Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Boozel posted:

I initially was worried when he said it isn't Relic

:psyboom:

I know we haven't gotten any decent 40k games but that's no reason to lower your standards like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Revener posted:

I know we haven't gotten any decent 40k games but that's no reason to lower your standards like that.

What? Relic has made the only good 40k games in the past decade and a half. I don't understand the emoticon usage here.

Eternal Crusade looks like Games Workshop is returning to their old policy of trying to farm out their IP to random garbage development houses that they can bludgeon into submission because those tiny studios are too desperate for a big contract like the Warhammer IP to fight hard on the contract. This poo poo is what led to Fire Warrior.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 15, 2013

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
They've mentioned in the interviews that there will be a fifth faction, Tyranids, that will only be controlled by the devs and they will use them to stop any one faction from just steamrolling over everyone. So if you're doing too well you'll be punished with extra attention from NPC mobs. Also I like how they keep talking about how they don't care about balance because real war isn't balanced. Emperor help us.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

+

Senjuro posted:

They've mentioned in the interviews that there will be a fifth faction, Tyranids, that will only be controlled by the devs and they will use them to stop any one faction from just steamrolling over everyone. So if you're doing too well you'll be punished with extra attention from NPC mobs. Also I like how they keep talking about how they don't care about balance because real war isn't balanced. Emperor help us.

I... I can't wait for this to come out. Every line that comes out reminds me of a terrible RPer in STO/WoW/SWTOR who gets tired of being made fun of and decides "I will make my own MMO where everyone RPs and I am a god and I can keep people in line because I can kill them and it will be perfect!"

Which is something I've encountered many a time playing MMOs.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is turning into 'top ten terrible pipe dreams: the MMO'.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
So they want the combat to be like Gears of War/Relic's Space Marine and to have hundreds of players at once, including vehicles. Is that even possible? I guess PlanetSide 2 is the closest analog, how many players can it handle before the server shits itself?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/14/interview-warhammer-40000-eternal-crusades-miguel-caron-shares-his-vision-for-a-next-gen-mmorpg/

Interview in question with the AI Tyranids.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Boozel posted:

A friend told me about this today. I initially was worried when he said it isn't Relic. Now I'm tabling this game all-together after noticing it's the loving Naughty Bear dev...

That the complete wrong way to look at it. The company =/= the developers. They hired some Funcom Montreal devs to do the MMO. (Take that as you will, I have no experience with games they have created.)

As for all the gloom and doom on the P2W stuff, just take a wait-and-see approach. Early statements on MMOs rarely match the final product.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I bet sooner or later Utnayan will pop up in this thread and tell us how awful all those devs are.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Now Im intrigued, never before has an MMO shot itself in the foot before it had a foot to begin with.

I'll be keeping an eye on this game if only for the delicious mistakes it keeps generating.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The fact that they all liked DAoC is so far the most troubling thing.

Their plan to stack all the free players on one side is a distant second, but still a terrible idea.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That interview is a goldmine of awful design vision and stupid ideas.

quote:

if a bunch of Navy Seals decide to form a guild or a chapter and play our game, most likely they will defeat everyone else very fast because they know military strategy, and our game will be a realistic representation of military strategy.

Yeah. Ooooooook.

quote:

G: I see, you expect many free players to be undisciplined like Orks.

M: Exactly! You expect them to be less disciplined. You expect them to be rude. You expect them to defy orders. You expect them to ignore objectives, and to insult you all the time, exactly like Orks would do.

Free players: undisciplined, vulgar scum.

quote:

Just imagine: you spent two hundred dollars on the game. You won four campaigns, and you’re one of the top Space Marine players in your chapter in a huge battle, and suddenly you fail to pay attention and you end up wounded on the ground, and then you see a puny free to play Ork that just started playing the game running towards you and he executes you in a very humiliating way (because Orks are like that), for instance by choking you by sitting with his butt in your face with the teabagging execution he purchased for $1.

He also records it, because we have an API to post things like these on Facebook and Youtube, humiliating you in front of everyone. So all the free players that see that video will want to buy all kinds of humiliating executions to troll the space marines as much as they can. With this we’ll even be able to monetize trolling.

I don't even know what to say about this.

quote:

To let you understand, I studied war strategy in university and worked for the Canadian army when I was younger, so we are really applying real military strategy to the game and to the Warhammer 40K lore. For instance I’m not too keen about going into the big battles, I’m more of a sneaky guy, so I would create my squad of five to ten people and I would go through the enemy lines covertly, and I would try to destroy all the outposts around the main fortress, because they’ll represent the logistics feeding the fortress itself. I would also kill all the weapon manufacturers providing the enemy with equipment.

Truly the most ground breaking strategy of our time. Who'd have thought there was an alternative to frontal assaults on entrenched positions? He must have been talking to those Navy Seals!

quote:

G: Can you tell us more about combat, and on how it’ll work? How important will cover mechanics be?

M: One of the things I really did not like in my other experiences in MMOs and MOBAs is that people always say not to expect visceral combat like on single player console games, because in MMOs it can’t happen. I say that’s bulls*it. We will have the best combat ever. I don’t mind poeople comparing the combat we’ll feature in our game with what you can find on consoles.

Our combat will be visceral, dirty, you’ll be able to duck behind obstacles, shoot from behind them, the obstacles will be destructable as well, we’re going to have dodging and rolling and melee mixed with ranged combat. It will not just be in sequence. A Space Marine will shoot you in the face with his gun at very close range and then slash you with his sword, and then shoot again. It’s going to be a mix between Gears of War and THQ’s Space Marine, from a third person over-the-shoulder point of view.

Sperg fantasy overload.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Realistic military strategies with power armored space knights with jetpacks, swords and psyker powers. Jesus loving Christ.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
When I first heard of this MMO, I thought that maybe, just maybe, someone would do it right and there'd be four-way faction PvP, with Eldar, Orks, the Imperium, and Chaos all struggling for supremacy (with the Tyranids and maybe Necrons as some PvE enemies).

Then I read about how the Orks were the F2P race and everyone else was likely going to be a "premium" race and my eyes glazed over. I thought ESO was looking like a hot mess, but from what I've read thus far, this makes that look like a polished and streamlined advancement of the genre. :sigh:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Interview posted:

As an example we won’t have the Sisters of Battle at launch. We love them, but the reason why they won’t be playable at launch is because it’s almost impossible to make the kind of power they have fit the lore and make it fun at the same time. They always end up being killed by their own team because their pure blood is useful to defeat demons. It’s very difficult to implement that kind of sacrifice in the gameplay and still make it fun to play as a character.

:pwn:

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't followed 40k since high school, but isn't what he's referencing a thing that happened once (in a rulebook) and was really embarrassing and terrible? I guess I should be glad the devs aren't adding them if they think THAT is their function.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Yes it was one of the more infamous and nonsensical additions to the new grey knights codex by Matt Ward.

The logic was that while fighting the forces of chaos a group of grey knights decided to slaughter some sisters of battle and smear their blood on their power armor in order to avoid any possibility of corruption. It doesn't really make any sense as no grey knight has ever fallen to chaos while there was a sister of battle that did. It's also pretty much a blood sacrifice to khorne.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

whenimmashoo posted:

Yes it was one of the more infamous and nonsensical additions to the new grey knights codex by Matt Ward.

The logic was that while fighting the forces of chaos a group of grey knights decided to slaughter some sisters of battle and smear their blood on their power armor in order to avoid any possibility of corruption. It doesn't really make any sense as no grey knight has ever fallen to chaos while there was a sister of battle that did. It's also pretty much a blood sacrifice to khorne.

:stare:

Suddenly, I'm glad that in recent years, I stuck more with the "collecting and painting miniatures" aspect of 40k, and pretty much ditched the "actually play the game and follow the lore" aspect of it. Because that is some stupid "grim 'n' gritty comic books"-level poo poo.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
This thing will never get off the ground. From what i've heard so far none of their "ideas" are sound or in any way healthy for a free to play game to work. Calling free to play customers "rude, undisciplined and vulgar" is a great way to get those people to play your game.

I reckon this thing will languish in development hell for a few years before quietly being shut down.

Narrowurethra
Mar 11, 2013

BombiTheZombie posted:

Calling free to play customers "rude, undisciplined and vulgar" is a great way to get those people to play your game.

Help my feelings are hurt from reading something true on the Internet.

If this game does make it to release I'll be spending some money on it as I'm sure others will. Claiming it will fail two years before the beta hits is just a tad premature

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Senjuro posted:

So they want the combat to be like Gears of War/Relic's Space Marine and to have hundreds of players at once, including vehicles. Is that even possible? I guess PlanetSide 2 is the closest analog, how many players can it handle before the server shits itself?

We are talking about a console game, so 16 vs 16 will be the norm, max 32 vs 32. Nothing like WW2OL (with it's high cover, different speeds, altitudes and 100 person vis limit) or the mass 1000 man fleets of Eve. Couple of tanks, some land speeders or bikes, 4 squads on foot and a dreadnought. Though I suppose it will be more like 9 Space Marines vs 32 Orks.

Chomp8645 posted:

Truly the most ground breaking strategy of our time. Who'd have thought there was an alternative to frontal assaults on entrenched positions? He must have been talking to those Navy Seals!

This game will never get off the ground, and never be released. The designer is clearly a 12 year old. Which is pretty impressive for a 12 year old though.

Late Edit- Holy loving Christ, every single answer he gives is a loving disaster waiting to happen which already HAS happened in every other MMO. It's like he's from an alternate reality who hasn't seen what happened in every other MMO for the last 15 years.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 15, 2013

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Comstar posted:

We are talking about a console game, so 16 vs 16 will be the norm, max 32 vs 32. Nothing like WW2OL (with it's high cover, different speeds, altitudes and 100 person vis limit) or the Mass 1000 man fleets of Eve. Couple of tanks, some land speeders or bikes, 4 squads on foot and a dreadnought.

Does Defiance enforce limits like that? I thought you could have more players than that in one area.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

Haha, that's amazing. Are we sure this isn't some elaborate hoax/troll aimed at the warhams or something? That is one of the most hilarious interviews I've seen in a long time. My initial hope at the thread title, was very quickly smothered, but now I'm thinking that it's so utterly rediculous, that if they someone pull it off and actually end up making a game, it could be amazing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Comstar posted:

We are talking about a console game, so 16 vs 16 will be the norm, max 32 vs 32. Nothing like WW2OL (with it's high cover, different speeds, altitudes and 100 person vis limit) or the mass 1000 man fleets of Eve. Couple of tanks, some land speeders or bikes, 4 squads on foot and a dreadnought. Though I suppose it will be more like 9 Space Marines vs 32 Orks.

The next gen consoles are quite a bit more powerful than the current ones.

Still this game sounds like its going to flop dicks.

Buuut being able to pay $1 to teabag some dude is a loving awesome idea and I wish PS2 had it.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 15, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Comstar posted:

Late Edit- Holy loving Christ, every single answer he gives is a loving disaster waiting to happen which already HAS happened in every other MMO. It's like he's from an alternate reality who hasn't seen what happened in every other MMO for the last 15 years.

It's amazing how he manages to make both F2P and paying a subscription/premium sound unappealing as all hell. If you're an F2P player, you're a filthy unwashed poor, who is also a troll/griefer! If you're a premium player, watch your back or you will have Orks teabagging you! Neither of those things are exactly making the game sound like a can't-miss extravaganza of fun.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly I think it's refreshing that some developer is going COMPLETELY in a different direction from other MMOs. Maybe it'll become a massive train wreck, but I'm enjoying the breath of fresh air.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's amazing how he manages to make both F2P and paying a subscription/premium sound unappealing as all hell. If you're an F2P player, you're a filthy unwashed poor, who is also a troll/griefer! If you're a premium player, watch your back or you will have Orks teabagging you! Neither of those things are exactly making the game sound like a can't-miss extravaganza of fun.

I have a feeling he wants to make where he can teabag free to play losers AND pay to win losers as a giant bug. Doesn't matter if you're winning, if you're winning too easily, the developers will spawn in Tyranid's and eat you and ha ha they win you lose sucker. And the game will not be balanced, that's part of the design! So 30 Orks or 10 Space Marines vs 1 Bio-Titan, and the Bio-Titan will never ever lose.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Kaizer88 posted:

Honestly I think it's refreshing that some developer is going COMPLETELY in a different direction from other MMOs. Maybe it'll become a massive train wreck, but I'm enjoying the breath of fresh air.

Re-read that interview. This game isn't a breath of fresh air its a blast of rancid fart in all of our faces.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Haha, that's amazing. Are we sure this isn't some elaborate hoax/troll aimed at the warhams or something? That is one of the most hilarious interviews I've seen in a long time. My initial hope at the thread title, was very quickly smothered, but now I'm thinking that it's so utterly rediculous, that if they someone pull it off and actually end up making a game, it could be amazing.

The more I read about their plans, the more it sounds like the complete reverse of that Pathfinder MMO. Instead of having the developers standing above you constantly while pulling their best :smug: face as they try in vain to police their lovely game, they're creating an environment where everyone is hosed over and angry instead.

Edit: Also, that Sisters of Battle thing is hilariously awful (and somewhat creepy). Soulstorm actually got them fairly right, even if they were buggy and lovely as hell when it came to actual gameplay.

Just have them burn everything forever, with every unit carrying flamethrowers or being batshit crazy berserkers screaming about "purifying" you constantly. They're basically every violent religious cliche in the other factions mashed together and taken up to eleven, which isn't that hard to do in gameplay terms really.

In fact, they'd be a good excuse to add Farcry-esque fire mechanics to the game. Not that i'd expect a company like this to be able to pull something like that off.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 16, 2013

Narrowurethra
Mar 11, 2013
The game is not confirmed for consoles, they are only considering it at this point.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Purgey posted:

Re-read that interview. This game isn't a breath of fresh air its a blast of rancid fart in all of our faces.

It's more that most devs come out with bland statements like "we greatly value our f2p audience and will strive to make them feel as important as paying customers" and the like. This company has just gone crazy saying things like "we want paying members to be space marine vs f2p scum being orks with teabag emotes"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Kaizer88 posted:

It's more that most devs come out with bland statements like "we greatly value our f2p audience and will strive to make them feel as important as paying customers" and the like. This company has just gone crazy saying things like "we want paying members to be space marine vs f2p scum being orks with teabag emotes"

I do have to admit that open contempt for what will likely be the bulk of their (potential) customer base is rather a novel approach. :v:

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

quote:

M: That’s another part that they don’t want me to talk about. They know me and they know me and they briefed me on what I can say…

I get the serious impression "they" knew this guy wasn't taking his meds this week.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

If you bought an existing mmo, changed the art assets to 40k and added more guns, it would be more successful (and viable) than this. If you licensed world of tanks and changed all the tanks to 40k ones you'd make a lot of money. In fact, if you'd like more ideas from me, please msg me for competitive rates.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Guys. Come on guys. He already said that the combat is going to be awesome. Like, comparable to consoles awesome! They wouldn't allow him to make a statement like that unless it were one hundred percent verifiably true.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

xutech posted:

If you bought an existing mmo, changed the art assets to 40k and added more guns, it would be more successful (and viable) than this. If you licensed world of tanks and changed all the tanks to 40k ones you'd make a lot of money. In fact, if you'd like more ideas from me, please msg me for competitive rates.

If they had been smart, they could have made money just by making various SM chapters/Eldar craftworlds/Ork clans/Chaos legions cash shop items alone. You start out as an Ultramarine (or Alatoic, or Goff, or Black Legion), and then if you want to play a Blood Angel (or Biel-Tan, or Evil Sunz, or Word Bearers), you just buy it in the cash shop. 40K grognards would eagerly have paid cash money to represent their favorite army in-game.

That's literally all they needed to do. Take your idea (slap a WH40K coat of paint on an existing MMO), and then just make various 40K cosmetic stuff cash-shop only items. It'd literally have been a license to print money, especially when compared to whatever this game is supposed to be. :sigh:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Holy poo poo. This is like some shut-in angry spergs fantasy, not an actual game plan by a legit developer.

"Obviously F2P players are undisciplined proles. They shall by crushed by the ubermensch P2P players :smug:"

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
https://twitter.com/40kcrusade/status/345244661255917568

They're planning on doing an AMA soon. Should be... interesting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Forgive my ignorance, but what is an AMA?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Senjuro posted:

Realistic military strategies with power armored space knights with jetpacks, swords and psyker powers. Jesus loving Christ.

I will forever live my life by this quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Revener posted:

Relic is low standards? They only made Dawn of war, probably the best 40k computer game out there.

Edit: Please note that the last Dawn of war 1 expansion was NOT made by relic and made fun of in dawn of war 2

• Locked thread