks you out for too many bad passcode attempts and you're not able to synch with itunes? I keep a bluetooth keyboard in my bag with my ipad, and though I usually turn bluetooth off to prevent this from happening, the keyboard must have gotten jostled on from being in my bag and then every movement mashed the keys in a way that registered as attempts at logging in. I synched it this time, but I often travel with the ipad only for writing and I can imagine getting hosed if I had work to do and no way to get out of a lockout.

Dfu restore. No one can get the code except you and if you're locked out you're locked out.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Try selecting iPhone instead of iPad at the top and see if it shows up there.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Ios8 runs like poo poo on my newly restored iPad Mini. Very disappointed.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Assuming this is for the activation lock after a restore? If you have a proof of purchase with your name and the serial of the iPad on it you can get that bypassed at an Apple Store. If you bought it at an Apple Store they can look up that information.

Last time I checked apple stores couldn't do that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Not that I want to discourage anyone from getting AppleCare, but the $100 for the plan plus $50 per-incident for accidental damage is really, really close to the cost of just upgrading once per year if you sell your old device. I've owned every iPad except the 4th generation and no upgrade has ever cost me more than $200, except when I moved from a 32gb to a 64gb model. It might be worthwhile if accidental damage in the first year is your only concern, but I'm not sure the extended warranty alone really ends up being worth it.

It's so if you break it you don't pay hundreds of dollars. Unless you plan on not breaking it until you upgrade

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
At least in the store, I know you can't get standard AppleCare. Its just AppleCare plus. I don't understand people saying not to bother scratching your iPad because that's the whole point, you don't know if you're going to damage your iPad and instead of paying hundreds of dollars you simply pay less than a hundred.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

You'll be hard pressed to find a consumer electronics company that supports warranties beyond two years ( except in the cases of "lifetime" warranties on headphones and cables)

Unless I'm missing your point Applecare is three years on computers

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
E: can't read.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

The 16gb probably fulfills a bunch of enterprise requirements as well. A hospital doesn't need a bunch of storage for its webapp recording thingy or whatever they use, you know?

They'd probably appreciate the full size because they're old and a computer replacement is not the standard use case for an iPad mini. The mini is perfect for reading books and PDFs and holding it one handed on a train or whatever. The full size is nicer for stuff like video watching, recipe display, and all that kind of thing that olds might prefer. They also aren't likely to take it out of the house and hold it while standing up. For the same reason you can probably save by buying an air instead of an air 2.

But I really think a crappy $500 laptop is the way to go. It's familiar, cheap, repairable on the hardware side, and the learning curve won't be a problem for them since they probably access everything through a browser anyway instead of a bunch of apps. The iPad has the advantage of being nearly impossible to break on the software side, v. a windows laptop that will need constant janitoring from someone who knows how (read: you).

I've gone through this same discussion with my parents about my grandmother's computers, but my dad doesn't mind fixing her laptop once a month because they live together and it coincides with spending time with his MIL. :3:

Giving an old person a 500 laptop instead of an iPad is loving hilarious

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Any change in interaction logic is going to be painful for anyone who isn't fairly technologically literate to negotiate. Give an average 11 year old a laptop and ask them to email someone a file and watch the train wreck. Young people as a rule, in my experience, are used to dealing with mobile device logic, old people (especially ones who already have a computer) are probably used to traditional OS logic.

Mobile devices are definitely easier to learn, but there's still a learning curve there.

Unless you're referring to the price. I mean you could go with like a $300 laptop I guess? I don't know, an iPad isn't, in my mind, a significantly more affordable solution.

The amount of maintenance that needs to go into a computer and the amount of things that can go wrong makes the iPad a clear winner. You really can't argue that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

If a mugger steals any one of your fingers they can access your iPad, later. By only registering one or two fingers (at random) you reduce the chances that if a mugger cuts off your finger they'll be able to access your apps.

Severed fingers doesn't allow access. It has to have blood flowing through.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bvoid posted:

This is a longshot (and I searched but you know...) but has anyone had any experience with iPad Mini Retina repair services (specifically a cracked digitizer)? I'd do it myself, but everything I've read tells me that it's exceedingly difficult and easy to gently caress up. They seem to run about $100 on average, but I have no clue what's reputable out there.

Don't do it and get apple to fix it for you

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

iCloud tops out at 5gb for free and downloads the stuff to your device anyway. It's like Dropbox or google drive instead of some kind of FTP or streaming service like it sounds like you're imagining.

Try the tips app for... Tips on how to use the ui.

Check wirecutter for some cases if you want them. They basically aggregate popular reviews and give you different options and a best pick as well.

AppleCare is the extended warranty/insurance. Like any warranty program for any small product, it's a bad bet for most consumers but will probably make you feel less antsy about causing accidental damage so you have to figure out if you want it. You can buy it at any time in the first year of owning the iPad. Personally, I'd say just save up for the repair cost and if you need it, spend that money.

AppleCare is not a bad bet for most consumers

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

smr posted:

Feh. Recently-bought iPad Mini 3, just regular warranty no AppleCare. Screen is shattered. I'm looking at like $299 for Apple to repair it, yeah?

Paging the guy who said Apple care is not worth it

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Anybody compare games like XCOM on the iPad Air versus the iPad Air 2?

I'm wondering if it runs any smoother...

Tested.com did. It makes a difference.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

I've transferred using airdrop on a long train ride before. I don't think I was tethering at the time, just Bluetooth to Bluetooth.

Yeah airdrop uses only Bluetooth.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

A blast or two from some canned air should do the trick. If you have a compressor with a narrow nozzle, don't let the psi get too high or you could damage the port. About 50-80 psi should do it in short blasts.

Not if it's been pressed down. A toothpick or Sim ejector, scrape the inside on the opposite side of the pins. Pull it all out. You'll know it's done when the lighting cable sits flush when you plug it in.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Are you exchanging it at the Apple Store? Please tell us what they say.

It's replaceable.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Is there a way to stop people from setting up passcodes on iPads? I've looked at the MDM options (OSX Server profile manager) and in the Settings->Restrictions menu on iOS itself and can't find anything to stop them. Until I solve this, every time a kid adds a password to the iPad we have to wipe the loving thing.

Guided access mode.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Pointless rant forthcoming; TL/DR: iTunes blows goats.

Holy poo poo did I just have the most loving disastrous experience with my friend's new iPad & iTunes movie rentals.

She bought a new iPad to load with movies for a trip she's taking. She bought the cheapest one possible, 16 GB. She then proceeded to rent a half dozen HD movies from the iTunes store (~5GB each). Obviously, this is a bad idea that won't work (of course nobody consults me when they buy poo poo, they just want me to fix it afterwards). Equally obviously, Apple sells products with tiny-rear end capacities to people with no technical expertise whatsoever, so this situation should not devolve into a total clusterfuck.

What should happen? iTunes should download as many movies as can fit (1-2 in this case), and then wait on the rest. You should be able to select which ones download, and the others should not take any space on your device.

What does happen? iTunes tries to download multiple movies simultaneously, until the device becomes full 2/3 of the way through all the downloads. Then it gets stuck and goes nowhere.

Pause button? Doesn't respond.

Edit button? Puts downloads list into editing mode, but then you can't select anything in order to cancel or delete it.

Delete the movie placeholders from Videos? You get a warning that you'll never get to watch it and you'll lose your money... and the iTunes Store still will continue to try to download them.

Say 'gently caress this rental poo poo I want my money back'? There's no straightforward way to do it. The 'recommended' way to get iTunes refunds is to go into your purchased list, click "report a problem" and ask. Rentals don't show up in your purchased list.

Say 'gently caress it I'm :filez:'? Sorry, your iPad is now full to the brim with half-downloaded rentals, you can't sync anything over to it.

If only people knew better than to use iTunes rentals. If only people knew better than to trust Apple to sell a device with a reasonable amount of storage for 20fucking15. If only those people wouldn't want me to fix their problem literally 1 hour before leaving for the airport.

:suicide:

You realize it's the persons fault for buying the smallest sized iPad and then trying to jam movies on it.

Here's a fix: return and buy a 128. Tah dah.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 17, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

setafd posted:

What does it mean for my iPad Air to just seem to be continuously crashing at the Apple logo?

A bunch of things. First thing I would do is a dfu restore.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

setafd posted:

It's on jailbroken 8.3, does anything special need to happen or can I just restore it?

Dfu restore from iTunes. It's most likely your jailbreak that hosed something up

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Rnr posted:

Some of you keep repeating this. When my parents got their iPad stolen, I locked it on iCloud and told them to take solace in that fact (and that insurance would buy them a new one). However, later to convince myself, I did some basic googling and quickly found many recipes for removing the lock from a device. It would make sense too, I've never talked to anyone who had any luck with tracking their stolen device this way. I dunno, maybe the Romanian robber gangs that crosses our borders are hacking geniuses?

Anyone have more info on this?

Trust me. You can't unlock it unless you're an employee

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Correct. And what we site is currently the go to with a disgruntled Apple employee.

Which can lead to them getting fired really quick as it needs a manager override and they need to see pop.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Happens but I'm not taking the risk. Dunno why you'd be trying to talk me out if unbricking and iPad that's going to end up parts anyways.

If anyone knows a good place, cool. If not. Cool. Not stressing major about it.

I'm not talking you out of it. I'm saying there's no other way of doing it other than proof of purchase at an apple store or Applecare

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

FYI at that cheap of a replacement the screen is probably horrible junk. The only repairs I will do (I HATE iPad repairs) are with the OEM glass, everything else has failed on me after short periods of time.

How do you replace an iPad screen?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I use a glass screen protector on my iPhone because it provides something to dissipate the energy of a fall through instead of the actual screen. You won't get that with a plastic screen protector though.

I personally wouldn't put a piece of glass on top of another one then see what happens when it breaks. Just me though.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If a piece of glass drops, I'd rather have plastic over top of it rather than another piece of glass.

I should also state I have no scientific reasoning to back this up and think screen protectors are quite useless in any capacity.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

"NO SIM" error on an iPad: Go to Apple or AT&T?

Reset network settings
Try known good sim
Apple store after making a backup and appointment.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

"please use your iPad for a few minutes to have this detail populate" or something or other...

Which I don't actually want to do because I'm trying to keep my hands off of it other than literally lifting the smart cover for a second to check the battery.

It's a bit odd though because I HAVE used the iPad since its last charge for quite a while, so... I would think it would have data there?

I mean, this isn't the worst problem in the world, but at this rate, it would indicate (more or less) that if I charged up my iPad Pro and let it sit for 5 days and then on Day 6 was like, "Hey I want to draw something!" I'd pick it up to find it was dead/nearly dead.

You really do want to check the battery usage in settings as it will give you an answer. Also restore but set up as new and see if problem persists

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You could also buy AppleCare on the device so if they have future issues they can walk into an Apple Store for support (for 2 years). Just an idea.

You can walk in for support without Apple care for free whenever, it'll just cost if you need to repair/replace.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

FishBulb posted:

So my daughter has an iPad mini, the first retina one whatever that was called and it appears to be stuck in recovery mode but my computer doesn't recognize it. It recognizes my phone and my wife's phone and my old iPad 2 so I don't think it's a sub or cord issue. I've tried reinstalling iTunes and restarting things and stuff and nothing. It just sits there with the dumb iTunes logo on the screen and nothing happens when I plug it in.

I assume I need to take it to Apple and that's fine. It I can't do it until next weekend so if there's anything else I can try I'm open to a suggestion.

Do a DFU restore. If that doesn't fix it your next step is going to Apple and seeing what replacement options you have. If it is still under warranty they will replace it for free, if it is out of warranty there will be a fee associated with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I can't even get it into dfu mode. It doesn't do anything except recovery display.

I'm driving 90 minutes to take it to the fruit stand on Saturday

You can get it into DFU mode, you're just not doing it right.

And why do people always have to say how long it'll take them to go to the Apple Store specifically?