Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Xandu posted:

Oh man, I accidentally applied to a door to door sales position (do your research, folks) and now they won't stop calling me. Almost want to interview just out of curiosity, but apparently they drive you into the suburbs and make you sell poo poo for your interview. Like what the gently caress?

There could be worse ways to spend an afternoon, it would be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Okay, what do I do if I have one place checking references, another place giving me a soft offer (language like 'she's the new ___, well, if she decides to work here'), and an interview tomorrow? I'm most interested in the one I'm going to tomorrow, followed by the soft offer, then the one that's furthest along in the process.

Basically, how do I stall the first one and get the other two to hurry up so I have max options? I would work at any of the jobs, but it would be nice to get my top choice without losing my chance with the other one. This relocation is going well, I've never had this pleasant a job hunt but it feels too good to be true and it would be pretty embarrassing to end up with nothing after all this :confuoot:

In the interview tomorrow, point out that you are of course in process with other companies that are further along in the process. If you receive an offer from the first company, give yourself the longest window of time to respond. Then when you have a response deadline, go back to the company you really want to work for and tell them hey, I want to work for you guys, but I have an offer from another company with deadline X. If I don't get an offer from you guys, I am going to accept the one I have in hand. Either they'll make you an offer (Great) or they won't (in which case they didn't like you that much anyway).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

I would highly recommend getting the goon discount and ordering ResumeToInterview's service here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2444033

I paid around $200 - $250 and I highly recommend it - along with hundreds of happy customers.

Trust me, $200 may seem like a lot of money but it's minimal compared to the value it adds to you in your job search.

Don't do this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just say "Increased margins by ten percentage points"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you write like a fuckhead in Norwegian as well? That might be your problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I see why nobody wants to hire you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm slightly concerned about "taking full financial responsibility for another life" - does that mean your fiancee is not working?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

princecoo posted:

I applied for a Customer Service position a while back with the local council. $64k a year, great benefits, and in a role I'd absolutely crush in my sleep.
Got an interview, it was a panel type situation, which was new for me. Three people interviewing me at once - HR, the person who would be my direct line manager and her boss, I think.

Went in, and I'm still sure I nailed the interview; I have 3 degrees (Bachelors of Performance Dance - useless, but people seem to find it fun - Bachelors of Media Communications and a Bachelors in Business) lots of experience in management and supervisory roles, and I could answer all their questions without a single problem. They seemed impressed. I really thought I had it in the bag.

But no. I got the call a week later, and they said that while I was a strong candidate, and they would absolutely love for me to keep applying for other positions in the company (plus standard "we'll keep your rsume/detils on file etc etc), I was unsuccessful. I asked for some feedback and they said that I seemed nervous at first, which apparently means that I do not think quickly in high-speed situations. This was the only negative feedback I recieved. After a bunch of positives.

Am I alone in thinking this is a complete cop-out? I'll admit I was surprised by the panel - I hadn't had a heads up over that little surprise, but after the initial introductions and once over before the interview "proper", I was pretty okay with it. Like I said, I thought I nailed the interview.

If there was a better candidate, just tell me, don't feed me some bullshit line.

Anyway, I've kept up applying for anything they advertise that I think I have a shot at, and the only slight glimmer of hope was when a Grants Officer position opened up, I applied, but then the position description and salary changed, and I recieved an email urging me to re-apply. I did. That was 4 weeks ago, and I have not heard a peep since.

Why in God's name do you have three BAs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that dudes name is certainly McLovin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is there any way to determine that firm's dress code? Maybe linkedin stalk project managers or something to see what they're wearing in profile pictures. Check the firm's website? My firm has our dress code posted in the jobs section of the website.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It could be either but I wouldn't read too much in to it since department heads tend to be Quite Busy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keshik posted:

I just had three interviews with a company:

Last Wednesday with the hiring manager and a guy who would be a peer.
Last Thursday with the director of operations, a VP, and another potential peer.

Then, this Tuesday the VP and hiring manager took me to lunch.

VP had some reservations about me, said I was their leading candidate but wanted to get another impression. He stepped out after a bit for a phone call, hiring manager said "Ok I think we're good. He had reservations about personalities, but I like you, the two peers like you, and VP will be out of state 99% of the time anyway."

After lunch, VP shook my hand and said "I think we're good, we'll tell HR all is good and you'll hear from them soon."

I heard from two of my four references on Tuesday afternoon that they had gotten phone calls, both said they gave glowing recommendations and wished me luck. I spoke to the other two references on Tuesday evening, neither had heard anything but wished me luck and promised to sing my praises. None of them has heard anything yet, nor have I.

What might be happening right now? I'm freaking out. The second reference they did speak to texted me today "Hey, heard an offer yet? :)" and again wished me luck.

When is it appropriate to email the HR person to check in, say "Hey, anything I can do to help?"

It's been two days man, chill.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keshik posted:

Thanks, it turns out they couldn't get two of my references on the phone and called me to confirm the numbers were right. I texted both of them as soon as the company called me and they were like "Oh sorry, I missed their call and called back."

This is incredibly frustrating and stressful, if I don't get this job because my goddamn references (who are my current bosses) don't just answer their drat phones, I'm gonna lose it.

Chill, man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I certainly wouldn't want to work at an organization where she had any responsibility, but her advice is generally good. I think she suffers from the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Well

I need a new job. Looking for assistance changing my first listed job's wording to be less proprietary, writing a summary, and identifying what people might care about from my education in project management. I want to aim for something in management/planning

You really need to quantify some of that poo poo. How many servers, how many locations, how many configurations, what kind of deadlines, what types of roles, etc.

For project management under technical skills people mostly care about methodologies. Where you mention project management earlier, you should describe the scope of projects managed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What you want to convey is that you worked in non-standard environments, so you are adaptable.

You want to do project management - it sounds like you haven't done any, though? You've just followed another project plan created by a manager. If you don't have direct project management experience you are going to have to explain why your skillset makes you qualified and potentially superior or equivalent to an actual project manager.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That sounds like event planning, not project management.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, so if not, of course feel free to mock me relentlessly as only goons can!

I've got a military background in rotary aircraft maintenance and flight line operations, and I'm becoming interested in applying for jobs with aerospace companies like Lockheed or Boeing (the manufacturer who designed and built the aircraft I know the most about). After reading the OP I know I don't need a CV or anything near that length (all I've got to sell them is my military experience with aircraft because it's all the experience I have in that field). I'm a realtor now and have been since I was discharged from the military, and while I enjoy it and I feel as though I'm good at it, I'm becoming less inclined to work the hours I do, which are in the range of 55-65 hours a week. I'd like something with more structure and weekends I actually have off instead of being "on call" for clients. I also have about 6-7 years of experience in aviation and aerospace due to the military, and I feel it'd translate well to a defense contractor such as Lockheed. All-in-all, I think I'd be immensely happier with Lockheed or some such other company than I am as a realtor, with the often-crushing work hours and working with family really weighing down on my mental health and putting pressure on my relationship with my wife.

I hear a lot about how "it's all about who you know" when it comes to getting into companies like Lockheed, Boeing or Bell. I know several people who work or worked for Lockheed, including my late father-in-law, who had agreed to take a look at my resume last year but sadly was never able to, my parents' neighbor, my sister-in-law, two people from my dad's church, and lastly, a current VP within Lockheed who my wife knows (and who has already expressed to my wife her willingness to help me out). My question is, how do I approach these people I know that work for, say, Lockheed? Should I approach only the people I know best? Do I just come right out and ask them if they can help me? These probably seem like stupid questions, but I don't even know how to broach the subject with them, and I don't know what is too much to ask in reference to helping me get in with Lockheed.

I've already started to take the first steps--I plan on digging out my DD214 and taking it to the FAA's field service office near me, so I can prove my experience (must be done in person so they can verify I am who I say I am) and basically test out to get Airframe & Powerplant certified without having to go through many semester hours of classes. I don't feel as though I should really apply

It was easy enough to get my real estate license but I didn't really have to interview for the job or write a resume, and I've never done either before. I am 31, but this would be my first "big boy" job in a sense, besides the military. I don't really know what to expect, and I'm regrettably more used to going into the office when I want and leaving when I want, basically setting my own hours because I'm essentially an independent contractor; but to succeed, you have to put in the hours. I have an idea of what I should wear to an interview, and my wife (who is herself an executive-level senior manager at Accenture Consulting) could coach me and mock-interview me. I just don't know how to take the next steps beyond getting my A&P certificate and to be honest all of this is overwhelming right now. I'm steeling myself and getting ready to buck up so I can do what I have to do, but I feel like this is a months-long process during which I'll need some help and advice.

Are there any other aerospace goons out there with similar experience to mine who can relate and give me the low-down?

Are you sure that being an A&P is going to provide you the lifestyle that you want? Most of the A&P I know have a miserable, lovely lifestyle where they work a lot, often sent to lovely FBOs in lovely parts of the world, for mediocre pay (mean annual comp is like $52k, obviously it's higher for heavy turbine work etc). Talk to some people in the field and make sure you are going to get a career that actually aligns with your goals.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Local is a pretty nebulous concept in aviation. The product is sold globally and moves around a lot. You may be based locally, but if you're the guy and there's a need in Jakarta, you're going.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sending a thank you won't hurt your chances. I kind of ignore them if they're from people I wasn't otherwise enamored of, but it won't cause anyone to remove you from consideration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cambridge, MA?

Could be chill hippie birks poo poo or relatively uptight compared to SV.

My usual if I don't know how to dress is to wear a jacket and shirt combo that's stylish enough that you don't look uptight but makes you look fairly well put together.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What kind of job and what interview processes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

It was an agribusiness graduate program at a bank, I got to the assessment center stage, which involved a group task and presentation. I'm guessing it has something to do with communication skills but I'm not 100% sure.

It definitely had to do with your performance in the group task and presentation. I asked because it's weird feedback to get unless you were in a group case interview or similar. You probably had good ideas but weren't able to get the group to support them, or to get the group to support positions/plans/tones etc that you favored. Does that seem like a potentially accurate reading of your interview performance?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For something like that I would be transparent - yo I'm about to donate blood, I'm in line, I have a couple minutes now but may get cut short, is it better for me to give you a call back afterwards?

No point in trying to take a call when you might not be able to take it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The latter is a much better way of phrasing it since the former sort of implies you landed one whale.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

I also don't think that talking about percentages of yearly sales targets in the context of sub-year periods is useful, at all. Many sectors see seasonal sales. How many pools get sold in December?

Also a good point!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how about "founded X, a business that Ys"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Short is fine. Don't waste my time confirming.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'll be honest my elevator speech is basically "Here's my resume, I'm hungry for good work, Please consider me"

I can certainly up the tempo more. There's a middle ground between filling applications until crazy and doing only one a day.

One of the most annoying things for me personally is the contradictory information. For example I was specifically told, by multiple people that including my GPA (3.2 btw so like fine but not worth bragging about IMO) was anything between "unnecessary" to "tacky" and you're the first person I know who has anything positive to say about LinkedIn (I know LinkedIn use differs massively from generation to generation)

Having a LinkedIn account is a critical part of being a normal white collar these days. Even if you don't do poo poo with it, make sure it's accurate, up-to-date, and includes a good picture of you.

You're an accountant - can't you volunteer for some non-profit in need of accounting help?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

When dealing with your own work history, what's the best way to handle multiple title changes? All of my relevant work experience looks roughly like this:

Company A
*Title 1
*Title 2, which was just some additional duties on top of Title 1
*Title 3, even fewer new duties on top of Title 2
Company B
*Title 4
*Title 5, which is just "Senior Title 4"

Do I still want to go ahead and list out all five of these titles one-by-one in order, or would I be better served combining these in some manner?

I would list titles separately in reverse chronological order since it shows progression in the role.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aliquid posted:

So I just hosed up hard:

Got a first-round interview for a dream starting job at Accenture (about to graduate with a no-name MBA). I've been applying places for weeks and this is the first to bite. It was a video interview where I would get 30 seconds to see a question and then 5 minutes to record a video of me answering it. I flubbed once, then hit a wrong button and submitted ten seconds of bullshit as my first answer. Is it over? Did I just show I'm incompetent enough at technology to cost myself a job there? 5 minutes is a long time and I feel like I could answer questions 1 and 2 on my second video's time allotment. But I'm so loving angry at myself and feel so stupid I can't even bring myself to try.

You can try, but Accenture receives applicants and hires en masse so they're very likely to automatically disqualify you for not following their process.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

State you have the degree, don't tell them what you make. Visit the negotiating thread.

Present the facts accurately in the best light you can. Post a copy here for review if you want.

To be clear, I assume you are advocating for stating that you have the completed associates' degree. Don't say that you have a degree that you do not have. If you are actively working to completion of that degree and you have a target date for completion, you can list it as in progress with the target date.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Subyng posted:

"What are you passionate about?"

What exactly do interviewers want to hear with this question?

I want to have some level of reassurance that the person across the table from me is actually a normal human being who has interests outside of work and can explain something in a socially perceptive way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Dear company that called my wife to tell her they were preparing an offer letter: hurry up you fuckers :argh: No HR rep is scummy or incompetent enough to tell someone on the phone "we're writing up your offer right now" and then not actually write it up, are they? My wife got that call last Friday and the company has yet to get back to her.

consider that perhaps the company's top priority isn't writing your wife's offer letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah talking about a project that saved X percent or Y percent or had a payback time of Z months or whatever is pretty kosher.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

consulting is weird, i wouldn't trust any of that poo poo on national salaries

the key is how do you deliver value to the client. if you can answer that question effectively and there's a disconnect between value delivered for the company and the client and how much you get paid you have a basis for negotiation.

what specialized knowledge do you have?

as to point three, that would irritate me as your manager. you negotiated your starting salary up in lieu of a six month raise, essentially. you don't get some sort of credit for this. also the world is not fair

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're applying in the same org and ESPECIALLY the same department, it will likely run through same HR at some point. Make your cover letter different. You don't need to use specifically different stories or accomplishments, but don't make it seem like C&P. At least tailor the what's interesting about each position and the fit to your accomplishments to each individual job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If it's possible, I'd recommend that you borrow money to release your transcripts. Credit card, cash from a friend, whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah obviously pay the balance is what I would do if I could but I don't have the money or ability to get the money right now so I'm trying to figure out plan B

You could always tell the employer, although that runs the risk of backfiring if they didn't actually care. What kind of job is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Your BATNA for any offer they give you, provided it is roughly similar to your friend's experience, is terrible, so I would probably not bother.