Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's ARC Squadron, I think. The game shown on the Mini, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The adonit jot pro stylus are (apparently) awesome for writing / taking notes.

I really should just pull the trigger and get one for myself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

randyest posted:

Do they even make glass screen protectors in iPad size?

BodyGuardz does for both the iPad and the Mini.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm not going to lie. I have thought about replacing my iPad 3 with the next new one just because of the 30-pin connector. I am an idiot.

I think about doing this on an almost weekly basis whenever my iPad starts running low on battery while I'm on a job site and I only have a lightning cable for my 5.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

New iPads in October: A7 architecture, fingerprint sensor, and God willing a bump to 32GB as the base spec. 16GB is too small for an iPad in 2014.

I'd survive on 16gb if it was an LTE model and everything I did on it was cloud based.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't care about the color but I hope they change the body to look like the 5/5S.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

I had no idea so many people read comics.

Same day as print releases on Comixology got me to buy comics on a weekly basis. The iPad 3 is awesome for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A lot of Walmarts are switching to 24 hour now beginning tonight/tomorrow so check up on that too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just walked to an Apple Store, played with one and immediately ask to buy it.

Holy loving poo poo the Air is amazing. Now to sell my 3 to recoup some of the damage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sneaking Mission posted:

I just bought a I-pad air with the 32 gibibytes

Same. It's so crazy light and now I can get rid of all my non-lightning cables.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is the first device I buy AppleCare+ for so I'm going to finally be able to just get a front+back protector (the one linked here from amazon) and enjoy living in a post-case world.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The loading times on this thing are hilariously fast compared to the 3. Playing X-Com I can get through the initial load, click resume, load the map or mission control and be in-game faster than it took the 3 to do the initial load.

Stupid fast. I love it.

Oh and actually have airdrop available between my phone and iPad will certainly come in handy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

You're being way too obsessive. It's a thing you touch with your fingers, so it's going to get fingerprints all over it. Keep a microfiber cloth handy and wipe it off in the morning or before you go to bed, because otherwise you're going to go nuts. If it bothers you that much, then you might want to consider getting a screen protector since they tend to show fingerprints less at the cost of feeling a lot shittier than the bare glass.

Or get a glass screen protector because why the gently caress not!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think I almost got 5-6 hours of X-Com before I had to plug it in which is insane.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

obi_ant posted:

So I'm planning to use my future iPad for mostly the comic book reading. Do you guys think that 16 gigs would be enough space? I've had an iPhone for a number of years now and I've never need to add space. Typically I get the eight gig or the 16 gig.

I'm also the type of person to delete anything that I haven't opened in a month or so. Which is why I've been able to use the eight gig for such a long time.

For comics? Absolutely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don Tacorleone posted:

Not only no, but gently caress NO. Even if you're an obsessive space managing nerd, if you want to read comic books have at least a 32gb (I have a 64gb but I have a shitload of comics). 16gb will only be enough for a few issues which you'll likely burn through.

How big are your scans? Jesus, an HD comic from comixology is 50-70mb and you can delete/archive the ones you've gone throw and re-download later if you want to read them again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

vaginal culture posted:

Why would anyone need a screen protector on an ipad? I've had like 4 iphones, 2 ipads now and never had a scratch on any of their screens. Had my phone in the same pocket as my keys, coins, etc. as well.

Hello from the construction industry where everything you own will get dirty and hosed up if you don't have some form of cover/protection.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do you need to make a genius appointment to return an iPad? The iPad Air is amazing but man the retina mini is exactly what I wanted.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it was here that someone recommended this stand for iPads. This was about a month or so ago (took forever to ship). Anyways, it finally got here today and it is pretty drat awesome and suiting my needs of keeping the iPad in place on my desk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

What software are you using to access the mass storage, and how were you lucky enough to find a thumb drive with a low enough power draw not to throw errors?

You've been able to dump movies using the camera kit forever now. Here's a random guide from 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

Is there a way yet to connect an external HDD to the iPad and play movie files, without jailbreaking?

Yes* using an iPad camera connection kit. (also assuming the external HDD has a separate power source)

* You'd only import a movie when you're ready to watch it. To do this, rename your movies to match the file name structure of your digital camera. For example, "DCIM_4132." Then, drag the file into a folder labeled "DCIM" on an SD card or a thumbdrive. When you plug your SD card or thumbdrive into the iPad via the CCK, you'll be able to import the movie onto your iPad and play it from the Photos app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Space Racist posted:

Has anyone tried the iOS 8 GM on a 3rd gen iPad yet? Just curious about how much frustration to expect tomorrow.

If that's the first one with retina display (and old port) then it's fine. There really isn't that much change in the OS so everything still works. Big apps are still horrible poo poo to use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

suddenlyissoon posted:

Before anyone gets excited, Swiftkey doesn't allow you to swipe type on iPad yet. Just iPhone and iPod Touch.

Swype on the other hand does work on the iPad. It's kinda weird to use on such a big screen but I guess this is how Zorro feels all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Did the iPad 3 ever had Airdrop? I could have sworn the option was there once but now that I'm on iOS 8 I can't seem to find it or an alternate reliable way to transfer files between it and my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Tested.com did. It makes a difference.

I fouind the video if anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQDc0wPsGg

Game comparison takes place around the 13 minute mark

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I shhh sliding doors as everyone else should. The only issue I have with hey, Siri is that I need to tell her goodbye or that'll be all so she turns off the screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The mini 4 getting bumped to iPad Air 2 internals is pretty much the dream for me right there. That's more than likely to be my next purchase.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MrBond posted:

I'm curious how the new multitasking UI will help with workflows like this. Hopefully much better?

I doubt it. At least for me, I deal with multiple spreadsheets at once and I don't think multi-tasking / split screen can handle or even let two instances of the same app run.

My former employer used one drive for business for the Office apps worked well enough in the "open file, make quick edits, automatically save to cloud" but the iPad has yet to really take over productivity. It's a great complement but I wouldn't dream of actually starting or finishing any work on it.

And like someone else said, file management is loving terrible and if I have to deal with mailing multiple files at once it's easier to just remote to my computer and actually work on that through my iPad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

Air 2 is the poo poo. It's powerful and so will probably remain usable for a long time. It's the only iPad besides the pro that can do split screen multitasking.

The mini 4 should be able to do so as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AlexF posted:

Please get your hands on a Surface Pro before saying stuff like this. That thing's build quality is top notch.

Yeah. They're not my thing but the Surface Pro is super good. My previous company had a few with the dock for the office and it was awesome what you could do with it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The amount of fraud talk whenever AppleCare is about to run out is always hilarious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leaning towards the pro after playing with one at a store but no 3D touch however is making me hold on until the 2nd gen (and hopefully iOS10) to really make it shine. Looking at either a Mini 4 or Air 2 to hold me off until then. Is there anywhere I can find find a good comparison between the two? I'm trying to see how good (or bad) the A8 is compared to the A8X which appears to be the only real difference between the two models.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: counting on Square Enix to have their poo poo in order.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Went and played with the pro again. It still feels comically huge but I brought with me couple of big rear end PDF plans from work, AirDropped them to it and holy loving poo poo I want a Pro so bad right now. I didn't even need to zoom. I can't imagine how awesome it must be for annotating and marking poo poo up on PDF Expert (which the demo units sadly don't have).

The pencil however didn't feel good. Maybe I was not used to it but it feels like the pressure tip can wear out / break / bend if I'm not super careful with it. Maybe the demo pencil has been getting tons of use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So iPad Pro havers: how easy / pain in the rear end has it been carrying it around and taking it anywhere? I'm probably pulling the trigger on one tomorrow over an Air 2 but I'm still not sold on the size of the thing for having it along on my days didn't meetings and poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm buying an iPad today after work. But which one? I still don't know. Probably going to end up with a Mini 4 because I'm an idiot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got the Pro. They didn't have a pencil so I'll have to grab that another day. Couple of thoughts:
- Yeah the screen owns and its huge but it's easy to get used to. My iPhone 6 now feels ridiculously small.
- The speakers are really, really good. Coming from an iPad 3 the difference is night and day.
- Not a big fan of the keyboard. Especially on landscape mode. Doubly so if the app hasn't been updated and you get the old keyboard which is comically large.
- Split screen / peek multi tasking is ok, could be better. I'm definitely going to get a ton of use out of it.
- PDF Expert and big PDFs files aka the reason I bought this for work perfect. They load stupid fast, there's no lag at all no matter how quick I switch pages or zoom. Drawing and making annotations are going to let me do a ton of poo poo for work wherever I am.
- No case or cover. May need a new stand for the office desk.
- Touch ID on an iPad is nice. Lightning cable is nice. :rip: the remainder of my old cables.
- Seriously, the screen is amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm still looking for a drat pencil.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loving HATE the new Smart Cover. The old covers folded into itself nicely so the inner side that faces the screen wasn't exposed while you lay the iPad down somewhere or if you used it as a stand. This one just feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pencil is back in stock on Best Buy with ship to store saying it should be ready for pickup by next Tuesday if anyone is still hunting for one. Just put my order in.