Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Do the rules for negotiating salary and benefits change when you're dealing with a public/government institution, rather than a private business? Is there any room to negotiate at all in those cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

skipdogg posted:

I've never worked public sector, but benefits/time off are usually set in stone by policy. If they pay on a a grade/step level chart you can negotiate to start at a higher step than what they might want to start you at.

Just a random example, but say you're getting hired by the State of Kansas as a Machinist. Machinist are Pay Grade 20, and they want to start you at Step 6, well you could probably negotiate up to Step 10 if they wanted you bad enough, a difference of 15.03 and hour vs. 16.56 an hour. But that snowballs as you get your step/grade increases as you work there. It can make a big difference, especially with retirement contributions and whatnot.

http://www.da.ks.gov/ps/documents/payplan0614hrly.pdf

Spend a little time and figure out how the department is run and the payscale/grade/step for the position and see what you can do.

What if the job is with city government instead of state government? I can't find any information on the city's website regarding a salary schedule. Would it be safe to go with the state's schedule as reference instead?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I had a really good interview last week, and I have one more this week with the CIO of the organization. It's for an entry level position in a fairly large organization and the interview is expected to be short. What should I expect interviewing with an executive officer? Will it be any different than a typical interviewand should I be preparing for it any differently? If so, how should I prepare and what kind of questions should I be asking?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I had my interview with the CIO last Monday, it went great and I received an email ten minutes later saying they wanted to move on to a background check. Later in the day I received an email with the forms I needed to fill out, sent them back the next day and now I'm playing the waiting game. I was told the background check would take 2-3 days. Since I returned the forms two days before the 4th of July, I expected there to be some kind of delay with the check. I have no idea how long these things take. Is that 2-3 days number realistic and how much time should I give before I contact them to see if they're still considering me? And how should I word that email if I inevitably have to contact them about it? I've read horror stories about people being rejected even at this point in the hiring process even with a clean background (which I do have), so I am praying to Allah that it does not happen to me.

Lil Miss Clackamas fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 8, 2013

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Does anyone have any impressive cover letters/examples? Mine is too stiff, doesn't flow the way I want it to, and I need some inspiration.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
What are the best practices for searching for a new job while still employed? My co-workers would obviously be my best references, but I don't want to alert anyone to my search. What's the most graceful, discrete way I can do this?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I recently submitted a job application in the same field in the same area that I currently work. I just realized after submitting my application that people in this industry know and communicate with each other, and it's got me a little concerned.

I'm worried that someone at the place I applied at will see where I'm currently working on my resume and contact my boss directly, and let them know that I'm looking for other jobs.

If such a thing happened, and I got fired as a result, would I have any legal recourse whatsoever? Do such things even happen?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Has anyone ever heard of pre-recorded interviews? Apparently I use my webcam and answer a series of questions online. This seems deceptively in my favor, so what's the best way to prepare for these?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I just botched a pre-recorded interview, my first time ever hearing or dealing with such a thing. I was answering the very last question and completely blanked out in the middle of a sentence. I couldn't think of a single word, or had a single thought come to mind. It was like every thought process in my head came to a screeching halt. And then I hit end recording. For anyone who encounters a pre-recorded interview: do not ever do what I did. Literally anything is better than stopping the video mid sentence. Even though you're talking to no one, laughing and apologizing, then continuing, is much better. I just blew the only opportunity I was interested in, don't be me.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I appreciate the insinuation that I had a seizure and was not a massive idiot, but it was a question I hadn't prepared for and I was basically improvising, and too stressed to think on my feet. It was entirely my mistake.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
That line only works if you've already been through the interview process and you're on the cusp of an offer. If you pull that card this early in the game, they're gonna be like "OK then." and move on, especially with the way they're communicating.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I just got to the references stage of an interview process. However, they told me that it's time to let my current place know that I'm exploring other opportunities, as they want to speak to my direct supervisor. The position is with a public school. Is such a request a normal part of the interview process for a public sector position, or should I consider this a red flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Outrail posted:

I'm in a rural area and if word got around I like to sue employers I'd most likely have to move.

It's likely that there weren't any emails and I doubt a 'they said they said' thing will work out in my favour. At any rate, it was almost two years ago now and I've gone from doing the most boring bullshit imaginable to managing a company and this is a long-term bump to my career despite being similar wages. Overall it worked out. It's in an adjacent/parallel industry so I can keep poaching employees over time and/or wait for a chance for something better served cold without ruining my reputation.

You wouldn't be the one suing, it would be the DoJ who files suit (you could file suit independently if you wanted but it's usually never worth it). Your involvement would be unknown to your employer until a grand jury is called - if it even got to that point. If what you were told wasn't in writing, then there's no way the DoJ would pursue anyway.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would guess the most common thing when a company is silent for a week or more after interviews concluded is that you're on the shortlist but you're not the #1 candidate, and they're keeping you on hold as Plan B while negotiating with Plan A.

This is pretty much what happened to me once. Interviewed, was told an offer was coming the following week, then it never came. I followed up, was told there was a snafu and it was definitely coming the next week, and then radio silence after that. It's a lovely thing to do to a candidate but it happens.