Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thread title should clarify that this info is only a rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How about volume up/down to take a picture when in camera mode?

I find that that vibrates the camera more than using the on-screen button does. It can make a big difference with the phone's tiny aperture even in bright lighting.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Really? I'm in the opposite camp.

The trick is that the on-screen button fires when you release it, not when you touch it. So tap and hold for a split second, then release for the steadiest photo.

edit: Just noticed that I'm in the iPad thread. I assume it works the same way as the phone but I don't think I've ever actually taken a picture with an iPad.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

But even if you get the shape right, what are the chances that it actually fits? Like if it's off by 1mm it will either not fit or fall off. I literally have no idea how this works in any scenario.

People will buy it anyway (see post above). The margins on Apple accessories are good enough that they probably don't have to sell that many of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Stanza also lets you copy across your own ePub files to your iPad, though its not being actively developed anymore and tends to crash a bit.

Stanza got bought by Amazon then smothered with a pillow. MegaReader is currently the closest thing there is to a Stanza replacement.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is one of those things where you don't realize how much you needed it until you have one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Jot is the kind with a hard point (kind of like a ball-point pen), but there are also ones with a soft point that can either have a metalized mesh bulb tip or some kind of rubberized conductive bulb tip with a little more friction than the metalized kind. Which type is best is pretty much entirely personal preference I think.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't need a screen protector.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That's a pretty bold statement. I'm sure my police officer friend would disagree

Your pig friend doesn't need one either.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

That's why I'm open to options. I'm not going to buy some cheap poo poo off eBay for $3.

All of the options are basically cheap poo poo off ebay, the ones that cost more than $3 are just a bigger ripoff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Well he does. I'm not sure where this insane badmouthing came from though - I'm sure he was a real pig when he risked his life to pull someone out of a burning car. What a pig thing to do.

Tell your friend to hit the innocent people with his nightstick, not his iPad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
FWIW iPhone screen protectors are about as worthless as iPad ones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The other thing with a bigger iPad would be the structural stiffness. Making a thing longer makes it easire to bend. Making it that much bigger would require it to also be thicker, or for it to be made with a frame/body somehow stiffer than the current one (which would also add weight). If they just scale up the current design then it would have to get proportionally heavier, or else be made of unobtanium.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a Jot and have a hard time believing that the plastic disk on the tip could scratch the glass on an ipad unless you have a bunch of silica sand glued to it or something.

Also, I'm pretty sure that anything that can be "buffed right out" of the glass on an iPad wasn't a scratch to start with. Either the reviewer had some lovely plastic screen cover on or else there was some greasy cheeto dust trapped under his stylus tip.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Agreed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
With three panels it can't fold into a stand, right? That sounds way worse then the previous smart covers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

smallmouth posted:

Thanks for this. It seems to work better this way. The downside is it picks up debris on the inside of the cover.

Designing the base of the stand to also be the part that goes against the screen is pretty dumb.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't like it because it makes you wait at startup while it phones home before taking you to your inbox. It also doesn't use swipe-to-delete gestures.

I think this is all because it is basically gmail.html wrapped in an exe instead of an actual native app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also it is a gift card so you are actually swapping your iPad for $200 (at retail) of Target merchandise. I think it is safe to assume that they have done the math on this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks good on a checklist of features.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Problem is that the felt side goes against the screen so having the felt side also be the side that is in contact with whatever grimy surface the stand might be resting on is less than ideal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just pick a language and stick with it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
But I prefer to type in icelandic on the urdu keyboard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

When I checked recently, they raised the iPhone price but not the iPad one. I don't understand why, but *shrug*.

Probably iPhones get replaced more often than iPads so the plan needs to cost more.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is an entire forum for posting deals.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google "calibre DRM removal" if you want to know more. It is pretty easy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have to go to Panama next month. I'm planning on getting a prepaid SIM card for data to use in my unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S. Will that same card work in my AT&T iPad2?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, they both take micro SIMs and the iPads are fully unlocked out of the box.

Great, thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone thinks that they will use it mainly for getting online, then they discover some games or subscribe to some magazines and suddenly they are out of space.

If he has any tendency towards hoarding then the 16GB may be a tight squeeze. If he is fine with deleting stuff (games/magazines/photos/whatever) after he is finished with them then it will probably be fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nihiliste posted:

Chrome works reasonably well. Remember, though, that every iOS browser has the Safari engine underneath, by Apple mandate.

Also every browser but Safari is forced to use a slowed-down version of Safari's javascript engine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't need a stylus; it is designed so that you can use a finger to touch the screen.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Myself and my girlfriend have never had an iPad screen crack. From this I conclude that the device is literally indestructable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Seems legit.

No he needs to try it on at least more than one iPad before we can draw any conclusions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If your poo poo sparks when you plug it in then take it back to the store and get a new one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Must suck to be the guy who bought an iPad2 yesterday.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Just FYI: TC-11 is going on sale this Friday. I hear you all like sales.

We do like sales.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one knows.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the iOS board games thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak