Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Erwin posted:

I have a 2020 12.9” iPad Pro that doesn’t respond at all to touch even after force resetting it and letting the battery run all the way down to force a power cycle. I didn’t realize until this happened that my AppleCare+ expired in March.

It looks like Apple will replace the screen for $700, or I can get an ifixit kit for $400 with no guarantee of success. I guess there’s also no guarantee that a new screen will fix the issue.

Is it worth multiple trips to an apple store (I assume they’ll need to keep it for a few days) to have it done by someone who’s not replacing a screen for the first time? I assume there’s no chance of leniency regarding AppleCare coverage?

I am new to the Apple ecosystem but is a $1000+ device bricking after 2 years common? That seems insane to me. I bought a new iPad Air from a friend but what happened to your Pro scares me a bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Erwin posted:

Nope, I’ve been through three iPads, a half-dozen iPhones, and several laptops and this is the first problem I’ve had that I didn’t physically cause. I can’t find any concrete info online about it happening to others (maybe one or two cases that might be the same issue), and certainly no fixes.

Just because a thing happened to one device once doesn’t make it common. If I was seeing lots of other people online with the same issue I’d be mad, but that’s not the case. I’m bummed I have to pay to have it fixed but it really just seems like a fluke.

That's good to hear! I've been really enjoying reading PDFs on my iPad but the way your post was so resigned about needing to spend 700 to fix it made me think that's just this thing that happens!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is paying for Applecare+ generally recommended? Someone mentioned it up thread and in general I thought those kinds of extended warranty programs were sort of a ripoff. Is the Apple one different?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve got it on my phone, but my iPad is never in the same sorts of precarious situations so I let it pass me by.

That's sort of where I'm at with this ipad. I bought a case for it, but that's mainly so I can prop it up.

I have a few more weeks to decide, I guess. I'd be more worried some fluke thing happens than I drop it in the toilet or whatever.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks for the info on Applecare!

Is there an app that would let me open CBR files right out of a Google drive? Right now I'm doing it in a way that can't be the best way by saving a copy of the file into my files, then importing it into a comic reading app.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

101 posted:

Panels will let you pull straight from Dropbox and Google Drive

It seems like that feature requires a monthly subscription, which sucks because I can just do what I've been doing for free, it's just very tedious.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does iCloud back up all the files saved directly to the iPad?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I signed up for Applecare and the email I got implied I would need the original sales receipt to get service. Is that actually the case? I bought my iPad from a friend but I would imagine people get them as gifts and wouldn't have access to the sales receipt.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

buglord posted:

So since I’m settling on a M1 256 iPad Air now, what’s the best place to go used? Is Swappa decent? Or should I use my old education discount and get it new?

I got one of these recently and have been enjoying it, though I really only read comics and RPG PDFs on it, it's great for that purpose.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

xzzy posted:

I've been content with the Zugu case. It is rubbery feeling which I'm not a huge fan of and is a little too bulky, but it securely holds my pencil and protects well when I'm doing my camping trips.

The stand is very stable, either propped up in bed or when I'm jamming on it with the pencil. My only complaint with it in bed is it needs one more notch to be at a good angle when I've got my knees up. Kind of a silly complaint though, it still works fine it's just not the ~*perfect angle*~.

I like my zugu as well but I mostly read stuff in portrait mode and there's no stand for that angle and the back flap doesn't stick to the back when it's open. Not the end of the world, but a little irritating.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I feel like there's a bunch of gestures you should learn, stuff like understanding how to back out of a frozen app, things like that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah you’d need to be the original purchaser with the original receipt. Sorry friend.

Huh, so old hardware is basically worthless? Don't people sell used iPads all the time?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kay Kessler posted:

So this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to get a reliable answer for it.

I remember reading somewhere that if you turn off icloud photos, the original copy of the photo on the device used to capture it will be deleted, not just the iCloud copies. Is this true? I'd really like to use iCloud as a backup service but not if it makes me pretty much shackled to it.

What's the justification for this?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When the first M series ipad pro came out I bought the highest end one (2tb model) because that was the only way to get 16GB of RAM in it. I use my ipad mostly for Clip Studio Paint and it does help now with all the features to CSP that have been added but at the time only a little bit. drat thing cost more than my MBA that I got last year and I probably have only used a few gigs of the space available on the iPad.

It cost more than your Master's degree?? Now that's the Apple premium I've heard so much about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My daughter has been using a cheap Kindle for the past few years but it has become very slow and clunky. She's 7 and doesn't need power user stuff, but she loves making little cartoons on Scratch Jr., playing PBS Kids games and watching cartoons.

She got to use an iPad at school, and it seems like it might be the way to go to get her one of her own she can grow into a little as she's expressed interest in learning Scratch as well.

What's the earliest generation that would fit our use case? I'd like it to last at least a few years ideally. I'm thinking a decent one would be in the 200 to 300 dollar range, right?