Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Happiness Commando posted:

I'd love some quantitative figures (trained 8 employees, nixed engagement with 12 percent of potential vendors due to security risks, etc.) if such figures exist or are reasonably estimated.

How do you handle this when there aren't quantitative figures in your role? Currently I don't work on projects, have KPIs, or even have goals. No major accomplishments. I'm struggling to figure out the best way to put that on my resume beyond just my basic job description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what does success in your role mean? How does your boss know that they shouldn't fire you because you are doing a good job?

I don't know! I ask myself that a lot! This isn't sarcasm! We used to have business plan goals, and most of the goals were dictated to us. But most of the goals were bullshit like "contribute towards [a company goal]" and "attend meetings". No metrics. One year I put a personal goal as "read a book" and was told I needed to list a specific book. 100% achieved.

I'm an engineer. My job title does not make sense. It's close to a field service engineer.
My main tasks are:
- When issues get escalated to me, I pour over our technical documentation to figure out what the issue is and how to fix it. If we don't have the documentation, I escalate it to design engineering for more information. If I can't figure out the issue or how to fix it, I escalate it to another group.
- If the issue is systemic, I document my investigation of the issue and do the Fight Club math to create a business case for a fix. I hand this off and am no longer part of the process. When I was part of the process I met with engineering to review production and field fixes, requested or sometimes created repair documentation, and figured out how that repair gets put into the field (recall, warranty, tell the customer to pound sand). But now those are handled by someone else.

We have a company goal of 99% uptime, but I don't even know how that is calculated much less how much my individual accomplishments contribute to it. I can't think of any other metrics I could list that would not completely fall apart in an interview.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I forgot to mention industry: commercial equipment. I don't really handle software, for me it's treated like a component. So one revision of software would get a part number like SW-123.4 and a revision of a screw would get PN-M5x100.1. So in my investigation documentation, causal component could be listed as SW-123.4 or PN-M5x100.1. I'm not getting into any code. I'm also not designing any parts. I have no authority the release parts or ECNs. That has to come from engineering if my business case gets accepted.

I don't really have a ticket system. The one we use is not really used as a true ticket system in my group. Most of my issues come in via phone calls, email, or Teams IMs. They aren't tracked. Many issues never get fixed. Many issues don't affect uptime. I can't estimated turnaround times because they vary so widely depending on many factors, with many of those out of my control.

I know I'm not giving you much. I don't have much to give.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone. I've been looking through my past work to see if I can put together some metrics. Seven years in this job, I've had over 100 documented escalations with 34 of those being business cases. Not great numbers so I need to figure a way to spin that to make it look better. I've thought of some other items that would look good with numbers so I'll start tallying those up next week.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
More fun when you're own company does that to you. I can see the hiring manager's Outlook calendar, assholes.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
You're supposed to have a professional sounding @gmail email address and a burner number dedicated for all job applications, right?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
One time I got a rejection letter for the job I just started

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I have a Google number that I use when dealing with someone directly or applying to a specific job. Otherwise, no.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I hate STAR interviews

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Thank you for the opportunity, but I am withdrawing my application. Please remove me from further consideration for this position.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

200 applicants usually just means 196 no-hopers

source: years of hiring

I'm one of the 196 :sweatdrop:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
What do you put for the salary question when the application form has a drop down menu instead of a text box? I've been selecting the lowest.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
If it's just an overview, one slide of an A3. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A3_problem_solving
If it's something fairly light, one slide on Complaint, Cause, Correction, and optionally Confirm.
If it's in depth, follow 8D or something like it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_disciplines_problem_solving

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

There are quite a few headhunters that make their $ selling their "contacts".

"We'll help you land a job at one of my million contacts in the industry.... for the low, low price of $10,000!... Payable in installments!"

Getting really sick of recruiters not giving a full job description before getting 6 "references" from me

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Recruiter: "I have time for a call this Thursday or Friday"
If this isn't a test it's a sign, gently caress off

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
How do I reach out to a hiring manager about a position I'm applying for again?

I'm going to apply for a job that I previously applied for, interviewed for, then declined the offer for another position. I see the position posted and I am going to apply for it again. Everything I come up with makes me feel like I'm groveling or making excuses.

"Hello Elon,
I'm reaching out to let you know I've applied for the open Panel Gapper position at Tesla. I applied for a Panel Gapper position before but had to decline for another opportunity. After some personal and professional growth I know that gapping panels is the best fit for me, and the experience I've gained since then will make me a better panel gapper."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
What resume service did you use? I'm thinking about getting Parahexavoctal in SA Mart to help me update mine.