Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I've never applied to international companies before, I've been in academia/public sector stuff/medical junk forever. This is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Hey guys, I'm a physician (resident) who just finished a PhD but I want to try and enter industry because, well, better quality of life and more internationally mobile. I'm not in a rush or anything, but this is the first time I'm applying for positions outside of the hospital.

I had some help from parahexavoctal, and this is what I ended up with: https://i.imgur.com/7sG6DM1.png

Does anyone here have experience with moving from clinical medicine to medical affairs in industry? I've got 2 clinical years and 3-4 research years under my belt.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

CarForumPoster posted:

Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable answering certain ?s. I've helped a decent number of physicians decide on offer and get more offers though exclusively for outpatient roles.

- I think you're on the right track with leading with what you want to do and if you dont mind tailoring a resume for each application of those types of roles it could be time well spent. I'd just tailor the summary section for most jobs.
- The one page resume rule doesnt apply to you, anyone who says it does is not giving you advice tailored to clinicians or hard science research. Still be data packed but be wary that you are ~special~ and some of the generic advice may not apply.
- Its not clear: Did you complete residency? I'm guessing from the resume residency but its not actually stated, was it a cardiology residency? Make that crystal clear.
- In Industry can have truly WILD variations in meaning. What are you looking to do? For example... Sensors (the piss sensors are real!), sensor analysis (apple watch applications), drug discovery, biotech tools/platforms, custom organisms (e.g. ginkgo biowerks)
- A lot of the "big name" pharma company innovations actually come from acquiring or partnering with biotech startups, are you open to a startup? For example: https://www.novonordisk.com/content/nncorp/global/en/news-and-media/news-and-ir-materials/news-details.html?id=67562
- Are you interested in starting your own startup, potentially commercializing your research?
- What are medical affairs in industry to you?

I have a lot more questions but that is a start.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

- Yeah, I've got a 'generic' one and I try to customize it for positions I'm applying to, usually on a per-company basis (since nobody lets me add in a cover letter/a resume tailored towards each specific position)
- I genuinely don't know how I should expand this resume without being too wordy. Any tips?
- I am currently in a Cards residency, but I want to quit. The night shifts and long hours are getting me down. I did a PhD during a clinical break and the research-clinical combination was very fun.
- I'm looking to do clinical trial management, drug development/discovery, and/or digital health
- I am open to a startup but I have no experience distinguishing between the good and the bad. Novo is a company I've applied to (I'd really like to work with them)
- This will be rather difficult because the university owns the patents. It'd also bring in a lot of uncertainty. One of my colleagues is doing this right now, but it's very stressful and I'd rather not.
- The companies I've applied to define it as adjacent to the scientific medical branch. Ideally I'd have the ability to be involved with the management and setup of clinical trials while also being the point of contact between the corp's scientific arm and external parties.

Again, all new stuff to me. Feel free to tell me if I'm completely off here or there.
Also yeah I've asked around on SA, but I'm in Europe so there's some regulatory burdens to working in the US. I'm open to it, but mainly wanted some general advice.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

CarForumPoster posted:

How much longer you got?

It's 6 years but I'm just 1 year in, my other year of clinical experience was in another department (normal in my neck of the woods). I don't have trouble at work and the department leads are giving me recommendation letters, but I'm 100% certain I'm going to stop.

CarForumPoster posted:

What country?

FYI you're in a very nuanced situation for giving good resume and career advice. General advice for you is maybe not so useful.

If you play your cards right I suspect the world will be your oyster (hows that for layered idioms?) but what play is the right one and how your resumes should be written to make that play is nuanced.

Unrelated: This has been a good couple weeks of resume thread edge cases.

Netherlands. Yeah, I know it's a tough one. I was hoping someone would have some experience on the hiring side of large pharma orgs. I've checked a bunch of boxes, I'm first author on an RCT, published a bunch on cardiovascular/rare diseases, PhD and all. Just need an 'in' into medical affairs or clinical trial management and go from there, I think.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Well, I'm already doing that. I've had meetings at congresses/conferences and have some ongoing leads with people employed at companies I'd like to work at. I'm really just here for all the stuff besides that--like knowing that apparently I need a larger, more detailed resume.

It's all pretty specific, but I think the stuff I've done is pretty broadly applicable as well. In essence it's just some stretch of clinical work, 2 degrees, and a bunch of published research projects. I'd love to run, set up, or design a clinical trial, I did that on the academic side and it was fun. I'd love to be the communicative link between a corp and a hospital or health care system, I've done that on the hospital's side and it was great. I just don't want to sleep with a pager next to my head again.

E: I'd also like to mention that I'm not in a hurry. I'm working at the Cards dept til at least december, and afterwards I've got other positions lined up, or I can even go for short-term locum stuff. I'm aiming for something within a year or so, that's really it. I'm also willing to relocate globally, since I just have cats to worry about at the moment.

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 24, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Appreciate the info, man. I might toss you a PM in a while, waiting for a handful of leads at the moment.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I got a concrete offer for a better position than I currently have, but it's worse than another position I've applied for and know (have been told by a director at the company) that I am 'in the running for' 'with pretty good odds'. However, the offer I've got is contingent on me accepting it within 1-2 weeks, and I don't know how long the other one will take to crystallize. Additionally, I've been told by someone at the 2nd (better) org that 'these things take time' and to be prepared for a 4-8 week wait before even being invited to an on-site interview. What would you guys do, not taking into account my finances?

The concrete offer is for something in my current line of work at my current company (but another department entirely), the other position would be a pivot to another type of job entirely. So I could still pivot later on. To complicate matters, it would be a huge dick move to take the first offer and then dip out because it would take away part of the institution's funding--it would be enough to blackball me regionally, if not nationally, but it would have very few consequences internationally.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Lockback posted:

Wait, didn't see they'd lose funding. Then the 2nd option is actually probably a bad option unless that new job is truly life changing. I'd probably put pressure on new company and if they still want to play slow then I'd assume they weren't serious about you.

Yeah, sounds like a good call, thanks.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I got pharma offers but got an offer for a residency spot with consultant track I really liked so picked that. No more interviews

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

I’m a phd who went for industry and I had way more luck with a 2 page resume than a 1 page, and I also tailored my publication highlight to each specific job I applied for.

Listing presentations at conferences/congresses helped a lot

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Parahexavoctal

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

America prolly has lots of lovely labor law but forcing people to take vacation time is good, actually, imo

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Lockback posted:

I worked at a place that let you cash out pto and it became a stupid badge of honor to get as much money as you can and everyone was miserable. Use it it lose it + a culture of generally universal pto acceptance is the best situation.

Mind you I’m European, where I live you schedule your pto in advance and whatever company you work at just has to deal with it. Use it or lose it basically forced people to chill out for N days a year which is great. You have to be able to actually Use It though, otherwise your situation sucks. But that’s not on use it/lose it.

Also get a dual sim or second phone already. We have to turn on OOO auto reply during non working hours whenever we work with Americans.

an iksar marauder fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 9, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Amazonian attributes, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Ok that’s cool Discendo Vox, but is the resume and interview thread really the place for navel gazing and/or talking poo poo about the company someone just scored a rare win at