Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I just found out this week that my resume is apparently completely un-indicative of my work experience. I'm teaching a college class and the coordinator basically told me "Wow, you didn't mention X thing or X role on your resume and I would've given you a longer stint/residency period if I knew". I basically cut down my combo art CV / resume to just under two pages, but I smooshed all my gallery showings in a tiny paragraph and cut out a lot of my work experience, like TA-ing. My question is: Is it appropriate, specifically in academia/the arts, to have a CV that's 3 to 4 pages? I can't keep squishing poo poo in there and I'm incredibly worried I'll look like a tool or a poser if it's 3 or 4 pages. I've got about 10 years' work experience in my field but only done the academia thing for 2.

I feel dumb as poo poo because I know I need to cut stuff but I keep getting rejected from roles because the stuff I cut turned out to be important :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Upgrade posted:

Yes my CV when I worked in academia was edit: actually 18 pages

You put everything in. Everything. Every presentation, every committee you’ve served on, all of your service, etc.

For a Dean level position in an easier publishing field I would see CVs 50 pages or more.

Well poo poo, there's my problem! Time to update the resume!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Hey Resume thread! I could use some help trimming this bad boy down to 2 pages. I'm looking to re-enter game dev (I know. I know.) after doing 8 years in the industry, quitting, doing comics full-time, having a medical issue that knocked me out for a couple years, and then putting out a successful indie game last year. I mostly do systems design & narrative design for single player games, but I got my start in QA analysis and am super happy to do that too. I realize I'm trying to get back into the industry in the WORST POSSIBLE TIME IMAGINABLE, but it's literally the only thing I've done professionally besides freelancing comics since 2009 and I love this industry to death, so - please help me take a scythe to this resume and get it 2024-ready? :shobon:

Alternatively, if you know of OTHER industries where this skill set might come in useful, I'm all ears! I'm pretty much just focused on making enough money to stay alive at this point, so any suggestions are welcome!

https://imgur.com/a/5UwkeYZ

edit: realized immediately my shipped games list should probably be on page 1, I'm super rusty
double edit: redacted info no longer looks like the FBI took a big ol marker to it

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 6, 2024

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Thanks for the feedback goons, it was SUPER helpful!! Gonna take a metaphorical hatchet to those bullet points today.

Also, I am a big ol idiot who can't find the Game Jobs megathread :(

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Hey Resume thread!! First of all, holy poo poo, thank you for your advice, my resume is looking much better!!

I have an informational interview at a AA game studio at some point in the near future and I'm wondering what to expect - one of my friends passed my resume along to their recruitment department and their senior recruitment head wants to have a chat with me, which probably bodes well, but I'm not sure what an informational interview entails (is it kind of like a phone screen, or ??)

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lockback posted:

Very good call out. People like to talk about their company, themselves, etc. People like people who let them do that. Make sure to have some questions.

Chewbecca posted:

I agree, I think it's good to have a solid narrative about your career journey, and be prepared with some questions about what you are hoping your career will look like and the organisation you're meeting with

Cover all the bases, because you don't know what their assumptions are

Good call y'all - I'm actually a huge fan of the company and I'm trying not to sound TOO gushy, but it's definitely one of my dream places to work (creatively and managerially, luckily my job experience matches up with companies of that size/type). I've got a lot of questions about their pipeline/design dept/etc, how do I ask questions without sounding TOO enthusiastic/is there such a thing as too enthusiastic?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Just wanted to thank y'all for the informational interview advice a couple weeks ago! It went great I think, Senior Recruiter at Lt Dan's Dream Company called my work experience impressive, gave me a ton of actionable advice and asked me to re-email my resume when I'd edited it with his changes/suggestions. They said they didn't have open QA Analyst positions right this second (their team is WAY smaller than industry standard) but would let me know when they did, said it was a viable pathway back into systems design for me (whether here or at another AA), AND said if I applied anywhere else in game dev I could send them an email and they'd make an introduction for me. :shobon: I was even super upfront about wanting to use QA to re-acclimate to the game industry after being away for so long and he was like, "that's actually a great selling point" and gave me a shitton of interview pointers and basically expressed actual, real-deal enthusiasm about helping me get back into AA again and to keep in contact. I'll be emailing him again this week with my new resume!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Sorry for double-posting, but I finally have my QA Analyst resume ready. Do y'all mind taking an axe to it? The advice I got from the recruiter I'm trying to impress was to try and keep it to one page, emphasize the QA over systems/narrative design even though I'm hoping to make a move back into design after doing QA for a couple years to reacclimate, and that I'm far enough along in my career to not have my education at the top any more, so it's a bit of a balancing act re: the one page thing.

https://imgur.com/a/x9UMyyS

(Also, shout out to this entire forum for basically helping me realize how badly I wanted to be back in AA again!)

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lockback posted:

This looks pretty good. I don't know that you need to cut it to 1 page, honestly. You have two relevant but different job paths that are spelled out, a number of accomplishments that are worth calling out, education, etc. I think you have a worthy 1.5 pager. If you wanted to cut down you can pare back your game dev info, most of that is impressive but not really going to help with QA. You may want to do an excerise to make a "QA" resume and "Game Designer" resume and just have them seperate.

Couple notes:

1. You look a bit light on tech skills for QA. I understand the game industry is different but at my place when I look for QA I am also looking for automation skills. I see one of the literal last words is Python, you may want to highlight those skills.

2. You are kinda somewhere between a QA person and a scrum master/release manager/product owner. In fact product owner is maybe the job you actually want. Again, I'd put Jira, Agile, and such in a more prominent position.

3. Maybe look up product owner (I dunno if that exists in the game world) and maybe think about a 3rd resume geared toward that/release manager.

Sweet, thank you! Moved the technical skills up front and made the Agile/Jira/Python specifically clearer. Gonna take a look at product owner / release manager jobs shortly, if there's one thing I'm good at it's keeping things shipping on-schedule :v:

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Lockback posted:

3. Maybe look up product owner (I dunno if that exists in the game world) and maybe think about a 3rd resume geared toward that/release manager.

Circling back to this b/c I got asked to submit my resume for an Agile Project Manager for mobile games b/c I have a stellar ship record & lead role experience :cheers: They're looking for someone mid-level, with games experience, to ship a project. I am 100000000% sure I can do this job and knock it out of the park, I've basically had to do this job on TOP of my normal job b/c I've worked with producers who don't do poo poo, I've shadowed a producer who does this job, I just need to make sure I am:

1. Highlighting the fact that I know how to run a loving Agile workflow for a mobile game, and
2. Drawing a clear line that I am capable of pivoting into the producer role (which my IRL experience speaks for, but I wanna make sure I'm getting this poo poo across, which I'm bad at doing).
3. My most recent work experience is solo dev, so the producing is less impressive, BUT it had a full-on volunteer QA force so I had to run an entire Jira triage, AND I did pedantic Trello/Jira Agile project management on the whole thing, so I think it's a plus?

I plan on telling the guy I've done this role while I've had the Designer title, and am happily looking to pivot into this, but like I said, I wanna be 100% clear and don't wanna blow this b/c he's also a friend of mine and leaving the role and recommending me for it :ohdear: I've also got a bucket file with like, every single thing I've ever done at my jobs, so I can comb through and replace some designer lines with more producer stuff if I'm not getting it across.

Resume link: https://imgur.com/rofuvhl

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Sad King Billy posted:

Got a rejection letter claiming to offer constructive feedback. This line I found quite interesting.

I've never been called arrogant before! I looked up the company on Glassdoor and they had an average review rating of 1.7/5. The owner was apparently a fan of Andrew Tate, so a lucky escape.

JFC, absolutely dodged a bullet there.

Terrible interview chat: I once interviewed for a non-animating job at a place who started their interview with "So what makes you want to be an animator for XYZ?". Then the fire alarm went off half way through.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Holy poo poo I got a loving writing test for my dream job at one of my dream studios thanks to (I am almost 100% certain) you guys & the recruiter from my past post helping me take a big editing axe to my resume. Thank you thank you holy poo poo. Now I just have to not gently caress up my actual job skills for this audition

edit: they want to set up a meeting at GDC and I can't afford to go this year, so I'm hoping I won't get marked down for that

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Jenkl posted:

Call this thread J Pow cause it's printing money :10bux:

Hell yeah!! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Quick cover letter question: What's the nice way to say "I had to do a shitton of responsibilites as a Lead role despite not being a lead, because we didn't have one and I had to step up/was unofficially designated as Lead by everyone including higher-ups"