Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

randombattle posted:

WAR was a mistake because it should have been a 40k mmo instead of trying to compete with WoW.

Eh, to be honest one of the things that drew me into WAR was that it was Warhammer Fantasy. Like 40K's cool and all, but ye olde Warhammer is awesome for entirely different reasons. Chalk me up to another guy with that big ole collector's box too, can't say I regret it though because at least the big hardback books that came with it will always be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

randombattle posted:

WAR was a mistake because it should have been a 40k mmo instead of trying to compete with WoW.

Also healers who can heal indefinitely and for huge amounts of damage, can rez in combat, and who're as tanky as the tankiest tanks. Nothing like spending an entire 15 minutes in a battleground just wailing on the same 5 warrior priests who are nearly unkillable, and even if your entire team does focus one down, he's rezzed and healed seconds afterward.

WAR had by far the worst PvP I've ever seen in a MMORPG.

e: Although Nordland wasn't bad. PvP where AOEs don't dominate and where healers are crazy powerful wasn't so bad.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 7, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yardbomb posted:

Eh, to be honest one of the things that drew me into WAR was that it was Warhammer Fantasy. Like 40K's cool and all, but ye olde Warhammer is awesome for entirely different reasons. Chalk me up to another guy with that big ole collector's box too, can't say I regret it though because at least the big hardback books that came with it will always be neat.

Luckily World of Warcraft still exists and you can get an mmo in an almost identical setting. I mean it's impossible to count the number of fantasy mmos that exist yet there's no mmo that is similar in setting to 40k.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So they released a WiP of some Founder's gear. Looks like a purse.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Needs more choppy :orks101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skoll posted:

So they released a WiP of some Founder's gear. Looks like a purse.

It's a space marine sports bra.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Zaodai posted:

It's a space marine sports bra.

It's clearly an ork bra.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
A fast ork bra

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Needs more choppy :orks101:

WIP! The dev team has ensured us that both of them are long time fans of choppy bits.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Still mad Commissar won't be a class.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

BadLlama posted:

They need to make it! The special ability would be executing one of the pubbies on your own side without any penalty to give the rest of your team some form of bonus.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WhoNeedsAName posted:

They need to make it! The special ability would be executing one of the pubbies on your own side without any penalty to give the rest of your team some form of bonus.

Even better what they should do is make it so it's a randomly selected buff within the team. So it works like Left 4 Dead where one guy gets to be the Tank. Except in this case, the guys who start mouthing off at the player who got to be Commissar have to watch how much they rage lest they get shot in the face. :D

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Lassitude posted:

Also healers who can heal indefinitely and for huge amounts of damage, can rez in combat, and who're as tanky as the tankiest tanks. Nothing like spending an entire 15 minutes in a battleground just wailing on the same 5 warrior priests who are nearly unkillable, and even if your entire team does focus one down, he's rezzed and healed seconds afterward.

WAR had by far the worst PvP I've ever seen in a MMORPG.

e: Although Nordland wasn't bad. PvP where AOEs don't dominate and where healers are crazy powerful wasn't so bad.

I really liked that they turned noclip off and you can have a wall of tanks blocking a doorway, and healers could have a secondary target that they applied their spells to while still focusing on an enemy. Trophies were a cool idea even if they never really got off the ground, siege weapons were fun if sort of ineffective (seriously your ballista shots or whatever could be healed by their passive healing), and other stuff like open quests that auto-group you and stuff were really cool. I loved WaR, if only for the look of the game. Also had some really fun character concepts - Knights in a game that weren't Paladins, Healers who heal by hitting things, and Witch Hunter was just the best "thief" concept ever. Rapier and flintlock pistols forever. Tanks with combos.

I miss WaR.

(Edit: I forget the dude's name, but the mouthpiece who was always talking about how cool everything is in WaR just blatantly lied about things and left everyone frustrated. There was constant video journal-type updates where he talked about new things and stuff, and man, he really screwed up.)
E2: Paul Barnett.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 29, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BadLlama posted:

Well if the game is decent and does well there is a good chance the Imperial Guard will be one of the first additions to the playable armies.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Even better what they should do is make it so it's a randomly selected buff within the team. So it works like Left 4 Dead where one guy gets to be the Tank. Except in this case, the guys who start mouthing off at the player who got to be Commissar have to watch how much they rage lest they get shot in the face. :D

So the Goon guild will comprise entirely of Commissars...

Thats probably why they're not releasing them. Yet.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Not sure anyone is still following this with any regularity, but over in the Road to E3 thread, it's looking like 40K: Eternal Crusade will have a spot there, and is also apparently being published by Square-Enix.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I dunno why I think expecting this out by 2015 or even 2016 is optimistic. There's like nothing to see.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Well, if it's anything like what they've briefly shown in videos, half the work was done for them when Space Marine came out, so they should have a head start :v:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Don't be so sure. It would fit the sad state of 40K video games perfectly if this showed up on Steam early access, encouraging you to pay to play a free to play game in alpha.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Looking through Indie games on Steam that just came out, that may already be the case. There's a $6 multiplayer shooter called Metal Planet that looks like a cartoony Space Marines game. Don't know how it plays, just thought it was amusing to see.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

Don't be so sure. It would fit the sad state of 40K video games perfectly if this showed up on Steam early access, encouraging you to pay to play a free to play game in alpha.

I'm sure they don't want to compete with plants vs zombies 40k edition and warhammer 40k chess with alpha access.

I did play some space marine recently and that game is still rad as gently caress. If EC is half as good it should be fun.

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

and is also apparently being published by Square-Enix.

A second nail has hit the coffin.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
The site send apparently big stuff is happening on the 25th of june. I am hopeful for this game, at the very least judging from the pre-alpha stuff it will play like space marines, which is plus for me.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

pengun101 posted:

The site send apparently big stuff is happening on the 25th of june. I am hopeful for this game, at the very least judging from the pre-alpha stuff it will play like space marines, which is plus for me.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
God bless the Community Manager for trying, but maybe don't try to engage with the hardcore 40K audience by posting a truly godawful mini. Maybe rattle off some lore instead or something, or just leave the topic alone of how unfamiliar you are with the setting.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

randombattle posted:

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

randombattle posted:

This should be the title of the thread.

"Eternal Crusade, a 40K MMO: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This should be the title of the thread.

"Eternal Crusade, a 40K MMO: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

It was in the old thread.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zaodai posted:

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Faith is purest when it is unquestioning.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

E3 news! :neckbeard:

People on the Giant Bomb E3 panel talked about how some publishers had bigger booths than they could fill with meaningful stuff. This lead to an anecdote about Square Enix, where the press had gone to an event for "a Warhammer thing". It turned out to be a 20 minute powerpoint presentation, and apparently the room slowly cleared as people found excuses to be somewhere else.

You can read more about the presentation here from someone who sat through the whole thing.

quote:

Nonetheless, Behaviour is preparing to take your money before there is any gameplay of consequence to show off. On June 25, you will be able to purchase your way into the Eternal Crusade founder's program, which not only nets you a copy of the full game when it's released, but also earns you access to various game modules as they are developed. The most expensive package, selling at $120, earns you access to all four of the game's factions, plus a whole lot of founders points, which you can use to purchase other items in the game. The game itself is currently scheduled to be released at the end of 2015.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 16, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

God bless the Community Manager for trying, but maybe don't try to engage with the hardcore 40K audience by posting a truly godawful mini. Maybe rattle off some lore instead or something, or just leave the topic alone of how unfamiliar you are with the setting.

Yeah I think she's going to have a really tough job being a woman and not knowing the lore. Imaging having to deal with your average lovely 40k gamer for a living.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

It's hard to drum up hype for a game that doesn't exist.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

randombattle posted:

It's hard to drum up hype for a game that doesn't exist.

See: https://robertsspaceindustries.com

They just need to start selling fake Internet spaceships. Hell, they already plan on using an identical "module" roll-out plan, why not go one step further.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Infeckt posted:

See: https://robertsspaceindustries.com

They just need to start selling fake Internet spaceships. Hell, they already plan on using an identical "module" roll-out plan, why not go one step further.

At least star citizen had artwork and models.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

randombattle posted:

At least star citizen had artwork and models.

Yeah, show me a model of the Predator tank I can walk around in and I'll give you my $120 for pixels.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Skoll posted:

Yeah, show me a model of the Predator tank I can walk around in and I'll give you my $120 for pixels.

People joke but if they did something like the hanger module it would go a long way for this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

randombattle posted:

People joke but if they did something like the hanger module it would go a long way for this.

I was only half joking. SC got me for at least that much. :smith:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

randombattle posted:

What I wouldn't give for a game, that could just halfway gave me the ability to play out this comic.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

randombattle posted:

If they came out with a module that was "Walk around Space Marine base, look at fancy Imperial poo poo", and it was visually appealing like Star Citizen's hangar module was, they'd probably get money from me. Not thousands of dollars (... I hope), but they'd almost certainly get a founders pack out of me. At least then I'd have something to judge the game by up close, and the 40k-fanboy part of my brain would overwhelm good sense.

[EDIT]If it looked like Deathwing they'd get all my monies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
This is either going to be awesome
or MWO.

• Locked thread