Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://bhvr.com/eternalcrusade/

Behaviour Interactive has obtained the rights to create a wholly new MMORPG persistent war experience for PC, PS4 and Xbox One set in Games Workshop’s universe of the 41st Millennium. In the game, players choose a Warhammer 40,000® race and fight directly as one of their warriors in massive conflicts for territory. It will be up to each faction’s community to determine their own destiny as they vie for control of an entire planet.

>Main features of the game include:
>•Experience the gameworld with 3rd-person, behind the shoulder action featuring precision gunplay and brutal melee combat with excruciating finishers;

>•Participate in a persistent online war to conquer the planet, its fate completely in the hands of the players;

>•Become a warrior from one of four initial factions, each unique and opposed to one another: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and Eldar.

>•Participate in truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources.

>•Get behind the controls of Space Marine Rhinos, Predators, Ork Battlewagons and other iconic vehicles of the 41st millennium;

>•Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice;

>•Earn the right to customize your builds in a deep progression system drawing on the rich Warhammer 40,000 universe.

>•Found a Battle Squad with friends and prepare for conflict from your customized shared space in orbit - then drop down to the planet together and seek out glory!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/join-eternal-crusade-tm-starting-175130258.html

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
So what were your hopes for a thread about a game that has only just achieved the "obtain a license to make a game" step (Phase 1, on their website), and actual development is "coming soon"?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Silly Newbie posted:

So what were your hopes for a thread about a game that has only just achieved the "obtain a license to make a game" step (Phase 1, on their website), and actual development is "coming soon"?

Since DM bit the dust hard I thought I'd make this thread. :confused:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I'm in on the ground floor of this thread, let the 3 year wait begin!

Killstick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 23, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hope is the first step in the road to disappointment.

Seeing the companies previous works, I cant really be exited at the prospects of them doing an MMO.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behaviour_Interactive

What a high-quality portfolio with extensive action MMO experience.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Whatever, this sounds like Planetside 2 with 40k skins which is basically all I wanted.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1stGear posted:

Are you implying that the lessons learned from making Doritos Crash Course for XBL Arcade won't translate to this medium?

Grecotch Unicycle
Oct 6, 2012

In perpetual motion sickness.
These guys made Jersey Devil; perhaps one of the coolest platformers on the playstation. I wouldn't write these guys off just yet. At least we can speculate there won't be any of that no climb poo poo that hit WoW all of a sudden.

On a serious note, it'd be nice to see what some developers released from the shackles of lovely licensed shovelware will be able to put out (ignoring the fact that this is probably lovely licensed shovelware).

Edit: After careful inspection of the terrible flash animation on the game's site and the poor functionality of the site in general, my hopes are dwindling rapidly.

Grecotch Unicycle fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 12, 2013

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Holy poo poo did I just see a website with a welcome page in the year 2013

Click here to enter, if you DARE

Grecotch Unicycle
Oct 6, 2012

In perpetual motion sickness.

Ronco Showtime posted:

Holy poo poo did I just see a website with a welcome page in the year 2013

Click here to enter, if you DARE

I hope these rights involved some sort of exchange of code and junk, because the Dark Millenium trailer looked great. Fingers crossed for a miracle, ladies and neckbeards.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Revener posted:

Whatever, this sounds like Planetside 2 with 40k skins which is basically all I wanted.

Planetside is basically Warhammer 40K with the grim darkness filed off when you think about it.

Eternal war with no hope of an end in sight? Check.

Guaranteed to die fifteen minutes after spawning into a major fight unless you're some sort of superhuman killing machine that can kill people from half a kilometer away? Check.

Infinite ammo on a strategic scale and a focus on more dakka? Check.

Brutal/corrupt factions duking it out, likely loving over whoever loses? Check.

Throw in a few new outfits with huge shoulderpads and add a few more piked skulls to the environment and you'd have a hard time telling them apart.

Shame this isn't likely to be a continuation of DM though. It looked badass. Especially the whole "rolling around in a squad with NPC's on massive battlefields that included loving titans" thing.

It sounds like they're going the route of a MMOFPS rather than the "massive combat" route that DM was. DM sounded like you'd actually be able to get an army together without having to get half your guild to show up at a specific time due to the concept of NPC minions that was pitched around. The initial pitch for this sounds like it cut out half the stuff DM had in favor of another player based shooter.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 12, 2013

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

1stGear posted:

Doritos crash course owned :colbert:
Plus they're based in Montreal, have a little faith.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
At least the factions are squarely pitted against each other in proper 40k fashion. Ally rules in 6th edition 40k are stupid.

Plus I'm pretty sure I recall the last 40k MMO proposing allied Space Marines/Eldar against Chaos/Orks... which while not technically impossible is highly unlikely as a semi-permanent alliance going by the universe fiction. Eldar are duplicitous scum and the Space Marines both know it and hate them for it. And Ork, well, Orks turn any their partners almost as much as they turn on the enemy. Hell, Orks will just up and start fighting themselves if they feel bored.

Not that any of the above matters as I doubt this developer has the skills to develop a big hairy-balled 40k MMO. If they actually release anything at all I'd place my money on a dismal launch, F2P within a year, increasingly necessary micro-transactions and then the long slow march to cancellation.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Revener posted:

It's a third-person action MMORPG made for consoles and PC. It's probably going to have more in common with Space Marine than with Planetside.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Im not getting my hopes up, the Warhammer IP is cursed to never make a successful game (Dawn of War was made on a day the curse was waning).

Just look at all the previous attempts: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, Dark Milennium Online, Age of Reckoning, Space Marine, Space Marine: Squad Command and many more.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Huh, I was under the impression that Space Marine did alright.

Really sounds like Diable-40k edition which is not a horrible thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OWLS! posted:

Huh, I was under the impression that Space Marine did alright.

Really sounds like Diable-40k edition which is not a horrible thing.

Space Marine was alright, it just became really repetitive and bland. Definitely not nearly as good as it could have been.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

1stGear posted:

Space Marine was alright

Space Marine was really awful in my opinion. The entirety of gameplay was pressing mouse 1 over and over through "hordes" of like 5-10 orks at a time.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Revener posted:

Space Marine was really awful in my opinion. The entirety of gameplay was pressing mouse 1 over and over through "hordes" of like 5-10 orks at a time.

I like the MP in space marine although it kinda got stale after awhile. EC wont be a MMOFPS, more like MMOTPS. Race choices should be narrowed to three, four is really ambitious for their scope. Everyone is going to roll SM/CM primarily. Orks is the comedy action and no cares about the eldar.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Killstick posted:

I'm in on the ground floor of this thread, let the 3 year wait being!

I know it's really early but I'm going to go on ahead and complain about the buggy engine and lackluster endgame content.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dibs on being the first person in the thread to call them out on ignoring and absolutely destroying the established lore and going to lots of inconsistent and unbelievable plot devices.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

CheeseSpawn posted:

I like the MP in space marine although it kinda got stale after awhile. EC wont be a MMOFPS, more like MMOTPS. Race choices should be narrowed to three, four is really ambitious for their scope. Everyone is going to roll SM/CM primarily. Orks is the comedy action and no cares about the eldar.

I dunno, if I could be a Dark Eldar rolling around with poison weapons and slave girls I would probably play nonstop

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

Dibs on being the first person in the thread to call them out on ignoring and absolutely destroying the established lore and going to lots of inconsistent and unbelievable plot devices.

40k is old, huge and wacky enough for there to be precedent for almost any stunt they could pull barring like... Marine and Dark Eldar fistbumps.

At least 40k is a good MMO setting in terms of a) easy availability of superhuman warriors and b) endless meatgrinding conflicts without any clear resolution. And clearly drawn factional lines (although factions as an MMO concept sucks balls)

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 13, 2013

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

God its always Space Marines, Chaos, Orks and Elves

I wanna play as a Tau or a Necron dammit

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

40k is old, huge and wacky enough for there to be precedent for almost any stunt they could pull barring like... Marine and Dark Eldar fistbumps.

At least 40k is a good MMO setting in terms of a) easy availability of superhuman warriors and b) endless meatgrinding conflicts without any clear resolution. And clearly drawn factional lines (although factions as an MMO concept sucks balls)

That is true but you also have to remember that 40k is a Tabletop Wargame. It doesn't matter what happens, it's different and I'm going to complain about it loudly.

E: where's grognards.txt when you need it

E2: Add this to the OP:

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?read=7493&game=954&ismb=1

MMORPG.com posted:

Miguel told us straight away that the game will be available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 as a premium Free-to-Play MMORPG. The free race available to everyone will be the Orks. But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine. Behaviour expects that F2P members will always outnumber paid players and the Ork Boyz are their way of balancing F2P with paid members. Once someone becomes invested in the game, they can purchase the other races and open up the full progression paths for each (including the Orks).

RIP in peace Eternal Crusade

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 13, 2013

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

Babe Magnet posted:

They've finally done it. They've raised Pay to Win to an actual science.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Welp, I dont why Games Workshop cant catch a break.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I give up on waiting for a good warhammer 40k MMO.

Instead I hope one day a good Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Black Crusade videogame will be appear, made by bioware/obsidian/bethesda whatever!

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
The F2P model that forces players to subscribe unless they wanna be weak Ork Boyz forever goes pretty well with GW's current policy of taking as much money from as few people as possible. But maybe the game will never come out be good. Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

:negative:

e:population balance one week after launch

Dracneir fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 13, 2013

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Wow, holy poo poo. This is the worst idea I have ever heard in relation to free to play games ever. There is nothing they could say, nothing, that can top how terrible of an idea this is.

This bodes well for the future of the game. "Pay us money or you will forever be a literal trash mob to people that paid up."

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BombiTheZombie posted:

Im not getting my hopes up, the Warhammer IP is cursed to never make a successful game (Dawn of War was made on a day the curse was waning).

Just look at all the previous attempts: Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, Dark Milennium Online, Age of Reckoning, Space Marine, Space Marine: Squad Command and many more.

Warhammer: Dark Omen :colbert:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Space Marine multiplayer was loving awesome, in my opinion, one of the best, most fun, arena-style shooter multiplayers ever. Tactical, hectic and with a high skill-ceiling, the mix of melee and shooting probably had the best execution and balance of any game that I've played. It's a shame Relic is apparently run by morons, who couldn't see that splitting the community 3-4 times over, with each of the 'pay for' DLC expanions, killed it completely. I'd probably still be playing it, if they hadn't hosed it.

Meanwhile, if I pay enough money, do you think I can play as a dreadnaught and be as powerful as 30 Orks? Because, I literally couldn't give them my money fast enough. No, seriously, it seems like the most god awful idea I've ever heard, but if they're planning just to make bank on it for a few months and then just let it sink (crash/burn), it's probably a good to squeeze some extra money out of people.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

BombiTheZombie posted:

Wow, holy poo poo. This is the worst idea I have ever heard in relation to free to play games ever. There is nothing they could say, nothing, that can top how terrible of an idea this is.

This bodes well for the future of the game. "Pay us money or you will forever be a literal trash mob to people that paid up."

It's like saying that a save-disabled, time-limited demo of an application is "free to use" because it doesn't send an intern out to your house to kick you in the testicles when you double-click it.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
If they're going to do P2win, then warhams have to be the best target for it. Pretty sure I'd fork over 200 dollars to play a warboss if it meant I could boss around little f2p grunts.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I mentioned this to someone, and he said he'd shell out multiple hundred if they let him play a Necron Lord. So :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im willing to pay a lot of money to play a pretty princess Battle Sister but thats not gonna happen will it :colbert:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Behold: the first spike on the railway that will eventually carry this trainwreck to its hilarious conclusion.

Narrowurethra
Mar 11, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I mentioned this to someone, and he said he'd shell out multiple hundred if they let him play a Necron Lord. So :v:

There is no excuse for not shelling out thousands of dollars to play a harlequin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Hope really does lead straight to disappointment when it comes to 40k MMOs, huh? Who could possibly think that that is a good idea?

• Locked thread