Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

hypersleep posted:

You know, I don't even look at animated GIFs that much, but the poor performance of GIFs on iOS is baffling. Sometimes they work just fine. Sometimes they don't. Why? I don't have any loving clue, and sometimes I wonder if Apple's devs have a clue.

Must be some programming issue, the Tumblr app used to choke to death on gifs, and now it works just fine. Actually I think the Awful app ground to a halt on pages with lots of gifs too, and now it works fine, maybe ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

nrr posted:

Not a single one of any of the gifs I come across manage to stutter or blink their way to "fine" territory.

It gets so bad that on a page with a lot of gifs that my keyboard starts lagging seconds behind what I'm typing as well. I'm scared that it's contagious and if I stay on a lovely gif page too long, I'm going to start strobe lighting around the place irl as well.

Are we talking about Safari, or a specific app? Safari is very random with gifs to me.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

digitalcamo posted:

I have no experience with a Mac or ipad besides my iPhone. I'm interested in getting an ipad but I have not the slightest clue which model. I'm learning how to program in Python and would like to practice writing code on my lunch breaks and maybe some school work. Are iPads good for these types of activities? If so could you recommend a model to me?

For programming, a MacBook would be way, way nicer.

You can certainly do some programming on the iPad, but the MacBook would give you so many more options. Xcode, for one, which is a really nice piece of software.

If you're set on the iPad, why not wait a couple of months? The new one is likely to be announced on sept 10th.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I have an iPad 3, but all I really use it for now is comic reading, so I'm not sure if I'll bother to upgrade until they no longer give OS updates (so I guess iPad 6 will be my next one!).

I'm still using my OG ipad as a comic reader and it works perfectly fine (not so much with PDFs to tell the truth), so that's a lot of processing power you're not using. Definitely no need to upgrade if that's all you use it for!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

echobucket posted:

That says the Mini may have the A7.. I find that hard to believe and keep the existing Mini price point. Do you think they'll raise the price? I figured the Mini would get like an A6X chip or something.

If the Mini skipped a generation, Apple probably got a huge rear end discount on ordering A7's - the Ipad5, the 5S and possibly the mini (Oh and the iWatch :smug: ) would be using it. That's millions and millions of A7 chips. Wonder what's with this push for 64-bit all of a sudden.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I would honestly feel personally slighted if the new Mini did not have Retina display. Aren't there a bunch of other brand tablets with higher resolutions already? The Mini was already a disappointment when it was released without Retina, there's no way they do it again.

I wonder if it will come in gold color too...

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 9, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bankok posted:

drat, was hoping it would be on the 15th and not 22nd. Sold my mini in anticipation last week of getting the new Gen5 regular iPad, and quickly realizing how much I miss having a tablet right now.

You did all right. I sold mine in March. :smith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I hope the next iPad is more than "It's the Mini thin bezel but bigger and somewhat faster". If it isn't, I still need a new one, but would be cool if they added some new feature that separated it from the old one. Maybe even thinner, or a new screen or something.

Last year they re-introduced Mac Minis, and some new Retina Macbooks, so maybe product updates for those, maybe a mention for the Darth Vader Mac, and again, no iWatch rumors at all, so probably nothing on that front. OSX Mavericks is GM already so they'll likely have it available same day or same week. With Windows 8.1 being free from Microsoft for certain customers, I wonder if Apple will still charge 19.99 for Mavericks, go lower, or maybe even release it for free (!)

So anyway, fill those 2 previous paragraphs with superfluous poo poo to hit 550 words and you have a gizmodo article.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

She might have gotten a discount? I hope you didn't ruin it for her with the expected goon response of "drat it Mom, you are dumb! The next version is coming out on Oct 22!".

If you want to be a good son, why not try and sell that poo poo and buy her the new iPad Mini2 when it comes out?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

For those of you unfortunates with a 16gb iPad, how much free space did it have out of the box? Work wants to buy a few 16gbs, I wonder if I could make a case for 32gb? Main purpose will be taking on the job photos, keeping a small database, catalog, etc. Photos wouldn't take more than 10gb or so. No music or more than a few extra apps.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It uses about 3 gigs.

Thank you sir, so 13gb free should be enough I suppose, thought it was much less for some reason.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

smackfu posted:

Here's a discussion point for y'all: if they release an iPad mini Retina, will they still sell the old iPad mini and just charge more for the Retina?
Only Apple would know - it depends on what kind of stock they have, how's the price on the processor, demand forecasting and whether Tim Cook woke in a good mood that day.

Previously I would've guessed definitely not, since it's both old and slow, but who knows these days. I'd still guess no but I wouldn't be surprised after the iPad 2's continued success.

If I had to wager, I'd say both ipad2 and iPad mini OG will be shown the door. One week to find out!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

People who buy Apple products aren't aware and/or don't care about competing product prices, they can do whatever they want.

That's just wrong man.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

edit: ^^^^^^

Scratch that, you're talking about the iPad Mini, who the gently caress knows what they have in store for that. But regarding the regular iPad: I'm almost willing to bet they'll have an A7X on the regular iPad, there's no way they put an iphone processor in there. Also there's no leaks of the front of the next iPad yet, so I'm wondering if they'll have the fingerprint reader.

Aphrodite posted:

People bought the iPad Mini.

People also bought Nexus tablets...

While there's this fantasy that Apple can package Tim Cook's feces in a cool marketing campaign and "Apple Sheeple" will preorder it at 12:00am and form lines, it's just not true outside of a very small core of Apple faithful. All it takes is a very small fuckup to tarnish their image.

Apple's market is harder to reach and much more rewarding financially, but they can lose this market share just as easily as any other company if they gently caress up. Hell, they haven't noticeably hosed up since Steve died, and Samsung is more of a competitor than ever, just based on "We're (somewhat) cheaper and have better specs!".

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 17, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

But it's faster than the A6X. :confused: Who cares if it's an "iPhone processor" besides the tiny subset of users who even know what SoC is in their iPad.

Sorry, I didn't notice you were referring to the iPad mini, so ignore my previous comment, I meant the regular iPad.

The supposed front of the iPad did leak already and the hole for the button was cut out in a manner consistent with the 5S' Touch ID sensor.

You seem to be correct, and apparently Gold is leaked for both iPad Mini2 and the next iPad:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/ipad-5-ipad-mini-2-2372641

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mod edit: fixed the image leeching

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 17, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Keeping the iPad2 around at 399 is kind of offensive honestly

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Thwomp posted:

They still have the iPod Classic on the Apple Store so who knows really how long they'll keep the iPad 2 around for.

That reminds me, no iPod/Touch update at all, I wonder if they're officially retired regarding development

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Something I noticed on the keynote - when Steve revealed products, they sometimes had the clock on them set to the correct time of the event, this time the iPad Air was set to 9:41, but the event was way past that. One of those details. .

edit: Also in terms of event "flow", they really killed it this time with Dad & Dad iWork time

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

For his mom the mini is not out of date.

I'm sure your mom would love a mini :pervert:

But the new one is so much better looking in the screen department, and faster, why not?

But for an older, classy lady like his mom, I'd say the iPad 4 is the right choice, due mostly to larger screen (Easier on the eyes). Overall, the OG's mini screen was crappy for my middle aged peepers, it would just be cruel for an older person's eyes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

I'm a major believer in the unitasker device when it comes to reading. I love my Kindle (non-tablet) and won't read on anything but that. Granted, if you're doing a lot of PDFs it doesn't always handle them well (unsure of how the newer models do at rendering) but you cannot beat the lack of a backlit LCD for the strain on your eyes.

Oh thank you, I thought I was the only one. I absolutely love my iPad and read comics there, but I just can't read for too long in there, I use my kindle or just plain ol paper. There are dozens of us!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Since the new Air doesn't seem to have any major manufacturing processes that weren't already solved with the OG Mini and previous iPad gens, I'd probably trust those rumors that it will be widely available, as compared to for instance the Gold 5S. I'm picking one up as soon as possible.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 29, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm getting an Air to read comic books too, because the Mini annoys me with all the pointing and dragging you have to do to fit panels and so on. It's just nicer to have the whole page (or almost) and not continuously have to focus on moving the image around.

Feenix posted:

I just want you all to know that despite not being an incredibly wealthy household, we're not selling any of our 2 current iPads as I get an Air.

Instead, I'm going to get a specialized picture frame and hang it on the wall downstairs and strip it of ALL apps except home automation ones.

This will be good if our phones or iPads aren't handy, or also for the nanny.

Right now, our iDevices can control:

Our Sonos system.
The baby monitor Dropcam.
My Nest thermostat.
Our Philips Hue Lights and lightstrips throughout the house.
Possibly a video doorbell thinger one day soon.

And the upside is one day my 10 month old can have that older iPad.

(Sorry if any of this post sounded douchey. I'm real big into home automation! :) )

Bonus image of my Philips Hue Lightstrips mounted behind my TV. Not just a novelty, but great ambient lighting for TV watching.

This is all awesome. Do you have a webpage or a thread to follow / try to do this kind of poo poo? We're finally living in the future.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

This is annoying me recently (like it might have only started today), but it seems like no one's mentioning it on the internet yet:

YouTube is cracking down on the mp4 streams it gives out now and all embedded youtube videos played on iOS devices seem to be the 360p horribly compressed feed with no option to increase resolution without opening the YouTube app or going to their site in a browser. My normal YouTube viewer app, Jasmine, has also been affected and now it can only display the low-res streams.

I'm depressed about this change. Am I just the first one to discover this?

Google is kind of turning into assholes :/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ultimate Mango posted:

Went to the ATT store with 128 models in stock. Third in line a few minutes before they opened.

Refused to sell me one without a new two year contract and activation fee, even for full price.

Walked out empty handed. If I didn't have an unlimited data plan I could move over I would change carriers.

What the gently caress are they thinking here? Is this a policy or you were just met with dumbasses who thought they'd get someone else to sign up anyway.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jeez, is anyone NOT extremely positive about their new iPad Air? The OG mini had its fair share of complaints (screen and interface complaints mostly), but I don't think I've seen anything consistently complained about regarding the Air. Fuckers need to get here soon.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

If you fall asleep while using the Air and it drops on your face it's going to hurt.

From what I've read, it weighs so little, it would only feel like Jony Ive is lightly kissing you on the cheek

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

illcendiary posted:

That (minus price of course) will be next year's iPad Air.

Residency Evil posted:

You're already making me feel bad about my first ipad. :(

Welcome to the Apple Club, we reserved a nice seat for you by the fireplace!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

obi_ant posted:

So I'm planning to use my future iPad for mostly the comic book reading. Do you guys think that 16 gigs would be enough space? I've had an iPhone for a number of years now and I've never need to add space. Typically I get the eight gig or the 16 gig.

I'm also the type of person to delete anything that I haven't opened in a month or so. Which is why I've been able to use the eight gig for such a long time.

Not only no, but gently caress NO. Even if you're an obsessive space managing nerd, if you want to read comic books have at least a 32gb (I have a 64gb but I have a shitload of comics). 16gb will only be enough for a few issues which you'll likely burn through.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I have a rMBP with burn in issues that didn't show up until like a month before warranty expired. Trust me, it's bad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

flavor posted:

No trust me, it wasn't. And honestly, I'd really get AppleCare with a machine that costs >$2k.

This is not the Macbook thread, but you're a loving idiot if you think the burn in in the Macbook Pro retina wasn't bad. Even 5 minutes of staring at a youtube video leaves the white edges showing when you switch to another screen. If there are rumors of the Retina Mini getting this burn-in, I'd rather wait instead of buying one at release.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Did you know: some screens were worse than others? Calm down.

Sure, which is why I'm complaining about mine and being wary of reports of bad retina screens in the new Mini.
When I got my RMBP I researched the Samsung vs LG retina screen debate, and I dismissed it due to idiots like that guy going "it's not that bad!". Welp, 10 months later my screen is burn-in central (Yes, it's an LG). I'm saying, just because it's Apple, they can gently caress up too even in their high end stuff, and idiots like me who swallow the company line of "It just works" can get burned too. Going "You should've got AppleCare with that 2k device" is a whole another discussion I'm not getting into.

Anyway, consider me calm, I'll drop it here, and if anyone's curious about how bad the burn-in in my screen, you can ask me in PMs. I'm not some OCD color designer, my eyesight is pretty poor, so when even I notice it, it's really bad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just got home with a new SPACE Grey iPad Air. Not much to say that hasn't been said, this thing is awesome and I much prefer it to the mini. It's light but it's not "Well gently caress me up the rear end and call me a bitch" light, you know? If you're on an iPad 3 or earlier, this thing is absolutely worth it.

Edit: aaaaand just experienced my first crash to Apple logo, like a soft reset. Cool. Hadn't seen it on ios7, just checked and it already has iOS 7.03, weird

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 13, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Is that a Mini or an Air?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'd like to use iCloud to backup my iPad but I have a shitload of Garageband files that make me go a few gigabytes over the limit.

If I disable Garageband from iCloud backup, would my files still get backed up when I plug it into my Mac?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

After a few days of owning my iPad Air, I have absolutely no complaints, except that I can't legally marry it. Seriously it's such an upgrade from an OG iPad. Usually after buying some electronic device I discover some tiny detail that bugs me, but this time - nothing. What an excellent loving piece of tech, highly recommend it. I hated the iPad mini 1st gen if that matters.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Turnquiet posted:

gently caress all y'all I have been extolling the smart case for the last three weeks and now you all come to the conclusion that it is the bee's knees.

Unrelated- my wife's retina mini is pretty sweet (with girly blue smart case too) but I am not convinced that I would trade in my air for it. I appreciate the larger screen, I guess. At least she loves it, and now that leave the OG mini to the kids.

I got my PRODUCT RED iPad(tm) Air Smart(tm)Case(tm)(c) and while it's extremely cool, I got used to the lightness of the naked iPad. With the smart case it feels about as heavy as maybe an iPad2. Not sure if I want to keep it on.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tenterhooks posted:

My Retina Mini definitely has image-retention using the test that's been going around. I've never seen it while using the iPad normally (I've only had the thing a couple of days though) and knowing it's there doesn't bug me too much. Am I right in saying it isn't permanent and won't damage my device? There's an Apple store nearby but, y'know, feels a bit wasteful gunning for a replacement if it's unnecessary.

On the other hand, this thing wasn't cheap and I kinda want it to work properly.

It's only going to get worse, so plan for a return. They certainly don't get better.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BeanBandit posted:

Crap, really? I have a new retina mini with image retention on that test, but completely unnoticeable in day to day use. I had planned on just keeping it. I suppose I should plan a trip to an Apple store, then? It's been less than 14 days, and I have Applecare. What are the odds they have a 64 GB Verizon in stock?

I'd highly recommend asking for a proper screen, as I said, it only gets worse. They should exchange it no questions asked, no idea about their stock but you paid for a properly functioning device and you really shouldn't let something like that pass.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Steve was right when he said 9.7 was the perfect size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

sleepness posted:

Can anyone actually get Netflix to stream in HD to their iPad Air? For some reason, my iPad will just never flip to HD, even though if I have my iPhone or laptop in the same room on the same connection, they will begin streaming in HD near instantly. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my iPad or network what, but when every device in my home except my iPad can stream HD netflix just fine, it's a bit odd. Amazon Prime Video HD streams perfectly as well.

Just tested it and it went to HD after 30 seconds or so, so yeah. Might be your connection?