Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was first drawn to Broodhollow because I have OCD symptoms, and what Wadsworth suffers from at the start of the comic before coming to Broodhollow is basically plain old straightforward heavy OCD - the patterns ('rituals' is what they're usually called), the vague but intense feeling of unease if unfulfilled, the linking it to some irrational and unconnected outcome...

Mine was doors related, too. Which makes the part where it actually came true way more horrifying to read. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

If it seems especially genuine, that's because it is - Straub has said before that Wadsworth's troubles are to some extent based on his own "superstitions" as he calls them.

Y'know, 'superstitions' was what I called my OCD rituals when I was young, before I learned what they were called professionally. (I knew they weren't like normal superstitions but I didn't have any better words)

I can't help sort of wondering how much it's taking out of him to show Wadsworth's rituals failing him, or if it instead helps in some way, though that's a pretty personal thing to think about a total stranger.

I would hope it's helping, or at the very least it's not hurting...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asgerd posted:

Update. Those cartoony stars for the smash effect seem somewhat out of place.

Honestly, they wouldn't seem out of place if we were in Normal Broodhollow, but a little bit so in Shading Broodhollow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Another update

Looks like this motley crew of heroes is finely on the same page (or something)

Well, kinda on the same page. This is less of an 'I'll believe you' and more of an 'I'll pat you on the head and humour you'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've nicknamed it the barad-dur demon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, well. gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Notice the half-open medicine cabinet, though? By ghost-free real-world standards, it's very good that that doesn't bother him anymore, but in this comic it kind of invites question, for all that Maddy turned out to not be the real threat. There's a fair amount to wonder about here!

I think it's just the way the mirror on the cabinet stands out from the wall, judging by the lines. I don't think it's open.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Leper Colon V posted:

A part of me thinks it makes perfect sense. Better than selling parts of an encyclopedia nobody wants.

Mostly, it's probably because it basically requires him completely forget everything about the first book.

Don't forget that did, in fact, happen on the last page of book one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FATHER WHAT AAA

Oh, poor Iris. :smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So, the hospital they visited in chapter one is outside of town and seems to be beyond the amnesia effect's influence, right?

They must have quite a few very confused conversations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's the genesis of this thing. When you have OCD, you know that something horrible is going to happen if you don't do what you need to, even if you know that's not actually the case. But what if it was true

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh poo poo. Well that looks... full.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Three lines of blood. :psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't worry, they'll forget about this soon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cryophage posted:

Zane is facing left as he browbeats the doctor. Is the left/right facing bit still a thing?

I doubt that Kris would've told us about it if it was still happening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

He's just helping Iris' dad with a few things, nothing to worry about.

I wonder if she'll reforget that, or if it's just the supernatural event that fades and re-remembering it in a non-supernatural context means it'll stick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda doubt it, but maybe. But it seems to me that the comic has one primary and two main secondary characters, and it seems early to kill one off.

Then again, Straub's already shown he'll be deliberately loving with narrative and pacing, so he may well do something like that to throw us off our game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 23, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Never underestimate the verbal beatdown a pissed off little old lady can give you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WELL OKAY THEN

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The font colours in panel 4 disturb me greatly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo look at the size of that pile of bones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact it's apparently standalone is a lot less scary than when I thought it was festering inside Zane like some kind of parasite.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It has a little three-pronged thing coming out of its mouth, doesn't it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh. I thought it was like the inner mouth of an Alien alien. :eng99:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When I saw this my reaction was 'I don't know what this portends but it feels bad'.

I guess that just says it's Broodhollow, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It leads to the inside of Zane's head, that's why he's been hearing voices.

The hole he keeps seeing in his dreams is the other end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zoe posted:

Unrelated to today's comic, but this has been bugging me forever: is there a clear image anywhere of the background of the Broodhollow comments section? It looks like headlines from a newspaper with the occasional bit of spooooky magical runes mixed in, and I've never been able to pick out more than a couple of words.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shedrakzo posted:

He's certainly getting to be pretty brave.

I think he's more unstable, obsessive and kinda cracking about the whole thing right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So every one of the rock piles has a hovering blue light above it with a trademark Broodhollow horizontal blue lens flare.

And the markings definitely resemble the... tall ring-of-lights monster... but it ain't made of a pile of stones.

Also, there's solid shadows going on here. Whatever he's looking at is bright, brighter than any of the other sources.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 8, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I dunno, sacred geometry tends to be a lot more symmetric or patterned, this looks more informational.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 10, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had comparatively cheap and easy cameras in the 1930s, didn't they? Seems to me that Broodhollow could really use some.

Especially for when you find yourself in a situation like this.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 11, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes, that's right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

My guess is the people of Broodhollow only really 'live' during the more memorable moments, such as traditional holidays. All the time in between they tend to forget.

That's a good point. Because holidays are a communal thing, they're constantly reminding each other of what happened and they don't lose them. It's like a larger automatic version of the 'hem' concept.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zoe posted:

Well that was an abrupt change in tone.

Is basically Broodhollow summed up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

khy posted:

Considering one of them took handwritten notes about everything that's been happening and STILL ended up forgetting.... I am not sure that pictures would be all that helpful.

The Broodhollow renaissance comes with the advent of Google Glass. The only place it's adopted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Iunno. It might not be the most striking horror concept, but at least it doesn't look like the fakest, goofiest digital effects ever, like almost every youtube 'horror' video.

Plus it didn't devolve to a loving jump scare or sudden noise

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, Broodhollow is still on Hiatus, but on the upside, Candle Cove is going to TV for a six-episode series.

quote:

NEW YORK – November 18, 2015 – Syfy announced today that it has greenlit a new limited anthology series, CHANNEL ZERO, from Nick Antosca (Hannibal, Friday the 13th, Teen Wolf) and Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra). Universal Cable Productions will serve as the studio for this twelve-hour order, which will air on Syfy in two self-contained, six-episode seasons in Fall 2016 and Fall 2017 as the centerpiece of the channel’s annual 31 Days of Halloween programming event.

The first installment of CHANNEL ZERO is set to debut with the six-part Candle Cove, based on an unnerving tale written by Kris Straub which gained notoriety online as a popular “creepypasta” (user-generated horror stories that are published and passed around the internet). Candle Cove centers on one man’s obsessive recollections of a mysterious children’s television program from the 1980s – and his ever-growing suspicions about the role it might have played in a series of nightmarish and deadly events from his childhood.

Apparently Straub's not involved in production but he says he's happy with the team that's taken it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Few behind, but somehow this is both creepy and uplifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Samovar posted:

Which old Greek guy bitched about writing stuff down made people more complacent about remembering stuff again? ( Yes, I am aware of the irony)

That's actually probably not wrong; it's thought the advent of literacy causes a reduction in average memory retention ability. Obviously the benefits outweigh the trade-offs dramatically.

• Locked thread