Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

thats because he's more intelligent than you are and it bothers you

It's insane to me how much people on the internet idolize Norm Macdonald. He's well-read but he's not much smarter than the average comedian. Read his Bob Dylan story from twitter, it sounds like undergrad aping of Cormac McCarthy. Whenever he "gets real" he uses a lot of embarrassing, grandiose literary flourishes and you can see why he sticks to his plainspoken style most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Jerome Louis posted:

He's no IT guru, that's for sure

Were you groping for a putdown and you only came up with my avatar?

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

hog fat posted:

I don't think you've ever read Cormac McCarthy, Norm's book, the Bob Dylan story or anything else for that matter. Norm's writing lacks pretension, McCarthy's style is intentionally florid. All you need to do is listen to an interview, an earnest one (one of the handful to exist) to know that he is much smarter than your average comedian. I don't know what literary flourishes you're alluding to, but the only times I've heard him use big words awkwardly is when he's doing so deliberately (zeitgeist).

I have read almost all of McCarthy but what serious reader hasn't? He's an entry-level author and his style is so easily copied that everybody who reads him writes like him for a week.

"When Bob Dylan speaks, his words seem chosen long ago, his sentences are spare, and he looks right at you, and his countenance is stone."

This appears to me to be a direct lift of McCarthy's biblical style of stringing together clause after clause with the word "and," except it's not done well. Too many commas and the word "countenance" is awkwardly deployed (wouldn't "face" suffice?). This is the sentence of an avid reader but a pretentious writer. I think Norm Macdonald is one of the funniest people alive but his deification is so embarrassing. I suspect his fans think being a degenerate gambler and recluse is actually cool and a more authentic way of living in the world. I don't want to beat up on him or his fans any further, I just can't stand this aggressive defense of him for everything he says.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Norm went off on twitter last night & someone on reddit compiled em before deletion (so, all credit 2 reddit)

At this moment, I am enlightened by my own intelligence

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Love too ruminate on Dostoyevsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

who cares dorks

Norm Macdonald cares I think.

• Locked thread