Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m hoping to get some “it depends” advice from y’all, since YouTube and review sites have been pretty worthless in terms of choosing between the 11 and 12.9” model. I have (and am currently typing on) a 10.5 from 2017 that I’ve really liked, but any time I buy portable computers I always end up agonizing over screen size.

I’ve got two use cases for the iPad. The first is as a bigger-than-a-phone screen to do light work in the evenings (basically Gsuite stuff), read ebooks/PDFs, use it in the kitchen for recipes while cooking, and so on. The second is as a laptop replacement when traveling or douchebagging it up at a coffee shop, so more Gsuite work, emails, teleconferencing, and light media consumption on lovely hotel WiFi. The 10.5” has been great for this. My only beef is the keyboard width is a little cumbersome with my relatively big hands. But the idea of lugging around something much bigger seems like it’d introduce different problems.

I have a 15” MBP from 2019 that I leave pretty much perma-docked as my main work machine, so this isn’t going to be my main work station, more of an auxiliary for when I’m not at my desk. I’m planning on the Magic Keyboard but not the pencil. I don’t do video or photo editing.

Writing this all out, I’m leaning toward the 11” but want to make sure I’m not missing anything glaring outside of the better screen on the 12.9”.

Does the extra size widen the keyboard significantly? It seems like a big expense just for a bit more hand comfort.

I guess my other question with the screen size difference is multitasking viability. I don’t love iPad OS’s multitasking in general, but I would in theory like to make use of the side by side multitasking I’ve seen. Has anyone made use of that on the 11” with good results? Seems like that would be a difference maker if it’s substantially more usable on the 12.9”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My plan is to grab it off apple.com, and IIRC you get 2 weeks no questions asked, correct? I did a similar swap on the MBP when I got it.

Thanks for the perspective/reminder. Probably gonna go with the 11” and see how it goes!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Duckman2008 posted:

I have the 10.5, and for multi tasking , for iPad in general, I find split screen to be not that useful. It’s really mostly one app at a time.

But! That said what is super useful is slide over. Especially for chat and messaging apps, being able to be reading whatever I’m reading, and swipe from the right to see a screen of messages , works great.

Note: mileage will vary on this. A lot.

Totally aside, but how do you pull over apps that aren’t safari from slide over? What you described sounds great.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
It’s striking how bad they are compared to Android, and it’s been that way for years. Just copy the system.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Duckman2008 posted:

Discord is a great example.

I swipe up, discord is a recent app (so I had to have used it recently), and I drag and toss the discord app the right (I’m righty, I think it works on the left side too). It floats above the app I’m actually using. I can swipe it to the right to close it, and swipe from the right to re bring it over. You can have multiple apps like this that you can also swipe through.

This is awesome and I had no idea how to do it. Thanks so much!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
In to recommend anything but Blippi, especially since the Imposter has done two videos now.

Seriously get Mayta instead. B is way better and doesn’t act like an 8-year-old from a broken home.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I had something similar happen. Sometimes jiggling it will help, but I got a few months of that before it completely died. I ended up getting a third party replacement that had a better keyboard.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Decided not to get the new pro and am sticking with my 10.5 for at least another year. I’ve been using it more than I had and for my purposes it’s not slowing down or really showing any major limitations, so figure better to save a grand and wait until I decide to completely ditch laptops.

That said, I think I’m gonna get a 1st gen pencil for this thing. I take a lot (a lot) of handwritten notes for work and I run a consulting agency, so I have a bunch of separate notebooks for each client, and it’s becoming unruly. Is there a clear winner when it comes to apps for note taking on the iPad?

Mostly what I’d like is an app that lets me organize notes by client, sort by date, maybe tag stuff, handwriting transcription/search, and maybe the ability to attach files/images. Cool with paying if the software is really good.

Google isn’t useful in this case, so hoping there’s a consensus among y’all, either positive or negative on apps to avoid.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks, GoodNotes does look pretty solid for my needs.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Pencil trip report: I ended up saying gently caress it and bought the 11” Pro with the Pencil 2. Grabbed GoodNotes because their organizational schema matches my own passion for sub-folders.

Holy poo poo I didn’t realize what I was missing with the pencil. It writes really well and I haven’t needed to dig all over the place for notebooks, flip around, search endlessly for old notes. It’s just great. I may try playing around with Notes just for the handwriting to text feature, though. That’d be cool, and it doesn’t look like GoodNotes does that.

Also, the Magic Keyboard. It’s better to type on than the 2019 MBP keyboard, and getting an actual trackpad with right click is just delightful. Only wish there was a way to fold the keyboard back so I don’t have to yank the iPad off to write/hold it in portrait mode, but I guess that’s why the Smart Folio exists.

Edit: Figured out how to convert handwriting to text in Good Notes. It’s the same as in Notes. Select the words, tap the selection, then tap “Convert.” That would have saved me some time today.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 2, 2021

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
And let non apple widgets take priority over their dumb ones. Android has been so far ahead of them on this poo poo for years and it’s frustrating.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Am I weird for vastly preferring lightning to USB-C? Maybe it’s just been bad luck with cheap USB-C cables.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Grabbing 15 now. I'm not sure why.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there a trick to make airplay smoother? I have a completely legitimate baseball stream going on the iPad and air playing it to an Apple TV. But if it’s more than a couple feet from the Apple TV I get a good bit of hitching.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

japtor posted:

If it's going over the LAN, main thing is ideally just have the ATV wired and iPad have a good connection to the wifi (or both have a solid connection to the wifi). Besides that :shrug:. (Direct connections are different and I'd assume where iPad to ATV distance would matter, but not sure that's your scenario here)

Well it's slightly more complicated than that, if you're mirroring the screen it'll be a lot more sensitive, whereas if you airplay the media (depending on the app) it'll attempt to just forward the stream directly to the ATV (or have it access it directly?), in which case things should be smoother.

I was mirroring, since the stream didn't have an Airplay option, but I also wasn't looking for it. I'll try Airplay directly next time I do it. Didn't realize screen mirroring didn't do the same thing. Thanks!

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I really wish the political situation at apple would get leaked more. I gotta be missing something because the obvious play is to get OSX on the iPad Pro and just nuke the base MacBook line.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Maybe try pCloud? I grabbed it a while back when Dropbox stopped working on Linux, and it’s pretty awesome. Super fast, encrypted, and works with everything.

They have a sale going for 500gb for $175 lifetime at the moment.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

RhoA posted:

Laptop finally took a dump, so considering getting a new iPad Mini for mobile computing purposes. Given that I use a iPhone 13 Max Pro, wondering if the relatively minimal size difference between it and the iPad Mini will make it even worthwhile to go for the Mini. Don’t need an iPad Pro and the Mini over the Air sounds appealing as mostly a throw around device as I have a Windows desktop for most of my other poo poo.

If you plan on doing meaningful work on it, I don't think the Mini will cover your needs. I got the 11" Pro hoping I could use it as a laptop replacement and now regret not getting the 13". Just me, though.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have an 11” iPad Pro 2021 with a magic keyboard and love it, but it’s not super handy for couch reading since the keyboard doesn’t fold back for reading in portrait mode.

Is there anything third party like the old Smart Keyboard folio? I’m looking for something magnetic (so I don’t have to pry it off when I wanna use the magic keyboard for actual work), with a keyboard that folds back behind the iPad so I can hold it on the couch in portrait mode. The old version of the Smart Keyboard folio offered this at some point and it was great.

Most of what I’ve found on Amazon either does the cover fold or has a keyboard, or has both but the case isn’t magnetic.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Proteus Jones posted:

Logitech Combo Touch keyboard. I just got one because I was having the same annoyance with the otherwise brilliant Magic Keyboard.

It uses the smart connector, has a slot to accommodate the pencil docking/charging, and the keyboard detaches. You can even attach it the other way around to fold away to the back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0937Z63SR/?th=1

Thanks - I’d been shying away from the combo touch due to cost (already have the magic keyboard) and being leery of the detachable keyboard, but I’m really not finding anything that makes the grade for what I need outside or the Smart Folio Keyboard, and I’ve had build quality issues with the one I had on my iPad Pro from 2017.

Questions about the combo touch: how unruly is the kickstand if you’re doing lap typing? I’m sure it’s not as sturdy as the magic keyboard, but if I set it on the couch between my legs, would it hold up? I did that with the Smart Keyboard folio with decent success.

The more I look at it the more I’m thinking it may cover my needs well. I usually have the iPad off to the side while I work for personal stuff, then yank it off the magic keyboard to do handwritten note taking with the pencil. I’m kinda wondering if it’ll be able to replace the magic keyboard completely.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Proteus Jones posted:

I've never really used it that way. When I use it on the couch or my recliner, I use a lap desk at that point. However, I don't think the kickstand would work as well as the Magic Keyboard in that case.

In my personal use, it's completely replaced the Magic Keyboard. The touchpad and the keys all have a great feel and the keyboard is easy to detach/re-attach. Be aware it does take up a bit more surface because of the kickstand.

Nice, thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it and I'm excited to try it out. The option to flip the keyboard behind the iPad is a real seller for me. When I'm couching it up I like having the option to type when I'm doing something more involved but generally do my thing in portrait mode, which is an obvious drawback to the Magic Keyboard.

I sorta fall into a weird use category, or at least a non-specialized one, so something with a bit more flexibility is probably up my alley. I think the Combo Touch is going to be perfect for when I'm not at my desk, but also curious to see how it measures up against the Magic Keyboard when I'm using the iPad more as a laptop.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Trip report on the Combo Touch after using it for about a week now. I really like it, and it does a great job of covering my needs from typing on the desk to swapping between keyboard typing and portrait mode on the couch. The keyboard and trackpad aren't as amazing as the Magic Keyboard, but they're still good enough that I could see working on them for extended periods of time if/when I travel again. The option to get it all out of the way quickly is really nice and is what puts it over the edge in terms of usefulness. The added protection is a plus, as well. My main gripe with it is there's no real way to secure the pencil when you're carrying the iPad around, and I've had it fly off a couple times while opening it up, but that's also a problem with the Magic Keyboard.

I think if you're going for a true laptop replacement, the Magic Keyboard is the better buy. But if you have mixed use cases the Combo Touch is a better option.

Pros:
  • Keyboard and trackpad are solid but not spectacular. Still beats the Smart Keyboard Folio by a large margin.
  • The trackpad is huge. Huge to the point that I hit it sometimes while typing and haven't figured out how to have the iPad ignore it when I do so.
  • It converts to a regular iPad case when you want it to by flipping the keyboard around. It just closes behind the iPad and deactivates the keyboard.
  • Side protection is nice.
  • Function keys on the keyboard are cool. Not a must-have but now that they're there, I use them a lot.
  • It uses the Smart Connector to power itself, so no need to charge the thing.
Cons:
  • The keyboard and trackpad aren't as solid as the Magic Keyboard, but that's almost an unfair comparison since the Magic Keyboard is better than the keyboard on my 2019 Macbook Pro.
  • The extra protection adds weight, which is a tradeoff.
  • The kickstand it has to adjust the viewing angle seems flimsy and I worry about its longevity. It does provide more viewing angles than the Magic Keyboard, but doesn't have the forward tilt for bed viewing.
  • No way to secure the pencil.
  • The kickstand adds footprint to the whole setup, which makes it less feasible to just type away on your actual lap. I offset this by just laying it in front of me on the couch when I need to type there, but setting it on your legs and typing was barely doable and I'm 5'11".
  • No pass-through charging with its own USB-C port. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but I could see someone missing it if they use the iPad as a laptop replacement.

All in all I'm gonna sell the Magic Keyboard, I think.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I grabbed some Airpod Pros on a bundle offer and the noise cancellation is pretty incredible, but I don't have a compelling use case for them instead of the over-the-ears I use at home. If I traveled more (or at all, nowadays) I could see them being lifesavers on a plane, but the only real use they get from me nowadays is when I need to take a phone call.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If it helps, the UX for YouTube mobile is garbage.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have the 11 Pro and am really happy with it. There are times I find myself missing a bigger screen, usually when using it as a work laptop replacement, but my dad has the big fucker and it's just too unruly for my usual use case. It's like carrying a monitor around, man.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have the Logitech Combo Touch for my 11 inch pro. I tried it and the Magic Keyboard and ended up liking the combo touch better because I could put the keyboard behind the iPad when I wasn’t typing. The downside is it’s much less couch friendly because it has a kickstand when you’re typing. I just put a couch cushion in front of me and used it as a table and it worked great. The benefit of being able to go into reading/browsing mode without having the keyboard get in the way, plus extra protection around the device, worked really well for my use case.

Not sure if they sell it for the Air but if so I’d add it as a consideration.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Original_Z posted:

Are there any recommended keyboards for the 11 pro that also function as a cover and have a trackpad? I like the design of the smart folio but it's not cheap and doesn't have a mouse trackpad like the magic keyboard, but I prefer the surface-style thing where the keyboard is very portable and also functions as a screen protector of sorts.

I can’t recommend the Logitech Combo Touch enough. The keyboard and trackpad are a tick worse than the Magic Keyboard but you get protection and a removable keyboard you can store behind the iPad at the expense of an admittedly clumsy but sturdy kickstand when you wanna type.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 that I could have kept using for your exact use case without issue but I’m a gadget nerd. My kid now uses it for streaming and light gaming and while I notice a difference in screen and sound quality, nothing about the 2017 is really showing its age.

For “second screen” type stuff I think pretty much any iPad you buy today will cover your needs up until apple stops supporting the hardware.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The kid has finally monopolized the old iPad Pro 10.5. What’s a good new one to get for my wife? She’s not really technical, just needs something to dick around on the couch and maybe play some light non-controller games. Thinking the Air just for some longevity, but is that a good move?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks folks. I'll take a look. The 9th gen looks solid compared to the new Air.

e: What about an Air 4, assuming I can find one? It seems slightly more powerful than the 9th gen and supports the Pencil 2, which may be something she'll eventually want. Worth going for it if I can find a refurb?

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 31, 2022

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah, I have an 11-inch 3rd generation Pro and love the pencil. I think I'm gonna grab her an Air 4 since it's compatible with the Magic Keyboard, which I never got around to selling after switching to the Logitech Combo Touch. So she could go laptop mode if she so desired.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I picked up an old iPad Air 2 at an estate sale. I turned it on and reset it, but it's locked using iCloud. Have any of you had success getting Apple to unlock an old device? I have an invoice from the auctionhouse as a proof of purchase, but I'm assuming the original purchaser isn't around to give me a receipt.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Well that's frustrating. Shame on me, I guess, but I'm not looking forward to just e-wasting something that's in working order.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The combo touch is fantastic and you should get it if it works for your iPad

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was leaning towards just getting it. How well does it work as a protective case? Is the keyboard portion floppy or sturdy?

It's not as solid as the Magic keyboard, but if you set it on a desk or surface it'll be fine. It has a kickstand rather than spring to hold the ipad in place. The tradeoff is you get a detachable keyboard, easier portrait mode, and better protection around the sides of the device. The big one for me was being able to swap between landscape and portrait easily, but if you're using it as solely a laptop replacement, go for the Magic keyboard.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Whatever they did to Dark Sky should be a computer crime.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My wife’s refurbished Air 4 started doing this thing where the screen just showed gray lines, at first intermittently and then constantly. Took it in today and was out of there with a replacement in about 30 minutes. The ease alone made applecare worth the expense.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Obsidian rules

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Welcome to the world of laptop replacement, a thing you didn’t know you needed until you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I hope they’re not that expensive but the goddamn phones are going for $11-1200+ now.