Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Approaching purported EoL or not I agree, the Air 4 is a fantastic device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My biggest complaint is going back to the 60hz display from my 13 Pro Max's 120hz display. Also my desktop monitors are 144hz and 75hz so 60hz just feels so comparatively slow (for like 2 minutes until my eyes adjust back, of course.)

Complete first world problem though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had an interesting bug on my up-to-date Air 4 this morning where the little navigation marker or whatever it's called was missing from the bottom of my screen. I could not swipe to get the PIN entry to appear and Touch ID did nothing, which is a bummer as I have Rest To Open enabled. Restart fixed it, but dang, it was strange.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Swappa has an IMEI checker, not sure if it works with iPads though.

https://swappa.com/imei

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At the 13"ish size I'd just as soon consider a laptop in that category, especially considering I personally don't like the Magic Keyboard for lap usage all that much.

That said, Minis are definitely the perfect size, my iPad Air 4 is almost a little too large for me in some cases too. Don't mind the size for reading all that much though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had a Surface 3 (non-pro) and that was definitely trash, but I mean, Atom processor, cheap eMMC storage, I don't know what I expected.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's an adjustment going back and forth from my Air and my 13PM. My biggest "complaint" with the Air by far.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I played with a display model in Best Buy and was basically like "Yeah, I guess I can kinda see it," and that was kinda that. I don't know that it would ruin the experience for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Sounds like it could be a UX problem with the Square app too. If it isn't already, it sounds like it should be customizable or something to fit different store layouts or whatnot.

Granted I don't know what it looks like so it could be huge and people really do just need an optometrist.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Last Chance posted:

120hz is nice but I will also turn it off if I’m trying to save battery. luckily the new low power mode on iPads will also turn it off, making it easier to toggle from control center

It doesn’t make a huge difference to me either.

Isn't ProMotion adaptive so the high refresh rate only is in effect when the screen is in motion anyway? Like, Apple Pencil usage, scrolling, gaming, etc?

I've left it on on my 13PM and that thing still has amazing battery life. I can usually leave it for 2-3 days between charges and I spend a lot of time doomscrolling.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Apple is so much about aesthetics, then why is the Apple logo and word Pencil upside down when I hold it?

Apple Pencil Lefty. We think you're gonna love it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

As a lefty, I'd buy it out of principle. :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't use my iPad as much as I'd like to, but it's an iPad Air 4 and it still works perfectly fine so I have a really hard time justifying getting rid of it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Now introducing the Apple TriPad Pro.

I'd buy it :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
P sure my Air 4 is laminated. It is a good display and my only complaint is the lack of 120hz as my 13 Pro has absolutely spoiled me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm a typer so if I take notes I want them to be typed anyway. In that way I'd like the official keyboard cover to be more flexible. But what I do instead is just buy a magnetic smart cover with a flap for the pencil when I'm in a drawing mood, and the magic keyboard when I'm not. Cumbersome but the best I can do for my probably niche use case.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snowy posted:

I want an iPad mostly to use the pencil but I’m sure I’d let the battery die and kill the thing pretty fast

So you get Pencil 2 that charges wirelessly and attaches magnetically to the side of the iPad. Problem solved!

The cheaper ones are all tradeoffs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Buff Hardback posted:

Just joined iPad Pro gang, family member wanted an iPad and was willing to take my 4th gen iPad Air in exchange for buying an iPad Pro to replace mine

Trade you a 4th gen iPad Air for your Pro :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Duet was the poo poo when I last tried it... oh, 7-8 years ago I think? I have no idea how it stacks up now but it can't be worse

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If the poo poo I paid for is still valid, I'll give it a shot. I think it was just the app that cost, right?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Once I lost my Apple Wallet and someone returned it to me with all the Apple Cash missing. Some kind of finder's fee I guess

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had one of those little wedge pillows for my iPad, it worked pretty great. For reading in bed nothing beats the convenience of a proper e-reader though (not to say anything of the benefits of e-ink screens for reading or anything of the sort)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh I never thought about a skin for the Magic Keyboard. I don't love the texture at times, that might help. Looks great though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

Cover flapping in the breeze is a key part of the "taking vacation photos with my ipad" energy.

You shouldn't be able to see what you're taking a picture of. The iPad is your viewport to the world

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought a knockoff Pencil 2 that wireless charges and supports pressure sensitivity for $25.

Apple just loving make the Pencil 2 baseline and MSRP $49.99 already

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Their carbon neutral stance is horse poo poo anyway.

Remember when they stopped putting wall warts in the box with your phone? Except now everything is USB-C and you can't even use half your old wall warts.

Like obviously Apple can't singlehandedly solve that problem, but it occurs to me there was probably some more graceful ways to handle that transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

My Pencil just falls straight to the floor. Should I make an Apple Store appointment to fix the hover? It sounds neat

I'm sorry, but we can only help iTelekinesis subscribers at this time.