Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What is so difficult about making a 40k MMO? Make Planetside 2 with a 40k skin, boom, 40k MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

I dunno, if everyone is on an even playing field after buying in, then I'm not so sure it would be P2W. It would be just like something like GW2 (upfront cost and then micro transactions), plus a completely free, limited trial. It all depends on what "buying in" entails. I admit the idea could go horribly wrong, but there's still time for community-wide whining to convince them to take another direction. Things are more set in jello than stone at this point. I really hope they can stumble their way into something great.

Also:

quote:

the core team for Eternal Crusade is actually made up of former Funcom Montreal developers quite familiar with the challenges of working with MMOs.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/13/interview-behaviour-on-warhammer-40k-eternal-crusade/#more-156334

So...maybe that's good? I never played a Funcom game.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Funcom makes terrible MMOs. They got lucky with Anarchy Online and were completely, inexplicably blind as to why it succeeded. Their entire career post-AO was trying out completely random poo poo and then asking the world at large "Was this it?" So no, it's not exactly inspiring to hear that, although we can always hope that it was just management.

Also the Free-to-play Ork Boyz sounded totally rad to me until I read you couldn't even advance all the way up that tree without paying. The perfect free to play environment lets F2P players reach the same level of power progression as P2P players, but affords the P2P players a wider variety of options. Hell, just loving copy Planetside 2 from top to bottom, the work is already done for you, guys, quit trying to reinvent the wheel like every loving 40k game that crashes and burns :negative:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/954/feature/7493/Warhammer-40000-Eternal-Crusade-There-Is-Only-WAR.html

Here is an interview

Dark Angels, Iron Warriors, Eldar and Orks. Free-to-play is Orks only, expected majority. 5 or so Ork players needed to kill 1 Space Marine. Campaigns last 3 months, and each new campaign is an entirely new planet to fight on. Looks like each faction will have 5 or more careers.

Open beta in 18 months

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Why the hell Iron Warriors, the most boring of Legions.

Here's to hoping for lots of customization options and never learning from past mistakes.

quote:

if you decide to listen to your Order’s leadership (again, elected by the players)
The flow of sperg will be never ending.
Has there ever been 'factions led by players' system that hasn't been terrible?

Narrowurethra
Mar 11, 2013

Puistokemisti posted:

Why the hell Iron Warriors, the most boring of Legions

Wider appeal with going towards a chaos undivided legion and to be fair, honsou is an alright character.

I still would have preferred the loyalist faction of space pups and thousand sons scenario but maybe they don't want to mess with the setting *too* much

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
New idea for a free to play race: Imperial Guard. As a F2P player you play an ordinary grunt. Ten grunts equals one space marine and players who have unlocked Commisars may execute any free to play Imperial Guard for a short term buff.

The perfect incentive to get free to play scrubs to pay us.

I expect a letter from the dev team asking me to work for them any moment now.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Dark angels is pretty novel at least. Don't think any other warhammer 40k game has used them as the main space marines.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

Why the hell Iron Warriors, the most boring of Legions.

Here's to hoping for lots of customization options and never learning from past mistakes.
The flow of sperg will be never ending.
Has there ever been 'factions led by players' system that hasn't been terrible?

EVE does it relatively well, I think. And doesn't TERA have some kind of crazy politics system?

KFJ fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 13, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Their F2P alternative is incredibly funny honestly. I think having Space Marines in these games is just dumb because 1 Space Marine is a lot buffer than some Ork Boy in the lore. So to make space marines feel that powerfully they are literraly taking the F2P players and making them cannon fodder for the masses. I just hope paying customers can play an Ork that is just as powerful as any space marine.

Also creamed myself over the commissar idea.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

If this is what I think it is, then that is the Funcom Montreal studio that got closed down a few months ago after a series of layoffs, and "restructuring". It seems a number of them are now on this project. That Montreal studio was the main location of the devs of The Secret World also so what little hopes for this I had, I now have them slightly higher as TSW is a fantastic game and it warms my heart knowing those devs found a new job. But as lore friendly as the f2p model is, it seems horrible for the player. I see the f2pers just quitting outright rather than paying.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Killsion posted:

If this is what I think it is, then that is the Funcom Montreal studio that got closed down a few months ago after a series of layoffs, and "restructuring". It seems a number of them are now on this project. That Montreal studio was the main location of the devs of The Secret World also so what little hopes for this I had, I now have them slightly higher as TSW is a fantastic game and it warms my heart knowing those devs found a new job. But as lore friendly as the f2p model is, it seems horrible for the player. I see the f2pers just quitting outright rather than paying.

Yeah, depending on which devs are now part of Eternal Crusade, this could be a good thing as pretty much all the good devs were in Montreal. There were some really spectacular devs as part of Funcom Montreal (which made it such a what the gently caress moment when they cut it).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to think that the idea of the F2P faction being weaker and taking multiple people is cool, but I really have a feeling that they are going to have a population problem. I can't imagine playing as an Ork, I'd have to purchase the game just because that would be so miserable. I have a feeling a lot of people will do the same thing. Most of the reason F2P models work so well is that people feel like they can buy some cosmetic items and still be competitive.

With this game, they are outright not going to be competitive without purchasing, so I feel like they'll either purchase or choose not to play.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This makes me think of an expanded version of LOTRO's 'monster play' scheme... which I'm pretty sure never really took off either.

People will flock to free-to-play games. That's given. They'll also run right the Hell off at the first whiff of having to spend money to get ahead or perceived unfairness, and five-to-one odds baked in is not going to do much at all for retention.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

1stGear posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behaviour_Interactive

What a high-quality portfolio with extensive action MMO experience.

I see you were impressed by Dorito's Crash Course 2 as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaizer88 posted:

Dark angels is pretty novel at least. Don't think any other warhammer 40k game has used them as the main space marines.

I hope I can be a Terminator. Or at least a Techmarine.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
$100 for a Necron arm and you can literally be Honsou

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

KFJ posted:

EVE does it relatively well, I think.

If by 'relatively well' you mean a never ending wailing and gnashing of teeth, with Stalinist dictatorships controlling huge portions of the game world with an iron fist, then yes.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Broken Knees Club posted:

If by 'relatively well' you mean a never ending wailing and gnashing of teeth, with Stalinist dictatorships controlling huge portions of the game world with an iron fist, then yes.

So it should be entirely in-line with the 40k aesthetic.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

BombiTheZombie posted:

New idea for a free to play race: Imperial Guard. As a F2P player you play an ordinary grunt. Ten grunts equals one space marine and players who have unlocked Commisars may execute any free to play Imperial Guard for a short term buff.

The perfect incentive to get free to play scrubs to pay us.

I expect a letter from the dev team asking me to work for them any moment now.

I'm sure they aren't actually going to have only one of the sides have a free class. Space marines will probably get IG allies, Eldar will have guardians, and Chaos will have cultists/traitor guardsmen. Having ALL of the free players stacked on a single side would be pretty retarded, is all.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lassitude posted:

Having ALL of the free players stacked on a single side would be pretty retarded, is all.

Well this is exactly what they said they are going to do and pretty much everyone has agreed it is retarded. I seriously doubt it will go through like this though if they really want to see $$$ and Games Workshop loves money.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

KFJ posted:

EVE does it relatively well, I think. And doesn't TERA have some kind of crazy politics system?

Yeah, the dozens of people who have podded me because they got hosed by GoonFleet and I used to be a member would probably argue against the EVE system as well.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rujo King posted:

Yeah, the dozens of people who have podded me because they got hosed by GoonFleet and I used to be a member would probably argue against the EVE system as well.

No loving kidding. Some russian dude podded me once and i quit for like 2 years. Then I ran into him when i came back to the game so I jihad ran him while he was afk in jita in a pod for the bitter revenge.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

The only F2P option being low level ork boys sounds hilariously perfect for large scale PvP matches. You've got the premium player space marines decked out in whatever cash shop gear/buffs that will be available, vs a massive horde of f2p ork players that have no idea what they're doing, equipped with the worst possible weapons and armor, loudly shouting insults at everything around them, and picking fights with their own team more than the enemy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

1stGear posted:

What is so difficult about making a 40k MMO? Make Planetside 2 with a 40k skin, boom, 40k MMO.

A customer's wallet is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

In other words, lovely companies like to milk their customers for every red cent. And gently caress innovation if it means we have to spend even something as paltry as $1000 more on development (in their multi million dollar blockbuster game) paying someone to do something new outside the genre standards if it isn't going to make the company tons of money. They can just use the brand name to pull in sales instead. This is part of what tends to gently caress licensed Warhammer games most of the time. :argh:

Seriously though. What the gently caress? The population is going to be massively hosed if that's the way they're going.

Even if they have a free class for every side it's probably going to be a massive clusterfuck of rage quits and whining a month or so in. I look forward to hearing about the local chaos space marine guild named "YOLO Emperor" deciding to corpse camp everyone in an area who isn't a paid subscriber for twelve hours straight. Which in turn will lead to horrible forum topic megathreads and lots of rage quitting from F2P players who simply can't progress high enough to take them out.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 14, 2013

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
It makes sense in a horrific manner because of how many people wont pay a cent into a game, making for a horde.
Thats being said its a really lovely idea, luckily they said it now so people can tell them they are stupid and make it better.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Archonex posted:

Even if they have a free class for every side it's probably going to be a massive clusterfuck of rage quits and whining a month or so in. I look forward to hearing about the local chaos space marine guild named "YOLO Emperor" deciding to corpse camp everyone in an area who isn't a paid subscriber for twelve hours straight. Which in turn will lead to horrible forum topic megathreads and lots of rage quitting from F2P players who simply can't progress high enough to take them out.

We don't know how the game works though. It could be a game that relies upon matchmaking, and is more like World of Tanks than anything else. If that were the case, then like World of Tanks, all they need to do is make sure that the number of F2P players per team is roughly even, just like how WoT makes sure that there are roughly even numbers of top tier tanks per team, per game.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it plays more like Battlefield 3 meets Space Marine than Planetside 2. It kind of sounds like that's how it's going to work, too, with spaceships being player lobbies and "picking an area to attack" being code for selecting a game type and setting map preferences.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have a feeling the "War" is going to work like Global Agenda's Faction war thing where there is a Planet and a bunch of Hexes and squads form up to assault a Hex and the owner has to defend for a certain time. You earn points/resources by holding territory which can be used to add defenses to your HEX just like in GA. If this is how the game ends up its going to be a giant rear end pass for me because gently caress that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lassitude posted:

We don't know how the game works though. It could be a game that relies upon matchmaking, and is more like World of Tanks than anything else. If that were the case, then like World of Tanks, all they need to do is make sure that the number of F2P players per team is roughly even, just like how WoT makes sure that there are roughly even numbers of top tier tanks per team, per game.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it plays more like Battlefield 3 meets Space Marine than Planetside 2. It kind of sounds like that's how it's going to work, too, with spaceships being player lobbies and "picking an area to attack" being code for selecting a game type and setting map preferences.

Possibly. But given how insanely overpowered the classes that are pay to win are likely to be i'd put my money on it being a balancing nightmare. And that's before you count population issues. Given how popular they are, my money is on release day for this game looking more like Space Marines Online.

I mean, five freebie players versus one paid player in terms of power output is a recipe for disaster. Unless they have some sort of hardcapped TF2 style "You can only have so many classes on the battlefield at a time." sort of system, I don't see it working out to anyone's benefit.

If they don't have something like that, then they risk having everyone on one side showing up on day one of release as space marines, warbosses, or farseers and just loving everything that isn't a paid player. Which is a recipe for a failed Warhammer Online style launch, where one faction just dominates the other due to inherent gameplay and population imbalances.

But even then, if they do have class capping then you've essentially screwed over your paying playerbase if they can't get into popular matches/fights/whatever. Which is never a good idea for a company that wants to have the money to develop a game in any significant way beyond its release state. Their current proposed system seems like a lose-lose situation no matter what sort of implementation they go with to me.

Either way, color me skeptical until we learn more. This seems like they're taking some of the ideas from DM, Global Agenda, and Planetside and dumbing them down instead of expanding on concepts that were introduced or elaborated on there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

One solution would be:
1) the number of space marines and the other super powerful classes is veryl imited
2) paying players can queue up to play a space marine
3) as soon as a space marine dies the first player in the queue can choose to respawn as a space marine
4) if you die as a space marine you'll respawn as a regular soldier or whatever and can queue up again

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

One solution would be:
1) the number of space marines and the other super powerful classes is veryl imited
2) paying players can queue up to play a space marine
3) as soon as a space marine dies the first player in the queue can choose to respawn as a space marine
4) if you die as a space marine you'll respawn as a regular soldier or whatever and can queue up again

So you pay to be a space marine and get to play once a week?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So you pay to be a space marine and get to play once a week?

More like 5 min every 30 min or something like thst. But yes.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

More like 5 min every 30 min or something like thst. But yes.

How is that anything but worse?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Archonex posted:

Possibly. But given how insanely overpowered the classes that are pay to win are likely to be i'd put my money on it being a balancing nightmare. And that's before you count population issues. Given how popular they are, my money is on release day for this game looking more like Space Marines Online.

They don't need to be insanely overpowered. What the BE guys said, with a 5x power level, that isn't too crazy in the right context. I mean, what if the game is a 32 v. 32 setup like Battlefield 3, where you take points, on some maps have vehicles, and so on? And what if the matchmaker keeps the number of elite classes balanced between the teams, and caps them at 3 or so per team? I think Planetside 2's ratio of free players vs. people who've spent money on the game is something like 10:1 according to an interview Smedly gave a while ago. In that case, the paid classes become kinda like important team captains or squad leaders, but if one of them runs off alone they'd still get hosed by either a handful of the 29 enemy players who aren't paid classes, or by a single one of the paid classes who has a bit of backup.

For certain game modes their business model wouldn't be terrible, but the game would basically have to enforce balance to prevent 20 paying people from simply roaming around in a group and murdering everyone. And that would mean a matchmaker which auto-balances teams. e: To continue the BF3 analogy, what you'd be getting in that case is something like people who spawn as helicopters or tanks on the vehicle maps. They're powerful things that an individual (free) player is going to want to run away from in most circumstances, and attack from sneaky angles and such, but even though tanks and helicopters are powerful, they aren't going to win the game on their own.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 15, 2013

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Narrowurethra posted:

Wider appeal with going towards a chaos undivided legion and to be fair, honsou is an alright character.

I still would have preferred the loyalist faction of space pups and thousand sons scenario but maybe they don't want to mess with the setting *too* much

Games Workshop actually has really tight control on the setting IP in their licensed games. Every art asset and the story needs to get past their internal grognards. They take it surprisingly serious for a company that once made Bloodbowl.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I hope the melee combat is a bit more complex than most shooters. Im thinking of something like Chivalry has.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
According to the Wikipedia article, Behavior Interactive was previously named Artificial Mind and Movement, or A2M

:a2m:

Not a good sign.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Ixjuvin posted:

40k is old, huge and wacky enough for there to be precedent for almost any stunt they could pull barring like... Marine and Dark Eldar fistbumps.

Well if I'm remembering correctly the Blood Angels already did buddy up with the 3rd edition Necrons to fight tyranids together so really anything is possible at this point.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Well we only have 17 months, 29 days until we can see the fail or success of open beta. Either way it is a 40k game so it can't be that bad right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boozel
Apr 11, 2010

A friend told me about this today. I initially was worried when he said it isn't Relic. Now I'm tabling this game all-together after noticing it's the loving Naughty Bear dev...

• Locked thread