Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
In lieu of a podcast, here's my favorite Norm Macdonald moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_Kh8sdpHY

And if any of you haven't seen "Me Doing Standup" I recommend that as well. Norm is extremely underrated as a comic.

e: Also, if you haven't seen them yet, GSN's High Stakes Poker episodes that Norm commentates are fantastic.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Todd Glass is an unbearable, sententious moron and Norm handles him expertly. He aids Glass in coming across as a meandering, myopic child; but mostly Glass gets there on his own.

For all Glass' confused diatribes about comedy he certainly misses a million hilarious jokes (mostly at his expense).

"To George Carlin," Jesus Christ, Todd.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Apoplexy posted:

Someone doesn't 'get' Todd Glass, and that's sad. He's missing out on something great. It's like not finding Norm's bit at the Bob Saget roast funny, or Gilbert Gottfried's one for that matter.

Then elucidate what Todd Glass is all about. I listened to his podcast on two separate occasions and it was rife with reverb hi-jinks and spontaneous singing. I don't think he made a single funny joke (to me, at least. I realize comedy is subjective). Admittedly, to George Carlin, I haven't seen his stand-up because I was so disgusted by his podcast.

or don't, as that's not what this thread is about. I guess I don't 'get' what there is to get.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

AxeManiac posted:

One thing I find, is if a joke enough funny enough, you just gotta explain it enough times until people understand, then boy howdy, will they be laughing.

Thank you, Mark Twain.

And agreed. In which case Todd Glass was masterful on Norm's podcast (explaining the parameters of comedy for all of us boors).

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
That was pretty rough. Koechner seemed pretty delicate and irritable

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

fuf posted:

yeah David Koechner was the worst.

I kind of don't get why he doesn't have better guests. Wouldn't most comics love to be on a show with Norm? He must be choosing his buddies or whatever.

It wouldn't have been bad if Norm wasn't so reticent and deferential, but for whatever reason he seems to hold Koechner is high esteem. When Koechner started to get noticeably irate he should have given him the Todd Glass treatment.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

steinrokkan posted:

I liked the Todd Glass interview. He was an extrovert, and he kept in good spirits, never getting legitimately angry. In the end he gave Norm a lot of material to work with. I don't know much about Koechner, but he was just passive and sort of abrasive so there wasn't much of a potential for chemistry between them.

I think the Todd Glass interview was my favorite from this season as well, precisely because Norm dug into him so hard. And as silly as I find Todd Glass, you're right; he gets a lot of points for rolling with the punches.

I'm hoping they book Roseanne soon because she's has been vilified for being "crazy" or whatever and Norm seems to have a pretty interesting history, at least anecdotally, as a writer on that show.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It could also be considered a bad idea to let Russel Brand appear in any form of media.

I got sort of a perverse kick out of watching an idiot condescend a genius, to be honest. Watching Brand spout off on those half-baked diatribes about "acquiring a superficial education", sexual liberation while missing Norm's jokes about being a prude, and transcendental meditation/spirituality was pretty hilarious. And the youtube comments from all the Brand fans in awe of the man's garrulous displays of pretension ruled.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 9, 2014

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Bundt Cake posted:

I thought Koechner was funny.

Norms podcast is weird for a comedian interview podcast cuz it draws a crowd that doesn't know who Dave Koechner and Todd Glass are. Theyre both awesome and good but I guess the reason they arent more well known might be the same as the reason people didnt like them on the show.

Yeah, nobody knows Koechner: co-star of the most ubiquitous Will Ferrell franchise.

Bloody Holly posted:

What if Norm came to the set early and found Rosanne washing her fat rear end in the sink?

That'd be fine, so long as she was eating a Reuben sandwich.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Harminoff posted:

What's up with the Norm's painted nail?

also lol at Norm randomly giving drugs to his guests.

I'd imagine it's in the same vein as dressing up like a rap star for radio interviews or an eight year old decked out in Old Navy and zip-off pants when he does stand-up comedy. It's intentionally jarring and absurd.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
That bit about child death and Larry King mentioning how Paul Newman told him "you never get over it" has me in tears every time Norm tells it. loving hysterical. Larry King is such a prick (albeit an inimitable prick).

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
I don't recall this being posted, but this, outside of the interview with Maron on WTF, is one of the few candid interviews with Norm Macdonald I've ever heard

http://teamcoco.com/content/norm-macdonald-team-coco-podcast-137

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
The hyper-realism bit from this weeks podcast was great. It's also always funny when Norm speaks candidly about his impressions of Hollywood people and the guest just sort of uncomfortably stares off into the void.

Martin Mull seemed like a cool guy, but it seems like any time Norm reveres a guest the podcast becomes immediately less funny. I just want him to book Todd Glass, Stoeller, and even Sandler to an extent ("I think Click will go down as one of those It's a Wonderful Life type films") types nonstop so he can do what he does best; overtly mocking their careers/opinions.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Interesting. I knew he was loyal to Sandler, I just thought for sure he was ribbing him there. I never managed to finish Click so I guess that was a pretty unwarranted assumption.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

The Human Crouton posted:

Saw Norm in Cleveland last night. Excellent as always. Funniest part was how he kept pretending he was about to light a cigarette the whole time. At first we thought it was just supposed to be funny because he'd start to light and then go off on some tangent, but we later figured out it was because he wasn't allowed to smoke in there and he was just loving with the management.

Does he post his touring schedule somewhere?

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
I wonder how Jeselnik and Norm will do in tandem. I reckon Jeselnik will be the mean one, I just can't see Norm tearing into someone in earnest. I can see him very sarcastically commending awful comedians, however. He'll also have the tremendous opportunity to set up Roseanne Barr to say increasingly (yet hopefully innocuous) crazier things as the season progresses, which is a plus.

I'd wager he makes it half a season before publicly shitcanning the show and getting fired. Or Don Ohlmayer will fire him before it even gets off the ground. Either way is exciting because Norm's take on it will be hilarious as always. Still really surprised Norm is back to work for NBC, though.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

I am not sure what is stranger, an unjaded Letterman or an extremely handsome young Norm. Either way, the quickdraw-Weatherman won the day for me!

That was pretty good comedy, though. I wonder if the shallow grave joke here was the catalyst for 'Janice'

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
I'm having a hard time believing Norm would prostitute himself for a dinery that serves not his favored Coca-Cola, but only Pepsi; his least favorite beverage.

Startling lack of conviction.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Drunkboxer posted:

Norm might fit in on Comedy Central now. It's sort of a different Network now as opposed to what it was back a few years ago when all it did was desperately try to get a new Chappelle's Show.

I'd watch a reality show solely comprised of Norm being driven to various delis/AM radio shows by those under his tutelage.

Or a sitcom loosely structured around Norm's real life in which he abuses Adam Egret in between trying to get back into smoking, reading literature and writing jokes about the holocaust.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Just saw Norm in Canada last night. He pulled his shirt over his belly and showed the audience his gut. A man on the guitar opened for him, executed his 'real jerk' joke amateurishly, then sang a song about the human centipede followed by a very licentious song about Regina, Saskatchawan followed by a song about divorce and masturbation (also pun laden). I'm still not sure if Norm was pulling a joke on the audience or not, as many stupid loving Canadians were utterly delighted.

Norm killed as always.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 13, 2015

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Odddzy posted:

wow, that's kinda sad.

Norm has never turned down a paycheck nor failed to produce a funny story about his many lackluster side projects. It's exactly par for th course.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Hat Thoughts posted:

Also apparently this used to lead to an article where Norm talks about books & how Dave Eggers is poo poo
http://www.adultswim.com/blog/interviews/celeb-nerdy-norm-macdonald.html

*diligently adds Eggers alongside Dostoevsky, Bret Easton Ellis and Neil Gaiman in 'listofauthorsnormhates.txt'*

I seriously can't wait for the biography. Really hope he talks about literature/his ill-fated 'norm's bookclub' twitter account.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

steinrokkan posted:

Norm hates Dostoyevsky? I thought he liked him.

There's some podcast/and or Dennis Miller or maybe that interview with 'Shad' where he calls Dostoevsky a puerile Tolstoy, although he likes Russian lit generally.

My autism quotient is through the roof so here's where it might be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxuFAeOe4FI

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Awesome news, depressing response from the boys at Reddit, Sam Hyde would be a terrible guest. Tim Heidecker might be good, though.

Jon Lovitz would be the best possible guest because Norm would have 0 compunction about belittling him for an hour and change. I also like the idea of Letterman and Jim Downey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me

Arbite posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/norm-macdonald-book-1.3740268

Book review from an award winning journalist who is also Norm's brother.

quote:

By MissPammy VINE VOICE on August 25, 2016
Format: Hardcover Vine Customer Review of Free Product ( What's this? )
I've always enjoyed Norm Macdonald on SNL, and he is--BY FAR--the best KFC Colonel Sanders to date. I did not, however, enjoy his memoir, although for the most part it was well written. There is humor in it, but it isn't the kind of humor I've known and loved Macdonald for. It's very dark humor forged in what might be the insanity of his mind and the brutality of some shocking incidents that he recounts. Although it's difficult to tell how much of what he writes might be tongue in cheek, my impression of it is that much of it really happened, and his black humor is a way of trying to make unfunny and tragic events humorous. As much as I like Macdonald's work as an actor and a comedian, I can't recommend this ultimately depressing book.

Who are these retards who get advanced copies and how can I become one of them?

• Locked thread