Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TPU, at least, can be remelted and reused. I'd be legitimately surprised if a company would rather buy all new plastic rather than just regrind the cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Honestly the 3rd gen is kind of a blunder to fill the gap between the 2nd gen and a Retina iPad (that would later be the 4th gen.) It's just not a great iPad, like how the 4th gen iPod is a blunder.
The 3rd gen is retina, though. What are you saying? Mine works great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So the iPad 3 was a blunder because the iPad 4 runs faster than it? Does this mean the iPad 4 will turn into a blunder when the inevitably faster iPad 5 comes out? The iPad 3 runs almost identically to the iPad 2 and looks way better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

What abut it makes it a blunder? Its still an incredibly fast device. Its probably going to be the same in performance as the iPhone 4 is to the iPhone 5. Since the 4th Gen iPad is really the iPad 3rd Gen S.

I don't know? That's why I am asking? I'm not the one claiming the iPad 3 is a blunder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

So an iPad 4 is £480 and I could probably sell my iPad 3 for £350. Is the difference between the two big enough to justify the extra £130? I know that I'd really like AirDrop, but how much has it really improved outside of that? Especially since I'd probably fork out the extra money and go with the £560 64GB model instead.
Do you like your iPad 3? Do you wish it could be twice as fast? If so, is twice as fast and Airdrop worth £130 (or £210)? If so, then go for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

9to5mac posted screenshots of iOS7 beta running on iPad.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/24/apple-seeds-ios-7-beta-2-to-developers/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I guess I never posted it in this thread because the beta wasn't out for the iPad yet, but please don't derail this thread with iOS 7 chat.

We have a dedicated iOS 7 thread.

Sorry I thought that was for people actually using it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me... For the paste few days, about twice a day, and especially on SomethingAwful, just clicking on the link for, say, the next page of a thread will result in my browser being redirected to scummy sites like a 'local slags'. I googled the problem, and it seems quite common, but no one h come up with a solution yet. Apparently this happens on both the ipad and the iPhone, and on chrome or safari. Apple are apparently sticking their fingers in their ears and denying that this is even possible, so no help from them.

Luckily I don't have kids who use the ipad or anything like that, but still, its not a great new feature. Any tips?

On SA, at least, there's been some ads that do this. Complain here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449562&pagenumber=12#lastpost

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Apple seems to set production designs at least 6 months out. It's more likely that, as Diabolik900 stated, Google figured Retina would be the big upgrade the Gen 2 Mini would receive and moved to beat Apple to release.

I'm more interested in this: can a Lightning connector support USB3.0? I'd really love, more than anything else, to see transfer speeds increase over USB 2.0 but I know they'd have to have a new USB3 adapter on one end.
I don't think there's any fundamental reason it can't. Remember that it has a chip in it to control everything, though there might not be any devices that will accept 3.0 yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There will be a new iPad and it will look more like the iPad mini potentially including thinner bezels. Also it will be faster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I have an iPad 3, but all I really use it for now is comic reading, so I'm not sure if I'll bother to upgrade until they no longer give OS updates (so I guess iPad 6 will be my next one!).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My biggest problem on my iPad 3 is that changing wallpapers somehow slows the entire thing to an unresponsive crawl.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

If the Mini skipped a generation, Apple probably got a huge rear end discount on ordering A7's - the Ipad5, the 5S and possibly the mini (Oh and the iWatch :smug: ) would be using it. That's millions and millions of A7 chips. Wonder what's with this push for 64-bit all of a sudden.
I think it's just so they can get their entire lineup on 64 bit at roughly the same time so when the time comes that they can finally drop 32 bit support (in three years, I guess) they can do it all at once. Meanwhile, they're ahead of the curve on switching over so by the time 64 bit is actually a necessary upgrade, they'll already be done with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sieg posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I'd consider mine to be in flawless condition. I had a small yellow stain on my screen and it never went away after hours of using it on max brightness. So after 11 months (March 2013 for me) I took it in and swapped it. Probably a dick move, but they swapped me within 10 minutes.
Using your warranty on a legitimate quality issue is not a dick move, even if you waited 11 months to do so. It's what the warranty is for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

loudog999 posted:

Will Apple continue to sell the 4th gen iPad new on their site once the new one goes up? If so, based on past releases, do we have any idea what the price may be? My iPad 3 is still hanging in there, mostly because I only surf and read comics/kindle books on it but a $300 upgrade would be worth it just to get all of my devices back on the same charging cables.
I would be surprised if they continue to sell new ones, but refurbs should be available for awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

One month to exchange it if a new one comes out
From an Apple Store, yes. Other retailers have different return policies. 14 days is not uncommon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPad with rounded screen!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can thumb type with the full keyboard on my iPad, but the split keyboard is much nicer for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple added official support for game controllers to iOS 7, but I don't think any hardware has been announced, and developers would have to update their games to take advantage of it, I would think. That said, there's a handful of controllers out there using some proprietary standards that some games support. You'd have to look up specific games and controllers, but at this point, I'd wait it out to see if more standard ones pop up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My main use of my iPad 3 is reading comics. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that screen size, though if I get an Air (and I'm leaning towards not upgrading until they stop updating the 3 - so next year), it will be a lower storage and wifi only version than what I have now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nrr posted:

So on the Apple website, they say the iPad Air is twice as fast as "it's predecessor," and then when you go to the compare specs page, they only have the Air and the iPad 2. There's no 4th gen iPad. So is "twice as fast" referring to the 4th gen or the iPad 2?
The 4th gen. It's WAY more than twice as fast as the iPad 2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Incidentally, they're not doing pre-orders at all for it in the UK, are they? What time on 1st November are they likely to release website orders? As much as I want one, taking a day off work to queue outside the Apple Store in Belfast seems a little silly.
Orders usually open at midnight local except in the US where it is midnight Pacific time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

It controls which SIM comes with the device I believe. You can swap the SIM for most carriers, although I think Verizon also requires the IMEI to be one of theirs, so you wouldn't be able to take an AT&T iPad and move it to Verizon in the US.
This could be interesting, actually. Apple's website doesn't list separate carrier versions of the new iPads since they're likely using the same radios as the 5s. Verizon's 700 MHz LTE network is supposed to allow open access to arbitrary devices, although Nexus 7 owners ran into problems with it. I'm curious to see if having iPads trying to the same will make Verizon budge.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get a 4. The 3 is pretty far outdated and the mini was outdated the day it was released.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Did they do in-store reservations for the iPad 4? I want to just use the apple store app at midnight on Thursday and go in at noon on Friday and pick up a 32gb air.
They didn't for the 5s until a few weeks out, I doubt they will for the new iPads.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bulbous nub posted:

Pretty sure the 5C is white with a black bezel.
All 5C's have a black bezel, so yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should be able to just swap the SIM into the new one, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mongol posted:

I got the unlimited plan when I bought my iPad 1. When I bought my iPad 3, all they did was swap it over. The iPad 1 v 3 used different SIMs, and they were able to switch SIMs at the Apple Store and keep my plan. That was my biggest concern when I got my new iPad.
Ah, I forgot about SIM sizes. The iPad 3 uses micro-SIM and the Air uses nano-SIM. Still, this can be solved by either cutting the micro-SIM to size or going to an AT&T or Apple store and switching the SIM associated with your account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On anything remotely modern, cutting the SIM should be fine if you're careful. Worst case, you have to go to the store, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insidious posted:

As a first time iPad buyer, is it worth getting the higher storage iPads? I'm thinking about the 32GB because my 16GB Nexus 4 has felt limiting to me at certain times. Then again, with so many streaming services, is anything over 32GB overkill?

It *really* depends on what you plan to do with it, but my current iPad 3 is 64 GB and I don't think I've ever come close to hitting that since I rarely watch movies on it and those are the biggest space eaters. I'm right now considering a 32 GB. I would probably not get 16 GB, myself, but if you don't intend to play games on it, it'll probably still be fine.

EDIT: Also remember they have a 30 day return policy so if you decide in that time you want more or less, you can always take it back.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 1, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spaceship posted:

Me too. Also in Austin! I think I was done at like 8:15.

I don't know how I feel about the new screen. It feels...different.

It's also lagging like some kind of awful android thing, but that may be because i'm syncing right now.

sleepness posted:

I am noticing some lag too, very similar to my iPad 3rd gen which had major keyboard issues.
Give it a little time. Spotlight needs time to index it, which will definitely slow things down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

supersteve posted:

I placed an order at midnight for pickup and it's still at processing. I'm going to the apple store during my lunch to pick it up in a few hours.

Are they not going to give me it if I'm still on processing?
The emails I got said not to come until they say it's ready. Weird that it's still processing. I put my order in at 9:17 AM and got notification at 11:50 that it was ready.

If you go there and it's not ready yet, there might be one there you can buy and just cancel the pickup order.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

melon cat posted:

Alright, it's decided. I'm going to buy the iPad 4th Gen with retina display.

... but I've never done this before. What's the best way to go about buying it? Order it online? Head to a brick and mortar store during the non-chaotic hours? I feel so out of touch. You kids and your newfangled technology books.

But, yeah. Help?
Apple Stores won't be stocking them anymore. Your local Best Buys and Targets might still have some in stock, however. Alternatively, the online Apple Store should have some refurbs available, which are well worth buying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Jeez, is anyone NOT extremely positive about their new iPad Air? The OG mini had its fair share of complaints (screen and interface complaints mostly), but I don't think I've seen anything consistently complained about regarding the Air. Fuckers need to get here soon.
I may have made a mistake getting 32 gb after years of 64 gb. That's all though! I bought Infinity Blade 3 and I didn't have space with the same apps I had on my 3 installed and almost no media.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, honestly, if it wasn't that my top iPad use was comics reading, I would wait out for a retina mini. That said, the Air is a huge improvement over my The new iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh! I also like the new Smart Cover less than the previous design. The four-panel design seemed to be a bit better in my opinion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withak posted:

With three panels it can't fold into a stand, right? That sounds way worse then the previous smart covers.
Actually, it's better at that. On my iPad 3, you could fold into a triangle, but to keep it standing up, you had to have the felt on the outside of the stand. The new Smart Cover has it so the outside of the cover is on the outside of the stand, which makes way more sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No. 6 posted:

On the iPads with cellular, does the carrier choice impact anything besides the SIM card that comes with the device? All previous iPads have been carrier unlocked, just want to make sure I know what I'm buying before I order.
Only Verizon and Sprint models can work on Verizon and Sprint, respectively, as far as we know due to CDMA lock-in, but they are all GSM and LTE unlocked and SIM cards can be swapped without a problem. I'm fairly certain they all have the same bands for everything, as well. At this point, there's no good reason to NOT buy a Verizon one. (There are still plenty of reasons to not get a Sprint one.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Thanks for the information so far. Question, if I buy a T-mobile iPad Air how does Sprint or Verizon handle customers who want to switch?
I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you are asking if you can use a T-Mobile iPad Air on Sprint or Verizon, I wouldn't put any money on it at this point. Verizon technically has to offer open access to their LTE network, but in practice, it hasn't worked out so well. Sprint has no such requirement and doesn't have to allow any devices on they don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoasterMaster posted:

I know that the iPad Air's LTE radio is unlocked in the US. I want to try that sweet sweet T-Mobile deal of free 200mb of data a month but I'm curious how that works if I buy an AT&T iPad. Can I still get a hold of a T-Mobile SIM, put it in the device, and then sign up on the on-device signup form or is it something more complicated?
If you're not buying from T-Mobile, buy a Verizon model, as it gives you access to Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. AT&T and T-Mobile models will *probably* only give you access to those two carriers.