Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The most I've ever gotten is an occasional "thanks but no thanks" email. Never a voicemail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

We took 3 months to make an offer once because the sign-off accidentally went one boss too high and they started meddling. This was a private company.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Another question: I went to college for 2 years but never graduated. In that time, I did quite a lot of coursework that was very relevant to my field. Do I include it at all on my resume?

I was thinking just something like:

[school] [years]
Coursework in computer touching and computer rubbing

e: To be clear I have 12+ years of actual professional experience in front of this so it's not like it matters that much

Nobody really cares about college after your first job. Except maybe what your degree was actually in.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

The nice thing about including the two years is it might get you past some filters that think you have a degree.

This actually is good advice. Just say you "went to college" and volunteer as little info as the form will allow. Don't actually lie though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

No sense sugarcoating it--HR software at big companies is probably going to auto-shitcan your resume before a human ever sees it.

Is there any way a regular person can get their resume audited by this sort of software to see if there's something on there that's an automatic "no"?

Or are there resume templates known to punch through the screening software reliably? This one seems to come up a lot.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 19, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Hmm. Well, I'm a software developer and it doesn't look too complicated, said man seconds from disaster.

I'm in a similar situation and the source code seems simple enough. Presumably you still need to export a PDF or some such once you're finished and upload that to job applications.

I can't decide if using a resume template HR has probably seen a thousand times designed to punch through screening software is something that would annoy or impress.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

So quick update on this. profiling consultant finally got in touch with me and with the next few days I'll be receiving one of these tests https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/testing-publishers/picompany/ and I'm honestly kinda let down. i tried a few practice tests and its mostly math-y, logical problems which as i see it test a certain kind of thinking thats definitely not how i work. No idea at all how it would relate to the actual job -which is all personal relationships and working oit interpersonal conflicts between people- and it sucks cause i know im gonna do terribly. Anyone have any tips?

On the one hand stupid games like this make me feel like that's just not a company I'd want to work for. On the other hand they all seem to play stupid games like this.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's been a pretty messy process in general. Only reason i'm sticking with it is i know the people I'd be working with, and, well, the location is absolutely amazing. This is probably the end of the road though, which sucks

Well if you've made it this far you might as well take your shot. Who knows what they're actually screening for here.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's the most reliable way to get a "burner" phone number for job hunting? I don't know that I want Indeed.com blasting my personal cell number out to whoever. I get enough spam calls. I mean, I'll put with them for the job hunt but I want to be able to burn that bridge once I'm done.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mantle posted:

For Americans I'd just use a Google Voice number. I don't have one so I bought a DID from voip.ms and forward it to my cell and give that out.

Hand to god I thought they'd discontinued Google voice. But sure enough it looks like it's still around. Sorry, guess that was a silly question. Thanks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Indeed seems to get a fresh crop daily.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I keep going back and forth on how important it is to submit a LinkedIn profile on a job application. I don't have or want one but I've actually seen a couple of application forms where it's a required field.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

And yes, I've gotten fat sitting at home all day so none of my other nice shirts fit anymore. Pants be damned.

The most charismatic and well liked boss I ever had was a short fat man. If you think you've got the juice then cut your hair, put on a nice shirt, turn the webcam on, and let em pick up what you're putting down.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'd be too worried about getting on a call with a hiring manager who's salty about remote work and looking for an excuse to pass over someone who works in sweatpants all day. Even if the team is extremely chill I can't imagine combing your hair and putting on a button up shirt would ever work against you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Some job sites will tell you how many people have applied to a given position and it's really, really discouraging sometimes. Kinda wish I could turn that off.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cum jabbar posted:

I was just thinking the same thing earlier. I'm a strong candidate in any role I'd apply to, but with 200 applicants it's such a dice roll on whether my resume would even be seen

I guess that's why everyone uses ATS to screen resumes. But then it's like you're being pulled in two directions. If I focus too much on making a resume to punch through the screening software it'll read like crap once a human lays eyes on it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

200 applicants usually just means 196 no-hopers

source: years of hiring

Yeah, I know that's true. All the more reason I'd just rather not see the number.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 12, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A while back I posted about caving and signing up for LinkedIn to which someone replied "Yeah go for it that can only help." Well they were right. It did help but in an unexpected way.

My biggest question mark this whole time was whether or not my resume was getting screened out by ATS and should I tweak it some more or focus on something else. Well LinkedIn solved that mystery for me because it tells you when someone looks at your profile. I started submitting my LinkedIn profile with my resume on job applications and now I'm getting notifications that people from the companies I'm applying to are looking at my profile which tells me my applications are (probably) getting through to humans.

So yeah, I'd recommend a LinkedIn account just so you can see when companies are actively reviewing your application instead of auto-screening it out. That was probably obvious to a lot of you but maybe that info will be helpful to someone else.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Right, thread OP says it's probably not worth it to use a resume writing service but I am stuck on polishing it up and have been for long enough that I figure it's worth it to shell out money to get past that hump.

That said, I'm a bit overwhelmed by options when I search for a service. Can anyone point me in a helpful direction? Ideally I'd like something that includes some back-and-forth discussion and work, maybe in real time.

If context helps I'm in the US, a former high school science teacher for 7 years who is running away from the education sector like my rear end is on fire. I'm probably going to try temping for a while to get money coming in while looking for a good fit permanent thing - pretty typical.

Thanks. I've not really ever had to do a real job search before due to luck and circumstances and it's pretty overwhelming.

There's someone offering that very service on SA Mart. I think he's been away on vacation for a couple of weeks so he might be catching up. But the way it works is you reach out for an appointment, then you send him what you have, he reviews it with you via Google Chat, then he goes off and writes you a new draft based on what you discussed during the chat.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Blurb3947 posted:

I had Danny help me out with mine but honestly was not very impressed with it. It'll help with the content maybe, but definitely not the way it's laid out or designed. Seconding using ChatGPT to help write out your quantifiable bullet points. Also check the resume subreddit as there's lot of good tips if you search a bit.

Yeah he helps with the content and writing, not the design and layout. I'd take what he gives you and copy/paste it into a template. If you want something fancier looking just buy one that looks nice on Etsy. Just be sure to run it through some sort of ATS checker afterwards to make sure the formatting doesn't confound the software.

Bouillon Rube posted:

So I’ve been with the same company since I graduated college (2011) and am looking to change companies/industries. Obviously I’ve been out of the game for a while and apparently there is now a robot that must be pleased before an actual human will look at my resume- is there a good general guide somewhere to accomplishing this?

Job posting services like Indeed and LinkedIn will let you run your resume through their ATS checks. They really encourage you to make your own in-house resume using their service but you can still upload a PDF of your own resume and have that scanned. Another clue is those annoying job application forms where you upload your resume and then fill in a bunch of fields with info already in your resume. A lot of those forms will try to read your resume and fill the fields in automatically. If the fields never seem to auto-fill correctly that's probably a clue your resume is hard to parse.

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all here. I've been on the job hunt the last several weeks and these are just some of the things I've figured out. Other people with more experience might have better answers.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 14, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm pretty sure lots of people run into that.

DEATH TO WORKDAY

Ah, sorry if that's was obvious to everyone else. My dumb rear end took a little while to put two and two together as I dutifully cleared and corrected all the fields that got populated with the wrong info.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Do certifications typically go under "skills" on a resume?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Okay, makes sense to leave them under "skills" unless you've got enough to warrant an entire section.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

One of my biggest frustrations is the lack of feedback on why I get screened out on a given job. Am I just applying for jobs I'm under qualified for or do I have some sort of red flag on my resume that's not obvious to me?

Like, what are some things that get people sent straight to the 'no' pile?

Edit: I mean aside from the obvious "they have zero qualifications and are clearly just applying to everything they can find" applications.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 21, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

The chances of me ever finishing that thing are next to zero. I'd get more milage taking an agile/scrum cert or spending some time learning a new framework then I ever would spending a year getting the remaining courses for that thing.

Speaking of which, has anyone here messed with scrum certification lately? It looks like there are two popular ones out there:
It seems like CSM is the more popular but it sounds like they have a reputation for being more interested in selling training courses since paid classroom time is required but the actual evaluation is easy. Meanwhile it sounds like PSM doesn't require formal classroom trailing and is more about whether you know the material or not.

Or is this the sort of thing that nobody in the real world has a strong opinion on?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

We have "delivery managers" which are scrum masters combined with partial PO duties. I typically see CSM, but it's not a "check box get job". We usually like to see some project management experience and some industry experience.

Unfortunately I don't have any professional experience with agile/scrum but I see it all over the place so I figured getting some base level certification is the best I can do at this point.

It's the classic chicken/egg problem where you need a particular industry experience but you can't get it due to lack of said industry experience.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TheCondor posted:

I have Application Engineer on my resume, I'm concerned it will just get screened out if I roll with Software Developer since it doesn't line up at all with the jobs I'm applying for.

Huh, I'm actually interested to know if this is even an issue or not. One of my previous job titles was some made up nonsense that nobody outside that company would have heard of so I just list that job with a more descriptive and well known title on my resume. lol if that's been a red flag this whole time.

edit: lmao a bit of Googling tells me this actually is a huge red flag even if you're doing it because your previous employer used bullshit job titles. Owned.

So if you are stuck with a bullshit job title like "Imagineer" then are you just dependent on your accomplishments and experience in that job to communicate what you actually did?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 23, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I left my last job voluntarily earlier this year. Should I even address that on my resume? Like list it as:

quote:

Continuing education, Atlanta, GA, March 2023 -Present

Took time away from professional career for self learning in an adjacent field.

I know I could just not mention it and list my work experience in years only. But if they do any sort of employment verification I'm concerned that will look deceptive.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

I don't mind that, if it helps tell a story. I don't think it's required, depends on how your resume looks. Don't make it look like you were employed if you weren't though.

Well, right now it looks like I stopped having a job months ago and I just want to go on record that I wasn't fired, I decided to leave.

Also the self learning part is true. I've learned a ton of stuff (and received a new industry certification) that would have been a huge help in my previous role but there was never time for it. Because we were so understaffed and over-worked. Hence me leaving.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, I didn't leave for education. I left because of burnout and self learning is just what I've been doing with my time since then while also looking for work.

Though now that I'm talking it through, if that's not the reason I left my job then I shouldn't say that's the reason I left my job. So I guess I'm back to saying nothing about it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

So, that's where "What story does this tell" means something. Its ok to retroactively declare "I left to pursue these certs and training", that's fine. But if that story looks like it was a dumb decision it may be better just to leave it off.

Yeah, thanks for the perspective. The job hunt's been rough and I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing different.

Chainclaw posted:

Aside from sociopaths, actual humans in interviews will respond well to a story like “it’s hard to notice burnout coming yourself. I hadn’t realized I was burning out until it was too late, and I needed some time to recover. Now that I’ve been though that, I know to look out for X and Y, and I plan to do Z to better take care of myself.”

Most people get that burnout is real, and it’s a good interview story plus point of discussion.

That’s hard to capture on a resume, though.

Yeah, that's literally what happened. I just squared my shoulders and pushed through the hard times. Only this time the hard weeks and months turned into years and for the first time ever the tank hit empty. I didn't see it coming because it had never happened before.

My problem is I'm not getting the opportunity to explain that to a human and I can't figure out why.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 28, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I dunno if I can redact my resume enough that I'd be comfortable posting it here. We'll see.

Thanks again for the replies though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Speaking to Kyoon's points earlier, I can definitely shorten this to 1 page if I combine my entry level position w/ my main one (It was pretty much the same job except I got a tiny bump in pay and some more responsibility) or if I use columns to push my skills off to the side. I also think it would help w/ the design aspect. How can I utilize columns without wrecking the ATS?

Guess I was bored. Here's an example of how to condense it down to one page. Again, just an example. There might be typos and such.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1683527164312862724

The ATS arm's race is heating up.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Are you sure about that though? :smug:

Definitely failed the IQ test though. I should have clarified it wasn't literally an IQ test, but I had 12 minutes to answer as many questions as possible and they were all puzzles and math questions. Still forgot how exciting it feels to get past the initial screening stage though. Here's to hoping!

I've done a couple of phone/online interviews with a company and now they're asking me to do something similar called a PXT Assessment. They described it as a 90 minute light SAT.

I guess these are common now?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

wash bucket posted:

I've done a couple of phone/online interviews with a company and now they're asking me to do something similar called a PXT Assessment. They described it as a 90 minute light SAT.

I guess these are common now?

Okay this thing really was just the SAT all over again. And apparently it spits out something like this?

lol at how much of hiring people is handled by "systems" now. Applicant tracking software decides if a resume is worth looking at. Assessment tests decide if a candidate is worth interviewing. Everything just turns into a number.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've actually had interview processes where I've made it past HR to the team leads and then HR will jump back in with a personality test or some such nonsense.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For anyone else looking for computer toucher jobs, does it feel like something changed this month? Employers have been way more responsive and recruiters seem much more active too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

Maybe some of it has to do with it being the end of summer and not as many people being on vacation?

Do some people still get to take vacations without their work phone and laptop?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

strangehamster posted:

Yeah absolutely, Fall is hiring season.

Cool, good to know. I've only ever been involved with filling open roles after someone leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread.

I'm looking for a new job, because I want to leave my current one. I work in industrial maintenance, currently in a facility that produces soft drink bottles, and I'd like to continue in that field. I haven't job searched in a few years. Does anyone know of a specific job site that caters to that sort of industry? Or is LinkedIn and Indeed still the main hotness for job searching?

To answer your original question: all the major manufacturing operations in my area seem to still be posting on Indeed and LinkedIn. Funny enough, I had a manufacturing maintenance company reach out to me last week via Indeed because I'm in an adjacent field.