Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Because the question isn't usually about expectations, it's a blunt first round ask of "what is your current comp?" and your offer will be inextricably tied to that number in many cases, regardless of jumps in skill/responsibility from your current gig to the prospective one.

You can pretty easily respond to the question by stating your expectations if you don't want to give your current compensation.

The main reason is that there normally is a large asymmetry in the amount of information each party has. You know relatively little about what you're worth especially to this specific company while the company should know what you're worth to them and probably has significant knowledge about how much you're worth to other companies. If this isn't the case, or you don't want to potentially waste your time, then you be upfront about expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

idiot of the legal system posted:

Hi jobs thread. I have a pending offer from a great and well-connected company in my city that is going to offer at minimum a 11 percent pay increase, which is neat, with some possibility for negotiation there. Not sure on what the rest of the benefits will look like.

Pros: The organization is prestigious and will open a lot of doors for my field. It's a position I want to work in a field I've been looking to return to for some time. Prospective minimum pay bump is promising. Also, I wouldn't have to drive to work and will save money on gas (and likely car maintenance down the road).

Cons: I'm sort of concerned that the title is going to probably look like a step down at first. Currently I'm a Lead Data Admin at my job; this new position is as an Assistant. It is definitely a slightly different type of work where my only previous experience was as an intern, so should I worry about this? My thought was I can possibly negotiate for a title change in the future if my performance is good. With that said, I might be overthinking this.

Also, what are people's experiences in comparing benefits? I've never really had to do it before so I'm totally not clear on what constitutes, for example, a good amount of vacation time or employer matching on retirement accounts or whatnot. I just finished college two years ago with a not strictly employable degree and come from a sort of rough background so I'm not, like, supremely well-versed in any of this stuff, to be honest. Am sort of crawling my way into the middle class without a lot of background knowledge and would appreciate any insight I can get. Thanks!

I wouldn't consider something a step down if you're changing fields and getting paid more. In general I would say that your situation is good as it means you have room to advance both in title and pay in the new job. Titles may be negotiable, but you may be held to a higher standard and if you don't also negotiate higher pay to go along with it you're taking away an easy promotion and promotions are generally when you get the biggest increase in compensation outside of switching jobs.

Make a spreadsheet to compare them and assign value to the differences and then use that along the other elements of compensation to determine the total compensation for each job. Vacation is negotiable at some companies so you should at least try to negotiate more there. Most other benefits aren't though you can always ask.

asur fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 17, 2017