Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

dhn posted:

How is your WLAN connection? Safari tries to play the GIF as soon as the first frames are available. For large GIFs with large keyframes this can mean a lot of stuttering if the connection can not keep up with the frame size. Do GIFs play smooth once they are fully loaded (as in the first repeat)?

There were a lot of issues with GIFs in the early iOS days. But that is long in the past.

I don't think I've ever had one run at full speed on my iPad 3, or 2 or 1 before that... I have no idea how they run on my iPhones, I don't really browse images on my phone much. But go to a tumblr page with gifs and my iPad has always poo poo the bed. Hell, just one animated gif alone on a page wont run at full speed. It's possible they work fine now on an iPad 4, I have no idea. But they sure as poo poo do not on an iPad 3. Being as this has always been a problem for me and I've heard lots of people say the same I doubt it's just me. It kinda drives me nuts. OSX use to have huge issues with animated gifs too. I've concluded Apple hates animated gifs and wants to punish anyone who looks at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Why did they ruin the smart covers?! I'm really way more bummed than I should be about this. I've had the smart cover since the iPad 2 came out and I goddamned loved folding it in half and using it as a grip. With the iPad Air I constantly feel like it's going to slip out of my hands. I'm seriously half tempted to return the iPad and go back to my 3, but my girlfriend would kill me as I already gave it to her. The "smart case" is just as bad as the smart case for the iPad 2/3/4, just now in leather. I used mine for all of 5 minutes and hated it so it's getting returned today. Guess I'm going to deal with the 3-panel smart cover and just hate life. Maybe I'll get use to it eventually? I just hate the idea of holding onto the felt constantly.

I feel like such a baby complaining about this stuff, but it's seriously weird after being so use to the old cover. It was perfect!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CaptainCrunch posted:

I love everything about my new air. However they apparently didn't put any ram in there because the drat thing can't keep two webpages of text loaded at the same time in safari. >:/
All the time reloading and refreshing.

Yeah… Why the hell did they cheap out on the RAM? It seems like it has to reload pages more than my 3 did. It's much faster reloading them, but still, uhg. It's the only time I notice the RAM "problem", but it's a pretty big deal as I use the thing for web browsing a lot.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nihiliste posted:

Chrome works reasonably well. Remember, though, that every iOS browser has the Safari engine underneath, by Apple mandate.

Chrome crashes for me seriously every day. (I still use it because I apparently hate myself)

That being said, it does save all your tabs when it crashes so it isn't a HUGE DEAL. More slightly annoying.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
The old hinge was also better. The old Smart Cover was just better period. Folded in half on itself was THE poo poo. I miss it. :'(

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lexicon posted:

I think it's pretty decent :confused:

Do you do any formatting in Excel? Or just a plain rear end sheet with data in it? It makes a lot of spreadsheets I make look completely broken. That's enough for me, I haven't even checked if it works with formulas I use. Not to mention VBA macros.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lexicon posted:

I'm not taking about Excel compatibility (so that rules out VBA of course) - I just mean it functions well for my needs as a spreadsheeting tool. All bets are off once you start dealing with xls/xlsx files.

Oh, then yeah, I agree. If you aren't doing anything nutty it's more than adequate for most people.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Lexicon posted:

Really? I don't see how that's possible. It's a far bigger, more awkward device with much greater travel per keystroke.

I do the same on full-sized iPads and type faster than on my iPhone… Way less errors too.

Perhaps people have different sized hands.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

80k posted:

Just got an iPad Air 2, and really liking it. I do notice a pretty persistent bug though. Sometimes, coming out of sleep, when I hit the home button, the rotation is stuck in either vertical or horizontal, and the auto rotate doesn't work. A look at the control panel shows the rotation has not been locked, so that is not the issue. A quick sleep and wake will solve it. I am on version 8.4.

Another weird issue that happened once, but I was not able to re-create it, was even more troubling. I was on a website, and some audio came out from an ad, and all of a sudden the sound turned into a very weird buzzing/static sound. It wasn't a pop, so much as a study loud buzz. I close the browser, the sound stopped, and it pretty much made sound stop working on my iPad. There was no sound when playing YouTube, nor playing music, or anything. And I checked to make sure sound was not muted in the control panel. I had to restart the iPad, and everything works fine now.

Anyone one ever encounter these bugs? I have owned previous generation iPads. My iPad 3 had occassional pops in the sound, but it never made all system sound stop working. I have had the rotation issue happen on my Mini, so I am guessing it is a software bug. Just curious if others have had anything like this.

The rotation thing happens to me, I just toggle the lock on/off really quick and it fixes it. I'm still on an original Air though, so I have the switch that I can physically control that with super quickly. Sleep/wake is probably quicker than pulling up the quick settings menu thing to lock/unlock rotation.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Martytoof posted:

I've been using my iPad at my bedside with "Hey Siri" enabled -- it's awesome for bed stuff. Not a notable post but I just have to ask --

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who instinctively thanks Siri after giving "her" a command.

I thank Siri even though I don't have the mic on for her to hear me. Some people are just "polite". I feel stupid doing it, but still do it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

[...]I haven't seen many people break out an air and watch movies during my plane trips, so I am a bit concerned that maybe it would end up being too big and cumbersome for that sort of thing? Thanks!

Huh? I've used an iPad on plane trips since they've been a thing. And I've seen shitloads of other people doing so too. I don't know how it could possibly be too large for any plane. Hell, years ago I use to use a 15" laptop on flights and only ever had trouble if the person in front of me reclined. I really don't see how a full-size iPad could possibly ever be a problem for anyone on any flight.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I've had a smart cover since the original version of it. I've used it as a stand nearly daily as long as that. I've literally never had it fall over unless I like smack it or pull on the power cord by accident or something. I seriously have no idea what in the gently caress other people are doing "wrong". While I don't like the current 3-panel smart cover as much as the old 4-panel one, it's still perfectly serviceable.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

wooger posted:

i guess the answer here is "touching the iPad".

It is not strong enough to touch, swipe or generally use for most purposes the upright orientation.
It is at too low and angle, and still not solid enough in the typing orientation.

Other stands actually hold the ipad at a useful angle, and allow you to perform any action including pressing the home button without it falling over.

I can't think of a situation where I would want to use it for more than watching a video standing up, which I've never had a problem selecting an app, video, playing it, pausing it. It's entirely possible I'm weird. It works completely fine pressing any buttons as hard as you want if you have it on the low angle either way though.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

dorkimoe posted:

AirVideoHD is amazing too for streaming from PC to ipad. You can also download over the wifi to your device and have it for offline playback.

AirVideoHD is the poo poo. It's simple as hell to use. No "setup". No managing filenames or any bullshit. Rad city. Works well over internet too.

It does require SERVER SOFTWARE, but whatever.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Aphrodite posted:

You can fold the new covers with either side facing out.

Not to use it as a stand... It will fall over if you breathe on it with the smooth side out.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Well, I have an iPad Air with a cracked screen. Been waiting a few months for this announcement to replace it with a 9.7" Pro. Turns out they talked me into a 13". I didn't want a tablet this big, but them halving the RAM talked me into it. I can get it for $807 from Target which is a whole $58 more than the 128GB 9.7". I WAITED FOR NOTHING. WOE IS ME.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ddogflex posted:

Well, I have an iPad Air with a cracked screen. Been waiting a few months for this announcement to replace it with a 9.7" Pro. Turns out they talked me into a 13". I didn't want a tablet this big, but them halving the RAM talked me into it. I can get it for $807 from Target which is a whole $58 more than the 128GB 9.7". I WAITED FOR NOTHING. WOE IS ME.

Picked it up on my lunch break. It's not heavy at all, it's loving gigantic though. Probably a good thing more than a bad thing, I really just use my iPad at home or when traveling.

I tried to get Applecare (Apple Store is just down the street from Target), but they didn't show it as "sold" yet. Anyone had that come up before? I wonder how long I should wait to go back... I didn't realize they sold Applecare at Target until after I left. Oops.

Also, the three panel smart cover is pretty comical this large. Why cant we have the 4 panels again? :cry:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

App13 posted:

How does everyone keep their iPad screen clean? I use a pro for work and school (geologist) and after an hour my screen gets pretty blotchy with finger prints etc.

Turn up the brightness. Then you just won't even notice unless in direct sunlight.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I realize I'm like 5 months late on this, but after having the 13" Pro for a weekend, I don't think I'll be able to go back to a 10". At first I thought it was too big, and it does suck using apps that aren't designed for the 13" screen, but anything that is updated is loving fantastic. (Hopefully this doesn't end up a weird orphaned resolution.) It's the same feeling I got using peoples' iPhone 6+ using iPhone 5 resolution apps. Just web browsing is much nicer. Side by side apps are awesome. The whole thing is glorious. I like to doodle, so I bought the pencil to try out. It's great too, I've actually been drawing more than anything. The speakers are better than I expected even though they advertise they're good, I just found it hard to believe. This is all beyond the fact it's incredibly faster than my Air, and the main reason I wanted a bigger one for years, watching TV/Movies. I think I'm sold.

One huge complaint though: why the gently caress doesn't it have a split keyboard option?? I didn't use split on the Air, but it's hard to thumb type at this size. Not the end of the world, but a definite glaring negative.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Xabi posted:

What, isn't the iPad Pro 9.7 meant to be an Air 3 in all but name? I thought so but apparently it isn't? Why's that?

I think it is and people are just wanting to believe an Air 3 will come out for no real reason. The only downside to the 9.7" pro is that it's $100 more than the previous going rate for 9.7" iPads.

BottleKnight posted:

I mean at some point it doesn't really matter. It's literally the features of the Pro put into the Air 2. It has the Pro's pricing model though, which I imagine is the biggest consideration in the skew.

How is it following to Pro's pricing model? Because it's not $499? It's closer to Air 2 price than 13" Pro price.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2016

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

13 inch Pro 32GB on sale for a mere $640:

http://deals.ebay.com/5002870328_Ap...9999&rmvSB=true

such a better deal than the 10 inch Pro.

God. drat.

All these sales on 13" Pros is scaring me that they haven't sold for poo poo and the resolution/size is going to be abandoned. Because I'm paranoid. It's already annoying how many apps are blown up bullshit on the 13 and it's been out like 6 months.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

milkaxor posted:

No way they abandon that size.

It's more a back of my head thing. I don't really think they are. The lack of developer support kind of sucks though. I mean, poo poo, even Facebook is unusable on the 13. They can't add a loving resolution? I don't even care if it uses the space better, I just don't want JUMBO text and JUMBO keyboard.

After having the 13 for a month or so I cannot see myself going back. I didn't restore the 13 from a backup so I'm still playing a game or two on my old Air occasionally and it feels comically small now.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Or call up the card issuer you used to purchase it and they'll give you the difference back. Most decent cards have price protection these days.

Where they will price match other retailers? I only know of it where they will match if the price changes where you bought it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Biodome posted:

Actually, if you follow any of the deals sites like 9to5toys, pretty much all of Apple's poo poo goes on sale from small regional websites or sellers on eBay all the time. I already saw sales for the 2016 MacBook for $100 off and AppleCare+ from like Appleinsider. If you can find a good deal on the big pro, jump on it.

The Pro has been on sale at like Target and Best Buy though. I got a 128GB 13" for $807 from Target right after the 9.7" announcement. This isn't normal for Apple products. Not that I'm complaining.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

FordPRefectLL posted:

it's justjeff88 just click the link in his custom text and it'll all make sense

ha!

so that's what started the rental chain thing. man. what a goon.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Housh posted:

Be extra cautious with Amazon marketplace. It ain't like it used to be.

So now you get non-counterfeit items? Cool!

(Got knock-off phone batteries off Amazon marketplace yeeeears ago.)

That being said, if it's shipped by Amazon anyway, Amazon will stand by it. Easy refund, etc.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Feenix posted:

Shipped by Amazon? Yes. Shipped by a vendor using Amazon? Not always a good experience...

Right. That's what I said in the post you quoted. "shipped by Amazon"

Buying from anything else is basically eBay. gently caress that noise.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
HBO finally update their apps for the 13" Pro. I'm shocked.

I wish other apps would update. Goddamnit. It's been like 9 months.

Also, why can't they add a loving split keyboard? Typing on the full size one with my thumbs is a bit of a stretch on this and I'm still not use to it after months and months. I never used split on the 10" because it was so small already. It seems like the exact opposite of what would be reasonable.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 30, 2016

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

the panacea posted:

I like my iPad Pro but it is an expensive gadget and still very much limited in terms of its capabilities if you compare it to a laptop. Even if apple wants to make you believe otherwise.

To be honest I sometimes wonder if a Surface Pro would've been a safer choice.

Have you used a Surface Pro?

A Surface is an ok computer and a kinda bad tablet. You'll find yourself just using it like a laptop and it's expensive/a lovely form factor for a laptop. Windows is a mess for high-DPI. Some things will look normal, some things will be loving TINY. Navigation is a pain in the rear end with touch. Those are the main bads. I still often wish I had a real computer instead of an iPad then remind myself what it was like actually using it. Everything is a trade-off.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

eddiewalker posted:

I'm going to need a Pencil to draw more anatomically correct dicks with Digital Touch

That's literally the first thing I did after loading iOS 10 on my Pro. I'm terrible.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

rio posted:

One thing that dropped dramatically when I got the pro was playing games. It is just too large for me to game comfortably with it - at least anything that requires two hands. I used to game on my Air and iPad 2 but now I rarely do on the pro and then if I want to play an iOS game I'll do it on my phone. Just something to consider when you are looking at the two sizes. For everything else, though, I definitely prefer the 12.9" pro and am glad I got it (I didn't really have a choice since I had to get the big one - the whole reason I was pumped to get the pro was so that I could look at printed music the same size it would be printed on a piece of paper)

Same. I love it for everything except games. And for games, well, I just use my phone now. I sure hope the 13" sticks around because I can't imagine going back to a 10" now.

Only thing I wish the 13 had was a split keyboard. Why the gently caress is it disabled on the only device it would be useful on?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely the best iOS device until the next big pro drops.

It makes me wonder how I was cool with the 9.7 for so many years. I love the 12.9 so hard. I just wish some apps would update (wtf Facebook) to support the higher res screen. It's been a year and a half, goddamn.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Taima posted:

Somehow my Pro 12.9 has insane durability as well. I have dropped it sooooooo many times, and I use it without a case. It has numerous dents in the side (all of which are small, the metal must be pretty tough). But somehow it still works like a champ and the actual screen glass is immaculate.

Of course now after saying this, I will break the screen tomorrow.

I've also dropped my without-a-case 12.9 god-knows-how-many times. Like. A lot of times. And it has a couple dents and that's the extent of it. I don't know how it's so loving durable. I'm a dude who's broke 3 iPads previously. My Applecare+ is going to be a waste!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

qirex posted:

It's not possible to pre-order for store pickup, is it?

I did that with the first Air and it was the biggest mistake ever. I had to wait in line so loving long. Just get it shipped to you if that's an option.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Decius posted:

I find the 9.7 bezels already borderline small, I want to be able to hold the tablet without having phantom presses and swipes the whole time, especially with all the new gestures iOS 11 ads.

Apropos iOS 11, I find the sound output switching a clear step back in the beta. Before it was a swipe up and a press to change from external bluetooth to internal iPad speakers (maybe another swipe if you had the wrong CC page open). Now it is a finicky swipe, a long press, another press and then the final selection press.

I cannot think of a time I've ever had a phantom press or swipe from the bezels being too small. I hold my iPad with my thumb kinda on the screen too. How often does this happen for you?

The only time I get phantom touches is when I'm using the pencil and am moving my hand around all over the screen, then sometimes I get a little mark on a drawing app. But even that is fairly rare.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

sleepwalkers posted:

I'm really unsure why it's so meaningful as to feel insulted by the iPad lineup.
The iPad Air 2 was $600 at launch and was the "high-end" iPad model. The iPad Pro 9.7" launched at $600 and was the high-end model. The iPad 10.5" is launching at $650 and is now the high-end model. It's not that they're "withholding" features from the non-Pro models, it's that the flagship iPads have gained a bunch of new stuff for a similar price.

But I want all the things and for free.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Thwomp posted:

Ars has their review out of the new 10.5".

Basically, whenever iOS 11 arrives, the new Pros will make the strongest case yet for replacing a laptop so long as your use case doesn't involve coding and video/audio editing. Their biggest gripe is that iOS 11 isn't out now to really show off the power/versatility of the Pros.

They noted specifically that the A10X Fusion chips perform better than the Intel CPUs of Macbooks, and if not best at least match, the performance of the base model Macbook Pro. Pretty impressive stuff.

Depending on what you're coding, they're perfectly adequate for that too.

The one thing I still wish an iPad had is the ability to use a loving mouse. Just for RDP. It would make it the perfect computer for me. Back on my old iPad 2 I had it jailbroken and used a magic mouse. It was awesome.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

The screen resolution is larger, so yeah, it probably needs an update to fit.

Facebook will get around to in like six months or so.

They haven't in a year and a half on the 12.9.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Barry posted:

Wait, the base model iPad still doesn't have stereo speakers? That's been driving me nuts on my iPad 3 for 5 years.

Nope. Pro-only feature (lol).

I didn't think I'd care, but I kinda love it on my 12.9. I use it a lot without headphones now, and I never use to really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

The latest iOS 11 Beta re-adds swipe to close apps.

That's been insanely annoying. Thank you lord Tim.