Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NecroMonster posted:

This also means the whole point of the entities (Scion and the other) experiment has been fulfilled, only because the entities cannot be reformed, Scion (mistakenly) thinks the whole thing has been a failure.

I totally did not get that whole chapter, what was the point of the experiment anyway?

NecroMonster posted:

I really really doubt that Scion has any plan beyond killing every human being he can get his hands on. He's honestly just not smart enough for anything else.

I think trying to call Scion smart or dumb in the way we think of being those things is a futile endeavor. You know how Lovecraftian Gods are just these ineffable beings with ideas and thoughts that just don't jive with the way we think? That's Scion: A horrible alien consciousness that is completely foreign to anything humanity has ever known.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hollylolly posted:

So, what are the odds at this point that Worm ends with all the Earths exploding?

I'm holding out for the Travelers to arrive again from Aleph at some point. For all the talk of alternate Earths at this point Aleph has been pretty blatantly left out.

Aleph also has a really small concentration of powers, though, doesn't it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well that was a thing that happened.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That was a hell of an ending.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dietrich posted:

I would really prefer it if she were dead. It makes her whole story of sacrifice for the greater good that much more powerful. And I'm tired of every single media I consume being set up for sequels.

There's already stuff seeded for a sequel that isn't necessarily about Taylor. The Sleeper is the most obvious one. But I agree, I don't think Taylor needs to be rehabbed and brought back to normalcy, it works better as her making that one last sacrifice to save the world.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AgentHaiTo posted:

So just to get this straight, Imp has suddenly been so witty recently because once you correct her because she made one of her stupid puns, she can use her power to make you forget she just said something, and then say it as it was perfectly timed? So around Tattletale she was especially smart, because Tattletale always likes to tell people they are wrong...

That and she's actually been making the effort to get smarter so she can be as big of an rear end in a top hat as Regent was.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Someone in the comments section mentions other web seral things, and there's one called The Named that I can't track down. Anyone have a link to this one?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TOOT BOOT posted:

You don't even know what the sequel would be about or who the main character would be, I think there are plenty more stories you could tell in the Wormiverse.

The odds are good that it'll feature the Sleeper though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just started mother of learning and it owns hard

Zach being insanely blase about the fact that's he's groundhog day-ing everything is the BEST

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elyv posted:

I tried to read Mother of Learning a few years back, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why.

Because you suck

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey quick reminder that the interlude at the end of chapter four of Worm is the best chapter in the whole thing

That's the one from Brutus' POV

Edit more specifically the one where he is a very good boy and helps Rachel fuckin destroy a dog fighting ring

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 21, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like Taylor and also the Undersiders, superheroes are just volunteer praetorian guard for the ruling class

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah considering time loop/time freeze poo poo is usually like, groundhog's day meets the hyperbolic time chamber, where you just run it forever until you find the perfect series of events and mastermind it in a way that your opponent can't, having zorian realize pretty early on that "oh poo poo there's a third dude in here and he's doing the same thing we are" and then continiuing to make that dude a threat owns

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neurosis posted:

oh the ruling class would've been onto the parahumans long before. and they would've been morally in the right to do so. sure they might rule through wealth and political power, but that provides more protection and more chance of climbing for the common man than a system based on a lottery of magic powers.

that's something peculiarly absent from worm - everything is superhuman driven. the reaction by any group of powerful and intelligent normal humans is strangely absent.

It's almost like part of superhero fiction is suspending your disbelief

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neurosis posted:

in this kind of story, particularly where the author goes to huge efforts to build the world, the suspension of disbelief should concern the physically impossible things like the tinker tech, superpowers, and entities. it's valid to find a lack of realism in another aspect to be a flaw. anyway it's not like i'm saying this totally undermines the story, it's just one background detail i'm not too sold on.

Why don't the police just gun the joker down as soon as he's in custody

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Working through book one of Twig and man I wanna know about the Hangman and why he'd called the man with the hands

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 23, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Please don't distribute, period. Every time this happens it risks his ability to publish, because publishers won't print something distributed like that.

word, i'll delete that bit. my bad y'all

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
in other news i love how arc 1 of twig feels less like an origin story/setup bit and more like an entire independent story of its own

poo poo rules

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Twig Chapter Two: just got to the off handed mention that the Crown is America and I just holy poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not exactly, but the Crown States are America.

Oh. Well that's less interesting because it's what I figured was going on originally.

Anyway the Whiskers arc is decent and I like the look at the politics at the Academy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Namarrgon posted:

Twig is exceptionally good and has remained that way until at least arc 18 (where I am now).

i was kinda

not lukewarm on it but i wasn't sure of its strength as a serial for most of the first arc, because it didn't really seem to have a hook to turn it into an ongoing thing vs a solid novella

the first Enemy chapter sold me on it though, i'm fuckin in

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I figured out why I like twig

So far it's just a long series of ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Twig #3: not as big a fan of the main story as I was in the last two books but the enemy chapter at the end more than made up for it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Twig pt 4 thoughts:i like how much of this was the lambs just being totally out of their depth, and also the reveal of what project caterpillar actually is is fuckin wild

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Shortest Path posted:

The clown chapters were among the best things I've read recently. I really, really like Wandering Inn.

When does it start to pick up because the beginning is kinda not great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Worm readalong podcast is real good and pointing out things I missed the first time I read it by blasting through at top speed to get caught up. Like I never caught on to all the "Taylor is a hella unreliable narrator and also kinda sucks butts" stuff early on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I like how they're pointing out Taylor's (pretty major) flaws. From what they've said during the podcast (I'm up to arc 14 now) it sounds like they got some backlash from readers due to criticizing Taylor, which doesn't surprise me since a LOT of readers seem to have come away from Worm with the impression Taylor is super correct and good and everyone in the story is just dumb for not agreeing with her all the time.

I'll be curious about what they say in the next few arcs, since I seem to remember some of my least favorite parts coming up (like the arc where all the Dragon suits come).

Yeah pretty much everything they said from minute one is something where I went "....huh yeah I never noticed that before"

Honestly Taylor kinda being a shithead but it not being super blatant and in your face and The Point just makes me more impressed with Wildbow. I'm so fuckin hype for Twig to end so we get Worm 2. I wanna know where this story goes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Namarrgon posted:

Considering Pact and Twig, I'd give Wildbow the benefit of the doubt with Taylor.

But yeah, Skitter is the least interesting part of Worm.

Twig is super explicitly about a manipulative butthole who has good intentions and fights worse people but is still Not Good

I love it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Granted I'm only on like arc uhhhh five or six of twig (it's the one after the lady who's been taking the Wyverm formula has been introduced) but literally every climax so far is Sy going "oh poo poo" as his plans get utterly hosed or he gets out played by someone smarter and the Lambs scrambling to salvage a win

Unrelated Clockblocker is the best name in Worm

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also listening to We Got Worm, after arc 5 Scott predicts that the Undersiders boss is actually Tattletale just bullshitting the hell out of the team and holy poo poo that would have been great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also the chapter where Taylor and her dad have the meeting with the school is the best chapter in the entire thing

Fight me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gently caress okay yeah I'll call it a tie because the Brutus chapter rules. He's a good boy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think chapter five of Twig is the best I've read yet (spoilers I'm only up through chapter five now) once it gets going. Throwing the lambs into a situation that is entirely beyond their capabilities to handle is a lot of fun

My goal right now is to try to power through twig so that I finish it at or around the same time it ends and Electric BoogaGrue starts, then reread Worm and Pact to pass the time between updates of Die Wormer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That was pretty good, but the whole Taylor Gets Arrested arc was longer and also amazing.

I am admittedly a sucker for People In A Room structure. :v:

We were both wrong, it's Brutus Goes Dogfighting

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The thing with "well you don't see any alternatives" is that it's all Taylor's hella biased POV. Of course we the audience don't see any other outs, she doesn't see any outs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calef posted:

Doctor nailed it, I think.

It's important to reexamine what Taylor's "successes" actually bought her. Yes, she wins *fights*, but the relentless escalation of the story brings her to a point where she is literally stripped of her humanity--where she's forcing everyone to cooperate with her--, and then Tattletale (again) figures out how to actually defeat the bad guy.

Like, do you actually think she gets a happy ending? What do you think the *point* of Worm is?

also the hero gets double tapped at the end and has to leave behind everyone she cares about, all of whom think she's dead

happy!

anyway in the interest of derailing the derail what do y'all think Worm 2 is gonna be about slash what do you hope to see plot wise

i hope it's just about tattletale managing a criminal empire, like an office comedy except somebody farts sarin

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think it'd be poetic if it was about a bad hero instead of a good villain.

Imagine Hong Kong Phooey but he's trying to be a villain and keeps accidentally saving everyone and has a really heroic looking power

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for sacrificing your humanity to save reality Taylor, here's two in the dome, also you have no purpose anymore because this thing you built your life around has been ripped away, you're welcome

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

Again, this is inaccurate. Taylor was not killed by Contessa. The final chapter is of Taylor in paradise with all of her mental faculties intact.

she's missing an arm, shes got holes in her head, and her purpose in life is gone, also she knows exactly one person on an entire planet

paradise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

Claiming that people missing arms or with disfigurements can't be happy is a radical position, I'll give you that.

However, in the final chapter, she actually has two arms as there is direct mention of her having "two hands". She also does not have holes in her head but slight dimples.

And it's at least two people, actually. Her father is there with her. Taylor is having a happy family reunion. I'm fairly sure she even glimpses Regent among the crowds, too.

This is not even talking about that Taylor's purpose in life, as Skitter and everything that came with it, is seemingly considered by many as to be Taylor's key flaw.

Your reading is based on an incomplete understanding of the text.

You should probably lead the last wpiloge where she has a fake arm and hates it and isn't actually happy and her last line is that she thinks maybe someday she'll be okay

For someone who complains about everyone else's reading off the text you are real bad at knowing what actually happens

• Locked thread