Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My dad is looking for a keyboard for his iPad (v2 I believe). Any recommendations? He wants to be able to set the iPad up more like a small laptop when he has a lot of typing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm off to check them out now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Refurb iPad Air 2 just arrived and the touch screen seems to be incredibly defective. It doesn't seem to register all touches and when it does it is often slow to react and/or inputs multiple characters (even though the visual feedback only shows one character press on the soft keyboard). Took me at least 10 minutes to enter a simple 9 character all lowercase wifi password and slide to shut down doesn't work at all. Is there a possibility they will exchange it on the spot if I take it to an Apple store, or should I just mail it back?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Biodome posted:

It has the same warranty as a new iPad so if you take it to the Apple Store they will exchange it, you would still need an appointment but it should be exchanged once they see you if they have it in stock.

I now have a store appointment tomorrow after phone support had me update from 10.3 to 10.3.2 which didn't resolve the issue, but is there actually a chance they would have an Air 2 in stock? I would assume not since it's now discontinued and only available from the refurb store, but maybe that's not the case? If not, I suppose they could replace it with a 2017 iPad, but that would require upgrading me from 64GB to 128GB, so that doesn't seem too likely. Also, I do like the thinness and the fully laminated display of the Air 2.

I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks on Saturday, so if there's not a decent chance I'd leave the Apple Store tomorrow with a working iPad it makes more sense time wise to just return this iPad via mail and order a new one once I return.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, Apple Stores keep stock of most everything. Unless a bunch of people come in with defective iPads Air 2, you should be able to leave with a fresh refurb.

The store I had the appointment at didn't have any matching models in stock, but thankfully another nearby store did. Woot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

My guess is they don't want to support another platform, i.e. making sure the UX is also good with a keyboard and mouse. Because you know people will start complaining/reviewing when things don't work work quite right on a Mac despite warnings that the app was designed only for iPad/iPhone. In general, big companies already had a separate team working on the desktop experience (a webapp in many cases), and want to make sure their users are receiving the ideal experience for their device. And as mentioned, for paid apps they might already have a separate MacOS revenue stream that they want to maintain (and may have Mac developers they need to pay in addition to their mobile developers).