Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's kind of interesting how none of the villagers seem to be able to remember anything supernatural, as far as I can tell. I'd guess that all the strange rituals are remnants of protection rituals. Protecting them from the things that they cannot remember.

Though I'm kind of curious of the Skull and Shovels ritual is somewhat opposite of that. Either bringing/keeping supernatural things, or perhaps even the thing that keeps people from remembering stuff like the giant bats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It looks like being blindfolded is the only way to understand him as well. Well, unless it's painful for him to be seen.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I read it more as a "I can't explain any of this. Trying your interpretation/story is a good enough starting point to figuring out what is going on. Even if I don't believe it."

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
A new update.

And I already see something of note.

The stitching is now normal, not the fancy red threaded stuff. I doubt that's a mistake.

Which means something happened in the week gap. Or the remnants of the tailor ghost's influence went away. Or it has to do with everyone forgetting. Or even more mundane, someone took out the stitching and replaced it.

Hold on.

Looking back, the stitching is normal stitching back when the Bottlefly boys found 'em. And it's entirely gone when he's talking to the cop, only to return when he's asleep.

So either it's entirely in his head, some artist error, or Zane has some sort of subconscious power over reality. Or something that I'm not even thinking of.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I see.

There's no way this is going to end up helping him. Either he forgets enough of it to make it useless by the time he wakes up, or it doesn't make sense outside of dreams.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I re-read this book so far and I kinda skimmed over the fact that apparently something is heating the floor under Zane's shop. That's not something that was really used in small buildings back then.
I thought the same thing. Though it was more what was heating the floors. If it's just one of the mysteries, or just something Zane does off screen.

And I did a quick search and underfloor heating has apparently been a thing for way longer than I thought.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Was looking through book one and I found this.

Specifically the first panel.

And also every time he says he doesn't know how to play/doesn't know the rules, he's facing left.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Good morning.

Something occurred to me, that's a bit 'unresolved' at the moment. Not really related to the newest strip, but certainly the current overall story arc.

Whatever happened to that writer guy? Did he just book it after the whole angry yelling about 'it was murder' thing, never to be seen again?

Did he actually do the deed, or is he like Zane and thinks he did. Maybe Zane found him, brought him along to help record what happened. An outsider that wouldn't forget. But he did. And upon leaving Broodhollow he looked at his notes, found out that he wrote things he doesn't remember writing. And it implies that he saw someone get killed. But it's just vague enough that it could imply he did the killing. Or maybe it implies Zane did the killing.

So he heads back into Broodhollow, with only a scant few details. One of them being a man with a pet bat.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe everyone in Broodhollow has one of these things? Zane just happened to get a slightly different one. Or his body is rejecting it since he got it later in life. And so it's terrified.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
There's an awful lot of skeletons on the monster.

Maybe the Bottlefly Boys was an entire crew. Say 20 or so.

Perhaps enough to have a day crew, in addition to a night crew. And then something happened to the day crew, wiping it out entirely.

I can't remember was there a day crew in comic, or is it just the night crew?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

drat, that's a badass encyclopedia salesman!
He already sold all the encylopedias in book 5, when it turns out that it was key to stopping a monster.

But probably not in the way you'd think.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

nimby posted:

What does Broodhollow do? It makes you forget.

What does an encyclopedia do? It remembers for you.

Zane was meant to fight Broodhollow from birth.
That was actually part of what I was thinking.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The background is named "bh_back_angleworm.jpg". So I guess it's been that since the beginning of book 2? Wayback machine kind of confirms it's been there for quite awhile, all the way back since early in book 2.

This is like the bloodstains in the navigation all over again. Which also seem to have been there since the start of book 2.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I was going to quote myself saying that the whole 'scare me' thing in the last dream sequence might mean that he's been dreaming the entire time.

But then it appears I didn't actually post that. I guess I thought "Nah, couldn't be", since whenever I would have been posting, it would have been too much happening in the dream.

Now I'm not so sure.
Edit:

Zoe posted:

Never thought of how the actual literal definition of the words might apply before, but makes perfect sense. Even though I doubt giant evil bone wearing bugs are the only thing that's being bread down there.
That only makes me think of the world's most terrifying bakery.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think he tugged on it yet. He certainly got ready to, and his hands were shaking, but not actually pulling.

Cadavre putting his hand on Zane's shoulder freaked him out enough to not hold on, though. I'd say he might not even remember that tugging is safety at the moment.

Eschers Basement posted:

I think that's exactly what's going on here. A lot of the elements of this - the hole motif, the symbols and signs in red, the red lines, etc. - are things that have previously only appeared to Zane in dreams, and now it's topped off by the appearance of Cadavre, who also appeared and spoke to Zane in his dreams. Either Zane is still dreaming, or Zane's dreams are prophetic ties directly to this moment, and I think Cadavre speaks to it being the former, though Cadavre's eyes bleeding speak to something I don't know what the gently caress.
Yeah, it seems to be the explanation that makes the most sense at the moment. I just meant that I can't quote the post that I didn't make, but thought I did. There's probably a joke in there about Broodhollow and memory, but I can't think of it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
But how would Zane take a picture of this with undeveloped film?

The purpose of a camera is to let you take pictures, after all. :v:

(I'm just imagining Zane throwing film at monsters, and it somehow working.)

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Well, this was posted today, at least according to the upload date, which is weird because I remember seeing this exact page before.

...Oh God.
Well it is pretty similar to the other two book title pages.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Uh, so, that's scary, yet convenient, how they do that. :stare:
Yes, that's right.

When she said that they filled each others gaps in memory, I didn't think it would be like this. It took two people to remember someone's name.

It seems that there's a bit of 'noise', so that would explain why they have a confirmation phrase.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

That's a good point. Because holidays are a communal thing, they're constantly reminding each other of what happened and they don't lose them. It's like a larger automatic version of the 'hem' concept.
Well everyone forgot about the giant bats on that bell holiday. They turned into regular sized bats in memory. And I think Zane then forgot about the bats for awhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
It's a shame that he doesn't remember that the pattern helped the stitched together monster in. So yeah, this is going to bite him hard.

• Locked thread