Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Is it worth upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 7?

Ars did a review of iOS7 in the iPad 2: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/dont-let-me-down-apple-ios-7-on-the-ipad-2/

That said, they also said don't upgrade your OS on your iPhone4 and I don't think its that bad on the iPhone4 so there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tacier posted:

I'm sure many people use their iPads differently and it's totally legitimate that they might want Touch ID for any number of reasons, I'm just genuinely surprised that so many people seem to be disgruntled about its absence.

It's a laziness convenience thing. I'm so used to it on my 5S, that I keep expecting to unlock my ipad mini that way.

That said, I'm just using it as an excuse to not upgrade my iPad mini so quickly. The Retina screen would be nice but if I wait till next year it'll have touch ID too!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TheCrushinator posted:

A very good deal for the older iPad Mini 64gb has cropped up online (£130 off making it £300) I know this is the older A5 chip model, but I am considering getting my wife this so she stops stealing my Air. All she really does is use it for keeping recipes on, a few organisational apps and apps that arent available on Android, and watching tv/films when we've been on holiday.

I know the older model is more than adequate for this, but i've heard there are issues with iOS 7 on the older A5 chip models of various iPads. Do any goons know of these or have experienced them? if they have is it related to a single app or just the experience in general? Is this worth it, or would I be better off getting a smaller capacity (read 16gb) Mini with Retina Display to future proof to some degree?

As an alternative, I considered the iPod Touch, but I think the size of the screen is counter intuitive to what she uses it for.

iOS 7 runs fine on the first iPad mini. I have no issues whatsoever.

That said, if you're getting an iPad mini now, the retina is a better choice. The screen is a vast improvement and the processor will ensure the retina mini remains more future proof than the original mini.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

caboodle posted:

If I was Apple I would not include multi-user accounts. I want more people to buy iPads, not less.
Hardware is where I make my money.

Makes sense from a work standpoint. Its the one thing Blackberry got right: There's a work part of the phone and a home part of the phone. You can go work somewhere else without losing the home part of your phone. I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that enterprise setup on iPhone requires your work's IT dept to be able to wipe the entire phone if you leave.

Then again, Apple has never seemed all that serious about Enterprise solutions, they could take it if they wanted it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Oh! Does the the mini get as hot as the ipad3/iphone5S when using the wireless?

And is the battery life on a mini much better? as I've found my ipad's battery it's really draining fast these days.

I can't speak for the Retina mini but my OG mini never gets hot using wifi.

The battery life on my OG mini has decreased a bit, I think but not enough to send me scrambling to a fruit stand. I'll be at 50 - 60% after a lazy Sunday morning of browsing the internet, and SA, 4-5 hours.

Probably replacing it this year with a new mini if they add the fingerprint sensor (I know...but those with a 5S understand) so I can also hop on the Retina bandwagon. Also hoping for more RAM.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Well, I'm going to take the plunge on iOS8 on my original iPad mini. Hope it doesn't break it too much!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

It's a little jittery when going into multitasking but otherwise just the fact that Safari minimizes when scrolling (almost like the iPhone but not quite!) and the predictive typing are worth it.

Haven't played with the other features yet.

iBooks and podcasts go straight into the "never use" folder.

It's no iOS 7 on the iPhone4, that's for sure.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tacier posted:

I'm just praying the 2GB RAM rumor is true. I can't wait to live in a world where my browser tabs aren't constantly refreshing.

I'm hoping it's for the new mini as well. Probably not though. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

wooger posted:

Same resolution, no way the internals differ at all other than from maybe a little CPU clock difference for cooling.

Bummer about the internal specs.

Ah well, coming from an OG mini, the screen, touchID and the huge processor spec bump will be nice.

I'll finalize my decision when I see how 8.1 performs on Monday.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Has anyone noticed issues with the multitask gestures in ios 8? They seem to be somewhat intermittent on my retina mini and I can't tell if it's a software thing or if my digitizer is going a bit bad...

I've noticed they're a bit less responsive? But that's probably cause I'm on 8.02 and using an original wifi mini.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Took advantage of lower prices to upgrade from an OG mini to Retina. I don't know how I lived with the non-Retina screen.

Question though, I noticed it comes with a new charger. With my original mini, the charger was the same as my iPhone charger and charged fine. This one looks like a smaller version of the old iPod charger.

Can I still use the iPhone charger? It looks like it works, I assume it just charges slower?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did you have to give them anything other than the iPad itself? I was thinking about snagging an Air 2 from Best Buy since I have some gift cards, but didn't consider trading my iPad 4 in there. What's the process like?

When I traded in my mini, to get the maximum price, I needed to include the charger and cable. I gave em the charger, cable and ipad all in the box.

Guy opened the box, flicked it on to make sure I'd wiped it and disabled the icloud lock, gave it a quick look over. Sign two things saying I gave over the ipad for moneys, they activated the gift card. Walk over to the Apple dept and bought my iPad. Totally painless, way less worry than going through Kijiji.

EDIT: They were totally out of iPad Air 2's, but I played with the one on display. Holy hell, I was definitely tempted until I found out they were out of stock. Those things are so thin! Thinner than the mini's now.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 26, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Does the best buy trade in deal take OG iPad 1's? (Even at a reduced rate) I've got one kicking around I need to get rid of.

I'm Canadian and we don't get that 200 bux deal. That said, I still got 170 CAD for my 32 gig original mini. Like I said, beats dealing with the local Kijijii.

Edit: Not all BB do trade ins (in Canada at least...) so check beforehand.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

HortonNash posted:

What's the rationale for doing it?

Best Buy falling under pawn shop laws in whatever state we're talking about.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I would struggle to pay $100 for a touch ID alone, but I have to tell you: the touch ID on my Air 2 has been a game changer for me. 1Password is a dream to use.

I went from an original mini to mini 3. The hardware is still a huge upgrade from the original mini. Plus, I really wanted touchID. :(

Also Bestbuy was out of Air2's and not getting more in for a month.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

Tell people you know, that if they drill a hole in the right spot the signal will leave the case and Apple pay will magically work. Apple is just trying to screw them over by forcing them to buy an iPhone with some silly antenna. On second thought, don't tell anyone that.

Reminds me of the "microwave your phone to charge faster" and "iOS7 makes your phone waterproof" jokes.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the side by side split-pane thing is the only thing not on the iPad Air 1.

I think the full side by side thing is the only feature that's completely restricted to the Air 2.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see picture in picture video on the mini 1/older iPads.

Sidebar stuff looks really really cool though. Is it available to developers from the get go or is it Apple apps only? Pokeyman better get on making awful.app working. :argh:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 8, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lichy posted:

Just to clarify previous post by lack of memory I meant lack of RAM.

The extra 500MB of RAM does make a difference but what you're describing with lag and crashes doesn't sound right. I'd do what the poster above me suggested and try another reader.

I never had problems with PnP RPG books (textbook sized for nerds :haw:) on my OG mini in Adobe Acrobat reader. Adobe has definitely changed the app since then, it might be worse now on older iPads?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

iOS 9 I believe.

I want to believe, but unwanted App Store redirects were supposed to go away in iOS8. At this point, it's an arms race. The scummy advertisers will always find a way around it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Supgaiz posted:

iOS 9 will allow for ad blockers in Safari. They'll have the advantage of being able to update against new ad exploits much more frequently than Apple can update Safari itself.

Probably won't allow us to block iAd's though! :haw:

I can tolerate banner ads but app-store redirects are the worst thing about browsing with Safari.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

It took two goddamn years but we're finally getting more than a 3x3 app grid in folders again. Not that a fixed 4x4 arrangement maximizes screen space either but it's a lot better than it was.

Ooh, screenshot?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MrBond posted:

IIRC on Desktop iTunes you have to do this weird thing of "moving" rentals from PC to the device. I suppose that's where iTunes is not any good at estimating space?

Licensing thing, I suppose. Annoying because this doesn't work in reverse.

I rented a movie on my iPad when I was on a business trip once and just never had time to watch it. Wanted to move it back to my PC to watch it (bigger screen) and you can't.

I always assume however, anything dumb to do with licensing and what you can/can't do with a file isn't Apple's fault: its the movie/music studios.

Why rentals can't just "be in the cloud" is baffling to me.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I'm getting "an error occurred" trying to download iOS 9 on my Air 2.

Apple servers are probably getting hammered.

Took a few tries with my iPhone and iPad, but it eventually went through and went smoothly.

I was on the GM, so there must have been some changes and tweaks for the final version.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Feenix posted:

I iOS9'd my iPad Air. Haven't done much with it yet but the tips app mentioned sliding from the right edge to bring in another app.

I did that and got like a vertical dock of app choices.

2 questions:

1 (the most important) Now whenever I swipe from the right, I don't get that sick of app tiles, I get Safari, the one I initially opened. How do I choose a •different• app from that picker?

2 Safari is this tiny little vertical bar (in portrait mode anyway) taking up like a third of the screen. I suppose the answer is: " only do it in landscape!" But it felt a little unusable.

1. See the horizontal bar at the top of the sidebar? Swipe down to get all the app tiles again. It seems to default to the last used app.

2. I see it being more useful for stuff like having iMessage open while using Safari, or having Notes open. Yeah, using Safari in the sidebar is kind of useless.

Also, why is Music not an available sidebar app? That seems like kind of a glaring omission.

EDIT:

Hmm...already noticing a potential problem with the sidebar-multitasking as apps have been updating for iOS9 over the course of the day...there's so many apps in there its going to become unmanageable to find the apps you DO want.

As far as I can tell, its an all or nothing proposition with the sidebar...its either off or on with every app that it supports in the list. Has anyone found if there's a way to disable on an app by app basis the apps that appear in the sidebar? I can't find anything in settings.

Really all I'd use would be Trillian (not supported yet), iMessage, Notes and Music.

Settings > General > Multitasking > Show in-sidebar > <List of Apps supported by sidebar> would be perfect.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 17, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure Apple's going to adopt a tick-tock update to the iPad line (maybe a tick-tock-tack???) based off of the fact that people hold on to tablets so long.

The Air will likely see an update next year, the mini after that.

God knows what they're going to do with the pro-line. That might mess up everything.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

How's iOS9 on the iPad mini 1? Not asking for myself but for my mum. She loves her iPad mini, and I'm hoping the only issue she'll see is a bit of slowness for a day or two while Spotlight re-indexes. :ohdear:

She hasn't updated yet, but she's very good at updating the moment the notification pops up on the settings icon.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

What is the thing that shows up in ios9 when i swipe from the right, and is there a way to disable it?

The multitasking menu?

Settings > General > Multitasking > Allow Multiple Apps

I should mention also, swiping from the right is a bit different now: swipe from the top or bottom of the right side and it performs whatever action it did before (ie Safari forward). Only the middle of the right side brings up the multitasking menu.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Thanks. What is it meant to do? I keep getting it when I try to swipe "forward"

It allows you to pop up a micro-version of an app (say, Messages) while you're in another app (say, Safari) so you can do two things at once. Multitasking!

It needs work though. The list of apps needs to be editable (it isn't) and its missing some basic iOS apps like Music. Its a start.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

9.0 has definitely pushed the Air 1 into showing-its-age territory. I imagine 10.0 will do that to the Air 2.

Just curious, cause the Mini 2/3 has the same specs, and to be honest, its running better than ever.

The big lynchpin I've always noticed is Safari performance, but with all the awesome adblock'n going on, my mini is performing better than ever. I mean, I was able to watch a movie on Netflix and switch between IMDB and Wikipedia to look at stuff related to said movie without netflix needing to reload the whole thing.

IMDB is likely the bigger culprit...I hope

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

So I have an iPad mini 4, and the multitasking is great, but is there Amy way to pick what apps make the list? I know over time they end up near the top anyway, but I am just never going to use loving tips in my multitasking.

Nope!

Pretty huge oversight on Apple's part. It's only going to get worse as more apps add iOS9 functionality. The list sort of orders itself on last app used, though.

Maybe we'll get that functionality in iOS9.2? :shrug:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ManSedan posted:

Every now and again I'll lose my wifi connection on my mini 4. If I turn airplane mode on and then back off it reconnects immediately but if I try to reconnect under wifi settings it'll ask for my password over and over again no matter what sometimes. I got this thing about a week ago, is this something I could get an exchange for or is there any other fix?

Here's a dumb question, does it happen everywhere?

I thought I had a similar problem with my Macbook Pro (brand new, internet constantly dropping out and recovering).

Further checking revealed that the router was set to expire leased addresses every hour. Everyone else though the occasional website was timing out. I only noticed cause Apple Music does a piss poor job of recovering from a dropped connection.

Bumped up the lease time to 24 hours, problem disappeared (and my mom complained a lot less about netflix suddenly dropping. ;))

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Maybe this is more of an "iOS in general" question, but has anyone noticed that while using Purify, a lot of sites in Safari aren't loading properly anymore?

They either load no images (AV Club) or some but not then no more when scrolling (too many examples to count). I'm wondering if this is some larger step in the great ad-blocker arms race, or my Purify app has gone crazy.

I switched back to Crystal (turned off Purify), and everything seems better.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

Baby cracked my old rear end iPad 2 today, so I would like to order one today for Thursday's vacation. Not sure if we are going regular size or mini yet, but I wanted to check in. Air 1 vs 2? Mini 2 vs 3 vs 4? Any big things I need to know? Or just best deal on refurb store?

I can't comment on the full size iPads but as a mini fan:

2 = 3. Same guts and specs. The only difference is touchID on the 3.

The 4 has the same specs as an Air 2 and is thinner and lighter than the mini 2/3.

I have a mini 3 and it's still good but man, the 2gb of RAM in the 4 would be nice. Get a mini 4.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

jeeves posted:

This is probably why it was gifted to her, even if it probably was not malicious (stolen/etc). The story is that some family member just has no more idea of that email anymore.

I am simply amazed how more people don't use something like Keepass to just write down every password you use ever.

I'm simply amazed at how many people treat the appleID like its some throwaway account and forget the password or tie it to some email account they never use. :psyduck:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oryp posted:

Can anyone comment on the iPad mini 2 in terms of how much longer it will be relatively useable? Are there any issues with OS support or do they start getting really slow?

I am mainly interested in using it for reading comics from Amazon, maybe some games and browsing, and streaming netflix. The game I'd most like to play well on it would be FFRK, if anyone has one and plays the game.

I'm using a mini 3 (same specs as the 2, just with Touch ID) and I still find it very useable. Occasional frame drops but otherwise it's good. No idea how much longer it's going to be supported, it is getting iOS 11.

For all the above activities, it's fine. Some games have slow initial load times (nothing dramatic) but once they're up they're smooth. The biggest thing one would probably notice is app reloads if using the app switcher a lot. Also the mini 2/3 doesn't get the full split screen stuff the other iPads got in iOS 10, it does get that weird sidebar thing. Oh, occasionally websites may struggle, usually infinite scroll ones.

Oh, it does support an ad blocker, so that's a huge plus for browsing.

I hope the mini line hasn't been dropped, it really is the perfect iPad form factor.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 18, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

iPad iOS11 question: Anyone figured out how to close sidebar apps?

I have a mini 3, so I don't have "true" split screen multitasking like the newer iPads. I figured out how to open a sidebar app but I can't figure out how to close it outside of sweeping it off the screen (which doesn't seem to close it?

Dragging down the "_" at the top just makes the icon fade in but it just snaps back.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Slide right from the left edge of the sidebar?

Oh, oops, never mind.

Figured it out.

On the Mini 2/3, you can keep one sidebar app in-memory, to replace you just drag an app from the dock to the side. The "_" thing is a lie, you can just switch what side the app is on but I assume on a more powerful iPad, its how you do full split screen multitasking.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

We should be happy Apple didn't abandon the low end tablet market altogether.

Where's my iPad mini 5? :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Grain of salt and all but Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims there's a new iPad mini coming next week.

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Something I am most excited for, is being able to draw on your iPad and have it show on your Mac. Much like you're using a Wacom (but probably not nearly as advance). I have iPad OS installed now, but it sounds like we have to wait for Catalina, next month, in order to use this feature?

Correct, gotta wait for Catalina.