Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The Backrooms mod is unexpectedly really fun. Obviously the concept itself is done to death, but what the mod offers is a neverending maze that reminds me mostly of the old labs. You spawn in with nothing and have to scrounge around for any little scrap of material or food you can get hold of. There's no safe territory except the areas you've already cleared out, and you have a lot of emergency situations where you're just dying for a drink of water or a bandage or something and praying the next room won't have any dogs in it.

The only downside is, unsurprisingly, the monotony of the environment. In labs, you're dealing with a semi-realistic space, so there are discrete little areas and each room has something new to look at. The backrooms never really tries to do that, so everywhere you go is just yellow and sometimes there's randomly furniture. Still, it was really fun for a few hours, and made me feel like I was new to the game again, which was surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I've submitted the promised PR. I know worm girl here has already reviewed it a few times and corrected my misconceptions, of which there were many.

The biggest change I ended up making to the thing was removing the Fireproof flag and turning down (but not off) its immunity to energy weapons (including fire). I also increased the frequency and severity of warnings between days 7 and 10 (these warnings should interrupt auto travel, which previous warnings would not do), and the shadow boss shouldn't spawn until after day 10.

I also threw in a craftable heavy duty version of the headlamp because why not? If I want to duct tape an industrial grade flashlight to my face holes to protect me from the bogeyman, that's my prerogative.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think Innawood is for the "I want to conquer the crafting tree" folks -- people who have a part of their soul die when they find a hacksaw on a zombie or something.

If you just want to craft play the base game with eternal winter on and you're good to go

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think Innawood is for the "I want to conquer the crafting tree" folks -- people who have a part of their soul die when they find a hacksaw on a zombie or something.

For me, I kind of like the more relaxed playstyle (discounting the times where the game decides to spawn me with two to four of the big problems within spitting distance of my base, i.e. Triffids or Ants or Fungus or something from the Mods like the Krakens). Base game, you're sort of incentivized by the gameplay loop to be on the move a fair bit, either looting or dealing with the local threats or moving to accomplish a quest or heading to some bigger area. You're dealing with constant threats in numbers, but at least early on they're 'minor' threats, especially if you know how to handle the zombies or built a melee monster or something. Even if you plan to stay in the Evac Shelter or whatever your starting location is, you'll either need or will be incentivized to go out to get stuff for it. Getting tools and materials for crafting, going out to get food and get the stuff for a farm, going out to make sure a zombie horde or that nearby Fungal Tower isn't going to be a problem.

Innawoods? Barring some bad luck or Mods, the threats are either very known (spotting Triffid Groves on the map) or they're 'handleable.' You're mostly going to be fighting animals, zombie animals, and large insects 'randomly,' and even then it's going to be in less numbers than regular human zombies. Sure, more of a threat but it changes the feeling of the game. The environment is more of a concern, since you can't just go out and put on fifty pounds of clothes from the nearby houses or survive off water heaters until you can set up for long-term water purification and storage. The big threat is just keeping yourself fed and healthy, with hunting and fishing and foraging being a larger part.

Similarly, Innawoods requires the Crafting Menu and the Build Menu, whereas the base game it's very easy to ignore it or underutilize it. It might just be me, but outside of some basic weaponry (Quarterstaff, Cudgel), training, or cooking, the only crafting project I generally bother with in the main game is eventually making some Survivor or Nomad Gear. Forging weapons or armor requires often a lot of serious set-up, and while with weapons it's fine, forging or crafting decent armor takes a while. And usually the comparable stuff to leather armor or full plate is easier to acquire. Sure, I could hunt a few large animals or depopulate several stores of leather clothes to spend a while making leather armor... or I could plan, get an acetylene torch and welding goggles, and then go break into a police armory or two for kevlar gear. Sure, it's not as good as leather in terms of coverage, but it's a lot easier to acquire. Similarly, the set-up to make a good metal weapon isn't too bad (though with the anvil stuff it got worse since I can't just rip apart a car and bash one out), but early game a baseball bat or combat knife or fire axe is usually enough for my melee needs, and later-game I have guns hopefully.

(Honestly, it's my biggest personal issue with the game. I love the crafting menu and crafting in this game, but at least in the base game I just don't see the point in forging stuff up barring niche builds or maybe a weapon late game, never have the opportunity for high-level chemistry, and so on. And I'm not sure how to fix that beyond either making it easier (which is doubtful given the devs wanting 'realism') or making poo poo worse for the player (i.e. making it so everything besides raw materials is so rare that finding a hammer is a major haul.))

My Innawoods playthroughs (three now discounting early deaths like 'whoops Owlbear sniffed my cave out and killed me') have always been more interesting than my base game runs and taught me to make my own fun. The first one was just interesting from a 'Huh I actually have to figure out stone tools huh' standpoint, making me learn the neglected crafting and build menus as well as requiring foraging and farming and hunting, when usually I'd just hoover up all the non-perishable food in a town and drive off. After that, I'd come up with fun odd goals. The second playthrough was with the gimmick/justification of my character driving during a portal storm and ending up crashed somewhere else, so I had the self-imposed challenge of making a vehicle out and preparing enough stuff for the journey. The third, I debug-spawned a plane crash site, debug-killed the zombies (to represent them being dead from the plane crash only to reanimate later), and then debug-broke my legs. The goal there was also escape, but also to find where my character's family went (i.e. rescue people from a Mi-Go encampment).

Sure, I can make my own fun in the base game, but Innawoods, the temptation to fall into the usual 'gameplay loop' I have is far less. It's kind of hard to rush into a town to find the gun shop/police armory/tool store when there isn't one, and no rushing for the end-game gear when it's quite frankly impossible to make in most cases (no kevlar, for instance). I'm limited by what I can find far more than in other stuff and thus I'm always having to experiment and improvise, instead of just going 'why should I use chitin armor when I can get the Hub-01 Armor?' Instead I'm having to go 'Man I've never used bronze armor before, what's that like? Okay that's cool but I only have enough steel for one weapon, let's try this Bill-Hook.'

(That being said, again, I wish there was a bit more to do or see. Not to mention I wish some of the other bigger mods could integrate better with it. Magiclysm isn't too bad outside of there just being a lot of Goblin/Orc/Forge spawns, and at least from what I've seen Mind over Matter works fine beyond there just being a lot of Crystal Outcroppings with open portals making GBS threads out eldritch horrors and dangerous Feral Psychics. Dinosaurs and that Mega-Fauna are fine too outside of just upping the difficulty drastically due to said fauna and dinos being nasty for a melee character. But Aftershock adds the unique buildings from that in a very odd way, while Tropiclysm is worse and dots the landscape with buildings too.)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
What are the Krakens from?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Magiclysm, I think. Or they might be base game, it's been a while since I didn't play with at least Magiclysm on. You find them in River Caves, I think they're called, and they're blue 'O' markers on the map on riverbanks or lake banks maybe. I don't know how nasty they are personally, as the second I saw the land-walking giant octopi that make up their grunt numbers (and then saw how infested the caves were with Debug Clairvoyance) I decided to avoid them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Thanks!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Well I will give the devs one thing they made geese assholes. Three geese just jumped me and two ran off after I clubbed their buddy to death. Which gave the wild pigs enough time to close distance and kill me.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The zombie apocalypse is really just a metaphor.

The metaphor is “geese are coming to loving kill you and you need to learn martial arts now before they break the door down”

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

side_burned posted:

Well I will give the devs one thing they made geese assholes. Three geese just jumped me and two ran off after I clubbed their buddy to death. Which gave the wild pigs enough time to close distance and kill me.

thats why you need to pack an ar-15.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mountain Lightning posted:

Magiclysm, I think.

Nah, they're from the base game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

furious geese futilely chasing after a 50mph spike-covered deathcar, trying to get at the driver

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

furious geese futilely chasing after a 50mph spike-covered deathcar, trying to get at the driver

this is their land now, you're intruding

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

a goose once came up and interrupted me when i was 90% of the way through dissecting something, thus voiding all my progress, and ever since then they and I have an eternal enmity

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I died in a fully kitted out deathmobile from a brute diagonally warping and then punching me backward into my deathmobile as it progressed on at high speed into my fleshy parts.

Basically I’m saying geese need a nerf.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cataclysm: Goose Days Ahead

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goose mutagen...

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Basically I’m saying geese need a nerf.

Geese need a nerf IRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeOVE9jjk0o

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*shudders*

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Somehow, geese remember they used to be dinosaurs, and they will not let a little thing like being a lot smaller than they used to be get in the way of that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

post threshold goose mutation is just one entry

rear end in a top hat Behavior: Activate to honk at a person. Gives +30 morale

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

You know you can just yell at the geese to scare them off, right? That wouldn't have helped poor Gwyneth during their crafting project, but the rest of you it would have.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It’s not the size of the goose in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the goose.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

The lack of points of interest in Innawoods is maybe it's biggest downside, alongside (and maybe tied with) an extremely rigid crafting tree that goes the exact same way with every game. Not having any reason to wander and explore leaves me sitting by a river for most of my time. C:DDA is definitely a game built on exploration, ventures, raids into the dangerous and unknown, and there's nothing in Innawoods but plains, forests, swamps, and rivers. The occasional cave might yield some ore but there's nothing really to find once I locate a patch of clay or sand early on, and I'm not sure the game it's built on is robust enough to support what's left.

Hard agree here on the exploring.

One thing I think back to a lot is something Worm Girl brought up somewhere in her LP about the hostility of the game world. The fact that everything in the world is immediately and unrelentingly hostile to you specifically is very limiting, I think. If more stuff was hostile to one another -- or maybe neutral to you until hosed with -- I think it would make the world feel more interesting and allow exploring to take a bigger role.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 17, 2024

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Has the Xedra Evolved mod been working for anybody lately? I've tried multiple releases over the past couple days and seen as many different errors on character creation, all stemming from Xedra it seems.
Edit: Not just me it seems, they seem to be chasing a trail of bugs according to the git.

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 17, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

To anyone who thought Medieval Swordsmanship was a bad martial art, I offer this example to the contrary.

Came across my very first Kevlar Hulk when clearing a town. These things have 50 cut armor and 30 bash armor. They're one of the most durable zombies there are. But, gently caress it, let's engage it in honorable melee combat. I isolated it from the crowd, brought it out to a nice clear area, then...

"Driving the point of my blade" into a zombie is the Medieval Swordsmanship armor penetration move, which scales based on your Strength. With my Hydraulic Muscles active, I have 52.5 points of armor penetration, which is enough to overcome the Kevlar Hulk's armor.

Thanks to uncanny dodge and a lot of armor, I didn't take a single point of damage, and thanks to my martial art, I could do meaningful damage to the kevlar hulk. The only way that could have been cleaner is if I had Barbaran Montante. (Also, if my sword hadn't taken damage from blocking just before I engaged. Whoops.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not really sure how armour works - how would you have managed with "just" a tempered steel nodachi, hydraulic muscles, dodge and armour? would it have just glanced off?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

not really sure how armour works - how would you have managed with "just" a tempered steel nodachi, hydraulic muscles, dodge and armour? would it have just glanced off?

AFAIK, armor is a flat damage reduction on any incoming attack and armor penetration nullifies armor up to its value.

With a cut weapon, it wouldn't be likely to win. Maybe I do a little damage on a critical, but high strength increases bash damage, not cut damage. I add 26.2 bash damage to everything I hit with Hydraulic Muscles on, which when added to the nodachi's 6 bash damage means a little bash damage would leak through its 30 bash armor. However, the Kevlar Hulk has 300 health to get through, and Hydraulic Muscles are extremely power hungry, sucking down 10kJ per second. I can only run them for 170 seconds on a full charge right now (plus a little more time from all of my generators burning at 100%.) However, a lot can happen during combat that messes with this:

* Armor encumbrance means that some of my swings don't connect.
* Uncanny Dodge can take me out of range of the Kevlar Hulk, requiring a few precious moments to re-enter melee. Micromanagement of CBM activation might help here.
* Uncanny Dodge also saps 75kJ when it makes me dodge.
* Nodachi have a rapid strike move, which does a 66% damage strike in 50% of the normal time. This is not great when you're trying to overcome armor.
* The hulk could connect with its bitchslap move. This not only knocks you the gently caress away, but does 35 damage, which is too much for even my armor. Add on the pain that this would cause, and things would go downhill quick.

With all of this in play, it's very likely that I'd run out of power or stamina before I finished the job.

--

If I used a bash weapon, like a war flail, it'd be a different story. Not only is it 50 pure bash damage, but it's a reach weapon, letting me strike the hulk at a safe range. The Kevlar Hulk has a 75 speed, which means I could probably chip it down over time, potentially without the Hydraulic Muscles on. Stamina would be the issue there, but I have a CBM for replenishing stamina. Bash damage is generally my favorite type of damage to deal, since most things with armor have the least bash damage armor. The only reason I'm even using a cut weapon is because I can do an armor pen attack as long as I use a sword.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'll revise my assessment of Medieval Swordsmanship from "bad" to "OK" since it apparently had its weapon selection improved since the last time I used it. One of the reasons why I rated it so poorly is that it only worked with western-style blades, most of which deal a significant chunk of bash damage, but the half-sword attack deals zero bash damage so you were effectively sacrificing a major portion of your damage output for armour penetration which made the AP attack only worthwhile using against the most heavily armoured targets. The damage stats on Asian swords are almost pure cut damage which is more well suited to how Medieval Swordsmanship works mechanically.

Also since the armour penetration scales with strength, combining it with hydraulic muscles is going to make it overperform compared to a more usual situation where you don't have 30+ strength

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RabidWeasel posted:

I'll revise my assessment of Medieval Swordsmanship from "bad" to "OK" since it apparently had its weapon selection improved since the last time I used it. One of the reasons why I rated it so poorly is that it only worked with western-style blades, most of which deal a significant chunk of bash damage, but the half-sword attack deals zero bash damage so you were effectively sacrificing a major portion of your damage output for armour penetration which made the AP attack only worthwhile using against the most heavily armoured targets. The damage stats on Asian swords are almost pure cut damage which is more well suited to how Medieval Swordsmanship works mechanically.

Also since the armour penetration scales with strength, combining it with hydraulic muscles is going to make it overperform compared to a more usual situation where you don't have 30+ strength

Yeah, for sure. If I couldn't make one of the compatible Eastern-flavor cut damage swords, I would have dismissed the martial art entirely and kept on using brawling with my lucerne hammer (or maybe swapped to the war flail for its pure bash damage.) And, sure, if I had Barbaran Montante, I wouldn't be wasting my time with Medieval Swordsmanship. With Vulgar Preparation (assuming it stacks additive-wise with the BM passive,) I would have 48 armor pen before I even turned on Hydraulic Muscles, which is more than enough to completely overwhelm the piercing/bash armor of a Kevlar Hulk.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

AFAIK, armor is a flat damage reduction on any incoming attack and armor penetration nullifies armor up to its value.

With a cut weapon, it wouldn't be likely to win.

Weakpoints change the game a lot. If you're not dissecting Kevlar, bone, and arthropod enemies as often as possible, you are falling behind the evolution scale.

I suspect that currently, cut will outperform stab if you can hit weakpoints. Cut used to be almost useless because its thing was high damage vs unarmored, and every single enemy that matters becomes a 50 armor 400 hp tank lategame. Stab gets more bonus damage from crits than cut does, but cut weapons tend to have phenomenal base damage.

I kind of like the current weapon balance. Putting aside stuff like reach attacks, the game sort of encourages you to go blunt early, stab midgame, and cut lategame, but also rewards you for picking one thing and sticking to it. It's not like before where bash or stab were hands down the best.

Unarmed is almost useless, but I'm moving all mutation attacks over to use it, and in testing so far they work really well.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 21, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

worm girl posted:

Weakpoints change the game a lot. If you're not dissecting Kevlar, bone, and arthropod enemies as often as possible, you are falling behind the evolution scale.

Should I be aiming to dissect enemies before pulping them, or does it matter? Dissecting takes so dang long that zombies tend to get back up while I'm in the middle of it, and getting interrupted in any butchering-type action completely voids progress.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Should I be aiming to dissect enemies before pulping them, or does it matter? Dissecting takes so dang long that zombies tend to get back up while I'm in the middle of it, and getting interrupted in any butchering-type action completely voids progress.

Looking at the code I don't actually see a difference. I tested it just now and got 3% principles of biology from a pulped zombie, and the same amount from an unpulped one.

That should definitely change, but until it does, there you are. You can somewhat reduce the work time by carrying a large plastic sheet in your bag (deconstruct a garbage bag to get one) or by having an NPC with you, or both, they stack.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Huh, last time I tried dissecting I only got like 0.2% knowledge. I guess it must scale with focus?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Vib Rib posted:

Huh, last time I tried dissecting I only got like 0.2% knowledge. I guess it must scale with focus?

It scales with focus and intelligence. IIRC you're also supposed to get your learning every 15 minutes, however due to a bug that I don't understand (the code looks like it should work fine), you only get it at the end. This means it's in your best interest to always dissect smaller monsters, as they'll teach the same amount in less time.

You also want to grind the prereqs on basic enemies. Normal zombies will teach you principles of biology and some other poo poo that you need to get going on the broader system. Jumping straight to kevlar hulks is like trying to craft a survivor suit with 0 proficiencies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dissecting enemies is really important. Having full weakpoint knowledge really does a number on almost everything.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Sorry to post so much but I am really proud of this.

I added gliding a bit ago for bird mutants. That was in preparation for a much bigger project, bat mutants.

Chiropterans turn into something like a varghulf from Warhammer or Man-bat from DC. They have sucky hands but a really good bite attack, and if they're crawling (run or crouch with your hands free) they will generally favor it over any other kind of move. They love blood and can't handle grains or junk food. They can eat other stuff, but will become anemic in just a few days without a lot of meat, liver, blood, or iron supplements.

They can glide like birds, but unlike birds, they have super climbing powers, like spiders. If you crash into a wall, you'll actually stick to it. The tradeoff for this will be that bird gliding is less tiring and they can go a bit farther.

Note that in the screenshot below, we are at Z+1, clinging to the second floor of a 2 story house.

From their wall-clinging position, they can climb up or down, or they can glide in any direction. Here, we glode north from our previous position and hit the wall almost immediately.

They aren't blind, the character in this screenshot is wearing a blindfold just to illustrate how echolocation works. Their vision does sort of suck though, so echolocation will help. You can activate it from the mutation menu ({) to emit a pulse that echoes off of walls and creatures, it will also identify certain traps (unburied, large, solid objects, like shotgun traps or land mines, but not caltrops or buried land mines):

They can also smell heat, so as long as their mouth is uncovered, you get IR smision on top of any normal vision you might have. Here we can hear (via echolocation) and smell a zombie.

We get up in his face.

The echolocation mutation only works on land. If you want to echolocate underwater, the Subaquatic Navigation System CBM has you covered. Every 5 seconds, it emits an ultrasonic pulse which, if you're underwater, will echo off of obstacles, traps, and creatures in the area. Just like with chiropteran echolocation, the echo is different depending on the size of the creature. Some creatures, like slimes and skeletons, may seem smaller than they actually are. Smaller creatures are naturally harder to detect.

You can improve your odds of detection by improving your hearing. This can be done with the good hearing trait, and any of the +hearing mutations (provided they don't block you from getting the CBM installed, since it goes in the inner ear).

But who has time to remember that ping is a small creature and pong is a medium one? If you have a Targeting System CBM installed and haven't gone blind for some reason, your targeting system's bionic HUD will automatically convert the SONAR data to combat-relevant information.

On top of all that, the chiropterans are really, really scary to normal people, but they are actually really social, as bats live in huge colonies. Thus, they get the Sociable trait.

This is part of four new traits that are going in. Some mutants will get these, but all four will also be starting traits.

Extrovert and Introvert get a mood buff from being around friends and being alone respectively. Nothing bad happens if they aren't in their preferred state.

Sociable and Loner are the second tier of the above traits. The bonus you get from being in your preferred state lasts a lot longer (so a sociable mutant can get a buff from hanging around making breakfast with their friends, then go off on their own and be good for a while), but if they're out of their preferred state too long, they'll get a stacking mood debuff that can be pretty nasty. It resets when you sleep, but you'll want to make friendly NPCs a part of your lifestyle if you're sociable, and you'll want to avoid hanging around them too much if you're a loner.

Extrovert - Bird, Fish
Sociable - Cattle, Lupine, Mouse, Rat, Chiropteran, Elf-A
Introvert - Feline, Chimera
Loner - Spider, Ursine, Lizard, Beast

On top of all that, I'm moving mutation attacks over to work differently from how they do now. Instead of being free attacks that magically happen in a split second while you're doing some other attack, they will now be proper unarmed attacks that function like martial arts techniques, meaning they will sometimes (currently it's about a 1/5 chance) proc instead of the weapon or punch attack you're trying to do (but they don't interrupt shooting). This will be a pretty big debuff because of that, but they'll also have their stats adjusted to be in line with weapons, with critical hits and add-on effects and everything.

You'll be able to affect how often your mutation attacks proc in a few different ways. If you're a quadrupedal mutant (lupine, beast, feline, chiropteran), if you crouch or run, you'll switch to a quadrupedal stance (this is already a thing) and from that stance you will heavily favor mutation attacks. If you're an aquatic mutant, you'll favor your attacks while underwater. Spiders will favor theirs while their victims are webbed, and so on. You'll also automatically favor your mutation attacks while you're grabbed, if you're attacking your grabber(s). This means that if you can't use your sword because zombies have grabbed both your arms, you can just bite them to death instead. Some mutations, mostly the muzzles, will also unlock better attacks when paired with certain types of teeth. Like a bear muzzle with fangs can bite harder than a human mouth with fangs, mouth tentacles+beak is more accurate than just beak, etc.

If you want to totally turn off your mutation attacks, you can cover up the relevant body part, effectively muzzling yourself. A mouse mutant wearing an XS survivor mask won't be tempted to bite anyone, and will continue using their peasant flail or whatever.

The bat thing is almost done, then it'll be a couple weeks before it's out. Most of the mutation attacks will be done after that.

Some changes have also gone in to mutation loot in labs, and I think dead scientists you find out in the world might have a little bit of mutagen on them. In general, catalyst should be a lot more common. I don't agree they went in the right direction keeping catalyst and primer, but they're trying to alleviate some of the supply issues players have been running into.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Would it make sense for Alpha mutants to get introvert or loner? Their flavor text makes them seem like smug pricks high on their own sense of superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Would it make sense for Alpha mutants to get introvert or loner? Their flavor text makes them seem like smug pricks high on their own sense of superiority.

Their existing Superiority Complex mutation is actually being moved from the HUMAN_EMPATHY category to the new SOCIAL category, and will replace any of these traits if they have them. Alphas can be comfortable alone or in a group, as long as everyone knows they're in charge. Superiority Complex is currently just -persuasion +lie +intimidate, but I'd like to try to tie it into some NPC logic, both for the player and for companion NPCs.

This has the added benefit of allowing Alphas to be Psychopaths again. It really bothered me that we had a Patrick Bateman mutant who couldn't be a Psycho.