Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick question: what is a good font for resumes? Currently I am using Times New Roman, which I am guessing is not great.

I used Arial on my most recent CV I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

lol internet. posted:

Dumb question when a company wants to give you a job offer, do they still tell you verbally? or do some just send an email? I actually can't even remember how my last couple places offered a job to me.

Every job offer I have received has been over the phone and in writing, I guess if they give it to you over the phone they know you are aware of the offer from that point on

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but here goes.

In the time period between completing University and actually getting a job, is there anything that I could do that might make me a more attractive prospect for a potential employer?

Volunteer, travel, join a sports team. Literally anything other than doing gently caress all can be spun to look good

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

loki k zen posted:

So I've been applying for jobs online and as a part of this ended up having my CV on some of these job sites so it is searchable to employers; didn't really expect anything to come of that since I'm a new graduate in a not-very-job-getting degree subject (Theatre) with little work experience.

I've been contacted by a recruitment firm called Holland and Tisdall about working for them (they left me a voicemail and and email). I haven't indicated in any way that I have experience in recruitment or that I'm looking to work in recruitment. The email comes with a bunch of docs talking about how awesome working in recruitment is (with exclamation marks!) and an offer to refer them other people and if they hire them I get £250.

I'm... very dubious. The only thing I've ever seen try to recruit me so hard is multilevel marketing scams. I am just not, on paper, the kind of candidate that you would seek out and try really hard to recruit. I can't help thinking this is some kind of scam...

Recruitment agencies are just glorified sales positions that have a massive turnaround of staff, it's probably not a scam but might not be the most enjoyable job

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My company just posted a permanent job opening that is exactly what I do now as a contractor. I'm only 2 months in to my 6 month contract, can I apply for it and bail from my contract if I get it? Will that burn bridges with my recruiter?

Why don't you speak to the company about this? It's possible that the recruiter will get a large fee if you move from contract work to permanent work but no harm in asking someone if you'd be interested imo