Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Trip report: nothing like an interview to make you painfully aware of how basic your recent employer's offerings are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a dingus posted:

Waiting for an offer for this company & I was hoping they could match my 3 weeks + 1 unpaid vacation. It looks like they offer 4 weeks paid.

Then I was thinking about how I'd miss the company wide shutdown between Christmas & New years each year... only to speak to my boss yesterday and hear they may be doing away with that.

Fingers crossed things work out because I'm gonna cya later real fast.
Sounds like either way you're up so. :yotj:

What I meant about myself was the interview questions illustrated that the kind of work my former employer was happy to sell to clients is not of particularly high standard and I have been left with glaring holes in my professional knowledge that I didn't even know existed until they were poked at.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds like either way you're up so. :yotj:

What I meant about myself was the interview questions illustrated that the kind of work my former employer was happy to sell to clients is not of particularly high standard and I have been left with glaring holes in my professional knowledge that I didn't even know existed until they were poked at.
Seems like they weren't as glaring as I thought, since I've moved onto the next step. Moving country has put me back at the "take this technical assessment" level though :gbsmith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is it worth asking UK based HR for feedback on why they've decided not to progress with your application after the HR screening interview? I'm pretty sure it's because they got the vibe that I aimed low with the role and would be bored but it'd be nice to get confirmation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bee posted:

I'm in Australia, not the UK, but I don't think that you've really got anything to lose by asking for generic feedback after an interview. They either give it to you or they don't.
I'm wondering if it's even worth the time to type out the email. I'm used to Ireland where you're kind of lucky if they even tell you they've received your application.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently there's also a bias towards the first candidate interviewed on a given day, so the later in the day you are the harder you have to work to stand out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanks to the advice in this thread I've got myself a provisional offer. Now to wait for the package on Monday and off to the Negotiations thread.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah thanks thread. Very helpful advice!

e: oh noooo page snipe
Good snipe TBH :yotj:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Edit: meant to post in negotiations thread.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Leon Sumbitches posted:

They called me just to tell me that they went with someone else.

What an emotional rollercoaster.

I had that happen once. It seems to mean that there was literally just a hair between you and the person that got it, and they want to keep you sweet just in case that dude gets a better offer or ghosts them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Krispy Wafer posted:

They offered the top of the discussed range so I did not negotiate.

My current gig in tech operations for a very large retailer known for aprons has me working weekends and holidays for 12 hours at a time. I'm happy with how the compensation worked out. This gives me back a big chunk of work/life balance.

It also occurred to me that I have not resigned from a job in 20 years. I've been laid off and my contract has expired, but no resignations. It feels so weird.

If you've gone from 12 hour days to 8 hour days and you didn't take a 33% paycut then you're still up TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

I would say I generally don't agree with that statement in the OP, though its probably true most people spend too much real estate . New grads should probably skip it, people with Junior/Intermediate experience should probably have a 1 line that gives a quick explanation (ex: in tech "Backend Engineer with Java and MongoDB experience"). Senior exp/managers can have more but at that point it starts depending a lot on how you're formatting/marketing yourself.
You are describing a summary, or headline. An objective is a goal. IE: "I want to get hired for lots of money".

TBH I have no idea why anyone would ever ask for an objective at all, but a career summary makes perfect sense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If they are being treated as synonymous then yes, it is the hiring managers who are wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you can get a better bit of paper for just $100 then that's an easy decision to make. You'll get it back on your first payday.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had a typo in one of my job titles for two subsequent jobs at one point, and nobody I asked to proof-read it caught it :iiam:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wouldn't bother. If you're looking for an IT role it'll be assumed that your speed is "enough" TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That shows you have experience in interpreting regulatory frameworks, exposure to important concepts of data protection, and good communication skills. Presumably you also delivered at least some of that via powerpoint, so there's an implied familiarity with productivity suites there too. It's a pretty valuable thing to mention.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yep, this is the gist of it -- four years of design school teaches fundamentals of research and application that can be further specialized. My project experience can be re-worded to highlight the CX principles I applied and I'm creating portfolio artifacts to show what I did through a CX lens. I got this idea from other architects who have made the same move successfully and are now making 3x as much and doing more fulfilling work.
Instead of talking about your assumed "unique perspective" talk about this and how it's a natural progression and you like the work more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Really reminds me of careers advice I got in school which amounted to "if you know someone in the field ask them if you can take them for coffee and pick their brain on breaking into the industry". Really made it clear that it was how they got their job, and they had great success in the following decades telling private school kids to go get a job from dad or his friends in the bank. Not so great for anyone who wasn't paying their way to be there though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's terrible advice when given regardless of whether or not the person you're talking to has reason to know anyone in those fields. When I was growing up social mobility in Ireland was a new thing we were just trying out for the first time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moana posted:

I mean, that's how I got my last job in finance, just asking people for informational interviews and chit chatting for a half hour about what the job is like. I didn't know anyone in the field beforehand, but maybe I just got lucky?
It's probably location dependant as to how viable it is, but this was advice given to people leaving the equivalent of high-school at a time when going to college was a new thing that people could afford to do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just say you're interested in learning more and you'll get back to her on that detail when you've learned more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Follow normal internet rules and apologize if the cars show up, fully expecting the other party to demand more cat?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jumpsuit posted:

Both recruiters 2 and 3 are being super pushy and want me to confirm that only they can represent me and that I haven't applied through any other recruiters.
This kind of exclusivity thing is wild to me when recruiters try push it. They're implying that you commit to only accepting jobs that they find for you, so what exactly is the upside for you here? Tell 'em both to gently caress off and do it harshly enough that they never bother you again TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mentally define "far along" as "waiting on an offer letter" and reply with "no" unless you're doing that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

Why do so many recruiters want to talk before they send me a loving job description? Is there something I don't understand about this?
I think it's a way of optimising the process of working out what your goals and expectations are via getting you to do it for them rather than sending you a bunch of different jobs and having to intuit why you picked one over another to apply to. It always feels that way at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Way back when I was funemployed I got a call at about 4PM asking me why I wasn't in an interview that the company had forgotten to tell me about. Given that I was funemployed I'd stayed up all night doing something stupid with friends, so they woke me up and I was :derp: for a few minutes thinking it was my fault. I've also been the only person sitting in an online interview for 30 minutes before one person popped in to tell me they accidentally scheduled client work for everyone that day. :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gonna echo that. No reason to burn the bridge right now, but set expectations that you aren't going to be waiting by the phone for them. A month isn't that long a delay in recruitment anyway, so maybe this is just them being straight with you and it ends up being a great sign for how they are to work for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trickortreat posted:

3. Someone advised me to remove my master's since I have a doctorate. Do I need to explain that my doctorate is the highest one completed? Or is it pretty much implied?
The doctorate is pretty obviously the highest one, but having recently done a masters myself it's confirmed my opinion that most university courses are just exercises in hoop jumping that prove you can jump through stupid hoops to employers. Employers love hoop jumping. Why would you take a year of hoop jumping experience off your resume?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not sure about the UK because I haven't bothered to check, but I know there's nothing in Irish law that requires an employee to submit to drug testing unless they agreed to it in their contracts. Even with being what is technically known as "a dry shite" I'd still refuse because gently caress any employer telling me what I can and can't do outside of work hours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh, there are varying ways you can slow the flood a bit. Not all of them are super legal though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Some cryptobro on Twitter was whining about it not being a protected class because people were mean to him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

Its a joke ref to my red text: ""CRYPTOCURRENCY ENTHUSIAST" IS NOT A PROTECTED CLASS"

I got it in the YOSPOS interviewing thread because one poster who was an IC on a hiring panel declined a candidate because he asked "what are some technologies you're excited about?" and the candidate answered "blockchain". The OP was overruled and said the candidate turned out to be a good hire. The job was for computer touching but did not involve blockchain and no follow up questions like "why blockchain?" were asked.

I don't hold any crypto or really "get" the value of the blockchain but to me this is an example of how negativity bias leads to hiring discrimination even in well meaning people. After 100+ interviews I see that people from different backgrounds will give answers that seem dumb when I view them through the lens of my experiences, but once they explain why it makes a lot of sense. (Or is really dumb and I don't hire them.) There are plenty of good and bad reasons why that dude could have answered blockchain, but since he wasn't asked, imposing the OP's own biases regarding blockchain led to the wrong decision.

Several posters then informed OP he was doing the lords work and I got this red text. TBH I kinda like it...I do post about hiring and employment law stuff a fair amount.
Oh wow, your redtext completely slipped my mind. I have actually seen that thread on Twitter and found it extremely :allears: because it was combined with a huge pile of white middle class dude cluelessness about what a "protected class" actually means.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trickortreat posted:

One time, I got a rejection email that didn't even state which position or company it was for.
Presumably the email address provided a clue, or did it come via Indeed's mailer or similar?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covok posted:

Your thoughts?
Based on the bait and switch I think you should bail and report the posting to whatever board you found it on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It might be worth calling them back to clarify, but if 24/7/365 is expected in that field then it's not likely that they're the unicorn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh wait, yeah. America. Taxes. gently caress everything about that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm curious as to what you are using for the filtering question. Domain-specific information?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Would making up the judge help if you told them what court they sat on? My non-law type brain says that's a pretty reasonable question that'll take a few minutes typing at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but I mean if you don't give them a real judge's name then you don't have to tell them not to call the judge, and you don't risk a dipshit blaming your company for pissing off a judge.