Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got an email apologizing and asking for my availability for tomorrow. Hope lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fil5000 posted:

Neither is good. They're either not that fussed about you or their processes are crap

woooooo

I'll give em another day before taking the other offer

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

dpkg chopra posted:

Got an email apologizing and asking for my availability for tomorrow. Hope lives on.

That's the ticket.

In other news, I've got a 5 hour onsite today where I'm speaking with 9 different people in various panel / 1:1 interviews. Wish me luck, goons.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That’s insane. Good luck!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that sounds fairly reasonable for a senior HR leader

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

Had the interview. It went well but for the sake of my sanity I’m going to assume that I’ll never hear from them again.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Just got the (verbal) offer for my internal transfer! I was a bit worried about the timing, since I was going to get promoted to lead next month in my current role, but it sounds like my current & soon-to-be bosses both advocated v hard for that to be taken into account.

It’s a 25% increase in pay, and a role I’m very excited about - data science, but entirely focused on game design, truly so specifically targeted towards me & my skill set. I think I’m technically on the low end of the salary band for the role, but to be fair this is the end of my 2nd year working after going back to school so I mean I’m not mad! This is also a role that usually requires a MS/PhD on top of 2-5 YoE so truly it does make sense, I think I’ll just have to make sure my salary doesn’t get too anchored by this. A very common move is to go to FAANG for a few years and then boomerang back here, but hopefully won’t be necessary. I also get to keep my years at the company for accruing more annual weeks of PTO, which is great - I think I’m a year off 3 weeks, and then two more after that for 4?

Thanks to everyone in the thread for the resume help and interview tips, it’s very very appreciated.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I got a rejection letter from a job I applied to two months ago and Gmail is like hey put an emote to "reply quickly and add personality."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

DTaeKim posted:

I got a rejection letter from a job I applied to two months ago and Gmail is like hey put an emote to "reply quickly and add personality."

Which one?

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
So, I got laid off in January due to bankruptcy and have been having a hell of a time finding a new gig. I have over twenty years experience in enterprise IT architecture and have never *ever* had a problem finding work.

I've went through and updated for ATS, removed all weird formatting, and kinda at my witts end understanding why no callbacks, any advice on the resume below?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA3qr7aAhkfZ2tCvF_6AtAw76vVWn-JI/view?usp=sharing

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dirty Beluga posted:

So, I got laid off in January due to bankruptcy and have been having a hell of a time finding a new gig. I have over twenty years experience in enterprise IT architecture and have never *ever* had a problem finding work.

I've went through and updated for ATS, removed all weird formatting, and kinda at my witts end understanding why no callbacks, any advice on the resume below?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dA3qr7aAhkfZ2tCvF_6AtAw76vVWn-JI/view?usp=sharing

4 pages feels like a bit much. Try name and header on the first page only, drop leadership section (let your work history to show that), try to limit each job history to 5 or so bullet points, etc.

Also, this thread is full of "I've never had this much trouble finding a job before." That's just how it is lately. It's not just you.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

wash bucket posted:

4 pages feels like a bit much. Try name and header on the first page only, drop leadership section (let your work history to show that), try to limit each job history to 5 or so bullet points, etc.

I thought four pages is a bit much as well, however its hard to fit as many things as i've done one or two pages.

Good call on showing the leadership stuff through work... though, I've gotten positions from the volunteer section and hiring managers being interested in me because of the places listed...

I'm hesitant to ditch it entirely, always assumed seeing volunteer works helps stand out as well as get it across i am not an unpleasant cave troll to be around / give back to the community.

Dirty Beluga fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 19, 2024

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Dirty Beluga posted:

I thought four pages is a bit much as well, however its hard to fit as many things as i've done one or two pages.

Good call on showing the leadership stuff through work... though, I've gotten positions from the volunteer section and hiring managers being interested in me because of the places listed...

I'm hesitant to ditch it entirely, always assumed seeing volunteer works helps stand out as well as get it across i am not an unpleasant cave troll to be around / give back to the community.

If you feel that strongly about it you can just put a one liner in your summary about your volunteer experience and delete the volunteer section, saving 3" of space.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dirty Beluga posted:

Dirty Beluga posted:

Although I've hired 5 or 6 software devs, I havent hired people at or applied to positions at the level you're at, so grain of salt.

Overall:
Its not horrible, imma roast you in the spirit of helping and fun but its not awful or anything.

Job Hunting thoughts:
- Where are you finding jobs through? What % of applications more than 1 week old end up with a phone screen or better? How many total applications have you made?
- If interested in startups, suggest Work at a Startup for applications.
- What levels are you applying to?

Resume Thoughts:
- 4 Pages is indeed a bit much. Theres plenty of fat to be trimmed. In that spirit...
-- Reach each job or paragraph and ask yourself "how can I say the same thing but with fewer words?"
-- Get "Profile" from 3 lines to 2.
--Your long list of core competencies say "this person is a bullshitter" to me. You probably arent that competent at this wide ranging of core competencies. Theres no way youre an AWS SME with who authored the PM BoK is the originator of several CVEs and has lawyer level knowledge of FINRA and HIPAA. Your core competencies shouldn't be 15 things and no way I'm reading all of these. Figure out which ones are most desirable for the jobs you're applying for an tailor this so its 2 lines long, not 5 lines long.
-- "Over #" is weasel wording, just say the number it sounds stronger.
- Youre a manager with an 11 person team but dont mention hiring and firing, couple talk mroe about people ops if youre going for manager/director positions.
-- The most recent job reads like a front line manager with 11 direct reports who is taking a lot of credit for their technical achievements. A little mixed messaging. Go for "I'm a manager" or "I'm an architect", have two resumes if you are applying to both.
- Include a one liner for the 04-08 and 10-15 jobs

...Theres more but i ran out of steam after page 1 and 4. Get this poo poo to two pages. You dont need the AA you got 15 years ago.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

Although I've hired 5 or 6 software devs, I havent hired people at or applied to positions at the level you're at, so grain of salt.

Overall:
Its not horrible, imma roast you in the spirit of helping and fun but its not awful or anything.

Job Hunting thoughts:
- Where are you finding jobs through? What % of applications more than 1 week old end up with a phone screen or better? How many total applications have you made?
- If interested in startups, suggest Work at a Startup for applications.
- What levels are you applying to?

Resume Thoughts:
- 4 Pages is indeed a bit much. Theres plenty of fat to be trimmed. In that spirit...
-- Reach each job or paragraph and ask yourself "how can I say the same thing but with fewer words?"
-- Get "Profile" from 3 lines to 2.
--Your long list of core competencies say "this person is a bullshitter" to me. You probably arent that competent at this wide ranging of core competencies. Theres no way youre an AWS SME with who authored the PM BoK is the originator of several CVEs and has lawyer level knowledge of FINRA and HIPAA. Your core competencies shouldn't be 15 things and no way I'm reading all of these. Figure out which ones are most desirable for the jobs you're applying for an tailor this so its 2 lines long, not 5 lines long.
-- "Over #" is weasel wording, just say the number it sounds stronger.
- Youre a manager with an 11 person team but dont mention hiring and firing, couple talk mroe about people ops if youre going for manager/director positions.
-- The most recent job reads like a front line manager with 11 direct reports who is taking a lot of credit for their technical achievements. A little mixed messaging. Go for "I'm a manager" or "I'm an architect", have two resumes if you are applying to both.
- Include a one liner for the 04-08 and 10-15 jobs

...Theres more but i ran out of steam after page 1 and 4. Get this poo poo to two pages. You dont need the AA you got 15 years ago.

This is excellent feedback and appreciated. Thank you. I'm burnt out today but 100% will go back and make some of the changes suggested.
In my defense though, my last position i literally did manage a team of 11 and greenfield datacenters with them, and build out our azure strategy - if you have any way to make it sounds less like im a cheesy frontline manager I'd love some pointers. :)

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
Got laid off this past month at my first EE job due to the company not meeting delivery dates. I worked there for a year handling firmware for their products and was looking at advice on my resume. The kicker for me is the fault was earlier in the dev cycle so I never got to push *my* updated firmware and see it launch as well as provide the needed testing. My year there i did alot of documentation of the existing firmware as well as test and integrate new devices/code for the planned launch. I think not seeing the launch and only a year experience looks bad so any feedback welcomed. Im looking for another job in the same vein of EE/firmware dev

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NxvGwImpgM3x13L_XECTvc3SdYEPoXlH/view?usp=sharing

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Spambort posted:

Got laid off this past month at my first EE job due to the company not meeting delivery dates. I worked there for a year handling firmware for their products and was looking at advice on my resume. The kicker for me is the fault was earlier in the dev cycle so I never got to push *my* updated firmware and see it launch as well as provide the needed testing. My year there i did alot of documentation of the existing firmware as well as test and integrate new devices/code for the planned launch. I think not seeing the launch and only a year experience looks bad so any feedback welcomed. Im looking for another job in the same vein of EE/firmware dev

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NxvGwImpgM3x13L_XECTvc3SdYEPoXlH/view?usp=sharing

Your link is not publicly viewable. You should change permissions to "share to people that have link" if you want feedback here.

As a junior, your experience is what it is. Don't think it's bad in a vacuum. It's great compared to someone fresh out of school. One thing I've learned is that finding a job is about finding a match. If there's a company out there that is looking for a junior, YOU actually have a better shot at landing it than a senior applying for the same role. Don't beat yourself up trying to compete with seniors, focus on finding the right match.

Finally, I think Framework is an interesting company to work for and they are looking for firmware engineers. If you aren't a great fit right now, keep the criteria in mind and focus on gaining experience in the areas where you are lacking. https://jobs.lever.co/framework/36bcbf61-332d-4ab8-8c6d-20fffa1ef506

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

Mantle posted:

Your link is not publicly viewable. You should change permissions to "share to people that have link" if you want feedback here.

As a junior, your experience is what it is. Don't think it's bad in a vacuum. It's great compared to someone fresh out of school. One thing I've learned is that finding a job is about finding a match. If there's a company out there that is looking for a junior, YOU actually have a better shot at landing it than a senior applying for the same role. Don't beat yourself up trying to compete with seniors, focus on finding the right match.

Finally, I think Framework is an interesting company to work for and they are looking for firmware engineers. If you aren't a great fit right now, keep the criteria in mind and focus on gaining experience in the areas where you are lacking. https://jobs.lever.co/framework/36bcbf61-332d-4ab8-8c6d-20fffa1ef506

ah oops. fixed the link. thanks for the info!

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Drug industry job, Bayer.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dirty Beluga posted:

Quality over quantity. Punch as hard as you can in the first page or two. Job applications these days get hundreds of resumes so you need to stand out quick. Save the rest for the interview.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dirty Beluga posted:

I'm going to re-enforce but you fell into the trap that you think the resume police will arrest you unless you only use 1 static resume for everything.

You need at least 2 resumes (manager with good technical chops + architect who can manage people) and you need to use the right one of those for each job. In addition, every week there should be 4-5 jobs that you take some real time to tailor your resume to the posting and potentially even write a custom cover letter for (if appropriate). Don't do that for every job, you'll burn out, but for dream jobs or good fit jobs you should. For the rest use one of your 2+ generic ones that fit better.

It's a weird time but I think if you tighten this up you'll find something.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd recommend polishing up your LinkedIn profile too, I got 3x as many interviews from recruiters and hiring managers that contacted me on there than I did from cold applications. It's also how I eventually ended up landing a job.

I paid a resume service to make me a new resume and improve my LinkedIn profile. In regard to LinkedIn, they put a lot of effort into writing a good About section that really gets into who I am and what I have to offer. Each role I've had has the typical quantitative resume bullets and also linked to all the relevant skills that you can select on LinkedIn.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
What resume service did you use? I'm thinking about getting Parahexavoctal in SA Mart to help me update mine.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I used seattleresumes.com, which I believe is part of getresumehelp.com, or they're ran by the same person anyway. Job Market Solutions is the company.

I got waaaay more responses and messages immediately after using the resume and linkedin rewrite they made for me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mustang posted:

I'd recommend polishing up your LinkedIn profile too, I got 3x as many interviews from recruiters and hiring managers that contacted me on there than I did from cold applications. It's also how I eventually ended up landing a job.

I paid a resume service to make me a new resume and improve my LinkedIn profile. In regard to LinkedIn, they put a lot of effort into writing a good About section that really gets into who I am and what I have to offer. Each role I've had has the typical quantitative resume bullets and also linked to all the relevant skills that you can select on LinkedIn.

Do you remember what service you used?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dirty Beluga posted:

I'm late to the party here, but I don't think I saw anyone say this: Universalize your grammar. On your first heading, I see the first two bullets are present tense and then for the third point you switch to past tense. In the second heading, it starts present tense and the second starts with a verb but it looks like an adverb which is even worse! This is not me being a picky fucker; this is a direct barrier to the readability of your resume. Any potential hurdles should be removed if at all possible.

The typical rule is that your bullet points should start with a verb in the past-tense: AKA an action word ending in -ED. Developed, managed, committed, accomplished, devised, directed, created, restored, adopted, deployed, oversaw, authored, etc. It's fine if the proper past tense is an exception like 'sold', as it's past tense and grammatically correct. (i.e. Led, not Lead. I don't really like 'Led' anyway.)

Beyond that, I have no idea how to carve this behemoth into something reasonably sized except that I agree with what Lockback said about customizing for positions.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think anything older than 5 years can be a 2-3 sentence paragraph.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I used https://seattleresumes.com/ but the same people also run https://getresumehelp.com/contact-us/. Not sure why they have 2 different sites for the same service.

They talk to you over the phone a few times and send you a bunch of forms to fill out on their site. Lots of in-depth questions about yourself, your career, and your goals. They use all that stuff to write your resume and profile.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

Had the interview. It went well but for the sake of my sanity I’m going to assume that I’ll never hear from them again.

Got an email this morning with a skill assessment.

90 minutes “on the honor system”, but Word tracks the document editing time and I honestly did not feel like going through the motions of editing my system’s settings or the document’s properties to pretend I took less than I did.

Pray for me Goons, I did my best.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dpkg chopra posted:

Got an email this morning with a skill assessment.

90 minutes “on the honor system”, but Word tracks the document editing time and I honestly did not feel like going through the motions of editing my system’s settings or the document’s properties to pretend I took less than I did.

Pray for me Goons, I did my best.

FYI .docx files are .zip files so chances are the editing time is stored in plain text jn one of the xml files in the zip.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That’s good to know, thanks.

It’s fine, the whole point was to see whether I could redline or not and what sort of issues I would bring up.

If me going over by 10 minutes was going to be an issue then it was never going to work out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I rarely send take home work for an interview but on the few times I did I set time limits for the candidates sake, not mine. I want to give them the out of "Well I was on a time crunch so this wasn't up to my usual quality because XYZ", talking about those things is usually more interesting anyway.

I would expect they not really care what the time actually is on the edits.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, here it’s a bit annoying because I applied to this role through an external recruiter who is now intermediating all my contact with the HM.

She told me to send my redlines to her directly and not worry about getting to everything in the allotted time as the point is to see how I approach the problem. I then sent her the file with a comment about how some areas I would have added more redlines if I’d had more time, and she asked whether I wanted to take more time to do so.

Like, make up your mind.

I did add some additional redlines but at some point it’s like, what are we doing.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Mustang posted:

I used https://seattleresumes.com/ but the same people also run https://getresumehelp.com/contact-us/. Not sure why they have 2 different sites for the same service.

They talk to you over the phone a few times and send you a bunch of forms to fill out on their site. Lots of in-depth questions about yourself, your career, and your goals. They use all that stuff to write your resume and profile.

I reached out these people and they were very awesome and didn't make up an excuse to take my money. Did a quick review and said everything looks pretty good and just wrote me up some small corrections.

Still asked for a cover letter, but I am SO lost there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

Still asked for a cover letter, but I am SO lost there.

Someone in this thread told me that AI chat bots are perfect for cover letter templates and it turned out they were right. They really nail that HR tone for... reasons.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best way to tell recruiters who you've been working with for months that have surprisingly got you a job that you need time to weigh other opportunities or decline the offer?

Or hell, what's the best way to tell people no :ohdear:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

To say no: "I'm sorry, at this time I have found an opportunity that is a better fit for myself." You can always ghost but I'm a golden rule kinda guy and I hate when that happens to me so I think a more direct approach is better to learn long term.

To ask for more time: "I received a offer that I am considering and I'll need x days to weigh my options". Again, direct.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just an hour ago had someone I'd hired to start tomorrow email me to rescind her acceptance of the offer, saying she got a better offer at the last minute.

Okay, well. Better that than spending a few weeks training her and then having her jump, I guess. I hope the better offer wasn't a counter/agreement to match from the employer she'd just given notice to. But it probably was.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lockback posted:

To say no: "I'm sorry, at this time I have found an opportunity that is a better fit for myself." You can always ghost but I'm a golden rule kinda guy and I hate when that happens to me so I think a more direct approach is better to learn long term.

To ask for more time: "I received a offer that I am considering and I'll need x days to weigh my options". Again, direct.

I like the last bit. I too hate ghosting people and I refuse to do it out of principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There’s a special place in hell for recruiters that ghost people. Made even worse because there’s no upside for the candidate to get rightfully mad at them, you just got to suck it up.