Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I mention to my friend (who works in Hollywood, doesn't really like Norm MacDonald, and hates that I keep talking to him about NMLive) that Jim Carrey is this week's interview and he's like "ugh gently caress that nihilistic spiritualist fuckhead. Did you know his ex committed suicide because he gave her herpes?"

"No" I said "But he did just make a joke about giving someone herpes by sharing a mug with them." Like, holy poo poo, Jim actually made a joke about spreading herpes in the first 5 minutes of this loving thing. Everyone seems coked up as gently caress.

Speaking of which, now that I found this thread and can finally talk about Norm with people who give a poo poo... what the gently caress was going on towards the end of that Tim Allen interview? I can only assume someone gave Norm some coke and he couldn't sit down anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I'm sad the season is over because Norm seemed to just be getting back into the swing of things with the last two episodes. I didn't even make it through the Caitlyn Jenner and Margaret Cho episodes.
Firstly, I don't think any of these episodes were in any particular chronological order. I would love to know how the production of this thing actually went, though.
Secondly, gently caress, this is the end of the season? So much for those rumors that he got a second interview with Super Dave. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gonna go see Norm in November and stay after to see if I can get some words in. Last time I saw him, he told me I reminded him of Edward Norton and I congratulated him on starting up the podcast again. Unfortunately, this was just after the first 2 episodes of this season, so the words probably rang empty due to the massive hiatus that hit afterward.

What should I ask him this time? What it's like to do coke with Tim Allen or what it's like to do coke with Jim Carrey?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Bit of a necro-post but I finally went to see Norm last night and figured I'd trip report for the other Norm fans on this board.

I'm deeply saddened to report that Norm's condition has only worsened since he made the latest season of Live. It was a bad sign when they booked an extra comedian for the show, shortening the length of Norm's act from the usual hour to 45 minutes. It was a worse sign when the host for the evening (typically a local comedian) had to do another 5 minutes of joke buffering before Norm came out. But once on stage with a Red Bull and his trusty "list of possible jokes I'll tell tonight" (now on 1 big sheet of paper as opposed to his usual sticky-note size [Did I mention I see Norm every year? I see him every year. I know his act]) it became apparent I wasn't going to be in for the usual night of Norm Macdonald.

I'd say about 30-40% of what Norm said came out more as a mumble than an enunciated sentence. Most of the jokes missed but the crowd, being die hard fans, laughed anyway. One person in particular would do the thing where he said the 1 or 2 words of a punchline real loud as he laughed. There was a joke about a psychotic break but at no point was there an understandable punchline to it. The deeply closest jokes came out and were better than usual but even his "I'll leave you with one more joke" bit at the end was a flop. His new material included jokes about how ghosts aren't scary but vampires are a scourge, which were good, but I can't think of any more material he did that wasn't him transitioning between 1 sentence of being present and elucidated followed by 4 sentences of flat out mumbling. Eventually, him drinking his Red Bull was a part of the act (half of Norm's charm is his delivery after all) but after a while you could tell that the Red Bull wasn't helping and he ran out a while ago. If something is wrong with Norm, it's hard to tell what it is. According to some stuff he was saying, it sounded like he's just getting old, but if you're not one to believe his insistence that he doesn't drink (which was a part of the act this night) he basically sounded like he was drunk off his rear end. Either that or high as a kite. What drugs give you mush mouth again?

As I walked out, not intent on sticking around to talk to the dead-ish grandpa who I doubted would be out for a chat anyway, staff at the club said "You lucked out. This show was his better than his previous ones" referring to the 5 other shows he had done this weekend. Ouch. I can only wonder where this is all headed. Twitter's got nothing. Google's got nothing. This is like knowing your favorite comedian is dying but everyone refuses to talk about it because it's too sad to think about. I don't know what's wrong with Norm and I don't know if we'll ever get classic Norm back without a visit to the Candy Man. I just wish I knew what to expect so I could know if going to see him live would ever be worth it again.

Edit: I just discovered he has a Reddit and there are other posts concerned like me. The typical "he's just having an off night" and "it's a running gag but he is always drunk" posts. Ah well.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Well after 3 Reddit topics were made just to talk about this weekend's lovely performance, it sounds like this is just a bad week for Norm and Xanax. Although others have seen him do the same thing at previous shows, he's apparently not permanently like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

He has off nights like this and has for a while. I don’t know if they’re more or less frequent these days.
Yeah I've read this particular sentiment multiple times now but looking at past reviews the two discrepancies that worried me were that nothing seemed to reach this particular level of hosed up and it lasted from Thursday to Saturday. His next show is in late January, though, so it'll be a while before knowing what's up.

• Locked thread