Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

fordan posted:

Pricing image is missing the 128GB option. The one I need to start saving for now if the new iPad is July!

People actually buy these?! Might as well get an 11" Air...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

japtor posted:

I'm thinking of going iPad mini and MBA 11" at some point. Since getting the mini my old big iPad hasn't been getting as much use. It's better for typing...but I figure a MBA would be even better and be more flexible (there are times I'd really like a desktop OS vs iOS workarounds or remoting into my computer).

This is my setup (soon to be joined by a well-specced Mac Mini) and I can confirm its awesomeness.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

As much as I love my mini, using a 3 this past weekend had my Apple purchase sense tingling in anticipation of the 5. The full size really is optimal in a lot of ways. Typing, for one.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini overtakes the 9.7-inch iPad in sales, one day.

I'd be astonished if this weren't already the case, at least for the last year. Pretty soon it'll be true cumulatively, I imagine.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You're trying to apply some really strict market segmentation to products that overlap several segments. I'm not sure why that's so important to you and I don't think it'll dictate what products Apple brings to market, but whatever.

Apple knows that every time a pedant opines about content creation vs consumption, one of their cash registers rings somewhere.

Not that they have cash registers, but the point stands I guess.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Can someone in the UK recommend where I might procure a [hopefully discounted] 3rd or 4th gen new (but possibly refurb) 16GB iPad? Trying to coordinate getting one for my gran from overseas.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

averox posted:

Glad to know that T-Mobile's customer support lines, or at least the lady I spoke to, are clueless about their 200MB BYOD promotion. I got my nano sim today and decided to pop it in and give it a shot. No Service the iPad says. Figured I should call T-Mobile and activate the sim.

The lady was trying to tell me I needed my credit ran and that I needed to open a voice plan to make use of the promotion. This obviously contradicted all the crap we've been hearing about the promotion what with the CEO saying they goofed and there should be no extra requirements as long as you bring your own device. Told the lady no way and that if I had problems, I'd call back. Did a little research more online and all you need to do is pop in the sim and do a power cycle. Once you're back in, open up Safari and it should automatically bring you to a T-Mobile activation page.

Did you just get the SIM at a T-Mobile store? And didn't open an account or anything?

I'm a Canadian who frequently travels to the USA - hoping I can get myself onto this tablet plan of theirs for travel-data-goodness :)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

Nope - an iPad needs its own separate data plan if you're not going to tether to a smartphone.

Going the other direction works - at least it did for me last time I tried it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

:lol: artisan crafted technology

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

They could have gone the Apple route and said, "You want office on your device? Buy a surface :laugh:"

Isn't that what they've been doing for the past 18 months? :confused:

Guess it wasn't working.

The primary outcome of Microsoft's non-Windows holdout of Office has been to train many people how little they actually need Office.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Yeah, this pretty much. My job is doing most of the day to day poo poo with Numbers and exporting PDFs for customers. The accountant will probably die clutching Excel in his cold hands though.

Yeah. Excel is genuinely peerless, but most people other than accountants and such don't actually need it. Soulver and Numbers easily cover 90% of most people's use cases.

Word is increasingly a relic of a bygone era - when laying things out for paper consumption really mattered (I mean, it still happens... but this is not a growth market, to be charitable).

PowerPoint can die in a fire.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Maybe for word stuff but anything other than your most basic spreadsheet is a terrible experience in Numbers.

I think it's pretty decent :confused:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ddogflex posted:

Do you do any formatting in Excel? Or just a plain rear end sheet with data in it? It makes a lot of spreadsheets I make look completely broken. That's enough for me, I haven't even checked if it works with formulas I use. Not to mention VBA macros.

I'm not taking about Excel compatibility (so that rules out VBA of course) - I just mean it functions well for my needs as a spreadsheeting tool. All bets are off once you start dealing with xls/xlsx files.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ddogflex posted:

Oh, then yeah, I agree. If you aren't doing anything nutty it's more than adequate for most people.

Yeah. File "compatibility" is never not a Sisyphean rabbit-hole of disappointment anyway. I've never seen it work 100% properly in any context in the sum of my computing experience. If you need to deal with Office files, you are sort of stuck using Office.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I got an LTE iPad Mini w/ Retina Display since T-Mobile was selling them at Wifi prices. I'll probably use LTE sparingly. Is it a good idea to just disable cellular data when I don't need it to save battery?

That's a good deal. How does one get on that train?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

How well does the non-Retina Mini handle iOS 7? I have a 64GB Mini that my son uses and it's bugging me for an update (currently running 6.0.2), but I don't want to do it if it's going to run like my old iPhone 4 did after upgrading to iOS 7.

It's adequate for sure, but I've deliberately avoided using a better iPad with iOS 7 - so take that for what it's worth.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So do we have a date for when these actually show up in Apple Stores?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Amber Alert posted:

I had a Mini 1 until I recently sold it to fund my 6+ purchase. I loved that thing, it rarely had me wishing I'd had the full size ipad.

I actually feel the opposite about the Mini. It's too large to be portable for me, and nowhere near as usable as the full-size - I've long considered it to be the most difficult iOS device to type on, given its sizing.

Air 2 for me this week.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

That's weird, my two thumbed portrait typing is just as fast on a mini as a 5S. If you're trying to do like home key touch typing in landscape, it would suck though.

Really? I don't see how that's possible. It's a far bigger, more awkward device with much greater travel per keystroke.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

I don't think I have huge hands or whatever, but here:

As for speed, I don't know. Maybe thumbs don't take much time to travel an extra inch or whatever?

Fair enough. I've always been of the opinion I could best most Mini typers at typing speed on my iPhone, but probably not most full-size users. Alas, this lives in the realm of my own conjecture for now.

ddogflex posted:

Perhaps people have different sized hands.

:mad:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

What could best buy possibly do with fingerprints, good or bad?

Of all the parties I'd freely surrender my biometrics to, Best Buy is far from inclusion on that list.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Why do you care? I don't get why fingerprints should be kept private (or shared willingly), it's not like anyone can remake your thumb and take it to the dmv and start stealing your identity.

I guess the pawn act involves cross checking sellers with a database and I wouldn't care about that either, you know?

Why do I care?! Best Buy is an incompetent, tawdry organization, I can't change my fingerprints, and I have 50 or more years ahead of me where my poorly-stewarded fingerprints might be used in some nefarious and heretofore unimaginable scheme. It seems the bare minimum of forward-looking caution to not participate, but to each his own.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

loudog999 posted:

I'm thinking about heading to best buy tomorrow to do a trade in, just wanted to make sure I understand this. If I take in my old iPhone 5 and my air I should be getting about $475 in trade in, then on top of that they will give me a $50 coupon for trading up to the air 2 essentially making a 16gb air 2 cost nothing out of pocket? I wasn't planing on upgrading since I have no problem with my current air but if it's free I don't see a reason not to

Isn't it only free because you're surrendering two other devices, each with rather good resale value? It may well be worth doing, but that's an odd definition of free.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Precisely. Like I said, I can't change them, and I need them for the next 50 years.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

limekle posted:

Just to confirm... The Mini 3 is essentially the Mini 2 with TouchID? (And therefore not worth the extra money?)

Googling seems to give me 50/50 results on whether the Mini 3 has 1gb or 2gb for ram.

I would struggle to pay $100 for a touch ID alone, but I have to tell you: the touch ID on my Air 2 has been a game changer for me. 1Password is a dream to use.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

limekle posted:

Ugh, yeah. I do love both touchID and 1Password. I don't know if I can justify it for just that though. Trying to decide if I should just pony up the cash for an Air 2.

I'm still using a 1st Gen, so anything will be a huge improvement, but I also am planning on hanging on to whatever I buy for several years.

I went from an original mini to an Air 2. This has been a mind blowing transition, and I encourage you to do the same :)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to be careful though, as it depends from company to company. Mine (giant tech megacorp) disables TouchID for any iOS devices you want your work email/calendar on, and requires you to enter an alphanumeric password vs a simple 4-digit PIN.

They disable touchID? Don't giant tech megacorps ostensibly care about security? Or should this be filed under for security reasons, your password may not contain more than 8 characters.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I just joined team 12.9. Fully the right decision.

Also loving the Logitech keyboard and having cellular on an iPad for the first time.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

On the topic of the 12.9, I love my new one, but I must say the battery life is a bit disappointing compared to what I was expecting. I can easily deplete it in a day. Is this in line with what others are experiencing?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

japtor posted:

Those seem to seem to be accessibility only still, so you have to reenable that crap to get the extra button functions back.

That is so stupid. Goddamnit I just want to be able to use the other buttons without having this stupid virtual home button hanging around like a bad fart.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

priznat posted:

Nice, thanks for the info! I think that will be the best option. Unfortunate that it doesn’t use the smart connector but quite a battery life anyway. I will have to run the iPad naked for a bit because they don’t have the logitech in stock and have to order it so that will be interesting too!

Unrelated but I really want to get in that Xbox beta that lets you stream games to tablets, the pro 12.9 will be awesome for this.

I’ve got a Logitech 12.9 sitting in a drawer doing nothing since I switched to the Magic Keyboard. I’ll put it on SA Mart today.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

12.9 rules. Love mine

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Am I correct that there’s no way to switch text input focus from one app to the other when you’re in split screen mode?

Surely this can’t be true?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Ah ok - it fails for me (via tapping, but with a Magic Keyboard connected) with certain combinations of apps. With Notes and Safari, say - I cannot get the focus to leave Notes after clicking into Safari.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone got any thoughts on the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard? I only learned of it recently and I think it might be perfect for my needs.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I ended up buying a Logitech Combo Touch for my 11”. I love this thing - but it’s particularly unlappable if that matters to you.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

If you plan on doing meaningful work on it, I don't think the Mini will cover your needs. I got the 11" Pro hoping I could use it as a laptop replacement and now regret not getting the 13". Just me, though.

Counterpoint: I started off with the 13", and found it too unwieldy for the computing value it was ultimately bringing. I'm much much happier with the 11", to the point that I'm more productive with it because I enjoy using it more.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I have the Peak Designs Everyday Backpack. It has separate tablet and laptop sleeves. It’s ludicrously expensive for a backpack, but honestly I’d rebuy it in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

The smaller zip ones are a great laptop bag but they are absolutely terrible camera bags (which is the main market they target).

The non-zip ones with the flap and side zips suck.

I’ve got the big 30L flap one. Love it - it’s perfect for my use cases.