Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is there an opinion on Baker's and Smith's inflection on the characters? Unless there's some other dialogue that recently came out, all they've got is one line in the new trailer.

EDIT: Also, I hope they hurry up and release a gameplay demo of Arkham Origins. The gameplay shown in the new trailer doesn't show off the game too well and the sooner I can say if the game looks bad or not the better. For right now all I've got is a bunch of story stuff.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would like to hear some more of Smith as Batman and Baker as Joker before I really pass any judgment on the quality of voice, but it's not like it's hard to give Batman and Joker good voices. So many voices could fit either character since they're interpretable in many different ways and it's pretty rare you find a bad voice for either. What I wanna hear is who they got to voice Deathstroke because it changes like every game he's in. First it's Patrick Seitz in MKvsDC, then Larry Grimm in Arkham City Lockdown, then JG Hertzler in Injustice and I'm positive they're gonna get another guy for this game too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

This version of the combat will probably be fine given that they are copy pasting it with a a few new animations.

So why would I buy this game then? I already have Arkham City.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BreakAtmo posted:

Story, plus the fact that the game includes not only the entirety of Arkham City from back when it was still part of Gotham, but also a whole new section of Gotham just as big.

The story really should not be a factor considering these games have never done anything special with that. The new parts of Arkham City could be good though, I don't care about it before it was ruined, but adding on to it could be interesting. Hopefully it's just more than one small area with one thing to do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beeez posted:

They admitted in that Reddit AMA that Deathstroke wasn't even originally supposed to be playable and they just enjoyed their version so much they wanted to give him some playable maps. It doesn't really say anything about the quality of the rest of the game, and I don't really know why people are complaining that the gameplay seems largely the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Arkham City's gameplay didn't really need to be changed in my opinion.

In my opinion, the gameplay should always seek to advance. I mean Arkham City's is pretty great, but it could still see to have more to it. The game looks fine though and it's probably gonna be pretty fun. Is there any word yet on if the multiplayer is actually going to be good or not or are they just shoving it in because every big game these days needs multiplayer?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trickjaw posted:

I thought he was being voiced by JG Hertzler. It didn't sound like him, or anything I have previously seen. Surely they haven't fired everyone's favourite Klingon?

He's actually voiced by Mark Rolston in this. Yes, the same Mark Rolston who voiced nerdy rear end Lex Luthor in Injustice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Human Crouton posted:

Current rumor, from those that have been playing the game is that The Joker is somehow operating on information sent him from the future, about his death from the disease caused by the titan formula, and that he is manipulating the entire scenario in a way that young Batman will have enough experience by the end of the game to take on Bane. He then creates a situation where Batman must kill Bane, making certain that Bane cannot be experimented on in Arkham Asylum, thus never giving The Joker the opportunity to kill himself with the titan formula.

This is not going to happen, but I want it so badly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Action Tortoise posted:

The Animated Series episode Mad Love did a great job showing Harley's descent and how painfully possible it is for her to shape up if she really tried. Injustice had Alternate Earth Harley meeting another Joker and realizing how terrible he is.

Unfortunately this was after she was already established as her own character who became self-dependent and she re-fell in love with him after he beat her up. Injustice's story fittingly enough does no justice to Harley and she just acts Joker's girl until he attempts to kill her for the umpteenth time and she's finally like "Wow, what an rear end in a top hat."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh question, if I got a steam key from someone else for this does that mean I get the pre-purchase DLC stuff or do I have to buy it directly from Steam to get it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mine doesn't unlock for two hours and I'm really annoyed by this, oh well I'll get to play AA5 a bit while waiting.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've had a glitch so far while fighting Killer Croc where if he got near the fence while I was near them then the game would lose sound and then proceed to crash. This is already off to an absolutely wonderful start. Also, did the 360 controls of the previous games have the gadgets mapped to the left trigger, because it feels very awkward to use L2 to use gadgets on my PS3 controller with Motioninjoy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That Deathstroke boss fight was too loving good, holy poo poo. I can't imagine any boss in the game topping it, but we will see.

(Major Plot Spoiler)
I'm really annoyed Joker is the main villain again, especially since Black Mask is a really underutilized Batman villain that can be really great. I don't even really care for the story in these games, but I would've liked to not see so much Joker.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, that Copperhead fight was really dull and uninteresting and that (Spoiler, I guess?) first fight with Bane would've been much better if enemies didn't get involved. So far the Deathstroke boss is the only one I've enjoyed so far and it feels so far like they've put more work into him than the other two. Which would make sense since he was like the first boss announced.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh, the voice acting in Under the Red Hood is by and large amazing and DiMaggio sells most of his lines very well (For the rather short time he's in the movie). I mean, in general it's very hard to not find a good voice with the Joker, he's a character that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways so just about any voice works really except Brent Spiner's.

redbackground posted:

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is pretty great, and James Woods is PERfectly cast as alternate-earth Batman.

James Woods is so so so loving good in that movie, everyone needs to watch it just for his character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Hamill's not the definitive Joker even if he is the most beloved voice for him. Much like how Kevin Conroy is basically the favorite Batman voice, but very few of the succeeding voices are actually inspired by him. I'd prefer it if everyone did their own take on a character rather than ape someone else's style, no matter how good said style is. For instance, Kevin Michael Richardson did a fantastic job as the Joker in The Batman. He doen't sound even remotely similar and his voice is pretty deep, but he's able to convey a wide range of emotion and styles because he knows what the character is. The only problem with The Batman's Joker is his design unfortunately which turns a lot of people off to that version.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RyokoTK posted:

Well I doubt there will be another jump so substantial as that. How do you escalate beyond Arkham City? Arkham County? Arkham Country? Big-rear end Arkham World?

Silver Age Batman

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished the game last night and man, this game really just ended up being what I thought it would be when it was announced. The game feels very much the same, but it changes things that either shouldn't have been changed or extremely minute changes. Why is the skill progression system so linear? Who benefits from that? Why are there so many snipers? They are the easiest thing to kill any desire to mess around in the open world. It feels so much slower getting around the city, probably because I have less points to grapple on to and the boss fights in the game for the most part are unspectacular (Deadshot) or just plain not fun (Every Bane fight). Deathstroke and Firefly were both great boss fights, the conclusive scene with the Joker was great, the story is good, and I love the Remote Claw, but this doesn't really save the game from just feeling, generic. Which is a shame, because both of the previous games did a great job of making you feel like Batman and this one just feels like they settled for "Hey, we can do gameplay almost as good as Rocksteady's." It's really disappointing because I started off really enjoying the game, but after Deathstroke, everything just sort of fell apart.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they did a good job designing it but conversations in this thread make it very clear they needed to redesign the skill system as people were just getting Disarm and Disable and never using anything else ever. That kind of implies it is not a move that it should be available early in the game because it's making people never do anything but it and in turn causing them to have severe issues. They really did need to create a tree that puts super-powerful moves later on so people have reason to actually try different abilities out instead of getting one do-all move and then getting completely stuck when the combat system rewards anything else. (See how many people never use a glue grenade on Firefly or the Batclaw on Deathstroke.)

Fair enough on the idea of changing up the skill progression. D&D is very easy to rely on for tougher enemies and will not teach you good habits if you just focus on getting it, but I find it really weird a game about different ways to approach enemies wouldn't give you an idea to vary up your tactics. I just don't think the same way as people.

Also on the subject of Firefly and the glue grenades, I never actually knew you could use those on him and I had hints on and everything. I just threw batarangs at him and enjoyed the fight for being rather fast and intense. Although a weird thing did happen where at the end of the QTE to finish the fight, a glue grenade just blasts open and hits Firefly in the middle of scene then the actual cutscene pops up and he's got no glue on him. Also, I didn't know you could do that with Deathstroke either, I just sort of fought him one on one with no gadgets because I thought it was fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He didn't even seem like he had any real unique moves, most of them just look ripped from other characters especially his cape stun. If he is a DLC character there's not gonna be a lot to him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jolan posted:

I got that Arkham Origins skins pack from the WB Games Humble Bundle laying around. Anyone want it?

You got PMs?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, let me tell you the most interesting part of Batman was how he beat up ninjas in some random temple and not the loving streets of Gotham.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the more annoying thing is that Harley seems to perpetually have her Brooklyn accent despite actually getting it after becoming clown lady... oh and she's a complete idiot, but I don't really expect anything more from a current depiction of Harley really.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

blackguy32 posted:

Under the Red Hood had be rooting for the Red Hood to win

Except it wasn't. Jason Todd is very clearly portrayed as someone who is wrong in every single thing he says and thinks. If you seriously believe that movie was rooting for him, then you read far too much into stuff that wasn't there.

EDIT: My bad

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 4, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I found pummeling the poo poo out of the Joker at the end to be very cathartic because I am so very loving tired of seeing him now, especially in this game when I was looking forward to Black Mask.

That and I love JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beeez posted:

What made you excited for Black Mask? He generally seems like a pretty lame villain to me. Not trying to start poo poo or say you're wrong, just genuinely curious.

Black Mask isn't like... a super cool villain or anything, but I was happy to see they were going to use THE Mafia Boss in the Batman series for an origin game of Batman. Black Mask doesn't exactly have grandiose amazing plans, but he's a fun character to watch put together plans. He's got a secretary who has snide back and forth with him, he's genuinely pretty snarky himself, and will lose his poo poo at the drop of a hat. On top of that, the dude can be a cold motherfucker mafioso when he's actually handling people who aren't his clients or employees. From a character perspective, he's actually a reflection of Bruce Wayne, the side we never get to see in any of these games because he's already taken on the "Dark Knight" ideology by the points these games happen. He's a millionare who had lovely parents, ran his company into the ground, and also has a snarky secretary that helps him get his plans together. I mean, he's not final boss material or anything, but he would've been perfect for what they were trying to do. The story ended up being good, but I'm just tired of Joker at this point. If I did not see him as a major character in anything Batman for the next five years, I would have no complaints because I've just seen so loving much of him since The Dark Knight and I want someone to actually explore another part of Batman's rogues.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, Under the Hood is the story Under the Red Hood is adapted from. In that one Black Mask never hired Joker and Joker had already been kidnapped by Red Hood and beaten with the crowbar. Under the Red Hood changed quite a few things from the original story and it's better for that because the original story sucked.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought it was a fun boss fight because it's fast paced in just a one-on-one fight where you counter at the appropriate time while punching. You can do the fight methodically if you want, but just going the gently caress in there and trying to beat him in a fist fight is amazing and makes the fight intense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I remember the first time I got into reading comics in my teens and borrowed that Spidey comic from the library and it was hilarious. That comic book made me realize comics own. I really hope the Arkham Knight is the Joker just to bring this series full circle on dumb comic book bullshit adapted perfectly to the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Origins really ruined me on the Arkham formula just by doing nothing really new and anything it tried to do differently was mishandled to all hell. Most of the bosses sucked, Deathstroke and Firefly being the only two I really liked, and the tiered upgrade system is just awful. Rocksteady doing Arkham Knight gives me hope, but I dunno I'm kind of soured on the formula at this point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

achillesforever6 posted:

Its kind of funny how many characters in the Arkhamverse that Troy has voiced, I mean first he was Two-Face and Robin, now the Joker, hell I think he could be a great Batman if they let him.

He's already voiced Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEY51aGS4Q

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started playing Arkham Origins Blackgate and my first problem is the game is on rails, but is trying to have the Arkham Combat system too? This is really weird.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How good is Cold, Cold Heart? I played the Initiation campaign last night and was rather disappointed by it, I'm hoping CCH provides a lot more in the way of actual level structure and a good boss fight (Maybe?).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In what ways was it better? Faster? More moves? Counter canceling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My faith in Batman has been restored, need to buy Arkham Knight on release.

• Locked thread