Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

I'd say Craigslist, ebay, or even Amazon if you want the most money. I got offers for $320 for my 16gb 5 refurb.

Amazon prices seem all over the map.

Better trade in for the 16gb than the 32gb but pray to God that you don't drop into the acceptable category.

Big City Drinkin posted:

Does Apple even release that info, or will we need to wait for an iFixit teardown or something similar?

Apple doesn't put that info out because they'll put as much ram into it as they feel is enough. Specs just lead to pissing contests.

You'll have to wait for the iFixit teardown or first benchmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Amazon prices seem all over the map.

Better trade in for the 16gb than the 32gb but pray to God that you don't drop into the acceptable category.

I should have specified, not trade in but rather sell it using an Amazon Seller account (which is free minus fees from the sale). They show up in the same fashion that every other item does on Amazon except with your business/username listed obviously.

The biggest caveat is that it takes two weeks for you to get your money in case they file a complaint or return it.

I was able to sell my 16gb 4S that had general wear and tear for $220 so their trade in values are garbage.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

xilni posted:

Anyone had success connecting their iOS 8 GM iPhones to their Yosemite Public Beta Macbook Pro?

I can't seem to get the two to connect via Bluetooth and I'm wondering if it's because the GM was meant to be used with the dev betas and not the public betas.

I don't see a way to do this either, and I think it's because it just isn't in the public Mac beta yet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My dad is looking to buy a AT&T 5C or 5S this afternoon, I know some stores have been kicking back some of their 2 year contract commissions on the older models to clear out stock, I think Target and Best Buy were offering gift cards?

Does anyone know the best place locally to buy a 5C or 5S today?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

maduin posted:

I don't see a way to do this either, and I think it's because it just isn't in the public Mac beta yet.

This is the Apple equivalent of them blueballing me. WHY?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Handoff stuff is definitely in the DP builds.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

xilni posted:

This is the Apple equivalent of them blueballing me. WHY?

Probably because it's useless without iOS 8 and only developers have access to it. So it's in the DP but not in the public beta.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

So which version of the iPhone is the one to buy off-contract? http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Applying previous logic, one should get the Verizon version (A1549 CDMA) because it works with Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

It seems that the Sprint version (A1586) incrementally supports the TD-LTE and TD-SCDMA bands, but my understanding is that it cannot be unlocked for domestic use.

Why would Apple not release the A1586 as the off-contract version? It doesn't seem to make sense. I travel a ton and would love to have the extra bands for roaming/SIM card swapping.

So piggybacking off of this - I want a iPhone 6 that is compatible with T-mobile and Verizon (planning to start with tmo, but unsure coverage will suffice and VZW is my next best option for both coverage and price reasons). Does model A1549 CDMA fit that bill, and if so, will it be available off contract? Or do we even know yet? I want to upgrade from my 4s ASAP.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anybody running iOS 8 having trouble with not always being able to swipe up to dismiss a notification? I can't tell when it will and won't work, so I'm not sure of a possible cause - there doesn't seem to be a trend as to when it happens or what app it's with.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Selling my unlocked 5S is tougher than it ever was selling a locked phone previous years. Why? I do not know.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

noirstronaut posted:

Selling my unlocked 5S is tougher than it ever was selling a locked phone previous years. Why? I do not know.

Because it is a huge upgrade cycle, lots and lots of people were holding out for the larger screens.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Three Olives posted:

Because it is a huge upgrade cycle, lots and lots of people were holding out for the larger screens.

Just like the 4S to 5, but I literally sold my 4S within minutes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

noirstronaut posted:

I'm about to be in the market for a 5s but an waiting for prices to drop further. Maybe people are holding out?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does Apple still just let you trade in in store? They did that last year when my wife got a 4S

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Snowy posted:

I'm about to be in the market for a 5s but an waiting for prices to drop further. Maybe people are holding out?

Maybe. I'm only selling mine for $400 and I've only had one bite from someone out of country.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

So piggybacking off of this - I want a iPhone 6 that is compatible with T-mobile and Verizon (planning to start with tmo, but unsure coverage will suffice and VZW is my next best option for both coverage and price reasons). Does model A1549 CDMA fit that bill, and if so, will it be available off contract? Or do we even know yet? I want to upgrade from my 4s ASAP.
Yes, the A1549 CDMA is the one you want. It's unknown if you'll be able to buy it off contract at launch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FishBulb posted:

Does Apple still just let you trade in in store? They did that last year when my wife got a 4S
Aw dude, don't do that. You can get so much more for it by putting it on Craigslist than you can by using a trade-in program.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Big City Drinkin posted:

Does Apple even release that info, or will we need to wait for an iFixit teardown or something similar?

Usually the latter. I don't recall Apple even discussing internals in the past when it came to the iPhone.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw dude, don't do that. You can get so much more for it by putting it on Craigslist than you can by using a trade-in program.

As someone whose first and only smartphone so far is the 32GB iPhone 5 from Verizon -- and who has no experience selling/trading in phones -- how would this exchange take place? Am I right in assuming that I would have to buy the new iPhone first to disassociate my phone number from the old iPhone 5? And would such an old phone realistically fetch more than $300 by the time the 6 is out? I was originally thinking of doing a trade-in until reading this thread and realizing that private party deals seem to be better.

Sorry for the level of cluelessness exhibited in this post.

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 10, 2014

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The battery life on the 8.0GM is significantly improved over the beta builds (dur). It's back to being like the first revision of 7.0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jay-V posted:

As someone whose first and only smartphone so far is the 32GB iPhone 5 from Verizon -- and who has no experience selling/trading in phones -- how would this exchange take place? Am I right in assuming that I would have to buy the new iPhone first to disassociate my phone number from the old iPhone 5? And would such an old phone realistically fetch more than $300 by the time the 6 is out? I was originally thinking of doing a trade-in until reading this thread and realizing that private party deals seem to be better.

Sorry for the level of cluelessness exhibited in this post.
You just wipe the phone in Settings, remove your SIM to disassociate the number and sell it. It's actually real easy. There's guides for how to safely prepare your phone for sale on YouTube and stuff if you're confused about it.

And I don't know about a 5 since it's 2 generations ago, but maybe you could get $300 for it. I've sold like 3 of my iPhones on Craigslist, all 16GB models, for $200+. People on Craigslist jump at the chance to buy up iPhones, too. You put that poo poo on there and within a few hours you'll have it sold.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also make sure to disable iMessage and Find My iPhone before wiping.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh yeah, that too. Don't wanna forget that :v:

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Got it, thanks for the tips. Threw out that figure because (in case anyone didn't see) Wal-Mart might possibly be offering $300 toward a new iPhone if anyone has the 5: http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2013/09/10/walmart-launches-smartphone-trade-in-program-in-the-us

If I sold my phone on Craigslist now, I'd pretty much be using a pre-paid phone until I buy the iPhone 6, correct?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, I want to sell my unlocked 32gb 4S and buy a 32gb 5s... I don't really need a 6/6+, and I'm not sure I can afford the obscene fees/contracts in the UK. Plus, I have an iPad 4. Has anyone got any advice about when to buy an 5s? I'm currently on a pay as you go sim card contract so I can swap over quite easily. I'm assuming the correct strategy is to wait a week or so until people actually get the 6's?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Per Apple, iMessage/Facetime/etc. is now disabled as part of the wipe. Find My iPhone, yes, you still need to disable manually so it's not activation locked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Per Apple, iMessage/Facetime/etc. is now disabled as part of the wipe. Find My iPhone, yes, you still need to disable manually so it's not activation locked.

The Apple store is even careful to make sure you manually disable Find My iPhone when you do an in store swap, apparently no one has the ability to remove the pairing except the owner of the passcode.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
It's also one of the key features of T-Mobile's test drive terms. Forgot to turn off Find My iPhone? Congratulations, you just spent $700!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Molten Llama posted:

If you have more than 5 minutes of free time, you're probably much better off selling it yourself.

Edit: Just checked Verizon's trade-in prices. Even with the promotional rates, yeah, they're paying slightly more than half of what a 5 sells for privately.
Really? I'm not seeing this. Craigslist is all over the place right now and ebay is showing about the same as swappa, which is only $50 more than tmo/verizon(/sprint) tradein appraisal.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

japtor posted:

Well I guess they're embracing the whole "phablet" nature of it by treating it as a large screen to an extent, i.e. using some iPad layout schemes. It'll be interesting to see how third parties adapt cause if they've been using the new auto layout stuff for iPhone/iPad views, they should get the new big phone optimized view semi automagically. I thought the resolution was curious, I get 1920x1080p is a standard res but it's arbitrary when talking about iOS devices. New PPI screws with the whole screen points system they've established over the last 7 years.

iPhone 6 Plus renders the screen at 2208×1242 (@3x) and then scales it down to 1080p. I'll be interested to see how the 6 and 6 Plus compare performance wise. 6 Plus could go longer without throttling due to head since it's so large, but the extra demands from rendering higher could negate that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Molten Llama posted:

It's also one of the key features of T-Mobile's test drive terms. Forgot to turn off Find My iPhone? Congratulations, you just spent $700!

The T-Mo terms say you're out $100 for that.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

For the OzGoons, Optus has announced that preorders open 5pm on the 12th (vie Twitter. I assume that Telstra/Virgin will have a similar timeframe.

Optus is also trading in old phones, $250 for my iPhone 5 in good condition which seems like an okay deal. Anyone know where to get a better price?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Is it better to go through the Apple store to pre order or the carrier? In the past I've just always gone into my local store and picked one up but I can't do that this year. Prices for 5S are really weird here also, Craigslist for a 32gb 5S is right around $350. I got a $300 offer from gazelle on my 16gb 5S.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Any idea when Apple will start preorders on Friday? Is it typically midnight pacific time?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Any idea when Apple will start preorders on Friday? Is it typically midnight pacific time?
Typically, yes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nask26 posted:

Is it better to go through the Apple store to pre order or the carrier?
Apple unless you're doing something weird with your plan.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Using the app also produces quicker and easier results. It's a simple process and there's no 501 errors and hangups.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
That's why I'm taking a nap and waiting up at 12:30 (Mountain Time).

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I haven't done it in a couple years, but are there any concerns now a days with installing a GM on an iPhone without a dev account?

I remember it used to work fine but it sometimes would nag you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

I haven't done it in a couple years, but are there any concerns now a days with installing a GM on an iPhone without a dev account?

I remember it used to work fine but it sometimes would nag you.
Device registration is not required for the iOS 8 GM.

• Locked thread