Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sounds like all you wanna do is poop browse the internet.

Isn't that what we all want though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

micropath posted:

I was given a free iPad Air by my university. Problem is I already bought an Android tablet (which I prefer) before I knew I'd be getting the iPad. What's something cool I can do with the iPad? I'd rather not sell it as I'm not sure if I'll have to use it at school.

Send it to me for safe disposal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/a-slide-into-obsolescence-ios-8-on-the-ipad-2/

RIP my trusty old iPad 2. :-(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

"Can I purchase the new iPad, please"

Store clerk hands him a two year old device

I suspect that most store clerks would ask for clarification in this situation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not that subtle IMO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Thorn may be the best hand cannon in the game now. It does 60+ damage in PvE with the Dot damage plus the already high damage. I took down a yellow bar acolyte in one shot.

My iPad requires at least three shots to take down a yellow bar acolyte. :confused:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a clear lack of testing with severed fingers.

edit: Unless Apple has a top-secret R&D lab hidden away in China that they don't want made public.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Erosion from cosmic radiation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Etrips posted:

Figured I'd ask in this thread before plunking down the money. Is there currently anyway to get an iPad mini 2 for cheaper then retail price?

Go to 6th & Market in San Francisco (or its equivalent in your city) and look for a guy standing around with a stack of iPads. Tell him that you want to buy one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

It is, but in a backwards rear end way because of app compatibility. I want to watch Netflix and play Hearthstone while pooping, but I have to watch Netflix on the 6+ and play Hearthstone on the mini. The 6+ should really just run iPad apps natively, goddamnit.

gently caress I can barely do one extra thing while pooping.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Icons scattered randomly at arbitrary spacings with a background image that is an ad for the store where you bought it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
32GB is the new 16GB.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hey some bugs are just too hard to catch in limited testing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Go to any touristy place around San Francisco to see people taking vacation photos with iPads.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't get a 16GB iPad; you will hate it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Welp I'm an idiot and apparently the setting was there all along.

You weren't imagining things, the option wasn't on my iPad after the update last night, but then it was there this morning.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wooly posted:

For night shift, why would you use sunrise/sunset though? It's not like you need less sleep in the summer, more in the winter is it?

Theoretically the color correction is supposed to be a function of the ambient light, which changes color starting around sunset if you are outdoors or near a window (this is what f.lux did/does). Apple has marketed it as a thing that helps you sleep though, which depends more on the clock than on the sun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Shirt sleeve.

Spit on it first, then use shirt sleeve.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wobbly chopping boards aren't safe.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rio posted:

Speaking of scanning, I forget what I am using but does anyone know of a scanner that would let me scan multiple pages and then export to another app as a pdf?

I use Genius Scan on iPhone for this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PCalc Lite also doesn't have ads, and can do RPN if you are interested in not doing calculations like a caveman.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Virtue posted:

Looking for a washable desk pad I can carry around with my ipad to lay it on when I'm iffy about the surface. Any recommendations before I buy a regular one and cut it down to size?

IDGI

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also reboot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Know Such Peace posted:

The first day or two of a new OS release will burn through the battery faster than usual.

Its been more than few days now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Install Overcast, problem solved.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shoulda traded them.the infant for the new iPad.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would still be happily using my 4S or 5S if OS updates didn't make them slow as poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

marjorie posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I don't have a lot of experience with ios and I'm finding it difficult to google this issue and get relevant results.

Basically, I'm finding that games that idle/do stuff in the background (for example, games that let you play until some resource is drained, then you have to wait for the resource to fill up, I'm sure there's a term for this...) don't properly track their state when I navigate away from the app or let the ipad sleep. Like, if the timer or whatever says I'll get more resources in 50 minutes, I could come back in an hour and it'll still say 50 minutes. With some games, I found that closing the app and reloading it helped to "refresh" it, but that doesn't work for all apps. Is there anything I should be doing, or any trick to fix this issue?

The purpose is to keep you there looking at ads or interacting with their brand or whatever. If the timer runs in the background then it isn't working right.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Unless they fi)d a way to make Face ID work sideways, won’t the next iPad have to have two or three of them?

Touchid was cool because it worked in any orientation and was fast. If they put faceid at the ‘top’ then when you held it sideways your hand would likely cover the sensor. Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Maybe two or even three notches?

I'm picturing a notch that runs all they way around the perimeter of the screen. It will be called the "FaceID Band".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's an iOS11 bug, the "clear all" option only appears if you have >1 day of notifications.

edit: Or apparently if you have an "earlier today" subheading?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is possible that the laptop USB ports don't put out enough power to charge it effectively. IIRC it still charges but very slowly and the power coming in through the cord isn't even enough to keep up with the power used during normal usage so if you are using while it is plugged in like that then you will probably still see the battery level go down. The same thing can happen if you plug it into an older iphone adapter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I dropped my iPad Pro once (with Smart Cover) and now the speakers pop and hiss and sound is useless

Your holding it wrong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's a 10.5" pro so that's promising - thanks!
All we have in the house is pudding rice, so it's currently sitting on a bed of rice inside a sealed food bag.

Not sure what pudding rice is, but the rice is supposed to act as a dessicant to help water evaporate from inside the device, so it won't work if the device is sealed inside of a bag.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Awful App, obviously.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple is going to have to make the next iPad either flexible, or cast from adamantium.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://vimeo.com/308509361

I’m gonna take “overblown nothingburger” for $1000.

Definitely nothingburger.

I was going to say that failure to lie flat on a table would annoy the poo poo out of me, but I didn't realize that recent iPads now come with an iPhone-style camera bump that prevents it from ever lying flat anyway. :lol:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s probably an ad doing it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

gelaskin added.

Owns

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

7.9-inch iPad mini
9.7-inch iPad
10.5-inch iPad Air
11-inch iPad Pro
12.9-inch iPad Pro

i'm waiting for the iPad shuffle

I remember when shopping for Apple hardware was different from other companies because it didn't involve trying to decypher what the real tradeoffs were between a bunch of models that were only slightly different from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I demand that all of my purchases be infinitely rigid.