Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

eddiewalker posted:

It's literally the craziest shopping day of the year in the US. Several places are bundling giftcards and cutting prices, discounting older generations even more heavily. Look at a deals site.

Just keep in mind that a lot of the really good "deals" you'll see from Walmart or Best Buy and so on are gonna be for the older generations. My roommate was so happy to have picked up an iPad mini for whatever cheap price plus a gift card or whatever, only to find out it's the iPad mini 1 and not the iPad mini 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm considering getting an iPad primarily as a document reader/annotator type of thing and secondary to watch media in bed. Obviously I'm gonna wait a couple weeks to see what's new but should I get a mini or air for this purpose? I guess I read things on my 6S at the moment so the size doesn't bother me but I don't have any experience with it so maybe it's just not something I'm missing but will want. What's important though imo is the weight of the thing. I had an original iPad way back when and sold it off because it was too god drat heavy if I remember correctly. Wikipedia says that one was 1.5 lbs and the Air is 1 lb, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

Also why is it iPad Air but iPad mini?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

I'm a big fan of the mini but for me personally I wouldn't want to do much in the way of annotating on it. The new iPad Pro is coming out in a 10-in model so that might be right up your alley.

Hat does an iPad pro have over an air again? 3D sensitive touching? (Not counting the better processor of course since I imagine all upgrades will get them).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

put a screen cover on it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a good review of the iPad Pro out there showing off the pdf reading and Pencil annotation features?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

My friends is going to start running a short D&D campaign and I want to join in as a player, are there any good iPad apps that people can recommend for trying to keep everything digital (for myself at least) and use up less table space with sheets of paper? I've only played a couple of times before but we generally seem to run out of room once everyone needs to start fumbling their sheets when combat starts.

Especially in terms of keeping notes about locations, NPCs, the other players, etc. I was just going to write it all down in a notebook but that would get messy pretty fast. Being able to split things up per character and keep a chart of how each character is linked (like those things you see for conspiracy theories, like an arrow pointing between names/photos saying stuff like "Is in business with..." and "Is the father of..." etc.) would be handy, but I'm not even sure where to start looking for that kind of thing.

You're honestly better off just sticking with an actual paper and pencil. iPads (and ebook readers) do not make the constant flipping back and forth between pages and constant editing of notes and stat boxes and poo poo very pleasant.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't know anything about adoption rates but if it's lack of developers it might be because the 13" iPad Pro is pretty god drat expensive at $800 for a base model. You could argue that an iPhone is up there too at $750 (or $650 for the 16 GB version to be generous) but a phone is something that "everyone" needs and doesn't mind upgrading and it gets a poo poo ton of use. An iPad on the other hand, especially one the size of a MBP, is gonna stay at home and get way less use and people aren't gonna be able to justify spending $800 for it. I guess if people really needed a "pro" model they'd spring for it but most other people are probably happy with just an iPad mini.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jeherrin posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but if I buy an iPad in the US and take it back to the UK, can I just buy a UK charging brick and charge it without issue?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You don't even need to buy a new brick, just the actual plug part. If you know anyone in the UK who's owned MacBooks over the years, they probably have tons lying around!

this part

I was in the UK a few weeks back and borrowed a friend's official Apple USB wall charger for my phone and god drat the build quality of that felt amazing. It seriously felt bulletproof and would probably hurt like stepping on 100 Lego pieces.

Compared with this piece of poo poo that gets bent and the rods fall off if you look at it wrong or god forbid you threw it in a bag pocket with something else in it:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Go to Settings - iTunes and App Store and see if “updates” is on in the Automatic Downloads section. If it is, the iPad should automatically update when it’s plugged in, screen off, and connected to WiFi.

E: oops, I read gud. Maybe it’s the three condition part.

It does this on my iPhone too. I have to remember to open the App Store once a week and manually refresh and update all. I have all the things you said enabled.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Len posted:

If i have a fuckload of discord notifications from the day how do i quickly clear them all? My android just has a clear all button but i cant seem to find it on this ipad. Does such a thing exist?

Pull down, force touch the (x), press clear all.

So I haven’t owned an iPad since something like 2011, whichever one that was, but I’ve had an iPhone since the very first one. If I were to buy an iPad today would the new iPad be “good enough” or is it one of those situations where its only purpose is to make you wish you bought a Pro instead?

e: I don’t remember all the reasons why I didn’t like the iPad I owned 7 years ago, but among them were the awful screen and screen resolution, the lack of great apps, and only being able to do one thing at a time (no split screen).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 7, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Len posted:

I only see the x on days that aren't today or am I just doing something super wrong?

I don’t have any notifications on my phone right now to test it but it should work for any of them. There’s no way to clear notifications in a more fine grain manner though if that’s what you wanted (ie, clearing all of yesterday’s or all of Discord only).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I went and played with the iPad and the iPad Pros today with the pencils and wow, I was really impressed. I think I'm pretty set on buying a 2018 iPad and a Pencil now. Do you guys think the 32 GB version is enough? All my media content is streamed (Apple Music, Netflix, Plex, etc) and I don't play any games on my iPhone other than Hearthstone. I have Dropbox, OneDrive, and iCloud so I'm leaning towards 32GB being enough but I'm not sure.

e: Does Hey Siri work with iPad? I can't really find any information on this.

e2: My 6s is the 64GB version and I have about 39GB available. That's a bit concerning but it looks like it's mostly from having all my photos and way too many downloaded podcasts for some reason.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I went with the 128GB model because you're right I don't ever want to have to worry about storage, and also I can resell it for more when the new new iPad comes out. The only thing I wish I did (or didn't do rather) was to look up what people meant by this "air gap" thing because it's not something I noticed before at all but now I see it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Len posted:

This is what I'm talking about :

There's no x on the "now" stuff only the "earlier" stuff has an x:

Is the iPad locked? I feel like it would make sense that you can't clear them if the phone is still locked but I dunno, I've never seen that screen without the (x) buttons like Quantum posted.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just set up my new iPad and holy poo poo that was so cool. “Hold your iPhone close to your iPad and have it configure all the things” :aaa:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

You’re all missing the point, there’s no X on recently received notifications. He wants a fast way to clear a bunch of recent ones and AFAIK there’s no way besides either ignoring them until they become “Earlier Today” or swiping them one by one.

Len posted:

Even having them swipe away as easy as Android would be nice. Unless I'm doing it wrong left swipe brings up a box that says "clear" and swiping right open the thing. On my phone swiping either way just clears it out with no further questions and clicking it opens the app.

I get what you’re saying now and it feels like it’s a bug or should be. To get around this problem you need to lock the device and unlock it, then when you pull down again it’ll have the x button.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does the silicon back covers for the iPad Pro 9.7” work with the new iPad?

Are glass screen protectors worth it or are they all pretty terrible? I don’t use one on my phone and I don’t have any scratches I notice, but I always put my phone in it’s own pocket in my pants and in general don’t care about scratching it since it too much. With the iPad it’ll just be thrown into a bag so I’m worried about scratching it.

e: When I plug my iPad into my laptop (or the monitor) it says "not charging" up at the top, yet the same cable/ports charge my iPhone just fine. Is it not possible to charge iPads via USB from a computer cause of wattage or something?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 8, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, the problem is the part where it keeps a copy on my computer.

I guess iCloud isn't supposed to be like Dropbox, but I've got 1.7gb of space that I can't use because I don't have a Mac with that much space. Which kind of sucks. I could keep everything is my Documents and Desktop folders I guess...

What are you trying to do? Dropbox keeps files on the computer too so I’m not sure I understand what the problem is. If the issue is you don’t have a Mac then you can also install it on your Windows pc

If you just want to move those 1.7GB elsewhere but not delete it you can link your iCloud Drive with your Dropbox and move everything over from your iPad or iPhone. You’d have to just select all the files you want to move, hit share and copy to Dropbox, and then you could just delete it from iCloud Drive.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've been looking at consolidating my cloud storage services yesterday and wow, Dropbox's prices are so bad compared to everyone else's. It's hilarious that if I signed up today for their free tier I'd only get 2 GB, vs. 15 GB from Google or 50 GB from Apple for $1/month.

(Also I had no idea/forgot that Dropbox had selective syncing, Krispy Wafer.)

Anyway, I was looking for a way to clear out the local iCloud files on my iPad since I was previewing a lot of them and they were only being downloaded when I tapped on them and there isn't a way short of signing out from iCloud altogether and signing back in. I thought was kinda silly but looking into iCloud and Apple's """philosophy""" made me get it.

In short (and I could be very, very, wrong), Apple doesn't hold the concept of an "iCloud folder on my Mac" and an "iCloud folder on my iPad." They just view it as "there is one iCloud folder, and it exists on our servers." Previewing all those files on my iPad caused them all to be downloaded and cached locally for later viewing, but as far as Apple cares the iCloud folder on my iPad is the same exact one as on their servers with the only difference being whether or not the file has been locally cached. Presumably on macOS and iOS if I'm running low on space then iCloud will purge local caches that it doesn't think need to be immediately available. I have no idea if iCloud on Windows is integrated into the OS at that level to be able to do that.

e: iPad related: I regret buying a space gray iPad :(. I thought having the black bezels would be better for media consumption which it probably is, but since the iPad can be oriented in any direction I don't always immediately know where the touch id sensor is and the black bezel makes it difficult to see when it's dark.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 10, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've been using Notability as a scratchpad to take notes on and to write down random thoughts/things I need to do at or for work. I really like the infinite scrolling (works really well for long math problems) but one thing I'm missing is the ability to jump from notebook to notebook. I would like to have one for "things I need to do that I'll process later" and one for "general scratchpad for today for solving equations or writing things down that I immediately need.

I think essentially what I need are tabs. What's another good app that gives me that?

One thing that would be absolutely critical to have is the ability to select arbitrary shapes of things, and to cut/move/paste them elsewhere in the document. Notability does this very well and it's very very cool.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Noteshelf is my go to note taking app, it uses (as is hinted at by the name) a shelf motif and you have a bunch of journals. They have iCloud backup now (before it was entirely Dropbox) and a good selection of papers and journal covers. It has the same arbitrary selection cut and paste loops.

However, if you like and use Notability, can you not create "subjects" in the left column?

Another option is OneNote which is really good on the iPad. I'm thinking of moving over to that.

I have subjects, it’s just switching notebooks takes like 3 taps (exit current notebook, pick the right subject, tap the new notebook). I know that this takes almost no effort but it’s something that I’m constantly doing over and over again. I don’t need to view two notebooks at the same time, I just need to be able to switch notebooks with 1 tap vs 3.

I’m looking at the video previews on Noteshelf 2’s app page and it doesn’t look like it solves my problem. In fact I think it makes it worse because it looks like I only get one “shelf” for all things? I have a “scratch” subject in Notability for work, and I start a new blank notebook in that every morning. I also have a “tomorrow” subject, where I start a new notebook every day to write down what I’ve done today and what I need to do tomorrow, while everything is still fresh in my mind.

One Note would be perfect I think, if it didn’t have horizontal scrolling. When I first tried it that was the only thing I noticed and I hate it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No?

It’s not made of plastic or anything.

e: The front feels like glass and the back feels like aluminum, like my iPhone. The resolution and DPI of the new iPad is the exact same as the iPad Air 1 and 2 according to Wikipedia.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 12, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do I make my iPad stop turning on my iPhone's personal hotspot? I think it's a nice feature in theory but in practice I am seeing it connect to my phone's 4G way, way too much. In my iPhone I have disabled personal hotspot, but my iPad still manages to turn it back on. I don't see a switch/option to turn this auto-enabling feature on anywhere.

I'm not really worried about it using up my data plan but more that my iPad will keep connecting to my phone's 4G when I otherwise am not using it, like when it's sitting in a bag or on a table somewhere and I don't need internet.

Furthermore if I connect to my phone's hotspot how do I disconnect from it on the iPad? There's no option to do that other than turning off wifi altogether it looks like but that's not what I want either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

fr3lm0 posted:

Tap the info button next to the iPhone under wifi seeing and unselect auto-join.

I didn’t think to do this. Thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but I just found out (on reddit) that tapping a link with two fingers in Safari will open the link in a new tab in the background.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I read the post I thought departed meant that he left the company. It didn’t even cross my mind that he died until the other guy mentioned it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have it too but it doesn’t show up when I tap on the iCloud account. On my iPhone I have Health enabled though.

If I pull down and search for Health it takes me to the privacy settings but there isn’t a Health option either.

:shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I’m in split screen mode and I want to replace one of the panels with another app that isn’t on my home bar, is there an easier way other than pressing the home button, opening the app, open the original split screen, and then drag the other app from recents over to the panel?

How do I do pip mode with YouTube? I can’t figure it out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why do they even need WiFi “on the go?” Assuming on the go means in the car or at a restaurant.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It would be nice if the Pencil had a small button on it that could switch between two different modes that you can define per app. Building in erase permanently doesn’t seem too useful for me but being able to switch between pen and highlight would be neat.

Wireless charging on the Pencil would be cool too but I’m not sure if it’s physically possible to fit that in there?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

drat, that would be cool, but I share you’re skepticism on it being untenable with the size constraints involved.

I’d settle on having a Smart Connector charging solution for Pro havers. To avoid multiple versions, just make the Pencil capable of both. And since I’m dreaming, I’d like them to be delivered via leprechauns riding in on unicorns.

If we’re dreaming then I’d rather the new pencil be made out of aerospace grade aluminum and personally delivered by Jony Ive himself, whereupon he’ll monologue about aluminum.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I have an app (eg Safari) running in overlay mode how do I “maximize” the app? The only way I can figure out is to drag the window down to turn it into split screen mode and then drag the window full to close the other app. But that seems really clunky.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

killa-pope posted:

The only other way I know of is to go back to the main app proper. Definitely faster if it’s on your dock or homescreen.

Thanks, though it doesn't work exactly like that. If I'm in Mail and have Safari overlayed, then hitting the Safari icon in the dock just brings up the overlay (or does nothing if the overlay is up). You need to press the home button to exit Mail and only then will tapping Safari open it back up properly. Still it's much faster than dragging Safari down into side-by-side mode and then maximizing it, I guess.

Anyway, so this morning I had a minor panic cause I couldn't find the female-female adapter for my Pencil. I found it eventually but I thought I'd buy a replacement or two if the price was right and it looks like Apple doesn't sell these (or even the caps from what I can see, only the tips are for sale)? Kinda seems like an oversight on their end to be honest.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're writing super fast you might notice some lag but it will be minimal and chances are you'll be too busy to notice some pencil lag at all. The one great thing about the pencil and the pro is the screen is laminated so it feels more like you're writing on paper.

Go to the store and try them out but either way, the iPad and pencil is great for notes.

My handwriting is awful too. One of the ways I fix this is I use notability, college ruled, and zoom in. Having a bigger space to write helps. Then when you zoom out you don't have giant handwriting.

My handwriting is also atrocious and I do the same thing in Notability as you do, except I use the grid paper otherwise my notes get slanted everywhere.

I wonder if there are apps that teach you to write better/more legible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to turn my iPhone into a touchpad for my iPad? Use case would be if I had my iPad propped up on a stand and wanting to control/tap on the screen from my iPhone without having to reach across the table.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is it possible to force lowercase with a keyboard? iOS keeps making the first letter in a sentence capitalized no matter what. I’ve tried holding shift, caps lock, tapping caps lock, etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hello Spaceman posted:

The Instagram website offers almost the same functionality as the app, but the execution is, uh, lacking.

If the Instagram app were a pick-up truck, the website would be a wheelbarrow.

The website doesn’t let you view or write direct messages. It’s really dumb.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Colonel J posted:

I have a friend who uses an iPad for campfire guitar chords, and I bought a cheap iPad off kijiji to do the same. The chords are in text files on dropbox.

I did zero research as I thought this would be simple. I got an iPad 2 for cheap, but apparently you now need iOS 10 for the dropbox app, and the 2 runs 9.3..something max.

What's the simplest way I could get this to work? Do I need to jailbreak the thing? I just need to sync a few thousand text files in a folder somewhere in a dropbox.

I don't know if you can jailbreak it not, but even if you do Dropbox most likely won't work unless you can find an ancient old version of it that runs on iOS 9. And then you run into the possible issue that maybe Dropbox has changed their internal APIs, so that that older version is no longer capable of working period.

Have you checked if either Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive works on iOS 9? Because it's probably easier to just sync your dropbox folder to one of those other services on your computer and access it through there on your iPad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I connect my iPad to a projector via HDMI, how do I control the slides (next slide etc)? Is it possible to make the volume up/down buttons on my iPhone do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can use the iPhone as a remote if you're using Keynote, not sure if PowerPoint has that feature

Yeah that’s a really cool feature (as is controlling Keynote in iCloud.com!) but I was looking for a solution with a physical button. I think I already know the answer is no but I thought I’d ask.