Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I've a bit of a conundrum.

I have a MS in molecular biology and 5 years of quality lab work, 3 as a grad student, 2 as staff, for experience. However, I last worked in a lab, or any other formal job, almost 3 years ago. I was at a public university, working, and it simply didn't pay enough to justify daycare. See, I had a friend who does some window cleaning and handyman stuff that I was already working with, when I had the time. It simply made more sense to quit at that school, watch our kids, myself and with the help of family, and work as much as I could.

We weren't and still aren't hurting for money, but we want to get our kids into daycare/pre school now just for their own social development. So, I'm looking for jobs. Part or full, in my field or otherwise. The problem is the nearly-3 year gap where my only work is what I've done for myself/friend, both of which are kind of 'cash' jobs.

I've made up my resume as best I can to make it look legit and everything, using the name of the company on my business card, etc.

My question is: what do HR people think when they see someone who runs their own small company and is now applying for a job? How do I, as an applicant/interviewee, handle that on both my resume and when answering questions?

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Chalets the Baka posted:

What if the job is with city government instead of state government? I can't find any information on the city's website regarding a salary schedule. Would it be safe to go with the state's schedule as reference instead?

How could anyone answer that without knowing what the pay is like in the state jobs vs. the local city jobs? If it's a small city, it's probably going to pay less than if it's, say, NYC.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

outlier posted:

I hope others can chip in on this but: I wouldn't see it as a problem, provided it was spun right.

People work from self-employed to salaried all the time, and you could say things like "it was very useful at the time to run my own company in terms of taking care of the the family but now I want something different in terms of work etc. etc." Make it look as if it was a considered decision and you're not going to fly back to the company after a few months.

From a week or so ago, but this was in response to my question about my past 3 or so years of self-employment. My wife pointed out that if someone were to do a background check, hypothetically, of course, if I were to have done all of those jobs as cash jobs, without reporting it to the IRS, then there might be nothing about it on my background check.

*Supposing that someone (not me, of course) maintained some semblance of self-employment for about 3 years, and did it as cash jobs, how would someone handle that situation?

*for informational purposes only

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Xovaan posted:

Uh so I managed to score an interview within a week of moving back from college. The hiring managers loved me and now I need to meet with the HR director and the guy who will be my boss as a threeway interview.

My issue is 1. I haven't had a formal job interview since my first corporate job as a barista at Starbucks and 2. I don't own any suits.

So I guess 1. is gonna be pretty shakey no matter what but if I were to get a suit at Men's Warehouse, what's the best option for a slim fitting suit that isn't hilariously expensive? (I'm a slim guy)

2. You go to Macy's or MW or whatever and tell the salesman what you're looking for. They can tell you better than anyone here. Also, google "obama suit" and look for something like that. It's a great place to start.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

I have an interview in about a week at a local company. They pulled the job posting so now I can't refresh myself on the "Duties/Responsibilities". I can find other, similar companies with similar job postings, but that may not be apples to apples.

Also, in my folder of cover letters and resumes, I had accidentally saved OVER the cover letter I used to submit this resume. I didn't give them the wrong cover letter, nor did I give the other company the wrong cover letter, but I mistakenly clicked "save" instead of "save as", when I was making changes to the cover letter so it would fit the second job application. I still have the copy of the resume I used for this application, thankfully, but no cover letter. I vaguely remember what I wrote but obviously I don't remember everything.

So in summary, upcoming interview where the company no longer has the job posting on the internet, so I can't be very well prepared about the job duties/requirements, and I don't remember exactly what I wrote on the cover letter. :ohdear:

I assume it would be terribly bad form to ask the person organizing the interview for a copy of the job posting? Or would it, since it is no longer available?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Xandu posted:

Depending on the company, if you google the company name and job title, you might be able to find it archived somewhere.

Unfortunately, this didn't yield anything. There was a link to it on Careerbuilder, but I get a message that the posting has expired, and I can't find it cached anywhere. I also found another posting for the same position in a different part of the country, but the same thing happened when I clicked the link - it had expired.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Quick question: What are the thoughts for long hair and a beard on a guy looking to get a job in either marketing, pr, copy writing, media, maybe sales?

I came from media before, where this didn't matter at all really, and I know it is a bit different elsewhere. I just really don't wanna not get a job because of something stupid like that. By long, I mean not shoulder length but long enough that I can pull back. Assuming I did do this for an interview, it would be blown dry, neat and pulled back. I usually have a full beard that I trim and shape up daily when I am not an unemployed hobo. It isn't a patchy neckbeard or any poo poo like that.

Hair is hair, I can grow back if need be. Beard my monkey genes will have that back in two weeks. The head hair is obviously quite a bit longer. If I were to cut, I'd be shooting for something like Patrick Dempsy or Simon Baker (I have curly wavy hair, and I'd still want some flow to it)

I am actually more interested in the thoughts on the beard, even though that is less controversial, I think. I feel that without it, I look like I'm fresh out of college instead of 28. People in general treat me a lot differently when I have a full beard

Get a haircut. There's nothing like a neat trim and a neat beard. Fresh out of grad school, I kept hair that was probably roughly the length of yours. Maybe slightly longer. I interviewed at a lot of places, and was hired eventually at a big university. Places like universities don't care what you look like, but professional businesses do.

I'd trim your beard to not more than this, if it was longer:

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Marketing- neat trim beard ok, long hair ok
PR- neat trim beard ok, long hair ok
Copy writing- short beard, good haircut needed
Media- I don't know
Sales- clean shaven, hair cut

In general it depends on what region you are in. In San Francisco you can get away with anything.

In sales you generally want to look as sharp as possible.

What about people who are in sales that look better with a beard? The job I'm interviewing for is a sales job and I keep a beard about like Jake's above. I and others think I look better with a beard, but if there's some discrimination then I'll just shave it.

Everything I read on the internet seems to indicate you're generally better off shaving, especially for sales...goddamn beard discrimination.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

With sales you aren't just dealing with employees of your company. You are dealing with the general public. You could easily have a day where even 1 prospect or person you run into doesn't like your look and it shakes your confidence all day. Not only will they not buy from you, but they will poo poo all over you.

Do people really feel that strongly about a neatly groomed beard?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

FrozenVent posted:

Are you perfectly confident that it's going to be perfectly groomed - I don't mean neatly, I mean perfectly - 100% of the time when you're working or in any way associated with the company?

Alright now are you perfectly confident that this guy you just met is going to keep his beard perfectly groomed 100% of the time for the next five or ten years?

Yea I guess so, even though that obviously seems unfair. I could see why they'd rather just go with the clean shaven guy.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

C-Euro posted:

I didn't get the job :( When companies say things like "we'll keep your resume on file for future consideration", how often do they actually get back to people in that position? 0%? 0.0%?

It's like when you tell your ex boy/girlfriend, "it's not you, it's me." It's just something they say.

Sure someone has probably gotten a job from having the resume on file like that, but can you think of anyone? Ask your acquaintances if they can think of anyone who has.

Sorry to hear.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Grumpwagon posted:

So I got a job offer today, pending a background check. I've never been worried about a background check before, but I'm freaking out about this one a little bit. I really want this job.

The reason is, in a move that seems incredibly stupid now, and definitely not something I'd do again, I fudged the date of my first job to make it more recent. I'm just out of school, and I don't have much relevant experience, so I moved this job up to occupy a time that I held an irrelevant job.

The background check form explicitly says that they may interview former employers. How likely is it that they actually do this, and will uncover this? I have to imagine it won't reflect well, but is that enough to rescind the offer?

Should I just hope it doesn't come out? Admit it now to get ahead of the issue?

Either way, lesson totally learned. The moral of the story: In what should be obvious, don't lie on your resume (at least not about things this easily checked up on).

How much did you change the date? We talking like a month or two or much longer? That's the sort of thing they could easily ask, "did Goon work for you from X to Y?" I guess it depends on how much you lied whether it will be an issue.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

redacted

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 9, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

FrozenVent posted:

DON'T DO IT.

Seriously. They didn't hire you, move on with your life. You have absolutely nothing to gain from calling out an HR person.

Who knows, they might be hiring again next week, she might go to work for someone else, heck, she could forward your email to all of her HR friend. Don't do it.

Also people can sense when you hate them or have only contempt for them because they didn't google what your degree was about. Watch your attitude.

Fine points.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 9, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Tell no one anything. Wait for offers. Pick best one. If you have to quit after a week so be it.

Exactly this. If you HAVE to choose the offer from A before anything comes from B, then accept A. Should B give you an offer that's too good to pass, then you'll just have to tell A "Sorry, I got an offer that I didn't think I would get, and it's too good to pass up. I can work here for another X number of days, if that helps."

Similar thing happened to me with my first job out of grad school. Company X made an offer, but I knew that Company Y was likely to make an offer. X paid substantially more than Y, but it was about twice the commute and probably had overtime. Ultimately I had to call Y and say, "Hey I have another offer and they are anxious to hear from me. Are you close to a decision?" They told me they were going to make me an offer, just to wait for the offer letter. I didn't really like telling X "No thanks" before I got the offer from Y, but I did, and it happened to work out for me.

The difference is that you haven't yet even interviewed with the 2nd company. Assuming you need a job now, then you'll just have to take A and wait to see what happens with B.

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 19, 2013

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

I don't think anyone can answer that for you except for you and your wife. What happens if you break the contract? How long is the contract? Is it going to help her with another job after 6 or 12 months or whatever? What happens if she says "No" and ends up getting no more offers?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

I have interviewed with four different companies in the past week. I felt that 2 of the 4 went well, 1 went pretty well, and 1 was just okay. The two that I thought went well are also the 2 I am most interested in, whether that had something to do with how the interview proceeded or not.

The first was a week ago, the hiring manager gave the usual "okay we still have a couple more interviews scheduled, I'll get back to you next (this) week." The 2nd was just today. I sent thank you letters to everyone after the interviews.

I am getting anxious to hear back from the first job, so I sent a follow up email inquiring about the position etc. The second job I won't inquire about until sometime next week, if I don't hear back sooner.

Now I play the waiting game. Goddamn I hate the waiting game. The last time I played the waiting game, I felt the interview went very well and the drat HR lady never replied to my email inquiring about the position. I am fearful that could happen again and it's making me anxious.

My question is: when you're interviewing someone and you think you might make that person an offer or bring them back for a second interview, do you still say the typical "still have others scheduled to interview, will get back to you.'?

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

I heard back from a job I interviewed last week, one of the aforementioned that I felt went well. Yep, apparently not as well as I thought, as they are pursuing other candidates. That's fine, at least I heard back. At least that's something.

gently caress I hate interviewing. Not like when I actually sit down with the interviewer, that's fine and I'm not all bitter or anything. But the whole deal, taking the morning or afternoon to dedicate to getting dressed up, leaving plenty early to account for bad traffic, waiting to see if you'll hear back, following up when inevitably they take too long to get back to you, etc.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

corkskroo posted:

Some companies have predetermined grade scales with very little wiggle room. If you can't get the money you want you can try to get more PTO or something like that instead.

Does that happen? I always hear that thrown around but I would think the benefits package was even more set in stone than the pay grades. ie earning 4 hours per pay period.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

So after 3 years of self employment, part time while watching my kids the other time, I've been applying all over the place and have had half a dozen or so interviews. A few of these I felt really good about, a few of them I never followed up after the thank you email because I either didn't do well in the interview or wasn't that interested.

Now its back to grinding out online applications and resume submissions.

Why in the everloving gently caress does every single company do this:
Upload your resume
Attempt to parse the information so it fits into their terrible website
Ruin any and all formatting
Place random, odd errors all over your descriptions/experience/etc?

Either have us upload the resume or don't. I have seen some companies whose software takes a section of my resume, say EDUCATION and will change it to eduCATioN and other weird lower/upper case errors. If you should have a bullet point on your resume, you'd better believe that's getting changed to a little ? box on the website.

Are people seriously submitting their resumes in file types other than doc/x or pdf? Okay they probably are but why can't these websites simply handle a docx file? Are companies aware of how poorly their software typically parses a resume? And don't even get me started on those horrible sites where you click an open job description, but if you click BACK, then you have to enter all of your search information again, usually starting with North America, United States, State, Region, City, etc...

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

So it dawned on me today that I had taken many training courses during my last scientist job at a university. Things like a week long Flow Cytometry course. A 6 hour Scanning Electron Microscopy course. A 2-part embedding and tissue sectioning course.

Are courses such as these things that I should list on my resume (when applying for a position where that would be pertinent information)? I haven't been including it...because I just remembered today. However, I feel like I should.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

So I got a job offer today for a company that's kinda far from where I live...about 30 miles. The pay is acceptable for an entry-level position in this field, and there's definitely room for advancement within this company. I want to give them an answer within 1-2 days; but here's the problem.

Of course, today, when I get an offer, the first such offer in 2-3 months of interviewing, suddenly I'm contacted by 3 different places where I'd sent out resumes 2-4 weeks ago, wanting to schedule interviews.

2 of these 3 places would pay slightly more, in a slightly different field, with probably a bit less room for advancement. I am likely going to rule out the third place, because I don't really want to do that type work. The commutes would also be shorter than 30 miles. 30 miles is much further than I would like to drive every day, but the hours at the place that made the offer would make traffic less of an issue (7am-3/3:30ish).

1) How do I buy myself another day or two before giving an answer to the offer, while at the same time trying to push forward interviews with these other 2 places? I don't want to say "yes" to the place that made me an offer, pick a starting date, and then say, "Sorry...I got a better offer after I agreed." It would burn my bridges with that company, one that I could otherwise see myself applying to in the future. I also don't want to tell someone with whom I haven't yet interviewed, "Yea..I need to interview tomorrow/today because I have an offer outstanding..." Keep in mind, I sent my resume like a month ago and they're just now scheduling interviews.

2) I interviewed at somewhere else entirely last week, and it went well. I suspect I'll be hearing back from that company with an offer, but I've been wrong before. Is it acceptable for me to send an email to that company and say, "Hey, if I'm still in consideration, can you let me know right away? I have another offer.."?

3) edit: nevermind question 3, I already know the answer.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

YF19pilot posted:

Would moving closer be out of the question? Which company are you most interested in working for? Which industry do you want to be in, Industry A (offer) or Industry B (interviews). Will you be able to change careers down the road if you decide A/B are not for you?

Otherwise, the time between interview/offer from the other companies may be too long that your window with Company A may close. I'd just think really hard and long if losing the job with A would be worth getting a job with the Bs. It does seem like you're in a "one in the hand, two in the bush" situation though. I, personally, would probably go with the offer from Company A, and if a year or two from now you're not happy, you can always reapply to Companies B. But just think about things and you'll find your own right answer.

Yea I think you've summed it up pretty well. A and B are different specialties of the same industry. One is metrology (calibrating sensitive laboratory/manufacturing instruments) and the other could be summarized as working with the same type instruments. So once you start specializing in one, you could work in the other, but it wouldn't be a straightforward transfer.

Moving closer to job A is certainly a possibility, but we do own our home now and would be buying another if we moved. My wife drives about 10 miles in the same direction to her company, so if we moved, say, 20 miles from here, that would put us both 10 miles from where we worked. Of course, I would only do this if the job turned out to be pretty drat good and promising, which I wouldn't know for a good year or so.

In any case, I've decided to outright decline one interview, and to tell the other two that I can interview with them...but it has to be tomorrow - sorry, I have another outstanding offer to which I must respond. As for the position that I am thinking/hoping to get an offer from, but haven't yet, I just have to contact them and explain. If they were considering making an offer to me, then they'll do it sooner. If not, no harm done, far as I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Wait are you supposed to send thank you letters for preliminary phone interviews?