Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

More light-hearted content: i just got hit by a literal monster closet

That'll teach me to do literally anything without my gas mask on

always thought that for such a simulationist game it was a bit odd that toggleable breath-holding isn't a thing, with regards to smoke and clouds. hell, it could even decrease aim dispersion or something.

it would drive optimal play towards "press the button to hold your breath whenever you open a door" though, which would be tedious. then they could add options for "auto-hold breath" in various circumstances and it'd all get a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

always thought that for such a simulationist game it was a bit odd that toggleable breath-holding isn't a thing, with regards to smoke and clouds. hell, it could even decrease aim dispersion or something.

it would drive optimal play towards "press the button to hold your breath whenever you open a door" though, which would be tedious. then they could add options for "auto-hold breath" in various circumstances and it'd all get a little silly.

Yeah, I think something like this is similar to why you can't manually activate martial arts techniques in combat. It's not that it would be impossible to implement, but that it would slow gameplay to a crawl having to fish through a menu every time you hit a monster. Same thing with manually holding your breath.

In reality, it wasn't really a big deal what happened to me. I even had a gas mask on me; I'd just hadn't put it on. I got a good lungful of poison gas and it messed me up pretty good, but because I'd carefully cleared the entire town before going into a place with potential monster closets, I was able to dash out and let the poison wear off with no problems.

... actually, thinking on it, I wonder if there would be room for a "battle mode" that you can toggle on to temporarily shift some of the keybinds away from chunky simulation mode to whoop-rear end mode, and allow martial arts techniques to be activated that way. Sort of like insert mode in VIM. Like, using the numpad: ENTER toggles battle mode on. This changes / * - +0 . to be keybinds for various martial arts techniques; you push the technique button then hit tab or a direction to apply a specific technique if it's available. (This is definitely not because I just got Medieval Swordsmanship and am frustrated that I can't reliably use my knockdown move on command, not at all.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Martial Arts technique thing isn't just about trying to avoid slowing things by picking from a menu, though. It's also part of the design of the martial arts. "I can use this if I pause a second and then strike." The idea being to get you into the ideal places and situations to play your style. It's trying to be part of the focus on positioning and time management in combat, even if it doesn't succeed for all of the arts.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dandywalken posted:

Id like to propose a patch to make Rubik no longer British

Kilder heretime, nae wareness for the Anglic...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

The Martial Arts technique thing isn't just about trying to avoid slowing things by picking from a menu, though. It's also part of the design of the martial arts. "I can use this if I pause a second and then strike." The idea being to get you into the ideal places and situations to play your style. It's trying to be part of the focus on positioning and time management in combat, even if it doesn't succeed for all of the arts.

Yeah, juggling the various buffs is part of it. But, even then, things are left up to chance in some cases. An example:

I recently learned Medieval Swordsmanship. If I pause during combat, I gain the Half Swording buff, which represents me gripping my sword partway up the blade. Attacking with Half Swording can either do an armor penetration move, or a knockdown move. Both are useful, but at different times, and I can't elect to do one or the other. This also conflicts with my nodachi's techniques -- my character could roll to do a stun move, a rapid strike move, or a wide strike move without my decision.

I realize this is me complaining about stuff that's probably intentionally (or de facto) enshrined gameplay at this point. However, it's fun to think about what could be. What if I could press / to ensure that I do the armor penetration move?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, juggling the various buffs is part of it. But, even then, things are left up to chance in some cases. An example:

I recently learned Medieval Swordsmanship. If I pause during combat, I gain the Half Swording buff, which represents me gripping my sword partway up the blade. Attacking with Half Swording can either do an armor penetration move, or a knockdown move. Both are useful, but at different times, and I can't elect to do one or the other. This also conflicts with my nodachi's techniques -- my character could roll to do a stun move, a rapid strike move, or a wide strike move without my decision.

I realize this is me complaining about stuff that's probably intentionally (or de facto) enshrined gameplay at this point. However, it's fun to think about what could be. What if I could press / to ensure that I do the armor penetration move?

Medieval Swordsmanship is just a bit poo poo by design because it has huge drawbacks built into everything to make it "realistic" but none of the other martial arts do this. It also has a terrible weapon selection and most of the weapons it can use have been nerfed repeatedly for years at this point.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RabidWeasel posted:

Medieval Swordsmanship is just a bit poo poo by design because it has huge drawbacks built into everything to make it "realistic" but none of the other martial arts do this. It also has a terrible weapon selection and most of the weapons it can use have been nerfed repeatedly for years at this point.

Is it poo poo? I think it's pretty decent. I'd prefer to have Barbaran Montante, absolutely, but Medieval Swordsmanship gives me reduced swing time, extra block, occasional extra damage, and an armor penetration move that can let me overcome even a Kevlar Hulk's cut armor if I turn on my Hydraulic Muscles. The main downside is that it has neutral or even -1 Accuracy, so it sucks against small targets like flesh raptors (switching back to Brawling in that instance tends to help a lot.)

Besides, this character didn't start with any martial arts. I found the Medieval Swordsmanship book. You kinda have to take what you can get in this situation. (I also know Tai Chi, but it's so defense oriented that trying to kill zombies with it makes you run out of stamina fast.)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

RabidWeasel posted:

Wait what, whats the realistic part in it being poo poo.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
It isn't poo poo, it's one of the better MAs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/1923igx/sky_island_major_mod_expansion_milestone_1/

I spoke too soon, looks like the big sky island update is already here!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Caidin posted:

Mutation mechanic changes have always felt like sort a niche project that rarely sees a lot development. The mouse line in particular has had the conflict between it's size requirements and mutation restrictions keeping them out of a gas mask without tanking your mouth encumbrance for as long as it's been in the game.

I have fixed this. Survivor masks now all have a flag that lets them fit on any kind of mutated face, even the normal and XS sized ones.

It will be a headache, but I want to change clothes so that "will this fit a mutant" is a completely unrelated thing to "is this XL". My plan is to make clothes that come in Tiny (craftable only, or maybe very rarely things like doll or baby clothes would work), Child-Sized (dropped by kid zombies and found in kid stores), Medium (normal poo poo), Big and Tall (found in big and tall stores, sometimes dropped by tough zombies), and Huge (craftable only). I'd like these to be flags that proportionally adjusted weight, size, etc. automatically, but there are items where that wouldn't make sense.

Medium should still have some version of varsize as well, so that not every zombie drops clothes that fit you. It's a lot to deal with.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

It is autumn, which means it's time for wheat to come in.

Who knew that primitive agriculture was so labor intensive? :haw:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

force an npc to do it imo

megane
Jun 20, 2008

At least you’ll be able to sell it by the pound.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

At least you’ll be able to sell it by the pound.

:holymoley:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It is autumn, which means it's time for wheat to come in.

After all the arguing with the devs about how mutagen should be (they went with the worse option aaaargh), seeing someone play with a feature I worked on warms my heart.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can use zones or the faction camp board to order NPCs to harvest stuff. You can also harvest wheat with a tractor I think. Stooking spots are great for small amounts of grain, but if you need to dry a ton of it out, or you need it dry sooner, you can use a smoker. You can also order NPCs to thresh and winnow the dried grain via the faction camp menu.

Farming still has a long way to go. The current blocker is that the game models plant growth by having 5 pieces of furniture that each contain the seed, and the seed has data that determines the growth time etc. Except that 5 pieces of furniture is multiplied by 2 because there are also planters. And cattails can also grow in water, so I think that might be five more? And the furniture determines what the plant grows into, so I can't have one seed grow into a perennial bush and the other grow into a vine that dies at the end of the year, etc., nor can I implement hydroponics properly. It's all very confusing and I need to make it so the seed determines everything, but diving into uncharted waters in C++ is always daunting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

force an npc to do it imo

worm girl posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can use zones or the faction camp board to order NPCs to harvest stuff. You can also harvest wheat with a tractor I think. Stooking spots are great for small amounts of grain, but if you need to dry a ton of it out, or you need it dry sooner, you can use a smoker. You can also order NPCs to thresh and winnow the dried grain via the faction camp menu.

Oh right, NPC labor is a thing. I guess I should get around to killing that Jabberwock at some point...

I did find a reaper tractor! It had a small problem:

I can fix that.

As far as smoking/dehydrating the wheat stalks, I thought about it, but decided to do it the slow, zero effort way. Smoking the wheat would take a ridiculous amount of charcoal (plus smokers only hold 20 L of food, meaning I'd need a crapload of them,) and dehydrating it with the crafting menu, while faster, would monopolize me for days. For example:

I have 1,000 wheat stalks to dry. And that was just a tiny portion of the farm I found. The 1,000 wheat stalks I harvested was this tiny circled area on just one of those 4x4 fields:

If I went back (and fixed the tractor,) I could easily have several orders of magnitude more than that. As far as I know, there's no way to build a fan-powered drying silo, so stooks make the most sense. They are extremely slow, but I can parallelize them as much as I want, and it's not like I need the calories any time soon. Stooks are a bit tedious to fill, but once I figured out you can \ drag the stalks onto them, I developed a pretty brisk tempo and got it done with little trouble.

What I'd really like to find are some oats, since they grow so fast.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
One thing I want to include is corn drying on the stalk. I also want giant bugs to mob those farm fields, but that might need to wait for jsonized hordes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I really should have done the evac center NPC quest sooner. (Well, it was a quest to kill a Jabberwock, and it could have gone pretty bad if I didn't have an assault shotgun and Uncanny Dodge.) This NPC taught me ninjutsu, and now I have them threshing grain. It's like being able to craft in parallel, albeit a bit micromanagey.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Having some trouble disassembling a refrigerator. The game keeps complaining about how heavy it is. I have a table nearby (clean surface 2) so I'm not sure why it isn't using that as a space for crafting. I'm guessing something changed over the last few months?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you tried holding it in your hands? i remember trying to restart a partially-crafted anvil and having the game complain until i wielded it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

JerikTelorian posted:

Having some trouble disassembling a refrigerator. The game keeps complaining about how heavy it is. I have a table nearby (clean surface 2) so I'm not sure why it isn't using that as a space for crafting. I'm guessing something changed over the last few months?

If the fridge is deployed, use the * menu to deconstruct simple furniture, which will drop it as a "disconnected refrigerator." If it's already an item and you have it, drop it on the ground if needed and walk on top of it, then press ( to open the Disassemble menu.

(i've slightly edited this image to make it not 3000 pixels wide)

Disassembly requires light and tools. You can use the Hitchhiker's Guide to see all the tool qualities you'll need as well: e.g. https://cdda-guide.nornagon.net/item/fridge

The B key, for butchering, can also perform disassembly, but it is much less helpful about the tools and stuff and won't even allow disassembly as an option if it's too dark or whatever.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Tangentially related to the thread. Tim Cain giving his top 5 modern RPGs and the first was WoW, because of how fun it was. In it he gives his design pillar 'Fun trumps Realism'. Maybe the devs should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqKhMeAcKTM

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Marenghi posted:

Tangentially related to the thread. Tim Cain giving his top 5 modern RPGs and the first was WoW, because of how fun it was. In it he gives his design pillar 'Fun trumps Realism'. Maybe the devs should watch it.

Considering the DDA design doc says the game has a focus on verisimilitude for balance, and many devs have backed that up, I seriously doubt a single video will convince them to change this particular ship's course.

I've played some more of the new Sky Island update and aside from some issues regarding rivers, I am having a blast. The design aspects mean more tough choices because odds are good you won't see a particular location more than once in a good long while, so if you find something cool, you better make room for it if you want it to come with you. Difficulty ramps up at a good clip but so long as you know what to look for, you can keep up with it.

The fact that you get to come home after death means you're encouraged to take a few more risks in combat, which is good because you are often forced to go into dangerous territory to leave. (I've had several extraction points more or less in a slime pit)

If nothing else, it accomplishes its goal of changing the way you play.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did sky island ever add a way to get NPCs on the island? Having a set of helping hands or two would be useful for things like building a structure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did sky island ever add a way to get NPCs on the island? Having a set of helping hands or two would be useful for things like building a structure.

Not as far as I know, but the most recent update (not in the main repo yet) adds a system where you can turn in items you get from raids to build and upgrade a bunker on the island.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Marenghi posted:

If only more games tried to be like World of Warcraft...

worm girl fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 13, 2024

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can also change the scaling on the construction time at world creation. Set it to 10% time and call it a day.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Considering the DDA design doc says the game has a focus on verisimilitude for balance, and many devs have backed that up, I seriously doubt a single video will convince them to change this particular ship's course.

This is something that does kinda bother me about the dev process for this game because I feel it is often selectively applied against the player. Lots of stuff about the game is generally made complicated or annoying or power-limiting against players in the name of verisimilitude but when it comes to the opposition (especially the blob or whatever it is officially called) you can just handwave things with "well it's a paracausal transdimensional entity so far beyond us that the normal rules don't apply".

To be fair, that is usually a good game design decision to provide a challenge to players, but it can be applied unevenly in ways that seem unfair or just arbitrary.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, speaking of which, don't go out into the woods or a field at night after day 7. Turns out there's a chance for an unkillable summoner to just appear next to you and straight up kill you unless you start shining bright lights in its eyes, and even then, there's a half decent chance you'll die. How are you supposed to know about this in advance, or know that the only counterplay is flashlights and running into the nearest building? Great question!

In related news, Jimmy Backpack is now very, very dead.

In unrelated news, I will be submitting a PR tomorrow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Inglonias posted:

Yeah, speaking of which, don't go out into the woods or a field at night after day 7. Turns out there's a chance for an unkillable summoner to just appear next to you and straight up kill you unless you start shining bright lights in its eyes, and even then, there's a half decent chance you'll die. How are you supposed to know about this in advance, or know that the only counterplay is flashlights and running into the nearest building? Great question!

In related news, Jimmy Backpack is now very, very dead.

In unrelated news, I will be submitting a PR tomorrow.

versimilitude is key, you see

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Inglonias posted:

How are you supposed to know about this in advance, or know that the only counterplay is flashlights and running into the nearest building? Great question!

You get a ton of messages warning you that it's coming, and it only attacks at midnight if you don't have a flashlight. Turning the light on completely protects you from the event.

It's a horror game in the apocalypse. You should not be wandering around at midnight without a light source.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what on earth is this in relation to, i've never encountered any kind of midnight summoner

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

what on earth is this in relation to, i've never encountered any kind of midnight summoner

There's a boss that can appear if you're in a field or forest tile at midnight after day 7. It shows up pretty infrequently, but you'll get a ton of messages over the course of the night about something stalking you in the darkness. Once it spawns you get a Dwarf Fortress style boss message about how now you will know why you fear the night.

The boss is an invisible shadow, and it summons amalgamations. If you turn on a flashlight, the amalgamations quickly die and the boss becomes visible and gets a huge debuff. You just go over and whack it until it dies.

It has pretty good armor and is basically immune to bullets (the lamest way to balance a boss fight imo) and is about as fast as the player, so it's really annoying to try to catch up to it, but you can also just walk away. It usually only kills you if you have no light source.

Something I do have a problem with, and this is one of the few points where I'll agree on the scales being balanced against the player in a way that doesn't feel good, is that several enemies just arbitrarily have insane bullet protection because you're meant to fight them in melee. There are ways to accomplish that which don't break kayfabe, and 45 bullet armor on an armored centipede is not one of them.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 15, 2024

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The boogeyman as a surprise boss like that is cool as hell, and a fun idea. How long has it been in the game?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think other stuff like that could be cool. mutants creeping up from the sewers at night to harrass you if you're in a city, etc

bullet immunity sounds dumb though

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
One thing a lot of monster stuff is waiting on is JSONized hordes and better horde behavior. I really, really want you to have to build some kind of fence or something to keep aphids from eating your crops, and it'd be great if CHUDs came out of the sewers at night to raid the city.

We do have a really cool thing being implemented right now, and that's dormant zombies. You can see a demo of it if you go to a mass grave, but they're hoping to expand it to cities once it's ready. The idea is that a lot of zombies will go to sleep if nothing's around them, and they'll just look like zombie corpses. They'll be woken up if you make noise or get too close to them, so you can have situations where you're sneaking through a city and you accidentally make a sound that wakes up a screamer, who shrieks and suddenly you're surrounded. Now imagine that same scenario, but all the dead zombies were buried under snow so you couldn't see them until it was too late.

It'll speed the game way up too because a lot the bullshit in underground labs will go dormant. Exciting stuff.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Yeah I first encountered that summoner shadow while doing Innawoods, which was not very fun since in some cases you don't really have a choice about messing around at night with no real light. It also seems to kill all the plants nearby it when it summons Amalgamations, though I'm unsure if it kills crops. If so, it's even ruder once you got a farm going.

Speaking of, I wish someone would add to the Innawoods Mod a bit. Like the occasional crafting improvement they get is neat, but unless you have mods the landscape's very barren and uninteresting. I know that's the point, but I wish there was more structures or events, even if they're rare. Like the odd plane or helicopter crash (obviously modified so it isn't just a windfall of supplies), an abandoned and ruined village or cabin, something. Otherwise it's just some rare-ish standing stones, caves, plus the big monster locations like Triffid Hives or Mi-Go Camps or Fungal areas.

(Speaking of, I hate the Fungus in the base game normally, but like whatever, it's fine. In Innawoods, you really don't have any good options for dealing with them since making a molotov is basically an end-game crafting project, plus there's almost no way (if there is any way) to make anti-fungals to deal with any infection from them. So if you started anywhere near the Fungus, either you gotta pack up and move, or you restart, because otherwise the area's going to be awful inside of a month.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The lack of points of interest in Innawoods is maybe it's biggest downside, alongside (and maybe tied with) an extremely rigid crafting tree that goes the exact same way with every game. Not having any reason to wander and explore leaves me sitting by a river for most of my time. C:DDA is definitely a game built on exploration, ventures, raids into the dangerous and unknown, and there's nothing in Innawoods but plains, forests, swamps, and rivers. The occasional cave might yield some ore but there's nothing really to find once I locate a patch of clay or sand early on, and I'm not sure the game it's built on is robust enough to support what's left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I think Innawood is for the "I want to conquer the crafting tree" folks -- people who have a part of their soul die when they find a hacksaw on a zombie or something.