Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I guess there's the downside to being a ghost rebuilding your corporeal body out of spare parts.

Those spare parts are vulnerable to a bat to the face. :black101:

Warning: The above spoiler contains a sort of pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Turns out your pun kinda... panned.

Yeah, didn't pan out as I hoped.

I'm wondering why she's crying while smacking his head off.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Dogbutt posted:

Now that this monster is gone, will just another pop up? Kinda like a "monster of the week thing" but way longer then a week?

There's still the huge tower-like ghost he saw in the rearview mirror when leaving the hospital.

Plus the secret society that seems stricken with amnesia when faced with tough questions.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Now that I think about it, who is going to believe them?

Wadsworth is a guy who's suffering from all kinds of mental stress.
Iris forgot her dad died for a month.
The Bottlefly boys are drunks.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Osgood's up to no good, he wants the house all to himself.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tenik posted:

That's an interesting silhouette in the final panel.

We've seen something like it before, only then I thought it was a towering ghost-thing in the distance. If it's not taller than a tree, I'm guessing that ghost must have followed them out of the hospital pretty fast.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

I wish there were more options at a lower tier of money, but hey for 6666 dollars a character based on you will be extremely important in a future story.

If I were a millionaire, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I'm a sucker for decent stories and plot-twists :(

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

We even have a smiley for that horrific face!

:aaaaa:

Zane is going to wake up, right?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

So, the hospital they visited in chapter one is outside of town and seems to be beyond the amnesia effect's influence, right?

After they left the hospital they saw the tower-demon thing, then at the end of the last chapter it was there again when he lost his memories. It's probably responsible for all the amnesia going around.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I wonder if his face was ripped off.

Police Report Cause of Death: Accidental Facial Implosion.

Case Closed.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone got copies of the original update pages? We need to make sure he isn't making us forget stuff.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

What was he doing in Broodhollow?

One of the demons of Broodhollow makes sure that whoever enters, never leaves. Wadsworth wasn't planning on sticking around before his memory got wiped.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

Putting breakables on the windowsill is actually kind of clever.

We had a break-in when I was 8 or something and my parents confiscated all my marbles to put them in a boxes around the windows and attached to the door with a string, as a cheap alarm system. They of course never went off unless someone got up early and forgot about them, waking everyone in the middle of the night.

What I'm saying is: He's going to get all tangled up in pots and pans.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I like how his suspenders are lines and red, just like the lines of blood.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Sharay posted:

Damnit Wadsworth, I thought you were making good progress on those neuroses of yours!

He is, he got them all under control by meticulously planning his whole life around them now! No more running around scared of every open cabinet!

Just terrible, terrible nightmares he needs to write down.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Zane is doing what I would do.

I HAVE TO KNOW

I don't know. If I knew I was dreaming while following a blood trail while being as paranoid as Mr. Zane, I'd imagine myself some Space Marine power armour.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

And he's not exactly going to have to put in any effort to be afraid all the time. He goes to sleep with a frying pan!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pen is mightier than the sword. Especially when you are in a town where there are ghosts stitching themselves a new body or eating memories.

Y'know, I am now wondering. Why was the mayor in Zane's first dream motioning Zane to be silent before his face imploded? Does subconcious Zane know concious Zane is setting himself up to get killed by talking too much?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Misses Isquith looks like she's been in one of Zane's dreams.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Crain posted:

True, it's the difference between looking at the train that's barreling down the tunnel towards you vs. being turned around, blindfolded, and with plugs in your ears. You're still probably not going to escape, but at least you have the chance.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

If it involves supernatural ghosts that stitch themselves a new body out of people they murdered or a giant ghost-pillar that does whatever the gently caress it does, I'd prefer ignorance.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure if I want to read on :gonk:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

You'd think that it'd be a bit more scandalous that he had Iris spend the night, given this is depression-era America.

Nobody's going to remember it happened, anyway.

Least of all Iris and Wadsworth.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Are we going to get a groundhog-day-like sequence where we see Wadsworth and Dr. Angstrom come up with more and more dream journals,

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

We can't even have Zane know, either, apparently.

Can we? Should we be on the lookout for a murderous Kris Straub?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Crain posted:

How many more comics do you guys think will pass before Maris is "Out of town for a couple of days".

He's just helping Iris' dad with a few things, nothing to worry about.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I still don't get why Zane is convinced he did it when he has drawings of the worms coming out of the forest in his notebook apparently, found the notebook but found no apparent weapon at his place (nor was there one at the scene which he saw), and knows that Maris was a great big dude who could've broken him in two even if he waited and surprised him, nevermind that from his notes other than his investigation into his memory loss he seems to act like he usually does in his 'lost' time.

I mean maybe he thinks the worms in the book are a hallucination or something, but I'd have a hard time thinking anyone in the same situation would jump to the conclusion they stabbed a dude to death for no reason and somehow didn't even get defensive wounds.

I'm 95% sure he didn't kill Maris, but consider the following:

Those are probably drawings of his nightmares. He forgot all about the previous murder-ghost (who he apparently also wrote about, so this forgetting was already happening while we were following him in the comic at the start). Plus, even a big dude is going to fall over like a sack of meat if hit on the head hard enough.

Zane is paranoid at the best of times, give him a vague hint of something benign and he'll imagine it is going to be the worst thing possible for himself.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I know the answer is "because then there's no story" but you kinda have to wonder why Zane doesn't just sell off the shop, pocket the money, and get the gently caress out of this weird town that is making him forget murders and being attacked by flesh-ripping zombie ghosts. I mean, getting his inheritance cleared up and transferred to his name kept him in town for the first book. He doesn't have a great reason to stick around now other than solving the obviously incredibly dangerous Scooby-Doo mystery.

He's sticking around because he doesn't remember the zombie ghost or the general anxiety he felt when first arriving. Plus Iris.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

His thought process: "Try to one-up MY generous offer to pay for the funeral, eh? I'll show them!"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, we know Iris' dad is just out of town for a couple of days.

Right now he's dead. Broodhollow is just waiting for the new season to start to reboot their memories and have him be "alive" again.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Isquith talking about laws makes me really wonder just how much the oldest generation of Broodhollow knows about what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if she knows pretty much everything :unsmigghh:

Her face is starting to collapse into itself.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Wadsworth is actually a serial killer and broodhollow is his purgatory, like the island in Lost.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I just realized why Zane has backpain in his nightmare. He used to have it due to lugging around that big chest with encyclopaedia books. Nowadays he's using it to lug around corpses.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm trying to help people in distress but my (IRL badly injured) back gives out and my throat closes up so bad I can barely whisper so the last few strips are really making me :stonk:

Have you checked your spine for possession by evil ghosts?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I mean, even if I was paranoid as poo poo I'd be more scared of a creepy unknown monster in the woods that apparently attacked and killed my friend and wounded me than try to create an elaborate story in my head about how I could have rationalized and then executed my friend's murder?

I think Wadsworth is trying very hard to convince himself the creepy unknown monsters aren't actually real. He has forgotten all about the skin-flayer, right now he just thinks his nightmares are loving weird.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I might need to go back but didn't he detail the attack by the stitched man in his lost journal? The same journal that also has a drawing of what looks like worms crawling out of the forest?

He had detailed his nightmares about the ghost unfaced killer, he has no current reason to believe it was actually real.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

the better question is, what started this tradition :unsmigghh:

They had a ghost that stole body parts and hated being looked at. Maybe they sympathized with his predicament and wants to be accommodating.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Writer guy is going to get brutally murdered by a ghost.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Novacek makes a good point. Why would the Sawmill have 3 big brutish guys working the night shift all by themselves? Especially when the 3 guys had no problem fighting huge demon-like bats.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

For a minute I thought it was Zane lying there. Which would have been a nice twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Cht. Cht Cht Cht Cht.

I guess that sounds like a ghostly angleworm that haunts a local forest.

• Locked thread