Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The guy is such a sly ballbuster. There really isn't anyone like him I know in entertainment.

I mean, he is incredible. He goes on a two minute long tirade saying how much he appreciates the guest and goes really deep into the emotional core of why he likes him (''it's one thing to make people laugh, it's another to make people smile'') and then flips right back to pot jokes at the expense of the guest.

Norm is sharper than any razor you could get from the Dollar Shave Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, it was a great one. Probably the one that gave me the biggest laughs actually.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
They shared anecdotes they already knew as friends before and said they hung out a bit in the past so perhaps the interview chemistry wasn't there but they seemed somewhat close.

I guess Norm just didn't want to bust the balls of a closer friend than Todd Glass. I'm just spit-balling though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
When Norm was bitching about a comic that used to explain every joke, is it just me or was it a veiled rib directed towards Todd Glass? Adam Eget seemed like he had a ''I know what you're doing here'' laugh.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Does anyone know what he's up to currently?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Uh, he is married and has a kid and tours stand up when he wants. Dude is rich and likes to stay home and watch sports. Why do you feel bad for him?

He remarried? His first divorce was a thing back in the nineties.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

rear end Catchcum posted:

My bad. I didn't know he was divorced. When you say it was a thing, is there a story to that?

Howard stern tried talking about it a lot when he was somewhat of a regular guest and Norm didn't want to talk about it. It seems like he was perhaps fooling around or something but that was years ago.

They go on the subject a little in the old clips you can find on the internet, they're pretty funny too!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Basically a good friend of his would invite Norm over and while the friend was outside lawnmowing Norm would gently caress the wife of the dude in the rear end. It really isn't anything more than that. My personal theory is that it could be Roseanne.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Looks like Norm is lobbying for the Q radio show on Twitter. I'd be really pumped for that to happen but I'm pretty sure there aren't any chances of it really happening.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm serious too, I mean, he has been asked by howard stern or someone (I forget) about her and he kept mum on the whole subject. The kiss on the lips at the end of the podcast she was a guest on also speaks for itself.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

There's no way he's being serious, Q is just a hot topic on twitter he's attaching himself to.

How do I know? His brother Neil MacDonald has been a journalist at the CBC for 20+ years and carries considerable weight there. If Norm really wanted the show, he'd be going through back channels.

yeah, I thought about that, the brother does have some pull but lobbying on his end ''publicly'' can't hurt. At worst it's gonna make him trend a bit on twitter.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Goddamn Norm guy is ridiculous.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does Todd Glass ever tell jokes or does he spend all his time monotonously dissecting other peoples' jokes like he did on Norm's podcast?

Yeah, that's his thing.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
It was such a funny show too. It's a real shame they didn't renew it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
A lot of comedians consider Norm as a maniac in life but never went into it. Knowing he's a gambling addict, it wouldn't surprise me he's an addict to other stuff too. One of his best friends for a long time was Artie Lang after all.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't he have an embolism or a stroke or something around the time the podcast started?

RE: drug talk, the thing going around for ages is that he has issues with prescription medication (anti-anxiety meds), not recreational drugs.

He had Xanax on the podcast and gave it to Roseanne, he could very well have found a doctor somewhere that's a bit too prescription happy.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Paul Kersey posted:

Artie has always sworn up and down he's never seen Norm drink or do any drugs. Only gambling. Who knows though.

True, but I don't trust Artie.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
This is it, the only bio I will purchase on day one.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Norm's book is finished which apparently also means new video podcast soon
https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/753141604362227713

YES

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
wow, that's kinda sad.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm sure some people here know already but the moth joke Norm did on Conan a few years back seems to have been inspired by the events of the book "The Death of Ivan Ilyich".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Ivan_Ilyich

Looks like a good read!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Great episode. I love when Norm fucks with his guests.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

tvgm2 posted:

Norm does.

I got the book but im curious about his delivery im the audiobook. Does he make an effort?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

I've got no idea what you are referring to.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'm sad to see the podcast already fallen o the wayside but at least he's been getting press because of the book.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

How Much Art posted:

This is loving great, I can't believe this was out in the ether and I'm only seeing it now.

edit: Just a side note, I had a new found respect for Larry King when he laughed really hard at Norm's "Guinness Book of loving Retards" joke on the podcast.

Yeah, seeing him with norm made me realise the guy likes his blue jokes.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Grandma Panic! posted:

Bumping this out of the ether cuz Norm's episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is out in a day or two (and has already been leaked).
No real mention of when the podcast will return, though :smith:

That's good news, I was really looking forward to seeing norm in that.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I really like norm, but reading comments and people responding to him on twitter is the saddest most frustrating thing in life. it's just a bunch of goddamn references to bits he's done twenty years ago and that have no relevance to the subjects he talks about. It's got to be really depressing to him.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thid thread is fun, very very slow but it's nice to have other fans of good comedy around and see their suggestions.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ariza posted:

I was on a Norm on YouTube wormhole and I watched this for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztszNnfgwrw&t=276s

He knew, yeah? Or am I reading too much into this, because it seems like you wouldn't say that about a normal person. I know I've heard from lots of comedians that it was a known thing but without proof, but this is the earliest video I've seen about it.

He was kinda obsessed about Bill Clinton and a supposed hit he put out on a dude back in Arkansas. No idea about the backstory but most Weekend Update bits he did on the subject are online. No idea about the Bill hit but as some youtube commentary said, when they brought out a picture of GW with Norm on it, he took the gloves off and dished it out in their direction a little.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The man needs a paycheck from time to time.

After reading his fake-real bio I am curious as to if he's actually still paying for some bad gambles he's done in the past.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Man I tell ya.... THAT GIRL'S A REAL JERK!!!!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Honestly, I'd like to talk about this, who thinks it's ever coming back?

I think he has let go of the idea of using the podcast as a vehicle for self-promotion and might just go fulltime into writing.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

People have speculated that it's not coming out until after the special. I could see Netflix having a non compete clause (don't put any content out on other streaming services within X number of months of the special). Or they acquired it and are holding it back so the special gets max exposure.

I really wish that will be true, but I believe Norm loves loving with his audience much more than doing the podcast.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I like the thread being open. We could at least leave it that way for a month or so after the special airs. by then we will probably know it's over.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
there's a Tom green live interview where Tom offered a jaegermeister shot to Norm. cue Norm asking for like ten other shots in just as many minutes. he was blasted pretty quick.

the guy definitely didn't only have gambling for a vice.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ol yeller posted:

please dont do this

Do what? Can you read?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

ol yeller posted:

the stupid GBS thing where you begin assuming things about people you dont know and foisting traits onto them. it ruins threads and is epically retarded. please dont do it.

So you haven't watched the interview in question nor have heard people talk about the guy anywhere I gather? Norm is notorious for is lack of self-control.

Instead of putting your celebrities up on pedestals you could just accept he's a flawed old chunk of coal that we all wish will one day turn into a diamond.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I like the ones where Norm fucks with his guests the most. The Todd Glass one is great for that and the one with Stephen Merchant too.

Edit : The one with gilbert where they gently caress with Adam Eget a ton is great too.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Harminoff posted:

Eget abuse is funny until you listen to him on "untill I lose interest" podcast and then you just feel kinda bad for him.

Eget's great, he's had a lovely life but really made the most of it. Everyone that goes around the Comedy Store speaks incredibly highly of him.

• Locked thread