Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So there's this recent trend in sailboats to use iPads as remote interfaces for the navigational systems on boats. It works really well, and has pretty low requirements so it's not strictly necessary to use the latest and greatest iPad, the most important thing is to get a waterproof LifeProof case for it

Click to embiggen

So option 1 is buy an iPad air from 3-4 years ago, but those still use the legacy lightning connectors, and nothing else on the boat uses lightning, plus investing in that ecosystem at this point seems fruitless

Is there a normal size iPad that has USB-C that is a couple years old? I know the mega size iPad pro has USB-C but it's too big for flopping about in the cockpit untethered, 7-10 inches is ideal

Also what's the best place to go find refurbished iPads these days? I've tried swappa and eBay in the past but not for Apple products

I guess basically, what's the cheapest way to buy a USB-C iPad these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple just released a new iPad Air and Mini that use lightning.

So really, unless you want to pay $800-1000 for an iPad just for USB-C

Do all iPad pros have USB-C? For example this one is refurbished and listed at $290 but nobody's websites tell you which charging standard they use

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...h4aAmX5EALw_wcB

If I can get a refurbished iPad pro with USB-C for under $500 then that is probably ideal as the iPads have the best waterproof cases

Really not interested in putting lightning on the boat, we are equipped for one standard, everything else on the boat uses USB-C including all the crew's cell phones

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not really sure what the issue is with using the lightning cables?

All my phones, laptops (work and personal), game consoles, headphones etc use USB-C. I don't have any micro USB or proprietary laptop chargers floating around the house anymore, it's fantastic. Everything is just a USB-C PD charger now and everything can charge off of anything, no questions asked. I don't want to go back to multi cable hell, I just left. I'm especially not going to go back to join Apple's walled hardware garden

The iPad looked like a good option because it was going to support USB-C but as someone pointed out, Apple released their consumer grade iPads and they still use the old lightning connector, so that's a non starter.

Anyways, not going to worry about it now, I'll keep an eye on refurbished prices and just use my phone for now, thanks guys

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's no way to use a mouse,

robin-williams-what-year-is-it.gif

I had a mouse cursor on my 2013 era Nexus 5 using a $30 adapter

Not that I've ever used it, but not supporting standard HID devices in this era, especially being designed in northern California, makes it super non ADA compliant

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's just loving weird that in 2019 we have a tablet that does display mirroring and supports bluetooth keyboards and bluetooth headsets, but Apple at this point has to be intentionally gimping USB/bluetooth mouse support for some hair brained reason. You guys keep saying the iPad pro is the best laptop Apple makes, and then turn around and say "but why would you want a mouse when you have a touchscreen tablet?" I mean this is the company that invented the mouse first OS, even in OSX there are still a lot of simple things like selecting ok/cancel buttons with the arrow keys and using space to confirm, that you can't do with Apple products, you need a mouse, but when someone suggests mouse support on one of Apple's products you treat them like a crazy person.

In other news I talked to some other sailors and they all said Android tablet hardware is still total crap and just skip trying to buy Android and get an iPad even if it means loving around with lightning connectors so I guess I'm going down that road under duress

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All these review sites keep reviewing these awful dongle type USB-C docks. One of the biggest problems with the dongles is that they have a fixed length, non replaceable cord. They're all garbage and most made by tiny companies to hit a very low price point, and that company won't exist next year when you need warranty repair.

Check out the ThinkPad USB-C Dock, it has all those ports, and you can use your own favored color/brand/length cord to hide the ugly thing in a drawer or filing cabinet, rather than attaching it like an ugly tumor to the side of it's head. I have the thunderbolt 3 version of this and it's loving fantastic with my MacBook pro.

Also the longer cable's weight is going to be ~50% supported by the table, rather than putting huge strain on the port.

I've yet to see any USB-C port fail yet, but if I were, it's because you were waving your iPad around with that tumor wrenching on it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just lol if you don’t have a lab grade caliper
with micrometer precision to check for bentness every night before you go to bed.

You pay $10 to post on an internet forum but you don't have $10 for a digital calliper? Let me guess do you just eyeball it when you pour pasta into the water, rather than use a $10 gram scale to do portion control, you fat gently caress

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm super psyched about the USB-C

I've been limping along using a Lenovo tablet with USB-C for about three years now, never wanted to shell out for the iPad pro just to get the correct charging cable (no, I'm not going to invest in lightning cable ecosystem in 2020)

Hopefully USB-C trickles down to the rest of their ipad line, soon. My mom has to cart around a separate cable to charge her iPad mini everywhere she goes

I'm guessing this is apple putting their toe in the water about finally killing off lightning

Anyways, looking forward to finally getting an iPad, Android tablets loving suck

Anybody know what ipx rating the new ipads will have? They make great boat navigation hardware

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stirlo posted:

Genius Bar and other people i know who fix them say “unless you bring it in dripping water onto us, theres not any reliable way to tell water damage” “keep that to yourself”

Not particularly relevant on a boat in saltwater, but thank you

IPX7 generally means capacitive buttons etc will last at least 3-4 years in a saltwater environment

IPX68 generally means it will work outdoors for 20 years without any maintenance besides getting hosed down once a year with fresh water

Gonna have to replace my space heater this winter, as I just found out that capacitive button that switches it from low to high corroded out and now only turns on to HI mode, which flips the circuit breaker when the dehumidifier turns on

Last year we ate the cost of a "water resistant" bluetooth speaker whose buttons stopped working

I think even regular iphones have IPX ratings now, a little surprised the iPad line does not. Looks like there's a bunch of good aftermarket cases, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ziploc bags work for approximately no seconds in a direct sunlight marine environment, especially once the humidity turns the inside of the bag into a tiny rainforest

That said, iPads are the best mobile marine navigational devices on the market today

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been exclusively using Anker cables and battery banks for several years without issue. They don't seem to ever wear out and quality seems to be better than OEM, as well as within a dollar of most other brands

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't done a formal comparison, but my guess is that the "Powerline+ II" cables are in fact better quality than OEM lightning cables, Anker lists the wire gauges (what you're referencing, I think) as well as the tension strength and bend lifespan.

The Powerline+ II cables aren't as sexy and lithe as an apple lightning cable, but they don't seem to wear out after a year, either

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Significant reduces the resale value of stolen Apple products though, which makes them less of a target for theft

It's always fun to read the comments section on places like fb marketplace when somebody tries to fence a locked apple product

Bunch of people walking around with $1000 mobile devices every day, yet theft is almost non-existent; the lack of black market for Apple devices probably prevents less e-waste though lack of theft than your situation creates

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're looking at getting the new iPad air 4 with the standardized USB-C charging, mostly as a "remote control for the house" for all the smart home/smart baby poo poo; I think we have two baby things now that will only work with the app - not my decision as merely the dad, but whatever. Also so we don't have to install/manage all these apps/passwords on both sets of in-laws, babysitters etc etc and nauseum, they can just pick up the pink unlocked ipad on the coffee table and immediately get to work

The new iPad air 4 comes in 64 and 256gb models

If I'm not planning on doing CAD or running a small business from this thing, is there any reason to shell out the extra $150 for the bigger 256gb memory thing or whatever. If we can get away with the 64gb model without too many regrets that would be awesome

I think we will have 15-20 apps on the iPad and that's about it? I haven't used an ipad newer than a 2012 model that lives on our boat and it's basically incompatible with everything so no idea how much space these things use in this ecosystem anymore

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well never mind, apparently we're getting the iPad pro with the keyboard and the pen and it's my wife's new laptop, replacing her '13 macbook air; raise your hand if that wasn't obvious

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sourdough posted:

I assume you mean you're getting the pro in addition to another ipad,

Yep! This just became a $2,000 conversation

On the plus side I'm off the hook for Christmas gift this year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I do computer toucher poo poo on my Thinkpad in the house; the 180° true lay flat display hinge is awesome for using on the couch. Now that apple has fixed their keyboards, the laptop display hinge is the last thing holding me back, it really does make a tremendous difference

My wife mostly wants one for spreadsheets, photo and video editing etc

We will probably get a third ipad for the boat when they release the mini with a USB-C port, but we're not in any rush right now (and probably neither is apple)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you ever sat in bed with your knees up and rested the book on your knees

Basically if you fully unfold the laptop, the bottom of the laptop rests on your belt buckle/waist, and the screen sits at knee level. That's an extreme example

With any Apple laptop, there's a maximum angle you can keep your knees at, because the display can only go back so far, it's very limiting to how you can sit, and still keep the screen parallel to your face. There's no real limitation with Thinkpad screen hinges. It's a small, but critical detail. My work laptop is a rMBP but I can't really use it in bed or on a lounge chair because the maximum screen angle is uncomfortable.... I will see if I can do a diagram. It's not critical, but it's a major quality of life thing, like having a larger touchpad or a good keyboard

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FCKGW posted:

my guy livin'

Basically this, but with a black fedora and more neck beard

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah when I say spreadsheets, I really mean grocery lists, to do lists, monthly budget for personal finance and poo poo, not developing a new financial model to lease 737s to Amazon for black friday

We are heavy users of Google sheets for shared task lists etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I have an iPad Air - gen 3. Barely ever used it and it's less than a year old.

I'm guessing ... hardware failure?

That ought to be a warranty replacement via apple. Might be a bad battery connection? Who knows. It's safe to assume any data on your iPad that's not backed up is now gone forever

If you bought your apple product with a credit card there's a small chance that it covers your electronics beyond apples 1 year warranty

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the iPad Air 4 pre-orders are going out soon

If you buy now, they won't arrive until first week of November

Pretty garbage October roll out, I needed a USB-C iPad by the end of the month, I guess we're stuck buying the pro instead

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

depending on how much effort you wish to exert you might have better luck with a local store, especially if you have an apple store around

I don't think we're going into a store until next summer

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I literally would not know, the only in person shopping I've done since third week of February is the grocery store, but I don't want to get stuck on some covid tangent

Ended up ordering one on the apple website, we're gonna just limp along on some poo poo tier Amazon tablet from 2014 or whatever until it arrives in the second half of November

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The General posted:

Yeah but engravings.

This too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If we could get a 5" ipad with USB-C, we'd have bought that instead

Instead I'm stuck buying a macbook air sized tablet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

Hey folks, we just picked up the new iPad Air, are there any features I need to know about or are we squarely in "iphone, but big" territory here? Also, a relative surprised us with one of those series 2 apple pencils and it's nice. I actually enjoy using it for general navigation, but I haven't been able to determine if it's possible to use it to view recently used apps/return to home. Is that possible?

The most impressive trick with the iPad Air is that you can plug in a USB-C hub, then plug in all sorts of stuff like mouse, keyboard, hard disk etc like a regular laptop

We got the pencil as well, have been very happy with it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google Fi will let you tether any device at no additional charge

On top of this they will ship you a second data only sim free that charges you I forget, something like $1 for every 100mb which is pretty reasonable. I've been a happy Google Fi customer for about 5 years now and pretty sure they support iPhone users now

We use the USB-C port for external ssd for video editing etc etc on our iPad Air, works great, we just bought the 64gb model fully expecting to use the ssd and have had zero issues. Lightning connector is gonna be dead here in a few years, hard to argue with the USB-C connector

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Warbird posted:

Anyone got a go to Air case they like?

We have this one, it's about $12 fits like a glove, in clear

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08JCJ2LN7

Feels kind of cheap, probably won't last more than a year, but good value at the price point. You can buy 20 years worth of these for one Apple branded one

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

My kid's iPad keeps signing out of iCloud, App Store and iMessage basically every day.
Has anyone run into this and can suggest a fix?

Rotate the password in case somebody else has it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

This has to be inconceivable (not getting any signin emails) but I'll try it anyway.

Yeah I'll admit it's highly unlikely in the era of "hey a new device signed in - are you sure about this?" Emails, but will definitively rule that out

Last Chance posted:

I totally forgot that the new iPad Air doesn’t have FaceID. Does the TouchID button work pretty well?

It takes between half and one and a quarter seconds, slightly slower than face id to be noticable, but not by much, certainly not a deal breaker

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you don't use the magnetic charging, how do you keep track of the pencil when you're not using it? I'd lose it + the charger cable in the first week

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying an Apple Pencil 2

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

The iPad Thread: Share your weird hacks to avoid buying a new iPad Pro or an iPad Air

Fixed for you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

priznat posted:

I love my 12.9 pro but I would definitely get an air if I was buying now.

New squared edge mini when??

I love my square air, but we would have bought a square mini with USB-C had one been available

edit: gently caress iphone specific proprietary connectors on tablets forever, get hosed, johnny ive

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ipad air with 2nd gen pencil is really really nice user experience

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What am I going to hate about using my USB-C iPad air as an external display for a 2019 16" mbp

My wife has commandeered the office for the next two weeks, and with it, my monitor

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don’t think anything I own has a USB-C

lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lmfao USB-C on the mini

The only devices still using lightning connectors on the planet are the increasingly ghetto iphone, mighty mouse, and I guess, the airpods charging case at this point? Rapidly shrinking lightning cable universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Show me any other consumer device being released in 2021 that has a proprietary charging cable, it's really really hard to find an iphone cable in 2021 without having to buy a spare

At least, as the other guy pointed out, iPhones at least support qi charging standard. Having your own special cable used to be cute but with literally every other device on the planet having USB-C now, even consumer ipads, it's just... Sad

You've not known convenience until you charge your phone with your laptop charger... Or vice versa on a trip somewhere

I only buy Anker cables, haven't had any issues yet