Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Wacom just announced some of their own thin tip styluses, $60 and $80:
http://gizmodo.com/wacom-bamboo-fineline-a-bluetooth-stylus-with-a-point-1629726621

Oh man, I just picked up an iPad Mini Retina to replace my Dell Venue 8 for note taking. If these are any good for jotting down notes in OneNote then I'm in heaven.

Edit: Needs app support so probably not OneNote, but meh. Still looking at getting this because it looks awesome. I wonder if the Apple store will carry these since I have a few bucks in gift cards to burn there.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

RhoA posted:

You should look into the styluses from Adonit if you're looking to take notes in OneNote. It's a different type of fine tip than the Wacom, but they're better for writing purposes than the rubber tipped ones.

I'm not married to OneNote, it just happened to sync everything across all my platforms. I like the idea of a bluetooth stylus with pressure sensitivity so I honestly don't know which will win out. If I can wait for another app which lets me sync notes to my Mac laptop/desktop to support the Wacom stylus then I'll actually be happier with that I think since I can use it for sketching and artsy fartsy things too.

I'll probably wait it out either way, but thanks for the recommendation :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

japtor posted:

Wacom is a big enough name that I wouldn't be surprised if it got support in OneNote at some point, or I guess you could try bitching at both companies' support and social channels to try to make it happen quicker.

I actually would be surprised because then it would be viable competition for a Surface note taker. I mean viable in a really loose sense since there's probably not that much overlap between an iPad and a Surface in terms of end users, but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to just give the Mac side the "bare minimum" OneNote experience and save the great stylus experience for their Windows users.

And since MS dumped Wacom on the Surface 3 I doubt they're going to do much to help integrate their API into a one-off app for iPad.

Just my two cents, of course.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Surface OS is just Windows 8.1 (with maybe some Surface specific drivers) as far as I know. I don't really know much about OneNote plugins. I wouldn't be surprised if they existed, however my point was that I doubt Microsoft would be terribly interested in feature enhancing the iOS version that much. Heck, they're still at Office 2011 for OSX (with 2015 rumored around the corner, granted).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, interesting to see how this plays out. I guess if the Wacom takes off like crazy and gets mad adoption in other apps then it may force Microsoft's hand. Or they may just do it. I guess I'm being pessimistic, but if it happens then all the better for me :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any decent 3rd party right angle lightning connectors? My iPad is probably going to sit on my nightstand in landscape mode when I'm not using it, and having that cable just sticking out to the right is annoying. If I could get something that would at least come out right and immediately run down the side of the iPad that would be preferable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks exactly like what I'm looking for, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Having SMS conversations from my iPad is slick.

This is truth. My friend SMS'd me a question that required non-trivial amounts of typing and I was mildly annoyed until I realized that I could reply from either Mac on my desk, or my iPad :smug:

Now we just have to wait for Swype to hit the app store and I will be set!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

THis might be a VERY stupid question. I just installed iOS 8 on my iPad mini and said yes to upgrading to iCloud Drive. Does that cost anything?

The only thing it costs you is compatibility with pre-Yosemite (and probably 10.9.5) OS X machines. Pricewise, there is no cost unless you choose to buy extra disk space.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So we were talking about the new Wacom stylii earlier. I went ought and bought a Bamboo Fineline. It's pretty neat little thing, but I'm finding that I'm not really impressed by the levels of "pressure sensitivity" it offers, and the palm rejection is iffy at best. I'm hoping that software updates fix the latter since I'm pretty sure that's just a function of the Wacom software, but if you're looking to draw with the stylus then I'd probably wait for the Creative 2 which offers twice the pressure sensitivity.

Still really good for note taking, but I hope other apps implement the Wacom API ASAP though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dewgy posted:

The only thing that worries me about the Fineline is developers seem to be really quiet on if it's ever going to be implemented outside of note-taking apps, and Wacom themselves straight up ignored an email I sent them asking if the developer tools are the same for both. I'm pretty sure they're trying to gimp it to make you buy the Intuos stylus, and that honestly makes me want to buy neither of them.

The fineline site actually says that Adobe Sketchbook, Procreate, and support for other apps is coming "soon" so I'm pretty hopeful. All in all I've done far worse for the same amount of dollars.

And as for the SDK, it appears to be global across their Bluetooth LE stylii, according to their developer page:

http://us.wacom.com/en/developerrelations/ios/

So I don't know, it's kind of crappy that they haven't answered you but I think all the info I've found is positive :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really wish you could relegate the "incoming phone call" screen to a screen-top banner or something instead of co-opting my whole iPad with a "HERES A CALL PLEASE STOP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING" thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got an old OG iPad kicking around that I kind of just want to use for reading technical PDFs in Goodreader.. Will the App Store still provide me a version of Goodreader that runs on that ancient POS?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

In theory it should; the store should give you the latest compatible version unless the publisher opted out. Give it a try.

You know what, the App store no longer sold it, but it was still available when I went to my "Purchased" section of the App Store app. So I ended up being able to download it. Not a terrible PDF reader device I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been using my iPad at my bedside with "Hey Siri" enabled -- it's awesome for bed stuff. Not a notable post but I just have to ask --

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who instinctively thanks Siri after giving "her" a command.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehh, $800. I really want a stylus enabled iPad to take to meetings and make notes, but I already have a Wacom Bamboo BT stylus and I guess I'll just get one of the new $300 iPads for that.

I know it'll likely be a pro-only option but I would love for them to revamp the entire lineup with whatever screen technology you need to make the pencil work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

because you know Apple is tracking all that stuff, I want to know how many dick drawings have been sent in the past couple days.

I have to believe it was the first thing everyone drew.

.. by which I mean it was the first thing I drew.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Unless Apple is lying about iMessage having end-to-end encryption, they can't possibly be tracking it.

They /know/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi Home.app users, does your layout also look weird with poo poo going off screen?

Is there a way to rearrange these buttons or what, because the last one is off screen and I can't do anything about it. Also there's no real order to how these buttons are shown and it's kicking me into some fevered OCD territory.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

30 turns building an archer to fend off the five barbarians you spawned next to, and then maybe build a settler. What an experience, let me get my credit card out!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rhaegar posted:

Yeah I was referring to the refurb 2017 ipad which is not in the Canadian store unfortunately.

There's three "march 2017" iPads on the Canadian refurb store right now so I suppose the stock just comes and goes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish iOS had an option to immediately both prompt for passcode AND attempt FaceID. Inevitably when I try to unlock my iPad Pro I’m covering the camera, and it’s faster to just punch in my code than shift everything around or move into its line of sight, but I don’t want to disable faceid altogether.

I guess it’s really a non issue, but saving me the three or four seconds would be cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

if I didn't love the convenience of flipping out a physical keyboard I would replace my smart folio with a sleeve in a heartbeat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's funny is that while I had the same complaint about Bluetooth devices, it's actually MORE effort to do it the new way than it is to go settings -> bluetooth

Old way:
Settings (one input), Bluetooth (two inputs), device select (three inputs)

New way:
Swipe down (one input), long press bluetooth (two inputs), long press bluetooth (three inputs), select device (four inputs)

I think it just feels less clunky because you're not launching an app to do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will probably pick up whatever Pro comes out on day one for home. At work I have a new MBP and Pro and I use the iPad like 90% of the time while the MBP is tethered to my desk. At home I haven't touched my new MBP for weeks but just use my iPad6 for everything.

Can't wait.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Siri just reminded me to set my alarm for tomorrow morning with no prompting. I didn’t realize that the ipad was learning behaviour patterns but I can’t say I’m too surprised. Do love how it kept me from being late for work tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Skeezy posted:

The only thing to hope right now is that Apple fixes it up as quickly as possible.

Speaking of issues with iPadOS has anyone been seeing this issue?

https://twitter.com/agiletortoise/status/1183404273528426497?s=21

I’ve been losing my mind over it but haven’t seen anyone comment on it except for this one guy.

This has been driving me insane on my Pro but I keep forgetting to complain about it. Thankfully all the apps I want to launch which aren't already in my dock are in my siri suggestions when I flick down so just a little more effort than nothing required.

Outlook is the biggest culprit here. Seems like most apps work fine, but Outlook doesn't launch like 9/10 times I touch the icon in the side area.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sure am glad iPadOS went through all this rigorous testing

Thanks, TIM APPLE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whatever iPad you guys decide to go with, I seriously suggest either getting one with a laminated display or never looking at an iPad with a laminated display. If you're like me, the difference will be night and day and will bother you every time you pick it up :[

e: I'm comparing my iPad5 with iPad Pro2 and my old Air2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's good. It's definitely noticeable and gives the device a more cheap-ish feel. A lot of my friends bought it for Apple Pencil support but the small gap between display and digitizer tends to be offputting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No real suggestions, but front slung 10.5 seems really awkward, sizewise. Are you set on front vs back?

I'll just throw out that I have a Peak Design 10.5 that I took around Japan for three weeks this year and it held my 10.5 Pro (albeit without the keyboard cover) in its gadget slot, and a bunch of camera equipment which you could replace with a water bottle, etc. If you don't put in the internal dividers you could easily hold the iPad WITH keyboard folio inside the bag (not in the gadget slot) but then obviously you lose compartmentalization. It's also a pricey bag so I guess deep down I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to lug 10L of stuff around, but it was fairly slim-ish, did hold my gadgets, and the strap is really adjustable so you can just draw it super tight to your body and it's essentially a sling.

I did have it slung forward in heavy crowds just so I wouldn't smash people, but it was somewhat awkward so that's why I comment on the size.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 28, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m at my wit’s end with iOS13 on my 2018 Pro. Almost every time (but frustratingly, not always) I alt-tab between Outlook and Slack my keyboard cover stops working correctly. Force quitting Slack makes it work again until I start alt-tabbing. My keyboard randomly switches to Japanese input for no reason. I have a Japanese keyboard installed but I use English most of the time. The OS just decides to randomly swap it because HEY WHY NOT

I’d say this iPad is hosed but I’m seeing the same behaviour on my iPad6, and frustratingly the keyboard thing also on MacOS. Some of these I’ve tried to report as bugs, the others I’m not even sure how I’d go about reporting without sounding like a crazy person.

I’ve literally never been as frustrated with my Apple hardware/software as I have been with Catalina/iOS13

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they keep point releasing bug fixes we’re going to be at like 13.152 before everything is good again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since upgrading to ios13, has anyone noticed that their iPad Pro 2 (or others, I guess) with official keyboard acts weird and either stops recognizing keyboard input or just types garbage until you force-quit the app in question and re-launch it?

Example:

Wake iPad Pro, try to type something in OneNote, no input. Force quit OneNote, relaunch it, all of a sudden keyboard is working. Definitely not limited to OneNote, but consistent issues across applications. Willing to concede it’s either a keyboard issue (less likely IMO) or a software issue, just wanted to see if anyone else gets same issue before I go down hardware replacement or bug filing road.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Is the Logitech the superior keyboard to the apple smart? I'll be getting a pro for work in January and can pick my keyboard.

For the Pro 2 I'm not sure how you can beat the OEM Apple keyboard. Super thin and does anything you'd want. For an OG Pro I think the Logitech is your best bet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh sorry, I meant for 3rd generation. Somehow I missed the fact that I have a 3G and not 2G.

For the 3rd gen (with the magnetic pencil) I think you’ll have a hard time beating the Apple Smart. For 1 and 2 use the Logitech, is what I meant to say I guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve had the pencil come fly off, but always when I hit the iPad against something or bumped my arm while holding the iPad. I never looked down and didn’t know where the pencil was if it wasn’t stuck to the iPad itself. There’s always a first time for everything but I’m comfortable that it holds the pencil securely.

The only complaint I have with the Smart Keyboard is the placement of the language key. I’m always flubbing that with my palm and BAM I’m typing Japanese by accident.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might get the company to swap mine out since I don't really pay for it myself, but I value the thin profile of my iPad above almost everything so unless there's another just-as-thin option I'll likely keep going back to the Apple well for this peripheral :(

And I say I value the thin profile, but realistically with two of my thin bags the profile would make the difference between sliding the iPad in and having to jam it in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mine has been rock solid almost going on two years, mechanically. It's also my favourite keyboard to use on any of my Apple devices. Feels great IMO.

What I will say is that the smooth material they use to cover mine has been very prone to .. not bubbling, per se, but stretching and warping a little, leading to what looks like tiny surface ripples. Both me and a colleague at work have the same issue on ours so I can't tell if this is representative of the whole line or just two randomly bad units. It's just cosmetic, but somewhat disappointing for a $150-ish (CDN) part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi how do I switch between windows in Safari on a 3rd gen iPad Pro?

Also how do I bring up the Recently Used apps screen?

Like, between tabs? And with the keyboard, I presume? Ctrl-Tab.

Recently used apps, just swipe up from the bottom of the screen.

If you mash the Cmd button for a while it'll pop up a screen that shows all the common keyboard shortcuts you can use.

e: Oh unless you mean you're using the side-by-side Safari thing in Windows in which case I'd like to know too since I can't figure it out and a good part of why I actively avoid using side by side windows.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 14, 2020