Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gee I wonder if the not-alcohol alcohol everyone drinks has something to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Planchett seems like he's "that guy" that you'd think would be in on this whole weird Innsmouth-type conspiracy in these sort of stories but it turns out that he's actually one of the least-corrupted characters in the whole mess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's kinda ironic he doesn't remember the twine man because barricading himself into the shop didn't work so good last time at protecting him from monstrous undead horrors.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Huh, that insignia looks familiar.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I re-read this book so far and I kinda skimmed over the fact that apparently something is heating the floor under Zane's shop. That's not something that was really used in small buildings back then.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kgummy posted:

I thought the same thing. Though it was more what was heating the floors. If it's just one of the mysteries, or just something Zane does off screen.

And I did a quick search and underfloor heating has apparently been a thing for way longer than I thought.
Yeah it's been around forever. In 1900-1930's era America though it wasn't really a thing outside of very large buildings.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's all fun and games until someone actually gets hurt.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You'd think that it'd be a bit more scandalous that he had Iris spend the night, given this is depression-era America.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why would he think he killed Maris to make himself afraid? My assumption would be that Maris and I were attacked, I fled, Maris fought.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Watch the Doc get killed off because we can't have anyone besides Zane know that the town is hosed up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still don't get why Zane is convinced he did it when he has drawings of the worms coming out of the forest in his notebook apparently, found the notebook but found no apparent weapon at his place (nor was there one at the scene which he saw), and knows that Maris was a great big dude who could've broken him in two even if he waited and surprised him, nevermind that from his notes other than his investigation into his memory loss he seems to act like he usually does in his 'lost' time.

I mean maybe he thinks the worms in the book are a hallucination or something, but I'd have a hard time thinking anyone in the same situation would jump to the conclusion they stabbed a dude to death for no reason and somehow didn't even get defensive wounds.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if she'll reforget that, or if it's just the supernatural event that fades and re-remembering it in a non-supernatural context means it'll stick.
Everyone remembers that the previous Zane is dead, so maybe it's just remembering the circumstances that's the issue.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I know the answer is "because then there's no story" but you kinda have to wonder why Zane doesn't just sell off the shop, pocket the money, and get the gently caress out of this weird town that is making him forget murders and being attacked by flesh-ripping zombie ghosts. I mean, getting his inheritance cleared up and transferred to his name kept him in town for the first book. He doesn't have a great reason to stick around now other than solving the obviously incredibly dangerous Scooby-Doo mystery.

Zane's not really a totally rational actor, but he's afraid of the correct things.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm more along the lines on the mayor being in on it if he knows it or not. The hollow face events probably really happened, with the shocker at the end being whatever was done to Zane to make him forget.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Owned.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The best part?

He's got no one to wake him up this time. :unsmigghh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I would imagine he got that in the forest during his trip with Maris. He already forgot the gash on his head from the first book.

How you'd forget a gross likely painful open-looking wound like that on a daily basis I dunno; I mean the cut on his head at least had the benefit of having been healed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It kinda comes off to me that Wadsworth -wants- to believe he did it for some reason.

Despite the 'lost' journal that indicates he was attacked by a loving skin-flaying skeleton, and seems to have sketches of the titular "angleworms" crawling out of the forest?

Nevermind he somehow got a laceration on his back and no weapon was present at the scene, nor could he have laid a hand on Maris if he even wanted to? Wadsworth is obviously hosed in the head/severely OCD/unreliable narrator but I don't see how you wouldn't come to the conclusion you and Maris were attacked by something in the woods.

I mean, even if I was paranoid as poo poo I'd be more scared of a creepy unknown monster in the woods that apparently attacked and killed my friend and wounded me than try to create an elaborate story in my head about how I could have rationalized and then executed my friend's murder?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

nimby posted:

I think Wadsworth is trying very hard to convince himself the creepy unknown monsters aren't actually real. He has forgotten all about the skin-flayer, right now he just thinks his nightmares are loving weird.
I might need to go back but didn't he detail the attack by the stitched man in his lost journal? The same journal that also has a drawing of what looks like worms crawling out of the forest?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

neogeo0823 posted:

Either into or out of the woods, yes. Interestingly, I think the three lines is not just some Mark Of The Beast type deal. Look closely at the worms. I think the three lines are actually tracks.
The three lines thing is loving everywhere and I dunno if it has any significance but lookit old Vergil's head here:

http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/page/2013/01/28/perusal/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Poison Mushroom posted:

Holy poo poo, good catch.
Also "three" seems to be a pretty constant pattern. Remember that the common greeting in town is saying Hello 3 times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So I imagine Mr. Novacek will be accused of Maris' murder and it'll be up to Zane to solve the Scooby Doo mystery because he "knows" he did it instead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno where he's getting the "You don't know yourselves" thing from. I could see someone being like, "Seriously, what in the gently caress us up with a TOWN having unique funeral rites?" but eh?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The old lady is no doubt evil somehow or whatever but I like how she can just poo poo all over the more annoying characters' gimmicks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still not getting how violently assaulting someone for no reason would be the conclusion you'd jump to for "I need to be really really scared".

And this is with me willfully ignoring the fact that he's already revealed the stupid 3-fanged worm things that obviously did it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why would that guy walk off into the forest again instead of directly back to town?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm not underwhelmed by it. It's pretty kickass actually.

And about 'unseen' monsters; the stitched man was pretty awesomely creepy too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's getting pretty rough. Wonder if they'll kill off another or all of the boys?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most of the stuff Zane saw in his dream where he "figured everything out" and here in the cave is sacred geometry.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MikeJF posted:

They had comparatively cheap and easy cameras in the 1930s, didn't they? Seems to me that Broodhollow could really use some.

Especially for when you find yourself in a situation like this.
Zane finds this in the back of his shop:

:unsmigghh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Unsounded started up again: http://www.unsoundedcomic.com

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Zane's onto something with "patterns" being a way to kinda deal with whatever the hell is under Broodhollow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the problem is more that they're trying to cope with whatever the horror is and not really bothering to try and find out what the hell is going on or to deal with it on a broader scale.

Or they could just leave!

seriously they should all get the hell out if at all possible

This is pretty much the problem with most of this horror stuff in that...you could just goddamn leave.

Zane I think might be hosed since he was having nightmares about Broodhollow before he even knew the place existed so maybe when it has its hooks in you, you're pretty much pot-committed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The bats were weird because the Bottlefly Boys literally seemed to see them AS normal bats while it was all going on. Zane yells that they're the size of cars, and one of them turns around and laughs and says, "If they were, we'd be in trouble!"

Meanwhile they certainly as gently caress knew that the angleworm wasn't normal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Straub has been afflicted with the sadbrains, so updates are probably not forthcoming in a fast manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Planchett is such a strongwilled rear end and a bit at odds with the town zeitgeist (he may be for tradition but he wants the town to expand and be profitable/noticeable) that he's probably one of the only really indoctrinated broodhollowans that will likely end up being a good guy.

• Locked thread