Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Would probably be fairly easy to reclaim a large amount of homogeneous type of plastic if they go down the recycling route. Not saying they do, but if the costs work out in favour of doing it someone would go that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah my iPad 2 battery life is fantastic. I really have to keep myself from using any faster versions because it works fine and I have no real reason to upgrade, but trying out a faster processor/nicer screen will have me wanting to I'm sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Debating between an Air or Retina Mini and it probably won't be resolved until I can see one in store.

Additionally what sleeves are recommended for both sizes? Not a cover or skin user (had a Smart Cover for my 2 which I never used) but a sleeve would be great for when I take it out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing that kind of bugs me is the Air being $100 more for the same specs and having a screen that is less supply constrained than the mini. I know it's dumb but hey.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I see why they do it and it's perfectly fair. Just in my goofy mind it throws a wrench into my decision making process. I'd go for the Air almost automatically if the prices and specs were the same apart from screen size. I'm just a cheap rear end :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good point. I'm gonna get the Air anyway I think, I'd like the bigger screen.

So any good sleeves out for it? It'd fit in an older sleeve too of course..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So I got over my cheapness (heh) and picked up a 32GB Air in black, and wow. It's fantastic! Screen is gorgeous. My iPad2 feels like an etch a sketch in comparison.

I'm loading up magazines in newsstand just to marvel at them. Ditto comics.

Still looking for a good sleeve recommendation! The Genius recommended the Acme sleeve with the big elastic, but I was looking more at the Herschel one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FYI fellow Canadians, Best Buy and future shop are giving $200 trade in values on ipad 2s now.

The flyer says for purchase of an Air but I have heard you get a gift card for whatever.

I am torn between keeping mine for a kid tablet (with an appropriate case) or getting in on this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I have noticed with the Air vs my iPad 2 is just how the buttons and touch screen feel a lot less substantial now. The screen especially, it just doesn't feel as solid. I guess it is to get the weight down but it is my only one minor quibble with it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it's just different after being used to the 2. The lightness is fantastic, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So is there a consensus on the best Air keyboard? I'd like one that lights up and covers the back side like that Logitech fabric skin folio deelie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, so the build quality on the zagg is good? Really the main thing that has kept me from looking at it closer is the goofy rear end name :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yes, agree with the build quality remarks. Also the volume buttons have a slight wiggle to them. In any other product I wouldn't even notice but I found the build quality on the iPad 2 to be so fantastic it does feel like a step down.

I picked up my 2 yesterday though and woof it is a heavy sucker, so it's a trade off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Curious, anyone have a recommendation for an ipad clip to have it attached next to a PC monitor? Lots of games are doing a "second screen" thing and it would be kind of nifty.

Hover bar is one, along with assorted knockoffs. Just wondering if there are any recs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I ordered a Snugg for my Air based on chat here and elsewhere. I like it without a case but it would be nice to have something I can chuck in a bag. I was thinking a sleeve but this case looks really nice. Went with the "distressed leather"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

a_m_a_t posted:

I'm looking for an iPad Air Case and the OP seems out of date.

I'd prefer a lighter one to an Otterbox or heavy-duty case to keep it portable.

Ideal budget is cheaper than an Apple Smart Case. Keyboard would be cool but is not a necessity. The Kensington in the OP looks nice but I'd like to handle one and I haven't come across one in Canada.

Mainly just using for web surfing while traveling so portable is better.

Any strong recommendations? Is the OP still accurate?

I got the Snugg one from amazon.ca for 39.99 and quite like it. Even has a loop for the stylus. Got the brown "distressed leather". The Air slides in and out very easily, and there is an elastic strap to hold it one handed that works great.

Snugg iPad Air (iPad 5) Case in Black Leather - Flip Cover and Stand... http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00EYDTA3W/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_EY4etb099X91P

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think I am going to get the Zagg keyboard case (non folio) sometime. Looks like the best keyboard, just hard to find here yet and I'm too cheap to pay shipping.

I like the non folio better because it just clips on the back if you want to use it in portrait without keys.

Also I haven't noticed any plastic smell on the Snugg case. I really can't say I have any complaints with it, it's a great case to add some protection, and it looks and feels quite nice. Even still I take the iPad out from time to time and am always impressed how svelte it is.

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 3, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Has anyone gotten the Zaggkeys cover (not folio) for the Air? Curious how the retention with that clip is.

Haven't seen any around here but I am pretty much set on that for an iPad keyboard. I want to see one in person before buying though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the info, yeah I meant the hinge, it does clip on to the iPad though right? And you can clip it on the back if you want to use the iPad in portrait or kn less mode (without having to set the kb down)?

Waiting for the local stores to get one in, or order from amazon.ca. No one seems to have it here yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got my Zagg keyboard cover for the Air, really like it so far. The backlighting is great, the keyboard is a good size and snaps on really snugly.

One question that perhaps someone knows, I've had no luck googling it so far: is there a shortcut to send a message in Hangouts or Facebook? Not a biggie to hit "send" or "post" or that little arrow, but still.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lord funk posted:

Just FYI: TC-11 is going on sale this Friday. I hear you all like sales.

Awesome! Looks very cool and I think my kid will enjoy it too (he loves music apps like Figure and Musyc)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have the zagg one and really like it. It makes it just like a mini laptop and the hinge attach is really good and easy to take off if you want to use it in portrait mode.

Anyone have a recommendation for an iPad 2 case that would be good for a preschooler? Something cheap on close out would be perfect!

priznat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 24, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I find the Air feels less sturdy than the iPad 2, although a lot of that is probably just due to how much lighter it is. The big difference for me is how the glass feels a lot less solid on the Air.

I can't say for certain it is less sturdy but it feels less substantial, anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is surprising that none of the MacBooks have a touchid thing yet.. Other laptops have had it for ages, it's probably my favourite thing about my work thinkpad. That and it's decently fast but blerrrgh what a terrible screen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Zagg cover, I have one and it is fantastic. Clips on very secure and comes off quickly. Sweet backlit keyboard with great responsive keys.

Used mine a few months now and love it.

Edit: this guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EXPSCBC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1402543668&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

That one looks pretty solid. It's $30 more expensive than the Logitech version, would you say it's worth the premium?

I would say so, especially because it turns it into a mini notebook where you just have to open it and it has a range of angles you can use it at. The logi or is fixed in one or two positions I think. Plus you have to slot it in there etc etc.

Also the backlighting is very useful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I passed my Air 2 along thinking I would get an ultrabook but I think I will get another ipad again instead. A 12” pro with the keyboard would be ideal. Good timing, almost!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What in the gently caress is that? That’s something I’ve never seen.

Micro version of USB3 with the additional high speed lanes. USB-C has hopefully killed it for good.

Interestingly you can plug a regular micro-B cable in half of the socket for this connector too, it will just run at USB 2 speed..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

This was literally the reason it was created. They wanted a backward compatible socket, but couldn't make USB-3 work in the micro-USB-2 plug, so they made that monstrosity.

Yeah, a lot of people don’t know that and think it’s useless if they’ve lost the 3.0 cable, but much like regular usb B 3.0 plugs it is backwards compatible.

A guy at work lost the cable for an external drive and was convinced it was now worthless until I dug in a pile of micro usb cables we had and just used that. :haw:

You know another USB thing that is annoying, devices with a cable that have two USB A plugs on it because a single one won’t provide enough current in a lot of situations.

I still have to gently caress with GPIB cables on occasion though and even the worst USB annoyances are better than that stuff. (Daisy chaining was handy tho)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Multiuser is a great idea but like hell I’d let anyone else use my fancy new ipad pro!! (Especially kids)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

These new Pros look fantastic. The CPU specs are really drat impressive too, this is gonna have some serious legs barring some massive increase in iOS app requirements.

I had been thinking of getting an i7 based ultrabook for a while but I think the 12.9” pro is a way better choice for my use case and existing iOS app library!

Just gotta save up.. drat winter tires

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

coke posted:

I guess...

Ew

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My dilemma is 256GB or 512 for the 12.9”. Since it will probably have a good lifespan due to the cpu power I’m leaning a little towards 512 and forgoing the pencil and keyboard case initially. But my iphones have been 256 and never had any storage issues..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

I would say it depends what you'll use it for. I went with 256 because for my use case it should be plenty, I have my pixelbook and MBP for more serious portable work. If you'll be loading it with games or using it for actual work the 512 might make more sense.

Yeah, won’t really be for work apart from some OneDrive based ms office files, and not many games. 256 probably better and put the difference towards the keyboard case.

That reminds me about games, must get Stardew Valley when I get my pro. I bet it’d be fantastic on that large screen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve kind of talked myself out of getting the 12.9” pro because I really don’t need that kind of power for what I’d use it for (websurfing, Netflix etc). And it sounds like from reviews iOS kind of hamstrings the hardware with its limitations.

On the other hand with a few iOS changes and tweaks it sounds like it really could become a full fledged laptop replacement, just not there yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone ever try a Type B to Type C usb cable from a electronic piano to the ipad pro? Or via Type B to A to hub to Type C, either way. Just less clutter with a single cable.

Also any good piano tutor apps that would use that, my daughter is learning piano and this could be a useful tool.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My OG iPad Air (2013) that my son has been using now won't charge anymore, and the port isn't even encrustulated with schmutz!

Got a reso at the Apple Store this afternoon, hope the fix is not spendy. I don't want to get a new ipad just now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat, not fixable. Debating trading in for the $80 or whatever towards a Pro now :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My old iPad Air (1) that stopped charging still played minecraft like a champ so my son was happy.

Now I have to decide if I want a new one before the battery fully discharges if I want the tradein money (only $80) because it has to turn on..

Probably nah would rather get a new video card :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you trade it in, the value just gets given back to you as an Apple gift card, and you can sit on that indefinitely. You don’t have to buy a new iPad when you trade the old one in. Your choice is to trade it and get $80 you can spend on an iPad eventually or whatever else, or let the battery drain and get nothing.

Oh really? I was told it was just on the trade of a new ipad/iphone by the apple store guy. Well I should do that then if it’s not the case.